Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

HalloKitty posted:

Well not really, yt-dlp is what you want

Thanks!

repiv posted:

if you just want a clean website for downloading videos then https://cobalt.tools

open source, no ads, no nonsense

This seems great, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Hi thread, I'm looking for a way to stream music from my PC to a group of listeners, with some fairly specific requirements. I'm thinking of soundtracking my next online D&D campaign, something I used to do for my in-person games to great effect, but I'm struggling to think of a way to do it online that meets my requirements:

1) Ability to stream music to 5 people.
2) Music comes from files on my hard drive, or that I upload to something, since I customize the files to loop better.
3) Uses either a folder system or my actual Windows Explorer interface for track selection; I have hundreds of tracks organized in a particular way, and I need a robust interface to navigate it mid-game.
4) Optional but preferable: volume control on the receivers' end.

Anyone familiar with a setup that might handle this?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kestral posted:

Hi thread, I'm looking for a way to stream music from my PC to a group of listeners, with some fairly specific requirements. I'm thinking of soundtracking my next online D&D campaign, something I used to do for my in-person games to great effect, but I'm struggling to think of a way to do it online that meets my requirements:

2) Music comes from files on my hard drive, or that I upload to something, since I customize the files to loop better.
3) Uses either a folder system or my actual Windows Explorer interface for track selection; I have hundreds of tracks organized in a particular way, and I need a robust interface to navigate it mid-game.

What’s your voice or video call software? For example, Discord has a built in soundboard that might let you do what you want.

e: and your virtual tabletop if any. Foundry can do this, for example.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Everybody in a Discord chat and you stream over the voice channel?

E: F, b

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
We do this in some of mine just using the "listen along" function spotify/discord have rather than rolling an entire new audio stream for it. Are you sure you really need to go that hard?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kestral posted:

Kenku fm may be perfect. I think you can use your own music with it. https://www.kenku.fm/

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Arivia posted:

What’s your voice or video call software? For example, Discord has a built in soundboard that might let you do what you want.

e: and your virtual tabletop if any. Foundry can do this, for example.

We use Discord + Roll20. It's my frustration with the Roll20 interface that makes me post this, since there's no folder system and the handling cost of searching through a linear list of a couple hundred tracks to find the one I need at that exact moment is too much while I'm running the game at the same time, plus it has this weird tendency to occasionally play music for some players but not all of them. Discord's soundboard looks like it's only clips up to five seconds long - am I missing something there?

Javid posted:

We do this in some of mine just using the "listen along" function spotify/discord have rather than rolling an entire new audio stream for it. Are you sure you really need to go that hard?

Re: Listen Along, it doesn't work for my purposes because a fair amount of the music I use isn't on Spotify at all, or if it is, it's in a format that doesn't loop well. Music made for TV and movies very often is only 2-ish minutes long with a distinct intro/outro, and in order to make it something people are willing to listen to for 20-30 minutes without their ears getting tired, I have to do some work on it in Audacity. And because I already have a soundtrack for this game from having used it before with another group, it's actually [i]far/i] less work for me to just re-use the assets I already have than to figure out how to make a lesser version work through Spotify.

tuyop posted:

Kenku fm may be perfect. I think you can use your own music with it. https://www.kenku.fm/

This is promising! I'll check it out tonight and report back.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Kestral posted:

We use Discord + Roll20. It's my frustration with the Roll20 interface that makes me post this, since there's no folder system and the handling cost of searching through a linear list of a couple hundred tracks to find the one I need at that exact moment is too much while I'm running the game at the same time, plus it has this weird tendency to occasionally play music for some players but not all of them. Discord's soundboard looks like it's only clips up to five seconds long - am I missing something there?

Re: Listen Along, it doesn't work for my purposes because a fair amount of the music I use isn't on Spotify at all, or if it is, it's in a format that doesn't loop well. Music made for TV and movies very often is only 2-ish minutes long with a distinct intro/outro, and in order to make it something people are willing to listen to for 20-30 minutes without their ears getting tired, I have to do some work on it in Audacity. And because I already have a soundtrack for this game from having used it before with another group, it's actually [i]far/i] less work for me to just re-use the assets I already have than to figure out how to make a lesser version work through Spotify.

This is promising! I'll check it out tonight and report back.

if you use discord, you can use obs to mix in audio from your music app of choice, then use obs to stream out to a virtual webcam, which can then be selected as a source in discord.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I can state from experience that any setup that shoves the music down the discord voice channel is likely to be miserable for everyone involved.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Javid posted:

I can state from experience that any setup that shoves the music down the discord voice channel is likely to be miserable for everyone involved.

