Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I just want to know how to lift weights better ugghhh although tbh this year my goal is to be more flexible

unfortunately im a couch potato who just loves pointing at things and going "fake" and "scam". BUT: one thing youtube actually has that sounds like what youre looking for is daily guided yoga

e: my mom used it when covid hit and she couldnt go to the gym for her yoga classes lol. seemed to scratch the itch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

There are people involved in fields of research that intersect with “fitness” (e.g. pain science, sports medicine, etc.) who put out good articles, are upfront with what the research says and doesn’t say, and are very upfront with the state of biophysical/nutrition/etc. research (fraught).

Note that I say articles and not videos. Some of these folks put out videos but they’re always worse than reading. I may be biased though because I sub to journals.

Anyway if your goal is to be flexible then lol yeah do some yoga.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fun hater posted:

a physically strong body is built like a brick poo poo house, not so dehydrated that he technically qualifies as jerky under fda ruling

my man's skin looks like hes halfway to turning into the sandman and fighting spiderman

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I just want to know how to lift weights better ugghhh although tbh this year my goal is to be more flexible

Just look up whatever exercise you want to do on EXRX.net (they even have them categorized by the body area/muscle you want to work on). And, if possible, spend at least some time with a coach or trainer. Being able to make sure your body is actually doing a movement correctly can be difficult (at least, until you've done that movement hundreds/thousands of times), and having another set of eyes on you helps make sure you are getting it right.

The thing that makes fitness difficult to turn into compelling youtube content (it's mostly well-understood science that is fairly straightforward and just requires slow, dedicated practice over time) actually means it is pretty easy to pick up the basic knowledge from reference material.

fun hater posted:

a physically strong body is built like a brick poo poo house, not so dehydrated that he technically qualifies as jerky under fda ruling

Yeah, that's the "it's just show muscles" lie a bunch of fat guys tell themselves when they see shredded dudes. I'm sure that guy is physically capable of lifting more than 95% of the population, even if his particular focus on aesthetics means he'd have a hard time breaking into that 96th percentile where the competitive strongmen and olympic lifters are.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Yeah general fitness for the general population is not rocket science. It’s the margins full of the genetic freaks and people on gear where the minors start becoming majors, but a lot of this content tries to aim that stuff at gen pop and confuse them to make money. Or just shovels straight up bullshit, but whatever.

Do be aware that a lot of coaches and trainers also peddle bullshit though.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sleng Teng posted:

That is a legitimate worry. But generally if you're actually meeting them in person and doing an actual workout they will be able to point out if you're not hitting the correct range of motion or if you're positioning things in a way that isn't mechanically optimal or anything like that.

Just don't get sucked into joining whatever MLM they might try pitching you once the workout is done.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

That is a legitimate worry. But generally if you're actually meeting them in person and doing an actual workout they will be able to point out if you're not hitting the correct range of motion or if you're positioning things in a way that isn't mechanically optimal.

Just don't get sucked into joining whatever MLM they might try pitching you once the workout is done.

You say that but I know you’ve seen trainers having people do some truly stupid bullshit before lol. But yeah generally one will be able to tell who is real and who isn’t after thinking about it for 5 seconds.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, that's the "it's just show muscles" lie a bunch of fat guys tell themselves when they see shredded dudes.

ssshhh!! shut up!! shut up!!! the world needs more bears!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, that's the "it's just show muscles" lie a bunch of fat guys tell themselves when they see shredded dudes. I'm sure that guy is physically capable of lifting more than 95% of the population, even if his particular focus on aesthetics means he'd have a hard time breaking into that 96th percentile where the competitive strongmen and olympic lifters are.
but if everyones fat how can he lift so many people???

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

The problem with industry-realted youtubers and stuff like that is that realistically there's only 2 years worth of content.

After 2 years, you're left with going even more niche or sucking the new-product/new-fad pipeline. That's why innocuous gym youtubers turn into roided out supplement peddlers claiming natty because they can't talk/show themselves doing their 5x5 workout over and over again

same thing with photography channels - only so much content out there before you have to hop on the "I GOT RID OF ALL MY NIKON/SONY/CANON/FUJI CAMERAS AND REPLACED IT WITH THIS %(Fuji/Canon/Sony/Nikon camera systems)" train every 4 months.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

have you heard the good word about "Diamond" Dallas Page and his Yoga

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Alaois posted:

have you heard the good word about "Diamond" Dallas Page and his Yoga

Lol, I had no idea this was a thing

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
This popper up on my feed earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BF9GpcsJ5Q

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Archer666 posted:

