Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Feldegast42 posted:

That's bullshit, I want everyone wearing their potato sacks and matching goggles back

I glammed them that way for Trust dungeons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://x.com/DividusYliaster/status/1758513780923785614?s=20

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
r/wollivingspace-rear end poo poo

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Doesn't have armoire awkwardly crammed in at a weird angle, 0/10.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no haurchefant 2/10 at best

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

God Hole posted:

I love when I finish my BLM rotation and the stars have aligned and I managed to pull off a quad-xenoglossy, then the connection corrects and it turns out I lost enochian 10 seconds ago and also I'm dead

King Crimson Endsinger claims another victim.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'm not using any mods (nothing against them, just the usual "knowledge of cybersecurity slowly makes you want to go back to the Stone Age")

Mods do not require admin/root and in fact xivlauncher FAQ strongly discourages ever running the game as root because the game has some "Japanese Developers on PC" magic going on where the files get write-protected to your user and you can't change settings or hotbars anymore.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There was also a good drama bomb last year where a visuals filter mod(gshade) had the developer sneak in malicious code to gently caress with a single user as a personal vendetta which resulted in practically the entire community abandoning it immediately on discovery. :v:

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Doomykins posted:

There was also a good drama bomb last year where a visuals filter mod(gshade) had the developer sneak in malicious code to gently caress with a single user as a personal vendetta which resulted in practically the entire community abandoning it immediately on discovery. :v:

Mod drama is some of the finest drama I'm FFXIV and this event was top tier.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
whether mods require admin/root isn't really material because there's a shitload you can do on a random person's pc without that

like the whole deal of dalamud is injecting third-party code into the game. the plugins from the default/official repo at least have gone through code review, and the D17 change made it so that every plugin is built by the team directly from its source repo at a specific commit, so they're verified

third party repos like the crime tools we love? it's 100% just downloading code from the internet and running it. i generally trust that these aren't malicious to the user, but it's still a massive security risk and i can't really blame someone for not wanting to accept it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Meanwhile I'm just lazy

Though that thief mod is still incredibly tempting

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Anyone ever dealt with the game crashing because of a "Fatal DirectX Error"? Tried all the solutions online (running windowless bordered, redownloading the game, making sure everything else is closed, switching to DirectX 9) and still keep getting them at random times.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Anyone ever dealt with the game crashing because of a "Fatal DirectX Error"? Tried all the solutions online (running windowless bordered, redownloading the game, making sure everything else is closed, switching to DirectX 9) and still keep getting them at random times.

I apparently had an issue with that, because your post triggered a memory where I had made a note of a fix that worked, just in case it happened again.

This is what worked for me, and here's hoping it works for you, too.,

Go to your FF14 install folder. By default, it's located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn\game

Delete ffxiv_dx11.exe

Let the patcher "repair" it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kheldarn posted:

I apparently had an issue with that, because your post triggered a memory where I had made a note of a fix that worked, just in case it happened again.

This is what worked for me, and here's hoping it works for you, too.,

Go to your FF14 install folder. By default, it's located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn\game

Delete ffxiv_dx11.exe

Let the patcher "repair" it.

When you say "repair" it is this something the official launcher does or do you mean XIVLauncher?

Don't have a problem with downloading XIVLauncher just need to make sure before I delete an exe file.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You can move it to another folder for insurance, just gotta get it out of there

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

When you say "repair" it is this something the official launcher does or do you mean XIVLauncher?

Don't have a problem with downloading XIVLauncher just need to make sure before I delete an exe file.

This was from before I started using plugins, so the default launcher should work fine.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

parasyte posted:

whether mods require admin/root isn't really material because there's a shitload you can do on a random person's pc without that

like the whole deal of dalamud is injecting third-party code into the game. the plugins from the default/official repo at least have gone through code review, and the D17 change made it so that every plugin is built by the team directly from its source repo at a specific commit, so they're verified

third party repos like the crime tools we love? it's 100% just downloading code from the internet and running it. i generally trust that these aren't malicious to the user, but it's still a massive security risk and i can't really blame someone for not wanting to accept it

In my case it's mostly that I had a real, real bad anxiety attack a few years ago due to discovering a trojan and then that my dumb younger self had installed a mod that left a backdoor open that thankfully didn't work after Windows 7, and then spiraling down into self-loathing, which might have been reflected in some posts back then(mainly the Pathfinder CRPG thread, I really apologize for that). I've improved since then but unless it's really tempting I prefer to try to minimize the risks at the very least. GitHub repos at least give me the confidence that I can look up the code (or at least someone can and will :justpost: about it)

Doomykins posted:

oh god, yeah, the second issue is modders are a coinflip between being the nicest persons on the Internet who fix games' problems for free for years and will actually answer a panicked paranoia induced pm with reassuring words, or have a black hole for an ego that will ignite the biggest fandom drama you'll ever see in the fandom.

That said ever since I did the macro trick to have extra menus for easier job changing I don't really feel I neeed QoL mods for FFXIV? Not sure what's available.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

the only mod anyone should "need" for final fantasy 14 is of course the one that plays the taco bell sound anytime someone dies

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the only mod anyone should "need" for final fantasy 14 is of course the one that plays the taco bell sound anytime someone dies

Live less mas

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Do you know how many seconds I’ve saved with the addon that automatically generates the current lowest listing price -1 for stuff I’m selling in my clipboard?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ItohRespectArmy posted:

excuse you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-kzAnJyt0A

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

oh god, yeah, the second issue is modders are a coinflip between being the nicest persons on the Internet who fix games' problems for free for years and will actually answer a panicked paranoia induced pm with reassuring words, or have a black hole for an ego that will ignite the biggest fandom drama you'll ever see in the fandom.

