Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

obi_ant posted:

This replacement looks to be a little bit better. The metal brackets inside of the glass were always a pain in the rear end to reassemble if needed. Also, not having the metal brackets looks a lot cleaner. I couldn’t tell from the pictures, but it looks like the insides might be adjustable and gets rid of the need for custom shelving for a Detolf. I would probably upgrade to the newer one, if I didn’t have three detolfs already.
:hmmyes:

The new ones have built in lighting, which is nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I have three detolfs too and the newer design seems like it fixes all the issues I had with the older one. Easier to dust proof, easier to light, adjustable shelves, potential to add more shelves, etc.

I bet it's also easier to assemble too at the expense of some black bars on the corners.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I've got one, the main problem is that there's no way to get additional shelves.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I've got one, the main problem is that there's no way to get additional shelves.

Edit: if you go into the 3-D view, which I just did, it kinda looks like there are slots in the middle to add an extra shelves. I think those are used to adjust the shelves that they give you. But I don’t know about the availability of extra ones.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 12, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

The detolf or the new one?

I added shelves to mine by cutting four 1x1" wood pieces to the corners of each shelf and then had panes of glass cut at the hardware store in the right size.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

that’s a great doofwagon

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

TK-42-1 posted:

that’s a great doofwagon

Thanks, that one was fun to make. Here's my build build log Better picture of the completed thing at the bottom

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
They make 3d printed things you can screw onto to the metal frame of the Detolf if you wanted to add acrylic shelves which some Etsy stores will also cut to size for you.

I'm assuming you could just 3d print some inserts for the new Ikea and also cut acrylic sheets to size.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I really can’t believe how tall the Daily Bugle building is. Having it next to Sanctum Sanctorum is funny because the DB is like twice as tall but it only has one more floor. It has a very effective skyscraper effect though.

A little tired of assembling the rows of columns and windows…. Not looking forward to what looks like the Much Worse Windowed Avengers Tower.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Dogen posted:

I really can’t believe how tall the Daily Bugle building is. Having it next to Sanctum Sanctorum is funny because the DB is like twice as tall but it only has one more floor. It has a very effective skyscraper effect though.

A little tired of assembling the rows of columns and windows…. Not looking forward to what looks like the Much Worse Windowed Avengers Tower.

This made me look up the tallest sets around, and 3450 Statue of Liberty is just terrible. 21042 is half the height but looks so much better.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Edit: if you go into the 3-D view, which I just did, it kinda looks like there are slots in the middle to add an extra shelves. I think those are used to adjust the shelves that they give you. But I don’t know about the availability of extra ones.

There are, and you can, but I am telling you that IKEA do not make replacements, you have to get them custom made.

deoju posted:

The detolf or the new one?

I added shelves to mine by cutting four 1x1" wood pieces to the corners of each shelf and then had panes of glass cut at the hardware store in the right size.

The new one. I paid a nice goon to 3D print me some replacement corner brackets, but the perspex shelves I ordered ended up the wrong size and too flexible, and I haven't got around to getting actual glass ones made.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

There are, and you can, but I am telling you that IKEA do not make replacements, you have to get them custom made.

I wonder if it’s possible to get new ones under the replacement service, certainly worth a try. I’ve always been wondering how you’d add extra shelves to, like, Milsbo as well.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Zwille posted:

I wonder if it’s possible to get new ones under the replacement service, certainly worth a try.

Last time I tried the answer was no, at best you can get the screws that fix the brackets to the frame.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
I don't typically venture into this subforum and had no idea there was a Lego megathread! I've been skimming through this beast for a week now and I love all of the pictures of everyone's collections and how people organize pieces, I'm taking notes. I figured I would share some of my own collection, and my pipe dream plan to build a city table that represents "Pop Culture New York" full of as many references to movies/TV set in NYC as possible.