Only fitness youtuber I trust is Adam Ragusea and only because he has a terrible sense of humor I can appreciate.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

I am not sure how certifications work global, but for the US asking carefully if they are ISSA or NASM before starting will at least get you a trainer who understands basic biomechanics and anatomy. everything else can be taken as a grain of salt, lol.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

A college/university gym with a (decent) kinesiology, sports medicine or science, etc. program with affiliated trainers has ime also been a good place to find people who are knowledgeable, but this is obviously not an option available to most folks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sleng Teng posted:

A college/university gym with a (decent) kinesiology, sports medicine or science, etc. program with affiliated trainers has ime also been a good place to find people who are knowledgeable, but this is obviously not an option available to most folks.

do university programs offer the option to work with trainees/students at discounted rates the way dental/barber schools do?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

trilobite terror posted:

do university programs offer the option to work with trainees/students at discounted rates the way dental/barber schools do?

I’m not sure if it’s universal but this has been the case for a few of the institutions I’ve attended.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

There's a guy on tiktok named Rob Lapham who's pretty sane

he spends a lot of time debunking insane fitness influencer garbage and promoting fitness that's centered on individual needs, and he sometimes talks about how he used to be one of those shrink-wrapped jerky looking dudes

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Slotducks posted:

The problem with industry-realted youtubers and stuff like that is that realistically there's only 2 years worth of content.

After 2 years, you're left with going even more niche or sucking the new-product/new-fad pipeline. That's why innocuous gym youtubers turn into roided out supplement peddlers claiming natty because they can't talk/show themselves doing their 5x5 workout over and over again

same thing with photography channels - only so much content out there before you have to hop on the "I GOT RID OF ALL MY NIKON/SONY/CANON/FUJI CAMERAS AND REPLACED IT WITH THIS %(Fuji/Canon/Sony/Nikon camera systems)" train every 4 months.

I can see this with synthesizer youtube channels too.
Jeremy Blake, the guy behind Red Means Recording, seems to struggle with that a bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyRjUd6L4dc
Fortunately (?) for the audience, he gets pretty creative and often times informative with his struggles.

Forget Christian Henson
https://youtu.be/4JxJUITSb8A?si=dWAIGOcm2tf5MtBX
Your synth is trans
https://youtu.be/OiT7yo3qo2o?si=iMoi8y_VrVwT17R_

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6YW-GUD78E

One of the fitness youtubers who actually knows what he's talking about and doesn't promise miracle slimming pill or exercise. This is actually a full week thing focused on cardio.
Hell yeah

Athlean X is kind of a joke my dude.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Ooh, fitness youtubers, a few recs from me:

The good-

Renaissance Periodization
Super focused looks into tons of movements and programs by a professor and bodybuilding coach. Excellent, evidence based work.
Watch it before Mike's mouth gets him cancelled.

Jeff Nippard
Again, evidence based approach. His minimalist training routine was a godsend when my daughter was young and sleep was a luxury. Also some good nutritional advice.

Shredded sports science
Watch his older vids, he made lots of high end stuff on supplements and their various claims then, having said everything he wanted to, stepped back and now basically just released a video every month or so dunking on fitness influencers.

The ok-
Alexander Bromley
Has a powerlifting focus, advice that seems to work for me. Has some hot takes on science based approaches.

Trainer winnie
Good beginner advice, also weird hangups on science, dude literally calls the worst exercises for a given muscle "science based" in his rankings.

Alan Thrall
Dude who owns a gym, has kids but still wants to be strong and fit. Some people don't trust him because he admits in his earlier stuff he had no idea what he was doing. I say that being able to admit you're wrong puts him in the top 90% of youtubers.

Mark Lewis
Was a fat goony 40 year old. Now a 50 year old who runs marathons for fun.

The Bad-
Vshred
gently caress them, laughing stock of the industry

Anyone who swears by supplements other than creatine

Diet loonies like the liver king.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Slotducks posted:

It's tough seeing someone slowly arriving at a niche corner. It's why media reviewers usually have legs - as long as they're not niche enough they're fine. They get to consume and process an endless stream of movies.

Gear reviewers can really get stuck in a corner unless they're well-backed on Patreon, because they start running out. One example is https://www.youtube.com/@AudioPilz and their series Bad Gear, which despite the name is usually showing what a piece of synth gear is good for or making infamously crappy stuff work. But his weekly series depends on a new piece of gear, modern or historic, to work with and after a while the well is starting to run dry.

