Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Penzey’s is great. Can’t speak to the quality, but Costco has a wild deal for vanilla beans if you’re a member

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Oh yeah I have a membership. Does Costco only sell them in ridiculously large quantities?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

kreeningsons posted:

Oh yeah I have a membership. Does Costco only sell them in ridiculously large quantities?

You actually buy individual vanilla plantations, with options ranging from 10K-45K estimated pods per year. The value is incredible though.

It’s 2 jars of 5 pods for $28.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

What's the best kind of pan to do scrambled eggs in other than non-stick? I had to get rid of my non-stick pans when I got an induction stove, and I've been pretty satisfied with using all cast iron and stainless steel (since I already had them). Except for this one thing.

My cast irons are well seasoned enough that I can fry an egg on them no problem, but when I tried scrambled this morning it was a disaster. Should I use stainless steel? Or is there a trick to doing it on cast iron? (I used plenty of oil and waited til the pan was nice and hot)

Or maybe my cast iron pans seasoning, while pretty good, just failed the ultimate test?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

alnilam posted:

What's the best kind of pan to do scrambled eggs in other than non-stick? I had to get rid of my non-stick pans when I got an induction stove, and I've been pretty satisfied with using all cast iron and stainless steel (since I already had them). Except for this one thing.

My cast irons are well seasoned enough that I can fry an egg on them no problem, but when I tried scrambled this morning it was a disaster. Should I use stainless steel? Or is there a trick to doing it on cast iron? (I used plenty of oil and waited til the pan was nice and hot)

Or maybe my cast iron pans seasoning, while pretty good, just failed the ultimate test?

Oil is only for fried eggs. Butter is for scrambled. You want about 1/4 stick of butter per egg.

mystes
May 31, 2006

alnilam posted:

Why don't just just get the cheapest induction compatible non stick pan you can and use it exclusively for eggs?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

mystes posted:

Why don't just just get the cheapest induction compatible non stick pan you can and use it exclusively for eggs?

alnilam is putting oil in their scrambled eggs, the pan is not the problem.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Huh, interesting. I always thought fats only differed in flavor and smoke point, not in cooking functionality. Why does butter keep scrambled eggs from sticking when oil doesn't? Density? Different miscibility with eggs?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

alnilam posted:

Huh, interesting. I always thought fats only differed in flavor and smoke point, not in cooking functionality. Why does butter keep scrambled eggs from sticking when oil doesn't? Density? Different miscibility with eggs?

I think it's the diff in water content and how that water escapes? Also it tastes better. 1/4 stick per egg was a joke but the more butter the better? I could be completely wrong but I've just never heard of using oil for scrambled eggs. Butter and/or bacon fat I thought was 100% normal.

Oil is for frying eggs where you want the edges nice and crispy but the yolk runny.

Am I making eggs wrong?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Fwiw my partner can tell when I cook scrambled eggs in butter and prefers it when I use avocado oil. The cleanup is not nearly as quick that's for sure.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Wild card option is to set up a double boiler for your scrambled eggs instead of using a pan at all.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The east scrambles eggs with oil and it's fine.

Carbon steel similarly is good for scrambled eggs.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Anecdotally, I've found butter works best as well. Also if you put a little milk in the scrambled eggs, use full fat.

I'm no food scientist though, and only use non-stick pans for eggs if the others are in use.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

alnilam posted:

It has taken me a while but I have finally gotten the hang of scrambled eggs in a seasoned carbon steel pan on my induction stove. If I am mixing them with chorizo to start I I'll have a little bit stick but otherwise the pan is mostly non-stick once it is hot and has plenty of oil in it. So totally possible to do it without non-stick, it might just take a while to get there if you're like me and relied on non-stick pans for a majority of cooking tasks for most of your life.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

I've always wondered about tanked vs. tankless wrt pipe scale, thanks!

At my shop I have two tankless water heaters plumbed in parallel. Even though I do all of the required maintenance, occasionally it will spit out some hot water that is so full of scale that it comes out an awful yellow brown. Thankfully never more for a second or two, but ugh gross.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

alnilam posted:

Just for clarity sake, when you say nice and hot, do you have the heat set to high, or it's set to medium/med-low and you are waiting until the pan has been sitting there for a while and has come up to full temp? High heat is probably going to cause problems for sticking eggs.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Just for clarity sake, when you say nice and hot, do you have the heat set to high, or it's set to medium/med-low and you are waiting until the pan has been sitting there for a while and has come up to full temp? High heat is probably going to cause problems for sticking eggs.

Heat was more like med-high, but yeah I meant letting it come up to temp.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I scramble eggs in oil all the time without issues. Butter tastes better but I don't notice a sticking difference

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

It is 100% possible that I am 100% wrong. That's a Desert Bus promise and you can apply it to anything I post.

Gonna use oil for my next batch of scrambled eggs. I have a lot of fun finding out how wrong and dumb I can be.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

kreeningsons posted:

Doom Rooster posted:

You actually buy individual vanilla plantations, with options ranging from 10K-45K estimated pods per year. The value is incredible though.

It’s 2 jars of 5 pods for $28.
That’s not the real price, that’s sketchy Amazon resellers’ marked-up price. Costco’s price is 10 for $18. Even the higher price wouldn’t be awful, though!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I always scramble my eggs in oil, but I have also been unable to get away from nonstick. I do always add a pat of butter to my eggs for flavor, though.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

IME there is a bit of a difference in sticking, at least with fried eggs, and butter tends to do better for me. I usually put it in a pre-heated pan and let most of the water cook off so it stops bubbling, then I put in the eggs.

