Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

his name is absolutely supposed to be thistle but the official translations botched it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Extremely important thread

https://x.com/gaearth/status/1758134409788822011?s=46

copy
Jul 26, 2007

thats cool ty for posting. made me remember how game manuals used to have lots of cool details and poo poo and how much reading those on the driv ehome colored my experience with the game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Can you link to a threadreader or whatever unrolled version of it, I can't use twitter.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Summary of Kui Ryoko's interview with Famitsu (Feb 15th '24):
- Her first memory of video games was watching her father playing Wizardry on Famicom, also Dragon Quest, Ultima, and Fire Emblem among others.
- She was a difficult child so her parents didn't let her play. Wizardry is a boring game to watch, but the monster illustrations on the walkthrough evoked her imagination and made her keep watching.
- She only started becoming a serious gamer after the serialization of Dungeon Meshi was locked, for research purposes. Before that, she read fantasy novels such as The Neverending Story (Michael Ende) and The Lord of the Rings (JRR Tolkien).
- The international title for Dungeon Meshi: Delicious in Dungeons was decided by her editor.
- D&D popped up a lot when she researched the history of video games, so she read the rule books, replay novels, and games inspired by D&D.
- One of the first games she studied was the Legend of Grimrock (game's 80% off on Steam atm). Originally, she wanted Dungeon Master (FTL Games) which was famous for "RPG with meals" but hunting down the game and machine was too much.
- She didn't like games other than turn-based RPGs at first, but she decided to stop being picky and play anything that piqued her interest.
- She played Zelda: BotW and TotK on a borrowed Switch from her editor due to the console's scarcity at the time.
- She enjoyed Red Dead Redemption 2 and God of War for their stories. RDR2's incredible attention to detail had Kui engrossed so much that she asked her editor and other mangaka to play it so she could discuss it with them.
- Kui praised The Witcher 3 localization as something only possible with full support from the developer. Cyberpunk 2077 is one of her all-time favorites.
- Papers, Please was her first taste of indie games.
- Disco Elysium is the perfect game for her due to the lack of fighting, intriguing story, charming character interaction, and top-down perspective. She tried playing it in English at first due to an unlikely chance for JP loc, but it was out of her ability. Thus she is forever grateful to Spike Chunsoft for localizing it.
- Kui played Baldur's Gate 3 from the time it was in Early Access. Again, she's grateful for Spike Chunsoft's JP loc. She hoped BG3's success would bring the possibility of JP loc for other titles too, such as Pathfinder: wotr
- She likes games with top-down perspective because they have narration text for monologues and scenery description. Even if the graphic is lacking, the texts show the atmosphere and each character's behavior and psyche. Also, characters that react to your choices.
- She praised Unpacking and House Flipper for being able to tell what kind of person lives there only through their belongings, and that there's no right or wrong for the placements; she would make the best arrangement and then enjoy her hard work while sipping tea.
- The biggest inspiration for Dungeon Meshi was the Cosmic Forge pen from Wizardry VI. With improved graphics from its predecessor, now it could show broken farming tools in the background and many more details that made exploration so much fun.
- At the time of the interview (Dec '23) she still hadn't watched DunMeshi anime, but she attended the recording sessions. She's embarrassed that the dialog she wrote now acted passionately by professionals. Marcille's screaming was wonderful but also made her want to flee.
- Kui was anxious about the CP2077 anime adaptation, but she was relieved it was the Night City she knows and loves.
- Other than minor adjustments, she left it to TRIGGER as to how to adapt
- She's happy that Mitsuda Yasunori was chosen as the anime composer, as she used to play Chrono Cross and rewatched the opening many times.
- Her anticipated games in 2024 are Cloudpunk, Nivalis, and Avowed.
- DunMeshi would be hard to adapt into a game because in the first place, what Kui depicted in the manga are parts that are omitted in games for the sake of brevity.
- If DunMeshi game was Wizardry-like, it'd be told through Laios' perspective and eating was essential not to die

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kui is a choom.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

God. Is Cuno voiced in Japanese?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Looking it up nah the japanese version just translates the text, it isn't a dub

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

God. Is Cuno voiced in Japanese?

According to Disco Elysium's Steam page, it only has "full audio" in English.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Kui looks more and more like someone I would love to meet in a pub or cafe somewhere and just talk about RPGs and fantasy settings with her for hours.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Her only becoming a serious gamer post-the comic getting serialized is super surprising to me

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

thetoughestbean posted:

Her only becoming a serious gamer post-the comic getting serialized is super surprising to me

Yes I had thought those BG portraits she drew, for example, was out of nostalgia and not something she was recently into. I guess thats my own bias though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
thanks, that's fascinating

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

thetoughestbean posted:

More to the point, how did she find the time to play all those games?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Clarste posted:

Telling her editor it was research probably, same way araki got trips to Italy and Florida and Arizona

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Maybe she's one of those people who can function normally on like 3 or 4 hours of sleep.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Man I re-read some of the upcoming chapters and the anime is gonna get so good. Namari and the undine, the tentaclus, the frog suits, backstory for the dungeon, then the dragon. Hell yea

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Clarste posted:

Running in Harta, presumably. Unlike most manga magazines, they've got a policy where skipping a month isn't seen as a particularly big deal, and they only put out ten issues annually.

