Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Shageletic posted:

Pay. Him. More.

Read the article and it was delightful, as always. The only good columnist.
In a fairer world, he'd replace Charles as king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
if every op-ed writer wrote articles the way Adrian Chiles does, the world would be a better place

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

vyelkin posted:

if every op-ed writer wrote articles the way Adrian Chiles does, the world would be a better place

:hmmyes: "I drank tea out of a shoe" vs. "arabs are bugs"

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

vyelkin posted:

The articles would sound smarter and be less psychotic, so yeah. :hai:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

Reading through old newspapers, a lot of the small town newspapers all had a regular opinion column guy that would write Adrian Chiles articles. Really as all local media collapses, he's the apotheosis of all those guys writing 60 years ago about how much fun motion pictures at the car park are, or the one time he attempted to do water in his electric washing machine.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dreylad posted:

Reading through old newspapers, a lot of the small town newspapers all had a regular opinion column guy that would write Adrian Chiles articles. Really as all local media collapses, he's the apotheosis of all those guys writing 60 years ago about how much fun motion pictures at the car park are, or the one time he attempted to do water in his electric washing machine.

Yeah, I worked at a paper that had one of those dudes, just opining on if there are too many 4-way stops these days or what makes a great glass of sweet tea.

He got demoted to the copy desk like a decade ago.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

drat horror queefs posted:

Important news from the Guardian:

Chilies' annual salary is estimated to be around £160,000 per year, btw

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you move on, I wanted to ask if you would consider supporting the Guardian’s journalism as we enter one of the most consequential news cycles of our lifetimes in 2024.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i would much rather see more of Adrian style articles in the British media and fewer articles along the lines of "trans people are termites undermining civilization."

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Dreylad posted:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

lmao

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
love to read about Opinions

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well what are MAGA influencers missing about football?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
My Father, Ronald Reagan, Would Weep for America

3 Min Read

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Dad Wept, So What

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Well what are MAGA influencers missing about football?

They think footballers make for bad lovers, and this blinds them to the joy that can be had from dating and making love to a man like Travis Kelce.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

One of the peculiarities of our time is that all the staffers write into the WaPo how exactly they are going to lie to us, while they are doing it
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonCHI/status/1757137084454736178#m
I remember how they wrote about getting together with the "Twitter Doctors" to set out a strategy how to "take the win with covid" but can't find it anymore.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 22:16 on Feb 14, 2024

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

This is a great story. Because the latest economist poll has Trump still winning 90-10 among those who say that immigration is the most important issue this election. So the "flip" there does not refer to anything remotely related to actually winning elections.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

joepinetree posted:

This is a great story. Because the latest economist poll has Trump still winning 90-10 among those who say that immigration is the most important issue this election. So the "flip" there does not refer to anything remotely related to actually winning elections.
They flipped it, in that they did a fascism just like the fascists love. That won't win over the fascists, but that's not the point.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
what was the bluff, exactly, that they keep talking about? in order to call a bluff your opponent has to be bluffing

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
the republicans were bluffing that they were going to do the right thing so the dems called their bluff by doing bad things

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

021524_3
Feb 16, 2024
A new News Story: the most diffcult-est of shats

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1758176276357976154
https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/1758162963788181829
https://twitter.com/devtesla/status/1758172716551524590
https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1758172424758313039
https://twitter.com/Is_Not_Brian/status/1758289026614976589

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

every so often it’s good to refresh your awareness that the privileged elite who control the media, power, and huge amounts of personal wealth are major morons who wouldn’t last a day tending bar in Brooklyn

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
genuinely not sure how you can be stupid enough to think "yes, a government agency would definitely ask me to put $50k in a shoebox to give to someone on the street" and also be capable of tying your shoes, going to a restaurant or a grocery store by yourself, etc

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

DoubleDonut posted:

genuinely not sure how you can be stupid enough to think "yes, a government agency would definitely ask me to put $50k in a shoebox to give to someone on the street" and also be capable of tying your shoes, going to a restaurant or a grocery store by yourself, etc

someone's never worked in journalism

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

poisonpill posted:

every so often it’s good to refresh your awareness that the privileged elite who control the media, power, and huge amounts of personal wealth are major morons who wouldn’t last a day tending bar in Brooklyn

historically so too. king leopold's profits from congolese genocide went nearly entirely to the teenage prostitute that was scamming him

also monaco and dubai's economies are based off of scamming people like this

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
poverty, or even the memory of it, is an incredible shield against getting rolled like a chump.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

plus

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Loving that linked Jessica Roy thread going "Oh Yeah! Well are you smarter than Andy Cohen, Corey Doctorow or this random senior citizen government scientist cause all of them got scammed too!" as if it's an amazing point.