On the other side, resurrecting the James Somerton discourse, any reasearch-based YouTuber is always in danger of going that way unless they have a Patreon that gives them enough case to vanish for six months; quite simply, few people have enough knowledge to actually be able to research solo a regular show with any real depth, which leads to wiki summarizing or straight plagiarism. So they run out of summarizing their 100-level courses, their specialty, and then are kinda stuck.

It would be great if video platforms paid people enough to not have to free solo a documentary every week or so.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

why do people have to release constant streams of poo poo instead of simply posting when they have material.

stillvisions posted:

It would be great if video platforms paid people enough to not have to free solo a documentary every week or so.

they should pay people nothing lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dr.Mikes a real one. Fitness youtube is a loving mess nothing but drama queens calling eachother out for clicks. My buddy used to send me tens of Greg Doucette videos every day and I'll never recover mentally. loving Iago sounding mf

fun hater
May 24, 2009

if you cant scrounge up direct support from your audience, then your job is just providing mush no one watches to run ads on to bump youtube's metrics

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

carrionman posted:

Mark Lewis
Was a fat goony 40 year old. Now a 50 year old who runs marathons for fun.

I like Mark Lewis but he’s too weirdly embittered and Jordan Peterson-pilled

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I know this is two forbidden topics, but it is absolutely hilarious that a Vtubing company hosed up so badly that they've got Charlie making videos about them. Just astounding work. If you're interested in lovely company drama, this last week has been an absolute wonder over to look at NijiEN.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

fun hater posted:

why do people have to release constant streams of poo poo instead of simply posting when they have material.

Look, they used to be able to post quality content by stealing it but hbomb ruined that so now they have to post poo poo instead. IT'S THE ONLY WAY.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Look, they used to be able to post quality content by stealing it but hbomb ruined that so now they have to post poo poo instead. IT'S THE ONLY WAY.

if a man steals bread to feed his starving family is it wrong? now, what if instead of bread, it was an entire book about gay disney characters

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

fun hater posted:

if you cant scrounge up direct support from your audience, then your job is just providing mush no one watches to run ads on to bump youtube's metrics
I like that kinds of channels that are a side hobby, and also literally present 100 level information for free, without sponsors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9wyZA2nqJM

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fil5000 posted:

HB's Somerton vid really has changed the industry. Vlogbrothers just released a short 5 min video essay but still had to reassure everyone they weren't plagiarising, lol

fun hater
May 24, 2009

B33rChiller posted:

I like that kinds of channels that are a side hobby, and also literally present 100 level information for free, without sponsors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9wyZA2nqJM

YES!!! YES!!!! this is good. this is what the internet is supposed to be for

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/u08Dbm4pATw?si=xQj37RwKVJWv6gad

dulcia domestica

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

There are also an absurd amount of lectures from adjuncts doing material for the 100 and 200 level courses they teach, which are put on youtube since that's the easiest way to make sure they get to all the students taking the class remotely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB1zgUfnFAE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJUCBEcPJAc

Sadly, as you can see from those examples, a lot of them don't have the best audio quality. But sometimes you can get some real bangers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NLzuURxFwY

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

There are also an absurd amount of lectures from adjuncts doing material for the 100 and 200 level courses they teach, which are put on youtube since that's the easiest way to make sure they get to all the students taking the class remotely:

thank god for Singaporean int'l universities for getting me through Data Structures programming.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently they only made a limited run of 50 ape skull rings and they sold out in 6 hours: https://sweetleafjewellery.com/products/sahelanthropus-tchadensis

Looks like they're actually underestimating the demand by a huge margin. :psyduck: poo poo, I think Milo may have actually struck on a good deal here where he gets a steady supply of archaeology-themed jewelry for himself at minimum risk

lol concerns stifled then. Ape jewellery is IN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6YW-GUD78E

One of the fitness youtubers who actually knows what he's talking about and doesn't promise miracle slimming pill or exercise. This is actually a full week thing focused on cardio.

Why does that guy look like someone put David Schwimmer's head on the stock photo of a muscular torso?

Grondoth posted:

I know this is two forbidden topics, but it is absolutely hilarious that a Vtubing company hosed up so badly that they've got Charlie making videos about them. Just astounding work. If you're interested in lovely company drama, this last week has been an absolute wonder over to look at NijiEN.

Vtubing is in the same space for me as pro-wrestling, where people quietly murmur about the drama around me but I don't have the energy to puzzle out the full context, so I appreciate the direct link to whatever the gently caress was happening there.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 13, 2024

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

im going to plagiarize

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eECVzpzkeI

Your Dinosaurs Are Wrong has a new video about the difficulties of transporting fossils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

im going to plagiarize

no please