Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Sir Kodiak posted:

How does that poll support that idea? I think that idea is likely true, but I don't see how that poll is evidence for it.

The cries for Biden to get out of the race are absurd—the man has striven to be president for longer than many of us have been alive; he's either dead or running—but how can a poll that doesn't offer predictive value for the election show that there's no viable successor? Do you actually think Gretchen Whitmer would get 33% of the vote in a country this polarized?

it's pretty likely that any candidate that the dems can muster in a forced replacement or emergency will not be able to garner the same voter enthusiasm that biden is likely to carry into a general election

that's not an endorsement of biden as much as it is a recognition of what the dnc does not offer, but it helps paint a clearer picture of why a whole "biden stands down" scenario is really unlikely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Charliegrs posted:

You do know really dumb people can be the offspring of diamond mine owners, NY real estate barons, famous actors/musicians, CEOs of oil companies etc right? And statistically speaking those types of offspring have a huge advantage in life and usually end up wealthy themselves no matter how incredibly dumb they are. Where do you think the term "failson" came from? Being smart doesn't mean you'll be rich. And being dumb doesn't mean you'll be poor.

I thought he was being a bit tongue and cheek in a meritocracy sort of way. But maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see (for the record I think randomly flaming the good professor for... helping old folks(?) is too impotent and misdirected to worthy of much response, but selec otoh had some good points).

I do think looking at things as a fight is... accurate? Beneficial? And both political parties seem willing to invoke coming chaos one way or another (in the case of the dems it's more "if we don't win they will unleash chaos").

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 17, 2024

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Staluigi posted:

it's pretty likely that any candidate that the dems can muster in a forced replacement or emergency will not be able to garner the same voter enthusiasm that biden is likely to carry into a general election

that's not an endorsement of biden as much as it is a recognition of what the dnc does not offer, but it helps paint a clearer picture of why a whole "biden stands down" scenario is really unlikely

All the same it hurts the idea that the low enthusiasm on Biden's right flank can be easily fixed by replacing him with some younger, more vital Democrat.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

zoux posted:

He's going to wring every cent out of the RNC coffers once Lara is made co-chair.

It’s amazing to me that they’re all (the GOP) just going to watch too.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Staluigi posted:

How does that poll show that? The margin of error on it is 2.7%. Kamala Harris is within 1% of Biden in the poll. If the poll is meaningful evidence of what voter enthusiasm will be in November—which I'm skeptical of—that would seem to suggest that she'd garner the same enthusiasm as Biden within the degree of precision the poll provides.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting Biden standing down is likely. It's not. It's very unlikely because Biden gets to decide and he wants to keep being president, which is a larger factor than polling nine months out. Anyone arguing he should stand down is wasting their time.

But if Biden vs Trump polling is not predictive this far out—which seems true and we keep being reminded of every time a poll shows Biden losing—surely Gretchen Whitmer vs Trump is no more predictive of what that race would look like.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Killer robot posted:

All the same it hurts the idea that the low enthusiasm on Biden's right flank can be easily fixed by replacing him with some younger, more vital Democrat.

yeah i think for that they need replacements which don't powerfully stretch the applicability of the title "more vital"

once upon a time it feels obvious that they were setting up kamala to be that More Vital inheritor but everything between then and now showed that she was never gonna have that juice

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

If society breaks down to the point where people are hiding out in bunkers, cash no longer has value, law enforcement no longer exists, and the state no longer possesses the monopoly on violence, I think most people are going to be too busy with actually important problems to worry about finding and attacking billionaire bunkers.

The billionaires will no doubt have a pretty hard time when they discover that all of their wealth and power collapsed along with society, but we're probably going to be too busy scrounging for basic sustenance and hiding from the roving death squads to have a chance to feel smug about it.

You gotta get after it the moment they get in there. Presuming they have some system for advance warning, the model you want to operate in a big party. Like a big rave we’re holding in the wilderness that also has some fun work you can put in.

