Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

bltzn posted:

Thanks!

I know it's not a proper solution but maybe I could also put some epoxy sealant in the gap for now?

Dribble in PVC cement...but it likely won't hold because of the presence of water in the joint. Wrapping it in electrical tape will slow it down; still keep a bucket under it under it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Lexel, it’s designed for wet application. Dab it all dry with a paper towel then put a good bead if you’re gonna go the temp fix route. It’s expensive but I’ve found it very handy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hope this is the right thread. After a trip to Japan, my wife has fallen in love with the crazy toilets they have over there and is demanding we get one. I'd like to get one with all the bells and whistles - heated seat, heated bidet, self cleaning, etc. - but I don't want to drop twice what I need to on something in the "more money than sense" category. Does anyone have recommendations for good brands/product lines that will hold up and make my wife's butt happy without being priced as if it's made of solid gold?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

KillHour posted:

Hope this is the right thread. After a trip to Japan, my wife has fallen in love with the crazy toilets they have over there and is demanding we get one. I'd like to get one with all the bells and whistles - heated seat, heated bidet, self cleaning, etc. - but I don't want to drop twice what I need to on something in the "more money than sense" category. Does anyone have recommendations for good brands/product lines that will hold up and make my wife's butt happy without being priced as if it's made of solid gold?

I have Toto toilets and the seats. They have a few different price points for the bidet seats. Toto's bidet seats should fit on other manufacturer's toilets. Bio Bidet is also seemingly well regarded? I've never used one or had one though.

Oh, you do need to clean the bidet seats regularly. Just something to remember.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 5, 2024

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

c355n4 posted:

I have Toto toilets and the seats. They have a few different price points for the bidet seats. Toto's bidet seats should fit on other manufacturer's toilets. Bio Bidet is also seemingly well regarded? I've never used one or had one though.

This might fit into the "more money than sense" category, but I don't want an after-market seat. I want a full toilet with everything built-in. I'm okay with installing it.

I was looking at Toto because they do a lot of commercial stuff, and they seemed popular in Japan. The Kohler stuff looks like they hired the guys that make pre-built gaming PCs with all the RGB unicorn vomit.

Edit: That said, this one seems fairly reasonable - https://www.kohler.com/en/products/toilets/shop-toilets/innate-one-piece-elongated-smart-toilet-dual-flush-29777-pa?skuId=29777-PA-0

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 5, 2024

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

KillHour posted:

This might fit into the "more money than sense" category, but I don't want an after-market seat. I want a full toilet with everything built-in. I'm okay with installing it.

I was looking at Toto because they do a lot of commercial stuff, and they seemed popular in Japan. The Kohler stuff looks like they hired the guys that make pre-built gaming PCs with all the RGB unicorn vomit.

Edit: That said, this one seems fairly reasonable - https://www.kohler.com/en/products/toilets/shop-toilets/innate-one-piece-elongated-smart-toilet-dual-flush-29777-pa?skuId=29777-PA-0

Oh, you want one of those super fancy ones! Small anecdote story, friend got one of those fancy Toto toilets with the automatic raising seat. Only problem is that their toilet faces the bedroom, and it constantly goes up and down when they walk past the bathroom. It also pre-sprays the toilet bowl.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

c355n4 posted:

Oh, you want one of those super fancy ones! Small anecdote story, friend got one of those fancy Toto toilets with the automatic raising seat. Only problem is that their toilet faces the bedroom, and it constantly goes up and down when they walk past the bathroom. It also pre-sprays the toilet bowl.

That's funny. Luckily, our bathroom faces a hallway and we usually keep the door closed so I don't think that will be a problem.

Looking at the Kohler line, I literally can't find a difference between the one I linked and their more expensive ones in terms of functionality - just increasingly absurd styling and lighting gimmicks. Not sure what the equivalent Toto one is. This one maybe?

https://www.totousa.com/neorest-rs-dual-flush-toilet-10-08-gpf

Seems a lot more expensive, though.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

KillHour posted:

I don't want an after-market seat. I want a full toilet with everything built-in.

My only thought on this is that I had a Toto aftermarket seat and after I think five years it stopped working and needed to be replaced. With just the seat, we didn't have to replace the whole toilet, which was nice.

If the super fancy built-in ones are less likely to fail, or are more user-serviceable, then I no longer have valuable advice.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I have one of the complete Toto setups and we'll never go back. $2K or whatever well spent. When we buy a new house a Toto toilet with bidet is going to be one of the first things we buy/install.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I did some more research today and here's what I found. Hopefully none of this is wrong, but it's hard to find good info on this stuff.

The Toto entry level is the Washlet+, while the Kohler entry level is the Innate. Both of these save money by basically being regular toilets that come with a bidet seat from the factory, so all of the actual smart stuff is in the seat.

