Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's weird that he didn't mention the geolock and just said they were not aware that any were sold to Russia. If, and it's not a small if, Russia can bypass the geolock, it's probably done by spoofing the location somehow, so the terminals wouldn't show up as being in Russia/at the frontlines. Unless Starlink also secretely hide air tags in there, I don't think there is a way to tell if a terminal was sold to someone 'indirectly' if geolocation was off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Paladinus posted:

It's weird that he didn't mention the geolock and just said they were not aware that any were sold to Russia. If, and it's not a small if, Russia can bypass the geolock, it's probably done by spoofing the location somehow, so the terminals wouldn't show up as being in Russia/at the frontlines. Unless Starlink also secretely hide air tags in there, I don't think there is a way to tell if a terminal was sold to someone 'indirectly' if geolocation was off.

As was discussed earlier, geolocking is hard to implement when the war is fought in Ukrainian territory and frontlines are not set in stone. This is particularly problematic if Ukraine starts taking back territory because then their Starlink terminals won't work until they get support from Starlink.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nenonen posted:

As was discussed earlier, geolocking is hard to implement when the war is fought in Ukrainian territory and frontlines are not set in stone. This is particularly problematic if Ukraine starts taking back territory because then their Starlink terminals won't work until they get support from Starlink.

SpaceX and Ukraine need to have representatives in contact daily, redrawing the lines as necessary. It's a problem that can be solved if they want to.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

SpaceX and Ukraine need to have representatives in contact daily, redrawing the lines as necessary. It's a problem that can be solved if they want to.

Well that's the thing, I don't think their celebrity billionaire CEO wants that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nenonen posted:

It's also got a limited range from which to spoof your location and not immediately fail a simple rationality check; the satellite will know that it's already well out of range of what it is being broadcast. I don't know how limited that range is, but I can't imagine it being too far from the front.

It's also a fascinating way to give away your own position to an enemy who isn't going to trust what you say your position is and can do some calculations of their own based on what satellites can hear you along with your strength and their relative doppler shift.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Volmarias posted:

It's also got a limited range from which to spoof your location and not immediately fail a simple rationality check; the satellite will know that it's already well out of range of what it is being broadcast. I don't know how limited that range is, but I can't imagine it being too far from the front.

It's also a fascinating way to give away your own position to an enemy who isn't going to trust what you say your position is and can do some calculations of their own based on what satellites can hear you along with your strength and their relative doppler shift.

At their altitude starlink satellites would have a maximum footprint diameter of something like 600km (depending on the exact altitude) but I’m sure they’re not each covering their exact maximum footprint, that wouldn’t work at all.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
https://map.ukrdailyupdate.com/

Andrew Perpetua's map updates are looking pretty grim, obviously don't click on icons if you don't want to see pictures etc. I don't think panic is the right response but I do not think people have quite absorbed how dire the situation is for Ukraine currently.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

The Artificial Kid posted:

At their altitude starlink satellites would have a maximum footprint diameter of something like 600km (depending on the exact altitude) but I’m sure they’re not each covering their exact maximum footprint, that wouldn’t work at all.

I'm not questioning whether you're right or wrong, but it would be interesting to see the math here. I imagine there's an upper limit based entirely on what frequency spectrum/power rating the starlink satellites operate on and a lower limit based on the type of antenna, but I'm not sure if there's anything else in play.

I think the bigger problem with spoofing location on the ground terminal side is that the uplink is directional, as previously stated. That means you have an electronically steered antenna trying to do TLE calcs for a given position for all the satellites it "should" be able to see. There's probably some level of error tolerance in there, but if you fake it out too far from where it should be, you're not getting a lock on anything because your antenna is pointing into empty space. Like it would be bonkers if you could somehow fake out the gps location for billing and there's a separate gps location for steering the goddamn antenna.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Bashez posted:

https://map.ukrdailyupdate.com/

Andrew Perpetua's map updates are looking pretty grim, obviously don't click on icons if you don't want to see pictures etc. I don't think panic is the right response but I do not think people have quite absorbed how dire the situation is for Ukraine currently.
I see more icons for destroyed Russian things on this map than Ukrainian ones, can you clarify what you're referring to?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

ShadowHawk posted:

I see more icons for destroyed Russian things on this map than Ukrainian ones, can you clarify what you're referring to?