It’s going to take planning and coordination for sure, but if the collapse is upon us, I think a big collective party that is also about taking revenge for the collapse might work out.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Staluigi posted:

once upon a time it feels obvious that they were setting up kamala to be that More Vital inheritor but everything between then and now showed that she was never gonna have that juice

She had to drop out of the primary before any votes were cast because nobody liked her; she doesn't even have anti-juice because a juice/anti-juice reaction would generate energy

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Byzantine posted:

She had to drop out of the primary before any votes were cast because nobody liked her; she doesn't even have anti-juice because a juice/anti-juice reaction would generate energy

Lol yes

Its weird because she's not the "charisma void" template of the right, she goes about being thoroughly Ain't Got It in different ways

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
All that poll really says is people don't have as much recognition of the non-Biden non-Harris people. Note that Trump does not actually get much more votes against any of the candidates. Harris has essentially the same recognition as Biden + Trump and she's running 1 point behind Biden.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Byzantine posted:

I apologize if this is a risky post that leads to relitigating 2020, but it was my understanding that the Biden campaign was pretty set on selecting a woman for the VP spot and then whittled the list down to Harris. It could easily have been Warren or Klobuchar or Whitmer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/18/us/politics/amy-klobuchar-biden-vice-president.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/13/us/politics/biden-harris.html

If those horrible cops hadn't killed George Floyd, the choice might have been very different.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Again, the point of it is that there have been about 1000 think pieces about why Biden should drop out but there is no evidence that voters want a different candidate. If one of these folks were in the primaries against him would those numbers change? Probably! But there's nothing you can point to, no Bernie-like figure racking up small donations and packing venues with excited supporters as an obvious replacement that the Elites at the DNC Weather Control Center are blocking from becoming the nominee. People are just "eh, someone other than Biden" because fully like a third of the electorate hasn't internalized that it's going to be a 2020 rematch and is only half paying attention.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Staluigi posted:

Lol yes

Its weird because she's not the "charisma void" template of the right, she goes about being thoroughly Ain't Got It in different ways

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

zoux posted:

Again, the point of it is that there have been about 1000 think pieces about why Biden should drop out but there is no evidence that voters want a different candidate. If one of these folks were in the primaries against him would those numbers change? Probably! But there's nothing you can point to, no Bernie-like figure racking up small donations and packing venues with excited supporters as an obvious replacement that the Elites at the DNC Weather Control Center are blocking from becoming the nominee. People are just "eh, someone other than Biden" because fully like a third of the electorate hasn't internalized that it's going to be a 2020 rematch and is only half paying attention.

I think it's pretty clear that if anyone ran against Biden, they would be persona non grata as far as the DNC or Democrats are concerned. It's essentially enforcing self-censorship (a very timely topic)

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Even expressing concern about Biden in the gentlest possible way gets you blasted, hard to see how an organic grassroots support of a replacement is met with anything other than scorched earth tactics. Even the putative replacement candidate would likely disavow any such movement unless they were like a billion percent sure it was gonna work cause they could get implicated in anti Biden sentiment through inaction.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It feels weird to ask this but how much of this whole "no primary to the incumbent" sentiment is also couched in the disaster that was the 1980 election when you had people like Ted Kennedy try to primary Carter and that, among many other things, eventually leading to 12 years of GOP control of the executive branch?

Granted that was over 40 years ago and I don't know how that would factor in at all, other than a lot of higher-up Democrats back then are still around.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

koolkal posted:

I think it's pretty clear that if anyone ran against Biden, they would be persona non grata as far as the DNC or Democrats are concerned. It's essentially enforcing self-censorship (a very timely topic)

They aren't polling candidates. They are polling voters and voters don't show a preference for any candidate that would improve on Biden's polling. Is the polling accurate? Who knows, but that's the evidence we have to work with and it doesn't support the idea that the people are clamoring for a certain candidate. And if there isn't a different candidate, then there's no reason to replace the incumbent loving president on the ticket.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

She emerged fully formed, ready made for anti drug PSA's, programmed to promise that events shall be Looked Into, from behind a podium. The Galaborn was here, a decade too late for DARE

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Angry_Ed posted:

It feels weird to ask this but how much of this whole "no primary to the incumbent" sentiment is also couched in the disaster that was the 1980 election when you had people like Ted Kennedy try to primary Carter and that, among many other things, eventually leading to 12 years of GOP control of the executive branch?

Granted that was over 40 years ago and I don't know how that would factor in at all, other than a lot of higher-up Democrats back then are still around.