To step up to a full "ground up" smart toilet, you have the Neorest AH/RH on the Toto side (same features but looks different) and the Karing/Veil on the Kohler side.

The Neorest is getting into eye-watering price territory, and the Karing looks absolutely loving ridiculous and I really don't want to poo poo in an egg.

The Veil is also barking up on 5 grand, but I saw it listed on Amazon for ~3500 earlier today. It's gone now, but it seems like you can get deals like that regularly if you hunt. So tentatively, that's my plan - keep checking for deals on a Kohler Veil and hope I can get one for < 4k from a semi-reputable vendor.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

These links seem helpful:

https://resources.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/brochures/ToiletComparisonChart.pdf
https://clearmoonbidets.com/blogs/news/comparing-toto-neorest-toilets-in-2024

It really doesn't seem like you lose much going with the Innate, but you save a poo poo-ton of money (pun intended). Part of me is like "don't buy the cheapest one, you dummy. It will definitely have a lot of cut corners." but part of me is like "It's half the price. Buy 2."

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Toilet Chat:

I have this exact toilet:
https://www.costco.com/ove-decors-irenne-elongated-smart-bidet-toilet-with-remote-control.product.100491730.html
And it's good! I got it on sale for $800 but no telling if that price is ever attainable again, I ordered it two years ago. It's been installed now for about 8 months.

The pros: The lid lifts automatically. The spray settings are good, effective. Warm fan can be hot enough that it's uncomfortable.
Cons: There's not an auto setting for the night lights so it doesn't get used often. The tank is entirely cosmetic. it operates on a flush valve. Not really an issue by any means but if I knew that I would have opted for one without a fake tank and just had one of the egg shapes.

It also came with it's own valve to install which is a good thing since that helps it operate (higher flow) but you should know that's part of the install.

For my next bathroom I think I'll opt for a Toto Drake II with a Washlet on it despite enjoying this one. I tried one out at a friends house and I particularly like having saved settings.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Toilet Chat:

For my next bathroom I think I'll opt for a Toto Drake II with a Washlet on it despite enjoying this one. I tried one out at a friends house and I particularly like having saved settings.

This is exactly what I have. A Toto Drake II with a Toto K300 seat. It's worked flawlessly for 6ish years.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

c355n4 posted:

This is exactly what I have. A Toto Drake II with a Toto K300 seat. It's worked flawlessly for 6ish years.

Hey toilet buddy. Drake II + K300 rules.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Is the original Drake really the only option that exists as far as a high-quality regular height toilet with elongated bowl?

Pretty much everything else seems to be universal or ADA compliant height, which my wife and I find to be too high and which our young kid has a hard time getting onto quickly.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Is the original Drake really the only option that exists as far as a high-quality regular height toilet with elongated bowl?

Pretty much everything else seems to be universal or ADA compliant height, which my wife and I find to be too high and which our young kid has a hard time getting onto quickly.

These are what we bought, took us 2 months to get them in:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOTO-Toto-Drake-2-Piece-Toilet-with-C5-1-28-GPF-Cefiontect-Washlet/5005518231
https://pdf.lowes.com/productdocuments/9223fba1-df3b-4974-8a08-cd5be4f501f0/44559716.pdf

https://www.lowes.com/pd/American-Standard-Cadet-3-White-WaterSense-Elongated-Standard-Height-2-piece-Toilet-12-in-Rough-In-Size/50057657
https://pdf.lowes.com/productdocuments/9388450a-90e6-439f-ade2-456fff5add8e/47617220.pdf

They're not perfect, but they're not "tall" either.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

Better get used to it. They're only going to become more common.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BidetKing had a 10% off thing, so I was able to get the Kohler Veil for just over $4k and I pulled the trigger. I was considering the TOTO NEOREST AS, but it was $1k more and I just couldn't do it. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
The 100-flush "reserve" or whatever for power outages would make me so flush-anxious in the event of an extended power outage. That is one fancy rear end toilet.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

The 100-flush "reserve" or whatever for power outages would make me so flush-anxious in the event of an extended power outage. That is one fancy rear end toilet.

I have another bathroom and I don't think I've ever had a power outage for more than like 12 hours. If I need to flush the toilet more than 100 times during an outage, the apocalypses happened.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KillHour posted:

I have another bathroom and I don't think I've ever had a power outage for more than like 12 hours. If I need to flush the toilet more than 100 times during an outage, the apocalypses happened.