Add in variable chapter length, and it's easy to see how mangaka working for them find time to do things that aren't manga.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
it seems much healthier for the creators vs Shonen Jump's policy of breaking your kneecaps if you don't give them 20 pages every week

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

YggiDee posted:

it seems much healthier for the creators vs Shonen Jump's policy of breaking your kneecaps if you don't give them 20 pages every week

Shonen Jump creators have repeatedly gone on record to say that the current policy is that, if you need a break, you get one. (Ruri Dragon's been on hiatus for a very long time now). They'll even recommend a break if you seem to be having trouble.

The thing is, taking a break means not getting money for new pages, and means potentially losing momentum with readers, which can lose more money. (And if you're just starting off and haven't caught on big, you might get canned.) A lot of authors think they can keep going much longer than they can when it pays off.

Also, you know. Most weekly mangaka are insane workaholics who need to be physically restrained to get them to realize that maybe they're not in shape to keep going, so that doesn't help. Monthly magazines tend to draw calmer temperaments.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Jerkface posted:

Man I re-read some of the upcoming chapters and the anime is gonna get so good. Namari and the undine, the tentaclus, the frog suits, backstory for the dungeon, then the dragon. Hell yea

Yeah at the current pace it looks like we'll hit Falin's resurrection around Ep 12, Falingon fight around Ep 15-16, and Thistle and Falingon's attack on Floor 1 and the Canaries around Ep 24.

Which would hopefully mean likely another 12 episode season to finish out the endgame, because I can't see how they could cram it all in to the remaining 18 episodes of these two seasons.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Yeah at the current pace it looks like we'll hit Falin's resurrection around Ep 12, Falingon fight around Ep 15-16, and Thistle and Falingon's attack on Floor 1 and the Canaries around Ep 24.

Which would hopefully mean likely another 12 episode season to finish out the endgame, because I can't see how they could cram it all in to the remaining 18 episodes of these two seasons.

how dare you make this list and not include an izutsumi estimation. for shame. *spits at u*

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Izutsumi would be like two episodes after Faligon so like Episode 17 or 18

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Wonder if they're going to end the cour on Falin's resurrection or her transformation. Cause the latter would be a hell of a cliffhanger to leave off on if they're taking a short break

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm hoping the later for that reason, yeah

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I am very curious if the full elves will sound different from marcille. Elves in anime usually sound whispy or high pitched, marcille has been very refreshing to listen to, but it may be because she is a half elf.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Donkringel posted:

I am very curious if the full elves will sound different from marcille. Elves in anime usually sound whispy or high pitched, marcille has been very refreshing to listen to, but it may be because she is a half elf.

I think that's just as much attributable to the fact that she's a big old weirdo.

Given the vast majority of elves in this story are also big old weirdos, I have high hopes for how fun their VA will be.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

This is extremely cute. :haw:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
time to post dumb fanart that i like

[x]

[x]

[x]

also figure i'll ask here because i don't know where else - it's the year 2024, is it ok to just use the image's original url or are we still expected to rehost it. is hotlinking still a thing

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Poltergrift posted:

I think that's just as much attributable to the fact that she's a big old weirdo.

Given the vast majority of elves in this story are also big old weirdos, I have high hopes for how fun their VA will be.

Also we already met another elf.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SexyBlindfold posted:

also figure i'll ask here because i don't know where else - it's the year 2024, is it ok to just use the image's original url or are we still expected to rehost it. is hotlinking still a thing

Site bandwith is basically irrelevant in tyool 2024 so go nuts.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Something awful simply isnt able to ddos a site by reading a thread anymore.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also we already met another elf.

I think that other elf was also a half elf. I'm making this assumption on the ears being similar to marcille's. Full elves have longer, thinner ears while half elves have fatty ears.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
yet another page from the new Adventurer's Bible (Adventurer's New Testament???)

Otta giving strong Tim Robinson in a hot dog costume vibes

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love that Ryoko Kui has apparently gone "here enjoy this incredibly well-done story!" and while we're all standing and applauding the very good manga she's pulling out the second, presumably larger tome containing all the RPG worldbuilding

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Shotacon (short lived species complex) is a good bit

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Shortacon

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

YggiDee posted:

she's pulling out the second, presumably larger tome containing all the RPG worldbuilding

The applauding gets even louder, there’s whistles and cheers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
don't get me wrong. it think it's fantastic