The recent land changes from Ukraine to contested or Russian controlled. These changes aren't rapid but they're faster than usual and happening on multiple axes.

Andrew has explained previously that he tends to get roughly even footage but Ukraine targets vehicles that they map and count and Russia targets positions/people which get mapped but not quite tallied up in the same way. More Russian poo poo getting blown up is a consequence of this strategy and Russia having more poo poo to lose.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 12, 2024

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

WarpedLichen posted:

I'm not questioning whether you're right or wrong, but it would be interesting to see the math here. I imagine there's an upper limit based entirely on what frequency spectrum/power rating the starlink satellites operate on and a lower limit based on the type of antenna, but I'm not sure if there's anything else in play.

I think the bigger problem with spoofing location on the ground terminal side is that the uplink is directional, as previously stated. That means you have an electronically steered antenna trying to do TLE calcs for a given position for all the satellites it "should" be able to see. There's probably some level of error tolerance in there, but if you fake it out too far from where it should be, you're not getting a lock on anything because your antenna is pointing into empty space. Like it would be bonkers if you could somehow fake out the gps location for billing and there's a separate gps location for steering the goddamn antenna.

I was thinking purely in terms of line of sight, but also got it wrong, I think I was remembering a figure for a lower altitude. It might be in the thousands of kilometres for each starlink satellite

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Bashez posted:

These changes aren't rapid but they're faster than usual and happening on multiple axes.

If the Ukrainian armed forces have been sufficiently degraded by their failed offensive and by Russian shaping operations, the front could shatter dramatically

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Enjoy posted:

If the Ukrainian armed forces have been sufficiently degraded by their failed offensive and by Russian shaping operations, the front could shatter dramatically

This is something people don’t seem to realize. These lines on maps might not be moving much, but the fighting is constant: both sides are expending men and materiel, and barring some unforeseen event, eventually one side is going to suffer some kind of critical shortage of people or things that go boom. Even a temporary shortage might be enough to cause a serious collapse.

It is absolutely shameful that the international community has allowed it to reach this point, when we have all the necessary tools to prevent it.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Enjoy posted:

Is there any sign of that happening or just fearmongering based on feelings?

The last time the front was broken to an extent (IMHO) was around Lysychansk in May through July 2022. That lead to the Ukrainian armed forces retreating and setting up new defense lines.

The only successful penetration operations that could be called a dramatic shattering of the front by the Russian army were in the first few days of the war. And we all saw how that ended up for the Russians.

The Russians have shown zero capability of doing any dramatic offensives when faced with resistance. Even resistance by light infantry and irregulars.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The boring reality of "anything could happen" being technically correct is that "nothing can happen" is also correct and this is just another tuesday.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

The boring reality of "anything could happen" being technically correct is that "nothing can happen" is also correct and this is just another tuesday.

It's Monday, Lemon.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

KillHour posted:

It's Monday, Lemon.

It's tuesday for someone.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

I think the icons are showing attacks not losses. So a red plane indicates a Russian air strike onto Ukraine, not a plane loss.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

It's Monday, Lemon.

SA showing me the time of your post as 2 am, tuesday, is pretty funny.

Defeated by time zones :allears:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

When it's Monday here it's already Tuesday in Russia.... :tinfoil:

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Nenonen posted:

When it's Monday here it's already Tuesday in Russia.... :tinfoil:

That's right, they are just that far ahead of Americans.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/mediazona_en/status/1756746115506909356?t=l_5UdBJHTp8BF2P6I-Lk-Q&s=19

A silly theory about Nepalis here is that someone back in early 2023 told Prigo about gurkha martial traditions and he immediately got hyped. In reality, its probably just a part of the effort to fool migrant workers from wherever possible into signing up.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/mediazona_en/status/1756746115506909356?t=l_5UdBJHTp8BF2P6I-Lk-Q&s=19

A silly theory about Nepalis here is that someone back in early 2023 told Prigo about gurkha martial traditions and he immediately got hyped. In reality, its probably just a part of the effort to fool migrant workers from wherever possible into signing up.