Ultimately, my goal is to build a table to fit all the modulars in a full city block. Underneath the lip of the table I'd like to have an underhang that holds the train to represent the subway that goes around the entire table. I still need to remove the bed from the room so I can fit the eventual table in here, as it used to be a spare bedroom until I took it over and made it into my nerd cave/home office. I'm still playing with the layout but it would essentially look like this:

The "Ray's Occult Bookstore" is just the regular Bookshop set, but I had a local printer make me some replacement stickers and it's now Ray's bookstore from Ghostbusters 2. :3: I also really wish they sold the NYC taxi from the Daily Bugle as it's own set, because it's the perfect style and minifig size. I may end up finding the directions/piece list and order enough to make maybe 10 of them just to have some traditional NYC traffic. I've got a bunch of the Speed Champion cars and some general city vehicles to sprinkle in there as well.

I thought I was losing my mind when I built the Batcave Shadowbox. Two back-to-back steps in Book 4 (step 964/965) have an extra stud piece listed for the step that aren't used in the build, and I'd never seen an error in a Lego instruction book like that before. I kept staring at the sheet like it was a Magic Eye.

T3hRen3gade fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 13, 2024

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Ohhh that base add on for the Statue of Liberty is slick!

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
Thanks! I got the statue base and some of the buildings from Mould Kings, which I discovered a few years ago in a desperate search for the Ghostbusters Firehouse that didn't cost upwards of $1K. Some of the sets are packaged better than others, but I don't have any real complaints about anything I've bought from them. That's their version of the Avengers Tower too, which I think is better than the official set Lego released if only for the mock Grand Central Station on the base. Same deal with the Sanctum, their version is slightly larger and has more detail. I also have a half-cooked idea of taking the online instruction manual for the Barcelona Stadium:

...and modifying it through LeoCAD to turn it into Madison Square Garden by making it more circular with a roof.

T3hRen3gade fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 13, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Your NYC is rad.

I designed my own Ray's Occult in Stud.io a few years ago. I ran out of momentum when I needed to add another floor and haven't built it for real. Here's a link if you are interested.
https://imgur.com/a/Q08Yhjw

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

deoju posted:

Your NYC is rad.

I designed my own Ray's Occult in Stud.io a few years ago. I ran out of momentum when I needed to add another floor and haven't built it for real. Here's a link if you are interested.

Ooooh I like that.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

deoju posted:

Your NYC is rad.

As a fellow Ghostbusters superfan I love how you incorporated the stacked books and falling shelf from the library scenes. Also I'm sorry you were denied potty humor as a child, I feel like my mom would have said the same thing. But that toilet is incredibly clever!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Firehouse is $1k now? WTF.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

Ooooh I like that.

Thanks. :)

T3hRen3gade posted:

As a fellow Ghostbusters superfan
I
have
such
sights
to
show
you.

Waltzing Along posted:

The Firehouse is $1k now? WTF.

Bricklink has new ones listed for about $500.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That sounds about right. Not many LEGO sets pop over $1k.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
When I went looking for an aftermarket licensed set about three years ago I saw one listed around $1K on eBay, but in hindsight it probably didn't sell that high but I still see some listed for upwards of $800. I got mine (not a licensed set) for less than the original MSRP so ultimately I'm a happy camper.

:swoon:

Your uniform and proton pack are incredible holy poo poo! The only suit I ever owned was one my grandmother gave me for my 4th birthday back in the 80's, definitely adorable at the time but not nearly as screen-accurate. About ten years ago I was able to make my own pilgrimage to ghost Mecca though. :v:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
3 days until the classic space GWP right?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

T3hRen3gade posted:

When I went looking for an aftermarket licensed set about three years ago I saw one listed around $1K on eBay, but in hindsight it probably didn't sell that high but I still see some listed for upwards of $800. I got mine (not a licensed set) for less than the original MSRP so ultimately I'm a happy camper.