I think the difficulty with scrambled is you stir it around so it'll use up the fat. Like each time you stir it it takes a bit of the fat when the liquid egg hits the hot pan. Once you run out of fat in the mix it'll start sticking a lot.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I've been using a stainless steel pan. I'd guess your season is just a lil off to pass the egg test, probably the hardest one. If I want to be sure they won't stick I usually put a tiny amount of oil in the pan and let it heat on medium until it just smokes a little and I wipe that oil all over the pan. I then take it off the heat for a bit while I get my butter out (or oil, they with the sand imo) and add my eggs.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

alnilam posted:

When I bought my induction range it came with an Anolon induction-capable nonstick set that works just fine. I also have a Misen nonstick pan that's induction-capable. Particularly for eggs, I'd recommend just getting a pan that works with your range instead of trying to find that one simple trick to get around it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The Midniter posted:

Particularly for eggs, I'd recommend just getting a pan that works with your range instead of trying to find that one simple trick to get around it.

It's very much a thing in my personality that I like to get familiar with the hard old way of doing things, even if I'm fine with defaulting to the easy way in the long run. For example I learned to woodwork with hand tools and then gladly switched to electric for many of them, and I'm glad I've done both.

So it will bother me forever if I find that I can't make scrambled eggs without a teflon pan. Even if in the long run I will probably just get a non stick egg pan.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

alnilam posted:

It's very much a thing in my personality that I like to get familiar with the hard old way of doing things, even if I'm fine with defaulting to the easy way in the long run. For example I learned to woodwork with hand tools and then gladly switched to electric for many of them, and I'm glad I've done both.

So it will bother me forever if I find that I can't make scrambled eggs without a teflon pan. Even if in the long run I will probably just get a non stick egg pan.

Have you considered that “the hard old way” of making scrambled eggs was that a thin layer stuck, and people just scrubbed it off when they washed the pan and that was totally normal?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
VanillaProductsUSA is where I get all my vanilla beans from, they have ridiculously good prices and have their own store and also sell on Amazon and eBay

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

Have you considered that “the hard old way” of making scrambled eggs was that a thin layer stuck, and people just scrubbed it off when they washed the pan and that was totally normal?

Yes, but also scrambled eggs have been a standard and cheap diner fare since before the days of non stick cookware, so it seems unlikely to me that it was a massive pain in the rear end every time

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

Yes, but also scrambled eggs have been a standard and cheap diner fare since before the days of non stick cookware, so it seems unlikely to me that it was a massive pain in the rear end every time

I'd guess diners probably prepared eggs in giant batches, and/or didn't bother cleaning the pan between batches. They're also willing to fling around absolutely colossal amounts of oil.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Honestly i love learning about that kind of cooking history and commercial kitchen knowledge, and that's part of why i ask in the cooking nerd forum and not just look for bullshit on google

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Diners use flat tops, which are both more smooth and better seasoned than whatever you have at home. To have a similar level of success, you'd need to go nonstick, or learn to season smooth carbon steel well.

This recently came out - next time I replace my 8" egg pan it'll probably be a Granitestone

https://youtu.be/N-eBmPSqd4g?si=RXhBxMl1LMBfsMe_

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just don't understand why it seems like everyone always either wants to use nonstick for everything or wants to never use nonstick for anything when it seems like the obvious thing to do is to just have one cheap nonstick pan for stuff like eggs

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

Diners use flat tops, which are both more smooth and better seasoned than whatever you have at home. To have a similar level of success, you'd need to go nonstick, or learn to season smooth carbon steel well.

This recently came out - next time I replace my 8" egg pan it'll probably be a Granitestone

https://youtu.be/N-eBmPSqd4g?si=RXhBxMl1LMBfsMe_

A lot of goons have complained that ceramic nonstick pans lost their nonstick property quickly, so you might want to go with the tramontina

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

I just don't understand why it seems like everyone always either wants to use nonstick for everything or wants to never use nonstick for anything when it seems like the obvious thing to do is to just have one cheap nonstick pan for stuff like eggs

my old coworker had tropical birds and killed two of them by fuckin up nonstick pans and now he's carbon steel for everything all the time forever

mystes
May 31, 2006

ok don't get nonstick if you have birds then

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

alnilam posted:

I used to be a dishwasher and let me tell you: lol, lmfao

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have an All-Clad non-stick egg pan and while it was a ridiculous purchase it has gotten used probably 2x a week for half a decade and it has been bulletproof. I only use it for eggs or other very sensitive lower-temp things like melting sugar. Highly recommend.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I used to be a dishwasher and let me tell you: lol, lmfao

Now we're talking!! Please dish (hehe)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

alnilam posted:

BrianBoitano posted:

Diners use flat tops, which are both more smooth and better seasoned than whatever you have at home. To have a similar level of success, you'd need to go nonstick, or learn to season smooth carbon steel.

While working a flat top, beyond using a shitload of butter, and the surface being perfectly flat and well-seasoned, I also had a very sharp flat scraper designed to apply all of the body weight I put onto it.

I could probably scrape fully cured epoxy off the top with that scraper. Eggs were one easy pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

mystes posted:

I don’t eat eggs but I’ve never had a problem with anything sticking on my stainless set. Tofu, pancakes, veggie burgers, whatever. It would be an unnecessary purchase for me. I know microplastics are in my food, water, and air and that they’ve been in my body since before I was born … but not having a nonstick pan is at least one thing I can control in that department.