Nepalese are very budget conscious (will holiday where it is cheap) as well as will work pretty much anywhere (and there is bound to be a lot of work in Russia now). Despite legend, the average Gurkha is no more brave than any other expat - definitely way more polite and pleasant but not brave. I don't doubt there are foreign legionaries from Nepal in Russia but 15k is like one in 40 on the Russian side of the front? The evidence would be a spike in returning injured/dead versus the past trends.

That trend is really a bit short to see what it looked like over time before the stirrings of conflict (and Covid) broke out.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Despite legend, the average Gurkha is no more brave than any other expat - definitely way more polite and pleasant but not brave.

Not sure this is true, but the reasons are to do with self-selection and not any innate fantasy race bullshit sort of thing. There's not many openings for Gurkha units and it's a prestigious job, so those who apply are highly motivated individuals and the ones who get in are usually the keenest of the lot. But your larger point is correct, just grabbing Nepali migrant laborers won't get you an effective fighting force any more than taking random Russians off the street would.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I recall there have been previous interviews with Nepalese workers who were pressed to choose between jail and front. But forming actual gurkha units would be risky, they might as well defect or go the Czech Legion way if things were not to their liking.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fatherboxx posted:

Among the Nepalese recruits media spoke to, some were actual mercenaries who participated in various armed conflicts before, but there was at least one who wasn't. I never thought of Russia as a popular destination for Nepalese migrant workers, so I imagine they targeted people with experience first and then some bullshit their way in somehow or recruiters simply stopped caring about who they recruit as they had quotes to fill. 15k is an astonishing number, even if we assume that a lot of them are not at the frontline.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not sure this is true, but the reasons are to do with self-selection and not any innate fantasy race bullshit sort of thing. There's not many openings for Gurkha units and it's a prestigious job, so those who apply are highly motivated individuals and the ones who get in are usually the keenest of the lot. But your larger point is correct, just grabbing Nepali migrant laborers won't get you an effective fighting force any more than taking random Russians off the street would.

It is a prestigious job and if you got into the UK one, it held promise* of retirement in the relative comfort of the UK. That (and reasonable salary compared to other options) was a much larger draw. But sure, some that had not served in Iraq for the British army or whatever had a bit more bravado. I did buy a service Kukri off one though. Really awesome.

*that the UK tried to renege on in a really lovely way - read up about it if you like renewing your hate of poms/public service but the TL DR is they gave Gurkhas exception from up-or-out policy so they could keep them at Private pay for decades. Then up--or-outed them months before being eligible for retirement. Hence not eligible for a pension or permanent residency in the UK - after decades or cheap service, back to Nepal for you! Classic British Public Service move.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Electric Wrigglies posted:

It is a prestigious job and if you got into the UK one, it held promise* of retirement in the relative comfort of the UK. That (and reasonable salary compared to other options) was a much larger draw. But sure, some that had not served in Iraq for the British army or whatever had a bit more bravado. I did buy a service Kukri off one though. Really awesome.

*that the UK tried to renege on in a really lovely way - read up about it if you like renewing your hate of poms/public service but the TL DR is they gave Gurkhas exception from up-or-out policy so they could keep them at Private pay for decades. Then up--or-outed them months before being eligible for retirement. Hence not eligible for a pension or permanent residency in the UK - after decades or cheap service, back to Nepal for you! Classic British Public Service move.

Not fond of the Brits but that was a lovely way to treat them for sure, ended up that if they had served for four years before 1997 they would be allowed to settle in the UK... after that, all bets are off.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

fatherboxx posted:

drones don't care where the invaders came from

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Morrow posted:

My only concern with the changing of the Ukrainian leadership is wider mobilization probably needs to be on the table.

Gundam writers eat your heart out.

Do you think love can bloom on the battlefield?