Right now I'm in a one (functional) bathroom home with 2 adults and 2 young kids. It's like range anxiety in an EV. We rarely have had a power outage long enough for it to matter, but we've had one a year now two years in a row so :ohdear:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Right now I'm in a one (functional) bathroom home with 2 adults and 2 young kids. It's like range anxiety in an EV. We rarely have had a power outage long enough for it to matter, but we've had one a year now two years in a row so :ohdear:

I'll think deeply about your plight as I decide on the perfect combination of heat and massage settings for my rear end in a top hat.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KillHour posted:

I'll think deeply about your plight as I decide on the perfect combination of heat and massage settings for my rear end in a top hat.

I will be having a much inferior version of this at my new place and we can day dream together. :allears:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
My toilet works during power outages because I don't flush all the electricity at once

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Make sure the leveling feet are all the way retracted on the refrigerator.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Mine came with a 9v battery backup, so I guess I could just take the ones out of the smoke detectors if that died.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Mine came with a 9v battery backup, so I guess I could just take the ones out of the smoke detectors if that died.

Needing to decide between flushing your fancy toilet and dying in a fire is the future we deserve.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Hearing the words" hundred flush reserve" made me think you were putting a special cistern up in the attic just for backup toilet flushes in the event of a water outage.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Only flush after you take a poo poo.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Sanity check: anything wrong with a natural gas water heater with a powered damper (not a power vent), and more specifically this one? Richmond appears to just be another label of Rheem, and in fact I can see a Rheem model on Home Depot's site with identical stats and an identical picture except the name badge is different. This is going to be replacing a 40 gallon short heater, so I'll need to quadruple confirm measurements to make sure everything will line up, but anything I should know before ordering this? Going to DIY the install with my father in law who has done a number of water heaters himself already (including soldering the copper) so I don't have any qualms about our ability to do it ourselves. And I know it will require electricity, which won't be a problem for us. I know it also won't work in a power outage unless I put it on a battery backup, but we don't lose power enough for that to matter anyways.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My toilet is out for delivery and it's literally all I can think about :argh:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That's very sad

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well soooorrrry if I'm excited to not have to wake up and sit on a cold toilet seat in the middle of the night.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Plumb it first

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

KillHour posted:

My toilet is out for delivery and it's literally all I can think about :argh:

No test-rides in the driveway, c'mon now

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
X-Posted from Fix it Fast:

Any suggestions on how to fix a "loose" drain stopper on a newly installed sink/faucet? Delta faucet, model not known but I can look at the box when I get home.

Here's what I mean when I say "loose":
https://i.imgur.com/SawVU4p.mp4

Before you come in and say "you don't have the horizontal pivot rod going through the hole at the bottom of the stopper", I assure you, I do. It might not be apparent in the video, but I was pulling up on it, and the rod IS through the hole. It's just that, near as I can tell, the relative size of the hole on the stopper to the rod is too big, so there's a LOT of wiggle room (literally.)

I found maybe one other person who had this issue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/kqix6f/delta_sink_drain_stopper_jiggles_in_place_am_i/

They caved and just ordered the "pop up" version where you just push it in/out. I suspect I might have to do that eventually, but I'm wondering if I don't want to spend money, I can just fill the hold at the bottom of the stopper with some sort of moldable epoxy type of substance, then make a new, smaller, hole in that?

The only other thing I can think is that the pivot rod is also moving too much, which... yeah, I can believe that, because the holes on the vertical connecting trod that connects the pivot rod to the drain stopper are also too big, and there's a lot of play:

All I can think to fix this, aside from the same wacky idea w/ epoxy, is to try and get that spring clamp to be tighter/get a new one/attach it with a nut...somehow (it's not a threaded rod, so...?)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If you tighten down the black threaded piece that the rod passes through to the point where the rod won't move, that will let you figure out whether the issue is the rod moving or the size of the opening in the stopper.

I know I've accidentally rebuilt a sink drain and left out a piece that restricted the rod to only move up and down and that made the stopper really floppy. Was there anything like that that could've gotten put in backwards or omitted?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Shifty Pony posted:

If you tighten down the black threaded piece that the rod passes through to the point where the rod won't move, that will let you figure out whether the issue is the rod moving or the size of the opening in the stopper.

I know I've accidentally rebuilt a sink drain and left out a piece that restricted the rod to only move up and down and that made the stopper really floppy. Was there anything like that that could've gotten put in backwards or omitted?

Yeah, in the Fix it Fast thread I mentioned I did notice the other day the stopper for the rod wasn't screwed in tightly/correct and I fixed that, drain stopper still loose.

It's not impacting the function, it's just annoying.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, in the Fix it Fast thread I mentioned I did notice the other day the stopper for the rod wasn't screwed in tightly/correct and I fixed that, drain stopper still loose.

It's not impacting the function, it's just annoying.

Some of those rods are directional (they aren't fully round). Maybe you need to rotate it 90 degrees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

Plumb it first

Done. Holy poo poo that took forever.