:swoon:

Your uniform and proton pack are incredible holy poo poo! The only suit I ever owned was one my grandmother gave me for my 4th birthday back in the 80's, definitely adorable at the time but not nearly as screen-accurate. About ten years ago I was able to make my own pilgrimage to ghost Mecca though. :v:

Lol, I clicked the link thinking this was going to be a moc of actual Mecca but all the worshipers were ghosts and there was like ghosts coming out of the main thing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

More like the Kaa-BOO!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsO9Jhtn3ps

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't particularly care about the set but those old design boxes instantly make me feel like a kid again.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I want the Tantive IV, Falcon, and the orrery (such as it is, even though it isn't pre-orderable at the moment) and I think that's enough to hit $200.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
spent the last few days washing and sorting Lego. time consuming but I was able to build much faster once I got a good sense for where everything was. I'm still at the ziplock bag stage but a trip to ikea is probably in the cards for this weekend

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I want the Tantive IV, Falcon, and the orrery (such as it is, even though it isn't pre-orderable at the moment) and I think that's enough to hit $200.

I think that's going to come in a bit short. The orrery is not pre-orderable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

spent the last few days washing and sorting Lego. time consuming but I was able to build much faster once I got a good sense for where everything was. I'm still at the ziplock bag stage but a trip to ikea is probably in the cards for this weekend

I wouldn't give up on ziploc bags, they still have a place in any organization system. Parts cups are good for pieces you don't have a ton of but without fail you'll get some piece types that no bin is big enough to contain.. like a giant bucket of 2x4 bricks or large plates, etc. For me that all still lives in a bag, and many of them are gallon ziplocs.

If you really hate ziplocs (which I'm kind of leaning towards, they seal up the plastic smells and you get a big waft of VOC nastiness every time you open the bag) you can get muslin sacks off amazon insanely cheap. Not transparent but they do have drawstrings and are pretty convenient.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I wouldn't give up on ziploc bags, they still have a place in any organization system. Parts cups are good for pieces you don't have a ton of but without fail you'll get some piece types that no bin is big enough to contain.. like a giant bucket of 2x4 bricks or large plates, etc. For me that all still lives in a bag, and many of them are gallon ziplocs.

If you really hate ziplocs (which I'm kind of leaning towards, they seal up the plastic smells and you get a big waft of VOC nastiness every time you open the bag) you can get muslin sacks off amazon insanely cheap. Not transparent but they do have drawstrings and are pretty convenient.

oh I think ziplocks will be a part of the overall system but as you say they don't cover everything. I think cups and drawer dividers are the next step. I'm trying not to go overboard and over-engineer this step. at worst I can dump the bags into new containers over time

at the moment I'm using the folding cardboard shipping box the eldorado fortress came in. so everything packs down to a nice little container and put into the under the couch storage. I want to say I have a spare toolbox somewhere with a tiered small parts shelf that would be good for a fast grab box for like clips and connectors

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The GWP thresholds are insane now. :cripes:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I would buy this if I could.

Oh well :smith:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I would buy this if I could.

Oh well :smith:

It'll only be $50 or more on Ebay.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

As I understand it, the ID codes on a given bag of parts may be re-used, or perhaps that assortment of parts in a given bag may be re-used across sets, but is there any way to identify which few sets a given bag’s ID may be from?

A friend is trying to identify some stuff, and among the grab were a couple unopened bags:

140R6

739R6

I was hoping to narrow down these seemingly otherwise uninteresting bags by those codes but I’m not finding that info anywhere, not sure if I’m just missing it or what.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The_Doctor posted:

The GWP thresholds are insane now. :cripes:

thankfully so is the price of the ornithopter! :v:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The id's on bags are meaningless, sorry. It's stuff to do with tracking in the factories and poo poo, nothing useful outside of that context.

Hell, if a customer gets in contact and asks what a set a bag is from, we usually ask the handful of experts who can seemingly identify anything what it's from, rather than any databases or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://youtu.be/hoYJ4MhjYko?si=IN9ydDXnIYoRnbSZ

TLDW summary: do not buy any rip-off sets that have heavy Technic usage