I feel like the actual constraints of the modding scene cuts away most of the former and leaves almost only the latter for FFXIV. Since any significant QoL mods are both extremely difficult to make/maintain and against the ToS anyway, you lose a lot of the people who'd do the 'bugfix' mods out of their own goodwill, and basically only leave outright cheaters or clout-chasers.

You see similar in cosmetics modding, too. The raw difficulty and obscurity means a lot of the people who mod as a creative/artistic outlet either wouldn't stay or wouldn't find it in the first place, so most of the people you find are the people who want to be a big fish in a small pond.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Cleretic posted:

I feel like the actual constraints of the modding scene cuts away most of the former and leaves almost only the latter for FFXIV. Since any significant QoL mods are both extremely difficult to make/maintain and against the ToS anyway, you lose a lot of the people who'd do the 'bugfix' mods out of their own goodwill, and basically only leave outright cheaters or clout-chasers.

You see similar in cosmetics modding, too. The raw difficulty and obscurity means a lot of the people who mod as a creative/artistic outlet either wouldn't stay or wouldn't find it in the first place, so most of the people you find are the people who want to be a big fish in a small pond.

the idea that modders who only use officially sanctioned apis are somehow nicer than those who don't is very funny to me

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

As someone who has played the Sims for over 20 years and modded it just as long, the FFXIV modding fandom is like a little baby.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Who is the Arthmoor of FF14 modding.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Funky Valentine posted:

Who is the Arthmoor of FF14 modding.

The g-shade person, as was already mentioned.

Doomykins posted:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The best part of the gshade drama is how minor the issue was in comparison to what the code actually did, making our coder dude look even worse than you would expect from that description.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

susan b buffering posted:

the idea that modders who only use officially sanctioned apis are somehow nicer than those who don't is very funny to me

To be a little bit more specific, I think a big element for the more functional mods there is that, thanks to them being against the ToS for a live service game that can actually punish you for breaking it, it repels a lot of the people who are being nice about things, and mainly keeps the people who would probably break that stuff anyway.

Cosmetics I think might just have an entirely unrelated parallel issue.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Watching people make up malicious head canon about modders is wild. The vast majority want their action figure to look prettier. Yes there are jerks in the modding scene, broadly at the same rate as humanity overall.

The gateway to being a modder is more along the lines of "willing to mess around in Blender past initial frustration."

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

how about the one i have that does the overwatch death sound

edit: also that's pretty amusing, the people writing the mods are generally pretty cool and also the main place where there's reverse engineering done also has pretty strict rules about what you should be able to do with plugins, so as to fly under the radar more cleanly

parasyte fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 17, 2024

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Just imagine in your head that people who play games without mod support and then mod them anyways might also happen to play ff14 and I think you'll dispel the bizarre idea that ff14 modders are somehow more unsavory lmao

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Cleretic posted:

To be a little bit more specific, I think a big element for the more functional mods there is that, thanks to them being against the ToS for a live service game that can actually punish you for breaking it, it repels a lot of the people who are being nice about things, and mainly keeps the people who would probably break that stuff anyway.

Cosmetics I think might just have an entirely unrelated parallel issue.

i don't think this is true. reverse-engineering a game that doesn't officially support mods is interesting in a way that officially sanctioned mods aren't. it has nothing to do with moral character.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I don't know anything about mod drama, I just know that I've never seen a cosmetic mod that I thought would actually look good on my character, so ehhhhhh

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Mod that plays the YOU ARE DEAD song from Total Distortion whenever you die.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i had a mod in WoW that played the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme when i died, i should see if there's an equivalent for ff14

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

There is, at least, a mod that adds the Dark Souls YOU DIED display when you die. :v:

Antivehicular posted:

I don't know anything about mod drama, I just know that I've never seen a cosmetic mod that I thought would actually look good on my character, so ehhhhhh

Mods let me give my character freckles like I have in real life. I really hate how most video games either never let freckles be an option or it basically amounts to a handful of dots on the cheeks and bridge of the nose.

They also let my suncat have mooncat fangs.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 17, 2024

leaptosleep
Jun 13, 2023
That reminds me of the funniest thing I've ever witnessed in this game. There was some FC drama going down in Limsa in /say and /shout chat for some reason and meanwhile a hrothgar bard was parked next to them playing the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme on a loop. It doesn't sound as funny when I describe it but I was cackling at the time.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

leaptosleep posted:

That reminds me of the funniest thing I've ever witnessed in this game. There was some FC drama going down in Limsa in /say and /shout chat for some reason and meanwhile a hrothgar bard was parked next to them playing the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme on a loop. It doesn't sound as funny when I describe it but I was cackling at the time.

lol

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

leaptosleep posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

FC drama is stupid, just split the rewards evenly, selling high ticket items on the market board, and the rest is basic don't poo poo where you eat stuff. If twelve year olds can manage a friend group you can manage an FC.