Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I keep forgetting that Noel Fielding isn't Noel Clarke. I know they have nothing to do with each other, but I have difficulty grasping that more than one famous person is named loving Noel.

Noel Clarke definitely doesn’t wear a wig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

I keep forgetting that Noel Fielding isn't Noel Clarke. I know they have nothing to do with each other, but I have difficulty grasping that more than one famous person is named loving Noel.

And neither of them are Vtubers.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

You forgot Noel Edmonds. And in doing so, you just made a very powerful enemy in him.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kim Justice posted:

You forgot Noel Edmonds. And in doing so, you just made a very powerful enemy in him.

He's the one responsible for Mr. Blobby. I can never forget him no matter how I try.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kim Justice posted:

You forgot Noel Edmonds.

There also a Gallagher. They have a plethora of Noels.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skippy McPants posted:

And good for him. I'm glad ProZD is livin' the dream. He always seemed way too happy and well-adjusted for YouTube anyway.

He's voicing Senshi the dwarf in Delicious in Dungeon and living the dub actor dream because Senshi has no lip flaps to match.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

He's the one responsible for Mr. Blobby. I can never forget him no matter how I try.

Maybe it's because of how overplayed it must have been over in it's host country but from a distance, Mr Blobby remains funny to me.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Noel Edmonds is a dick

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
He's ALWAYS been a dick. He lost his poo poo at a TV critic saying House Party was bad and ranted at them for like a minute on live Saturday night TV, he believes in and promotes The Secret like bullshit, he had a show on Sky called Noel's HQ that was a thinly veiled way for him to just yell at local government workers... He's a very competent presenter, just an awful person.

Also I'm sad to hear Chris Barrie went off the deep end, he always struck me as being a harmless nerd-in-a-shed type with his fondness for cars and trains and big engines in general.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

Also I'm sad to hear Chris Barrie went off the deep end, he always struck me as being a harmless nerd-in-a-shed type with his fondness for cars and trains and big engines in general.

He didn't have to dig deep to find Rimmer, you're saying?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Noel Edmonds killed a man.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah he's spent the last few years going crazy about UK politics and getting loopier and loopier about it. I was going through his old posts via the Wayback Machine and at first I suspected that the covid pandemic lockdowns had broken his brain but it started even before that. Here's August 2019: https://web.archive.org/web/20190913033948/http://www.chrisbarrie.co.uk/

What is wrong with this blog post?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr Hootington posted:

What is wrong with this blog post?

It's the start of him going nuts but it's not particularly off the deep end yet, although the part where he talks about how "acts of common sense in this country may soon be viewed as acts of criminality" is a hint at the direction he's heading. It's not until later posts that he starts ranting about "the wheels of rampant globalisation, the enslavement of humanity and insane wokery" and the like.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It's the start of him going nuts but it's not particularly off the deep end yet, although the part where he talks about how "acts of common sense in this country may soon be viewed as acts of criminality" is a hint at the direction he's heading. It's not until later posts that he starts ranting about "the wheels of rampant globalisation, the enslavement of humanity and insane wokery" and the like.

The full quote

quote:

As far as the ‘big picture’ is concerned, the outgoing year has witnessed the wheels of rampant globalisation, the enslavement of humanity and insane wokery begin to turn ever more quickly and I shall be continuing to remind readers of this psychopathic management of decline as we go forward.

Seems fine to me. A lot of these little bits from his old blog posts make refernce to current leaders and parliament failing Britain. The Tories have been in control that entire time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr Hootington posted:

The full quote

Seems fine to me. A lot of these little bits from his old blog posts make refernce to current leaders and parliament failing Britain. The Tories have been in control that entire time.

No one has ever accused the Tories of "insane wokery", he's clearly talking about something else

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

No one has ever accused the Tories of "insane wokery", he's clearly talking about something else

You are making an assumption of negative intent. Unless he has clarified elsewhere, I see no problem in his statements.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

He's ALWAYS been a dick. He lost his poo poo at a TV critic saying House Party was bad and ranted at them for like a minute on live Saturday night TV, he believes in and promotes The Secret like bullshit, he had a show on Sky called Noel's HQ that was a thinly veiled way for him to just yell at local government workers... He's a very competent presenter, just an awful person.