There was also Reagan trying to primary Ford in 76, and considering how close that election was it probably was a factor. Those two are the only time we had serious attempts, both ended in losses for the incumbent.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

If you wanted to mount a challenge to Joe Biden you would have to start last year and aside from the fact you're trying to primary the incumbent President, you have another problem, you'd have to push Harris out of the way too.

I've had my friends ask my why not Gavin Newsome or (Younger Democrat Here) go and run and you basically would cause a Democratic civil war and could cause the party to be even weaker with a Trump run on the horizon. The narrative would of been awful relitigating 2020 and Dems in Disarray, who has the heart of the party, why are the dumping Joe Biden, ect. And if you are the would be challenger, whose giving you the time of day or funding to do this? The safer play for 2028 hopefuls is to build now and if a lane forms in the next two years.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

They aren't polling candidates. They are polling voters and voters don't show a preference for any candidate that would improve on Biden's polling. Is the polling accurate? Who knows, but that's the evidence we have to work with and it doesn't support the idea that the people are clamoring for a certain candidate. And if there isn't a different candidate, then there's no reason to replace the incumbent loving president on the ticket.

Yeah, I can't tell you how many times I've had the following conversation with other people irl:

"Biden's too old, he needs to step aside and let someone else be the nominee."

"Okay, how about Kamala? She'd be the logical second choice."

"Ew, not her, I don't like her."

"Okay, how about Gavin Newsom then?"

"Ew, not him either."

"Okay, how about Dean Phillips? He's actually running in the primary."

"No, I don't like him either."

"Okay then, who would you like to see as the Dem nominee?"

":shrug:"

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

zoux posted:

Sure, I agree with all these conclusions. That poll is just lousy evidence for them. As someone else pointed out, it's basically functioning as a poll of name recognition and party id.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, I can't tell you how many times I've had the following conversation with other people irl:

"Biden's too old, he needs to step aside and let someone else be the nominee."

"Okay, how about Kamala? She'd be the logical second choice."

"Ew, not her, I don't like her."

"Okay, how about Gavin Newsom then?"

"Ew, not him either."

"Okay, how about Dean Phillips? He's actually running in the primary."

"No, I don't like him either."

"Okay then, who would you like to see as the Dem nominee?"

":shrug:"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

One of the few politicians actually older than Biden.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

It is easy to see why there is not a lot of spontaneous support for any one candidate when the background radiation of the last several years has been ‘any opposition to Biden is support for Trump’. If Biden was voluntarily stepping down for health issues the entire political climate would shift and the polling would reflect that.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

zoux posted:

And as I already pointed out, when you look at who specifically is unhappy with Biden, the overwhelmingly likely possibility if it did happen is Biden being primaried from the right. As someone who would not like to see the Democratic Party move right I find the lack of serious primary challenge a relief.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

There was also Reagan trying to primary Ford in 76, and considering how close that election was it probably was a factor. Those two are the only time we had serious attempts, both ended in losses for the incumbent.

Don't forget Eugene McCarthy's performance in New Hampshire in 1968 pushing LBJ into retirement. The Dems lost.

I guess the big pattern here is that if you have someone primarying the incumbent and it's an actual challenge, things aren't looking good for the party in power.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I like Duckworth for 2028.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Staluigi posted:

She emerged fully formed...

You think she just fell out of s coconut tree? She exists in the context of all in which she lives and what came before her.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Eric Cantonese posted:

I apologize if this is a risky post that leads to relitigating 2020, but it was my understanding that the Biden campaign was pretty set on selecting a woman for the VP spot and then whittled the list down to Harris. It could easily have been Warren or Klobuchar or Whitmer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/18/us/politics/amy-klobuchar-biden-vice-president.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/13/us/politics/biden-harris.html

If those horrible cops hadn't killed George Floyd, the choice might have been very different.

It was pre South Carolina and Biden was dying on the vine. Clyburn demanded it and Biden needed Clyburn’s network to survive SC. That’s it. Classic democratic horse trading.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/11/07/politics/clyburn-biden-black-woman-running-mate-cnntv/index.html

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Civilized Fishbot posted:

You think she just fell out of s coconut tree? She exists in the context of all in which she lives and what came before her.

Speaking of which, I was wondering... does anyone here know what the bolded part means?