The answer is no.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Looks like the Senate passed the aid package for Ukraine and Israel.

https://apple.news/AcCmBZa8gSaaTj3XPuJ2tnA

quote:

Senate passes $95 billion Ukraine, Israel aid package amid GOP divide

The measure, opposed by Trump and his Senate allies, faces uncertain prospects in the House as Ukraine struggles to repel Russia’s invasion.

The Senate passed a $95 billion national security package to aid Israel, Ukraine and other U.S. allies early Tuesday after a months-long debate that has deeply divided congressional Republicans.

The bill passed 70 to 29, after 22 Republicans joined Democrats in approving the aid.

But House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) preemptively rejected the legislation on Monday night, saying in a statement that the package’s failure to address U.S. border security makes it a nonstarter in the House.

“In the absence of having received any single border policy change from the Senate, the House will have to continue to work its own will on these important matters,” Johnson said in a statement. “America deserves better than the Senate’s status quo.”

Johnson and other House leaders helped torpedo an earlier version of the legislation that includes sweeping border security measures and other reforms.

The aid package has been long awaited by the White House, which requested the funds in October, shortly after Israel came under attack by Hamas. Republicans, including Johnson, demanded that a border security piece be attached to it in exchange for their votes. But they abandoned the proposal amid opposition from former president Donald Trump, who has made the border crisis a core campaign issue and has complained that the border reforms would help President Biden and Democrats.

“These past few months have been a great test for the U.S. Senate to see if we could escape the centrifugal pull of partisanship and summon the will to defend Western democracy when it mattered most,” Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said after the bill passed in the Senate. “Today, the Senate has resoundingly passed the test.”

Schumer told The Washington Post that the “onus” is now on Johnson to put the bill on the floor where he predicted it would get a “robust” bipartisan vote.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said in a statement after the vote: “History settles every account. And today, on the value of American leadership and strength, history will record that the Senate did not blink.”

Biden also urged the House to pass the bill. “If we do not stand against tyrants who seek to conquer or carve up their neighbors’ territory, the consequences for America’s national security will be significant,” the president said in a statement.

Ukraine funding has become unpopular among GOP base voters, and Trump said at a recent rally that he would encourage Russia to do “whatever the hell they want” to NATO nations that he views are not spending enough money on defense. (NATO nations aim to spend at least 2 percent of their gross domestic product on defense, a standard that 11 allies met in 2023.) Trump also explicitly opposed the foreign aid package, saying in a recent social media post that he believes aid should be given as a loan.

There are efforts underway to go around Johnson and pass the bill through a Democratic-led discharge petition. Democrats need to gather at least four signatures from Republicans supportive of Ukraine funding to be able to introduce the petition, which probably wouldn’t happen until the end of the month given the congressional calendar.

Its path would still be tricky in the House, given that some Democrats have objected to the Israeli government’s handling of the war in Gaza, where most homes have been destroyed or damaged, more than 12,300 children have been killed and a quarter of the population is starving, according to the United Nations. Enough Republicans would need to support the bill to make up for those Democrats who would not vote for the bill over the aid to Israel.

Bringing the legislation to the floor through a discharge petition — which requires 218 members to support it — would avoid Johnson having his fingerprints on the proposal amid calls by Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) and others to remove him as speaker if he puts a Ukraine funding bill on the House floor for a vote.

In addition to the $60 billion for Ukraine and $14 billion for Israel, the national security legislation also includes more than $9 billion in humanitarian assistance to Gaza, Ukraine and other nations; spends nearly $5 billion on Indo-Pacific allies, including Taiwan; and prohibits U.S. funding from the law from going to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency that operates in Gaza and the West Bank, following allegations that some of its employees were involved in the Oct. 7 Hamas attack on Israel.

Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Peter Welch (D-Vt.) and Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) were the only members of the Democratic caucus to vote against the legislation, citing the staggering civilian death toll and humanitarian crisis unfolding in Gaza.

The Pentagon has said Ukraine urgently needs this aid and risks running out of ammunition as it continues to fend off a Russian invasion that began in 2022.

“For us in Ukraine, continued US assistance helps to save human lives from Russian terror,” Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said in a social media post thanking the Senate for passing the aid. “It means that life will continue in our cities and will triumph over war.”