Even YEARS before House Party, following the tragic and horrendously neglectful death of Michael Lush on rehearsals for the Late, Late Breakfast Show's "Give It A Whirl" segment (segment where ordinary members of public take part in dangerous stunts that had already resulted in a couple of injuries, in which the BBC cut all manner of corners when it comes to health + safety especially for this fatal incident), his first appearance on TV afterwards was an interview where he talked about the tragedy entirely in the ways that it affected him, almost seeming resentful that Lush's death had been this impedence to his burgeoning career. A truly odious creature.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kim Justice posted:

Even YEARS before House Party, following the tragic and horrendously neglectful death of Michael Lush on rehearsals for the Late, Late Breakfast Show's "Give It A Whirl" segment (segment where ordinary members of public take part in dangerous stunts that had already resulted in a couple of injuries, in which the BBC cut all manner of corners when it comes to health + safety especially for this fatal incident), his first appearance on TV afterwards was an interview where he talked about the tragedy entirely in the ways that it affected him, almost seeming resentful that Lush's death had been this impedence to his burgeoning career. A truly odious creature.

Yeah he's dreadful. I really am staggered that Noels HQ exists despite everything before it, it really is just a man yelling at everything.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Skippy McPants posted:

And good for him. I'm glad ProZD is livin' the dream. He always seemed way too happy and well-adjusted for YouTube anyway.

I love his 'response to your questions' videos where he clearly has no patience for some of the dumb poo poo he frequently gets asked. Man keeps it real.

I just hope he keeps putting out funny skits once in a blue moon whenever he has a good idea for one.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Any good vids recently? Been having some Rambalac in the background while doing chores myself.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Re: Miniminuteman selling archaeological jewelry merch

Since I started this conversation I should probably clarify that I don't have any problem with it (as long as Milo hasn't sunk any of his own funds into the project), I just thought it was funny given the previous discussion ITT

Edit: also I much prefer that their sponsored ad section is something they're genuinely interested in rather than Squarespace or, god forbid, EstablishedTitles

Yeah, despite my deep aesthetic reservations I can't really hate the dude for doing something different. I do have a feeling he's gonna end up learning a hard lesson about the logistics of selling mass-market merch, though.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndIpK6lfbwk

Short video on a guy who was allegedly kidnapping young women to join his cult turns out he was just a really charismatic Christian pastor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6YW-GUD78E

One of the fitness youtubers who actually knows what he's talking about and doesn't promise miracle slimming pill or exercise. This is actually a full week thing focused on cardio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q46wTbzOoTA

Looking at a lovecraftian visual novel on the PC 98 which is pretty fascinating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3uNYjJRTq0

They usually do older horror games but recognise that lethal company has some really good gameplay mechanics which is definitely going to be aped by future co op games. Didn't know there were that many variety of monsters, including a spider where ticking the arachnophobia accessibility option will give you a monster in the form of the word "spider"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uvQrUXQqQA

Hell yeah

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
They found out why bugs are attracted to lights: they aren't, they're getting confused about what direction is forward and trapped circling around endlessly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLe0Zk31_U

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Re: Miniminuteman selling archaeological jewelry merch

Since I started this conversation I should probably clarify that I don't have any problem with it (as long as Milo hasn't sunk any of his own funds into the project), I just thought it was funny given the previous discussion ITT

Edit: also I much prefer that their sponsored ad section is something they're genuinely interested in rather than Squarespace or, god forbid, EstablishedTitles

It's like the third or fourth time he's made "Bespoke Jewellery Modeled on Bones" or whatever. He's decided that's his marketing gimmick with the episodes he does on pre-human hominid fossil ancestors. I do kind of wonder if Ape Skull Jewellery sells that much.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kim Justice posted:

There's multiple episodes of House Party, especially in series 6+7 where he straight up rages on camera about technical things going wrong as well. At one point pulling an effects guy on camera to humiliate specifically after a gunge tank didn't go off properly. That's before you get into all the stories about him being incredibly creepy at any woman who was on Deal or No Deal, some of which he straight up invited to his house.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

One of the fitness youtubers who actually knows what he's talking about and doesn't promise miracle slimming pill or exercise. This is actually a full week thing focused on cardio.
No. Athlean quite frequently gives out bad info and junk science.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's like the third or fourth time he's made "Bespoke Jewellery Modeled on Bones" or whatever. He's decided that's his marketing gimmick with the episodes he does on pre-human hominid fossil ancestors. I do kind of wonder if Ape Skull Jewellery sells that much.

Apparently they only made a limited run of 50 ape skull rings and they sold out in 6 hours: https://sweetleafjewellery.com/products/sahelanthropus-tchadensis

Looks like they're actually underestimating the demand by a huge margin. :psyduck: poo poo, I think Milo may have actually struck on a good deal here where he gets a steady supply of archaeology-themed jewelry for himself at minimum risk

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

He also got caught lifting fake weights lol.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Only fitness youtuber I trust is Dr. Mike and only because he has a terrible sense of humor I can appreciate.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Apparently they only made a limited run of 50 ape skull rings and they sold out in 6 hours: https://sweetleafjewellery.com/products/sahelanthropus-tchadensis

Looks like they're actually underestimating the demand by a huge margin. :psyduck: poo poo, I think Milo may have actually struck on a good deal here where he gets a steady supply of archaeology-themed jewelry for himself at minimum risk

It looks nifty.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pigbuster posted:

They found out why bugs are attracted to lights: they aren't, they're getting confused about what direction is forward and trapped circling around endlessly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLe0Zk31_U

Wait, wasn't this common knowledge?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

One of the best critiques of the whole fitness influencer/youtuber scene was one of the BroScienceLife videos. He starts ranting in character but also kinda breaking the 4th wall -- (paraphrased) "now you're stuck a a 'fitness' channel but actual fitness just requires doing the same thing over and over with very slow progression over a long period of time and once you've made about 10 videos you've probably said everything anyone needs to hear and so you then have to start doing 'what my day is like' vlogs"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDrEvUtHbL8

And the meta-joke is that he then makes another video focused on almost the exact same joke a few months later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI8oHhmuWkc

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

trucutru posted:

Wait, wasn't this common knowledge?
Apparently it has only been studied in depth recently.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/02/07/world/moths-drawn-to-light-behavior-study-scn/index.html

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

i know you know thats not what a healthy and fit body looks like lol. come on. dude looks like a shrink wrapped corpse

fun hater
May 24, 2009

a physically strong body is built like a brick poo poo house, not so dehydrated that he technically qualifies as jerky under fda ruling

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I mean, it's good to have scientific confirmation but, at least from where I am from, this is just one of those "self evident" common knowledge things.

Kinda funny to realize that it was something that wasn't really studied before.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Ah lmao I remember him being recommended by goons, likely some time ago, and I was following general advice. What is even a good non insane fitness guy that isn't the gd liver king

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Ah lmao I remember him being recommended by goons, likely some time ago, and I was following general advice. What is even a good non insane fitness guy that isn't the gd liver king

all fitness guys are bullshit dude. its a scam business.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I just want to know how to lift weights better ugghhh although tbh this year my goal is to be more flexible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

trucutru posted:

I mean, it's good to have scientific confirmation but, at least from where I am from, this is just one of those "self evident" common knowledge things.

Kinda funny to realize that it was something that wasn't really studied before.

I think the difference from folk knowledge, around here anyway, is that the prior belief was they were mistakenly navigating by the moon, or drawn in over distance.
But the study seems to say that low altitude lights only seem to mess with insects at close range, causing them to keep their backs to the light source. Confusing the "up" direction for the insect.