Remarks by Vice President Harris at the Munich Security Conference | Munich, Germany | The White House

www.whitehouse.gov - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 posted:

Hotel Bayerischer Hof
Munich, Germany

2:38 P.M. CEST

AMBASSADOR HEUSGEN: Thank you. Thank you very much. Last question.

After Munich last year, you remember, we discussed about the Global South and how important it is. You actually traveled to Ghana, to — and we just had the president here, too — Tanzania and Zambia. What was your impression? There seems to be a growing transactional mindset. How do we react to this? How can we — the U.S. and Europe — win them over?

VICE PRESIDENT HARRIS: Well, I’m going to challenge the premise of your question. That for — on behalf of the United States, I will tell you that I believe that we must think differently about the relationship between the United States and the continent of Africa. And I’m frankly very excited about what is happening on the continent and my trip being further reinforcement of that point.

We look at the — the future of the continent and how it will affect the future of the world: It is indisputable, there will be a direct impact.

The median age on the continent of Africa is 19. By 2050, it is estimated that one in four people occupying place on Mother Earth will be on the continent of Africa.

So, when we think of it in terms of the future, we must see the innovation that is currently happening there and partner with African leaders and nations and change the way we are thinking in a way that it is not about aid, but about partnership; not what we do for the continent, but what we do with the continent and its leaders.

When I was there, I was in — at Ghana, for example, meeting with a number of business leaders — leaders in the clean energy economy. Afrobeats and what culture of Africa is doing to impact the world in terms of how it thinks about the arts is profound. So, the future has to be about partnership and investment.

To your point about tran- — the transactional issue, certainly, when I was there, the press asked me almost every day: Are you here because of China? And my answer was, “No, we are here because of the Afri- — the people on the Af- — continent of Africa and what the partnership will mean.”

And let’s not forget ever the interconnected history between the United States and Africa and what that means in terms of how we should think about the relationship and how we should think about our commitment to the African nations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

zoux posted:

He's going to wring every cent out of the RNC coffers once Lara is made co-chair.

So assuming that happens, what would the consequences of this be for the election? I would assume that this would be disastrous for the downticket races, right? I vaguely recall reading that the local GOP offices are really low on cash right now, so Trump embezzling the RNC coffers at this point would basically lead to ceding a lot of local elections to the dems, wouldn't it?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

celadon posted:

If Biden was voluntarily stepping down for health issues the entire political climate would shift and the polling would reflect that.

This would not change how people feel about Gavin Newsom or Kamala Harris. I doubt either would win an open primary.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This would not change how people feel about Gavin Newsom or Kamala Harris. I doubt either would win an open primary.

What makes you think that about Newsom? I am not as familiar with the guy, is it just the california stink that you think would drag him down nationally? Or does he have a nasty side to compliment his used car salesman looks?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Dull Fork posted:

What makes you think that about Newsom? I am not as familiar with the guy, is it just the california stink that you think would drag him down nationally? Or does he have a nasty side to compliment his used car salesman looks?

He’s unctuous. He was married to Kimberly Guilfoyle for five years. His behavior during covid.

There’s no hint of substance, inspiration, or transformational leadership in the man.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mawarannahr posted:

Speaking of which, I was wondering... does anyone here know what the bolded part means?

Remarks by Vice President Harris at the Munich Security Conference | Munich, Germany | The White House

Afrobeats is a style of music born out of Africa that is going mainstream (they featured it at the Grammies) and she’s saying that kind of cultural exchange is good?

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Dull Fork posted:

I do think Newsom would have a tough time overcoming the attacks as a ~CaLiFoRnIA lIBeRaL~ and you can just see the ads showing shot after shot of homeless people shooting up and defecating. Is that his fault? No of course not, but the perception would be a real problem. As someone posted here yesterday or maybe the other day, an awful lot of Americans have negative views of California and while that's mostly Republicans it probably includes a decent number of independents too.
e: he's not just governor of CA, he was mayor of SF albeit when the city was booming during the honeymoon period of big tech.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Sure but "transformational energy" got us 8 years of Obama who was perhaps the least transformational President of my lifetime.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bar Ran Dun posted:

He’s unctuous.

Now that is an insult primed to return to prominence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Honestly I think the dream Dem ticket would be Whitmer/Beshear or vice versa. Maybe in 2028 if we still have elections.