I can cut a little slack for a panicked person buying a gift card because they think they owe a ticket and are about to get picked up on a bench warrant because that's something that could maybe conceivably happen except for the gift card part, but lol. Handing a box of cash to a man you aren't allowed to look at through a car window so that the Treasury can send you a check tomorrow to give you walking around money while they fight the is genuine wallet inspector territory.

And she had multiple breaks! Time to Google and see if any of this is normal, searches which confirmed that nothing was happening. She said she checked her credit score, which I hope means her credit report, which confirmed that there wasn't anything. Actively carrying water for the scam crew.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

What It’s Like to Be a Therapist for the Ultrarich

How to Talk About Your Salary With Friends

I Just Inherited $40,000. What Should I Do With It?

My Boyfriend’s Dad Bought Us a House. What Do I Tell My Friends?

What If You Already Have ‘Enough’ Money?

My Friend Stays With Us All the Time. Can We Charge Rent?

I Think My Mom Is Getting Scammed

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

she appears to have never even considered the possibility that she's a sucker

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Loving that linked Jessica Roy thread going "Oh Yeah! Well are you smarter than Andy Cohen, Corey Doctorow or this random senior citizen government scientist cause all of them got scammed too!" as if it's an amazing point.

I can cut a little slack for a panicked person buying a gift card because they think they owe a ticket and are about to get picked up on a bench warrant because that's something that could maybe conceivably happen except for the gift card part, but lol. Handing a box of cash to a man you aren't allowed to look at through a car window so that the Treasury can send you a check tomorrow to give you walking around money while they fight the is genuine wallet inspector territory.

And she had multiple breaks! Time to Google and see if any of this is normal, searches which confirmed that nothing was happening. She said she checked her credit score, which I hope means her credit report, which confirmed that there wasn't anything. Actively carrying water for the scam crew.

The "despite this being really stupid, I know I'm a smart person so it just means that this works on smart people" is what gets me, as if "being smart" has no relation to your actions.

It's the same as when a public figure says or does something really racist and people line up to defend them because they know they're not a racist, despite any reasonable measure for whether someone is a racist being the number of racist things they say and do. Your qualities are not determined by your actions but some abstract idea of yourself based on ???

(the ??? is social class)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

over a decade ago I was maybe ten minutes away from leaving for what I thought was a job interview until I decided to do the most cursory of googling. To my recollection it wasn't even exactly about suspecting anything, it was just that I wanted confirmation on the street address and the office's location inside the building

turns out it was going to be an MLM recruitment talk!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
She heard the word CIA and her professional training made her go into autopilot mode.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

YaketySass posted:

She heard the word CIA and her professional training made her go into autopilot mode.

yeah the funniest part is not that she got tricked about the identity of the scammers its that she was willing to lie to her spouse and throw fifty gs in a shoebox into the back of an unmarked suv the instant the state blew a whistle at her

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Can we talk to each other about Israel-Hamas? Meet the UofT prof trying to bring civil discourse back to campus

quote:

As part of an undergraduate course in contemporary American fiction, University of Toronto Prof. Randy Boyagoda recently had his students watch Greta Gerwig’s "Barbie."

He then assigned them to read “'Barbie' is bad. There, I said it," a takedown of the top-grossing film by New York Times columnist Pamela Paul who argued that not liking the movie doesn’t make one a misogynist.

In the class discussion that followed, Boyagoda found many students persuaded by the opinion piece. Some were grateful for the points Paul made because, they said, they wouldn’t have been willing to express similar thoughts out of fear of seeming like they were not allies of women.

“We had a really good conversation. They are very shrewd and insightful students,” said Boyagoda. But then, suddenly, he had another thought: "Oh my goodness, if we can't say we don't like 'Barbie,' how are we going to talk about Hamas?"

academia rules.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

above all else i dont understand how she expected the public to react to her confession

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Doc Hawkins posted:

above all else i dont understand how she expected the public to react to her confession
donating money so she could be made whole/confirm that she was just one among tens of millions of americans who have been scammed like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

Even though the subject matter is different, it reminds me of the lady who killed her dog and wrote an article about it.