Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I also think it would just be thematically interesting if the Gorosei's biggest weakness was letting power make them complacent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lucci both awakened his fruit and learned haki during the timeskip so I can imagine he's a lot stronger

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Cat Machine posted:

Let me introduce you to this guy called Genghis Khan

That guy that Matt Damon defeated at the wall?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
once again fights are not always about winning. lucci is fighting to distract and stall zoro.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

anime was right posted:

once again fights are not always about winning. lucci is fighting to distract and stall zoro.

This sounds like cope from people with agendas.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's not a fair fight. Zoro is weak vs non-swordsmen.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Larryb posted:

He said it himself when he first appeared, “A man’s dream will never die”

new theory: blackbeard is a devil fruit that ate the Person-Person Fruit ver. Pirate

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

No Wave posted:

It's not a fair fight. Zoro is weak vs non-swordsmen.

Lucci has five tiny swords per hand though

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Don't worry, Jinbe's on the way to get all the credit somehow.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

There is also just nothing happening in the fight. Everything else is worldending cataclysmic showdowns, cut to Zoro and Lucci standing still and throwing little slashes at each other.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Waffleman_ posted:

I also think it would just be thematically interesting if the Gorosei's biggest weakness was letting power make them complacent

I 100% dont agree thematically and I dont think its going to happen in the story either. The fact that we have seen the Gorosei scheming since Water 7 is enough to show that they are holding onto thier power with both hands and not letting go. Imu still regrets Lilis betrayal and the scattering of the Poneglyphs and that was 800 years ago. Theyre certainly not thinking "eh, whatever" about it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Bisse posted:

There is also just nothing happening in the fight. Everything else is worldending cataclysmic showdowns, cut to Zoro and Lucci standing still and throwing little slashes at each other.
It's not getting a lot of focus, but honestly with everything else going on: good. More stuff happening in the fight would probably make the fight more interesting, but it would not add anything to the arc.

What happened this chapter with Lucci goading Zoro to presumably set up some sort of upcoming internal conflict (because it doesn't really make sense on its own)is as much as I would want out of this fight. Some character setup. No need to focus on it. The concept that it's happening at all has a good weight in the context of the whole manga, but we don't need to dwell on it when so much more interesting stuff is happening.

The real question everyone should be asking is- are they gonna stop the Sunny careening off the island?? I love Brook so much.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bisse posted:

This is what happens when you get training from the biggest fraud of them all.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
He'll use his master's greatest technique

"Let's fight at another time"

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Looks like Kizaru is done. Spoilers for the most recent chapter, obvs

https://streamable.com/9xerfh

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

White Light posted:

The face tells so many stories :allears:

'Did I get my poo poo deflected by the bronze medal here, the gently caress happened at Wano man' :dogstare:

Even better, if you look at it purely according to the bounties (which is silly, but fun!), Sanji is the #4 ranked Strawhat. Kizaru's unblockable move just got blocked by a guy who couldn't even make the podium for the Straw Hats :bisonyes:

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
The Egghead Island incident AKA Elder Star Saturn’s very bad no good day.

Glad people explained what the hell Devon’s fruit does because I had no idea at all. Don’t agree that this acts as a death flag for Saturn though. “How can they impersonate Saturn if the real one is alive?” Uhh, more like how can they impersonate Saturn if the real one is dead. Even the most unquestionably obedient marine might start asking questions if a dead guy turns up and starts barking orders.

For some things it benefits the WG to hide their failures but Morgans won’t keep his mouth shut about this one, and if Saturn does go down it’s probably better for them to try to make him a martyr than to bury it as a secret.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
https://deadline.com/2024/02/one-piece-season-2-inaki-godoy-jacob-romero-1235828656/

Wild fan casting wish from the boys here. While it would be hilarious to see DeVito as someone more important, he could probably pull off a one episode role as Crocus.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Teek posted:

https://deadline.com/2024/02/one-piece-season-2-inaki-godoy-jacob-romero-1235828656/

Wild fan casting wish from the boys here. While it would be hilarious to see DeVito as someone more important, he could probably pull off a one episode role as Crocus.

Yes.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Danny Devito was born to be shoved in a treasure chest.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Danny Divito as Chopper, no cgi just makeup

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Danny Devito Crocodile....

rko
Jul 12, 2017
I picked a really good time to finally sit down and read One Piece, which took me one extremely unemployed week last month. More people should read it probably; it’s in the running for the all-time greats of fantasy literature. Oda’s skill with a loving flashback, my god. How does he do that?

I don’t even feel my usual concern with whether or not the author will stick the landing. The final saga has been so confident about moving the pieces around, even when it’s doing a platonically ideal tear-jerking backstory segment. What a story.

Elite posted:

Don’t agree that this acts as a death flag for Saturn though. “How can they impersonate Saturn if the real one is alive?” Uhh, more like how can they impersonate Saturn if the real one is dead. Even the most unquestionably obedient marine might start asking questions if a dead guy turns up and starts barking orders.

For some things it benefits the WG to hide their failures but Morgans won’t keep his mouth shut about this one, and if Saturn does go down it’s probably better for them to try to make him a martyr than to bury it as a secret.

I feel like Chekhov’s Robot in the basement and Chekhov’s Laser Satellite above might go a long way toward burying a lot here, but either way, there aren’t many people left to even see what happens next, and I’m guessing most of them will get KO’d before Saturn goes down. Saturn might not die, but him going MIA is the best outcome for BB & Co. anyway, and that crew has a habit of benefitting from that kind of diabolos ex machina.

Morgans also only has two outcomes in his immediate future—joining the Straw Hats or getting captured along with Vivi and Wapol. My guess is that the Thousand Sunny leaves behind Luffy and some other folks, and Morgans swoops in to grab them right before the whole island gets turbofucked from above and below.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Danny Devito as Dorry or Broggy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

GodFish posted:

both.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Will be very surprised if Saturn makes it out of this arc tbh. Doesn't seem like he really has a lot to contribute long term despite being generically evil and powerful and I'm guessing every elder star will be that.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

GodFish posted:

so anyway I started slashin

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Devito Piece starring Danny Devito as literally every single character.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Devito's getting old as hell. I dunno if he'd want to fly out to film on location.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Well, if we're looking for a character that doesn't see so good and chased after them, but doesn't run so good either, I'm guessing we're looking at one hell of a Tashigi stunt casting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Devito's getting old as hell. I dunno if he'd want to fly out to film on location.

Let's get him a voice role, then

:bignews:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I saw someone suggest the sword seller Ipponmatsu which would be funny since he kindof looks the part and you could probably film that scene off-location if needed

rko
Jul 12, 2017
I bet he could really chew up the scenery as Wapol, though. That’s the dream right there.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nikumatic posted:

Danny Devito was born to be shoved in a treasure chest.
:sickos:

Waffleman_ posted:

Let's get him a voice role, then

:bignews:
:sickos: :sickos:

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

so sanji presumably blocks/refracts that light with his invisibility somehow, right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rko posted:

I bet he could really chew up the scenery as Wapol, though. That’s the dream right there.

Exactly who I thought of second after Chopper :hmmyes:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's the power of love fool

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

His shoes are made of mirrors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

rko posted:

This was my first thought. His Wapol would be a cross between his Penguin and Frank Reynolds. And it'd rule.