Trump’s presence has loomed over the aid package in Congress, as some Republicans echoed his rhetoric opposing sending Ukraine aid and then later tanked the border deal they demanded, after Trump said he didn’t like it.

GOP senators have been fighting with each other for weeks over the package, with some critics arguing that McConnell led them into a political box in which Democrats have claimed the edge on border security after the GOP defected from the border deal that the generally pro-Republican Border Patrol union endorsed.

“Why did Republicans stab their voters in their back?” Sen. J.D. Vance (R-Ohio) asked on the Senate floor on Monday, referring to the decision to vote for the package without securing the southern border. (Vance, along with almost every Republican, voted against the border security component last week.)

A vocal faction of McConnell critics has grown louder over the past several days, with a handful even calling for his ouster, as Senate Republicans gathered in meeting after meeting arguing about the uncomfortable political situation in which they find themselves. “Clearly there is more objection to foreign involvement in the Senate now than there used to be,” McConnell told The Post in an interview last week. But he said he was “willing to take the heat” to force the politically divisive issue.

Democrats have raised alarms about the lack of unity on the Republican side to aid U.S. allies, as well as about Trump’s rhetoric.

Sen. Mark R. Warner (D-Va.), chairman of the Intelligence Committee, called Trump’s comments “frankly frightening” and said they would encourage Russian President Vladimir Putin as he wages war on Ukraine. Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) said Trump was “signaling” to Putin that he would “hand” him Ukraine if he becomes president.

But on the final vote, several Republicans who had been opposing the bill joined their 17 colleagues who had been voting for the measure earlier.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
People are saying that the 90 billion dollar bill is dead on arrival in the house but I guess we will see... I can't imagine that the US lets Ukraine collapse, they'll find one way or another to keep them afloat.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 13, 2024

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I thought bills start in the house and go through the senate? Or can it be any direction?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Starsfan posted:

People are saying that the 90 billion dollar bill is dead on arrival in the house but I guess we will see... I can't imagine that the US lets their proxy collapse, they'll find one way or another to keep them afloat.

To be clear as this sort of language shouldn't be let slide regardless of intent; Ukraine isn't a US proxy, its a sovereign democratic state being invaded unprovoked by an revanchist imperialist power.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

buglord posted:

I thought bills start in the house and go through the senate? Or can it be any direction?
Spending bills need to start in the House, but if the Senate wants a spending bill they take a dead House bill and "amend" it by saying "delete all the text of the bill and replace it with this."

Bills that don't explicitly authorize spending can be originated in either house.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

To be clear as this sort of language shouldn't be let slide regardless of intent; Ukraine isn't a US proxy, its a sovereign democratic state being invaded unprovoked by an revanchist imperialist power.

I changed it to less provocative language, was an oversight on my part to let my personal feelings shade the comment.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I'm actually curious as to what caused those Republicans to vote in favor AFTER the border stuff was taken off.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Starsfan posted:

People are saying that the 90 billion dollar bill is dead on arrival in the house but I guess we will see... I can't imagine that the US lets Ukraine collapse, they'll find one way or another to keep them afloat.

At this point I wouldn't put it past the US to let the US collapse.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Umbreon posted:

I'm actually curious as to what caused those Republicans to vote in favor AFTER the border stuff was taken off.

The scuttlebut that I've heard on political talk shows / commentary is that Mitch McConnell and his faction threw their weight behind supporting the bill after Donald Trump took a position against further aid for Ukraine, apparently the theory is if McConnell can force the package through it will be politically embarrassing for Trump? or at the very least it will be a thumb in his eye.. I don't know if it completely makes sense to me but it is apparent that the Republicans in the Senate reversed course on this matter sometime last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Umbreon posted:

A lot of the gop senators are still hawks of various stripes unlike the weird quasi chicken hawk isolationists of the newer gop. I wouldn’t be shocked if some felt “forced” to do the hostage song and dance in hopes of passing something plus getting extra stuff. Plus now they can blame the house chuds who they hate.