It's gonna be constantly cutting out when people talk

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Hi all I have been running into some issues with Windows 10, my video card (GTX 970), or possibly my monitor (its an Acer Predator XB1 27" 1440p 165hz with G-Sync), but just wondering if anyone had any ideas about where to dive in.

First, I can't seem to play 2 YouTube videos side by side on my monitor if they're using the same browser. If both are actively playing and are in view, they either start chugging or they start buffering. If I hide one while playing it seems fine. If I load a video in Edge and one in Chrome, that works. So it's doesn't seem to be an issue with my computer not being able to run two videos, but probably something to do with how much resources one application can have? It wasn't always this way but I'm not sure when it started to happen. Tried to update my video drivers and it didn't help.

Second, I've been having issues where my monitor will briefly reflect the other half of the monitor. Again if I have two browser windows open and they are both on web pages where there are videos (doesn't have to be youtube, as long as both browser windows contains video), what will happen sometimes is that one side of the screen will all of a sudden mirror the other side of the screen exactly sans video. It'll stay like that for maybe a second or two before reverting.

I'm guessing maybe my video card is dying? That's kinda the only thing that makes sense

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Gave Kenku.fm a try tonight, the interface is pretty good and the players who were testing it with me said the audio quality was great, so that's a strong start. We're going to try it at more length during our next session, fingers crossed!

more falafel please posted:

It's gonna be constantly cutting out when people talk

This is a real concern, one that I'm going to need to test in play. If folks have more suggestions I'd love to try them out in case Kenku just doesn't stand up to the rigors of actual play.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
Kenku in my experience works great, because it doesn't require any setup on the player side and they can adjust the individual user volume on their own end. Helps a lot for people with focus/sensory issues.

Didn't have any issues once I'd fussed around with setting up playlists, etc, but you are gated somewhat by the voice quality of any given server.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm not an expert at Discord streaming but when you stream a game the audio from that works fine with people speaking, so you just need to make sure that OBS or whatever is streaming your mood audio over the "game" stream and not the "voice" stream.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Strong Sauce posted:

Hi all I have been running into some issues with Windows 10, my video card (GTX 970), or possibly my monitor (its an Acer Predator XB1 27" 1440p 165hz with G-Sync), but just wondering if anyone had any ideas about where to dive in.

First, I can't seem to play 2 YouTube videos side by side on my monitor if they're using the same browser. If both are actively playing and are in view, they either start chugging or they start buffering. If I hide one while playing it seems fine. If I load a video in Edge and one in Chrome, that works. So it's doesn't seem to be an issue with my computer not being able to run two videos, but probably something to do with how much resources one application can have? It wasn't always this way but I'm not sure when it started to happen. Tried to update my video drivers and it didn't help.

Second, I've been having issues where my monitor will briefly reflect the other half of the monitor. Again if I have two browser windows open and they are both on web pages where there are videos (doesn't have to be youtube, as long as both browser windows contains video), what will happen sometimes is that one side of the screen will all of a sudden mirror the other side of the screen exactly sans video. It'll stay like that for maybe a second or two before reverting.

I'm guessing maybe my video card is dying? That's kinda the only thing that makes sense

This one sounds fun!

Is chrome your main browser? Firefox?

Try two videos in incognito mode. Same?

Try two videos in a new Chrome profile. Same?

Open devmgmt.msc and under Display Adapters, right click and uninstall the 970. Keep the drivers if it askd. Action menu, choose "scan for new hardware", try two videos. Same?

Do the same again but delete the drivers. Run windows update. Same?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Strong Sauce posted:

The XB1 has some goofy poo poo with it's firmware. Take a screenshot when you see the mirrored behavior and see what's on the clipboard (put it in MSPaint). If the clipboard returns a mirrored image, the problem is probably with the GPU. If the clipboard returns a normal image, that suggests the XB1 is being goofy. My chips are on the XB1 being at fault.

The other issue you describe re: chugging/buffering is probably just hardware perf. I assume the 970 is paired with an equally old CPU and modern Youtube will consume the poo poo out of that.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I've been using Win11 for a long while and enjoy it. But I am hoping I could get some help on a minor issue that is driving me nuts if yall don't mind.

on the Taskbar, there are those little icons on the bottom right? I think these are called System Tray Icons?

By going into Taskbar Options, you can choose which icons show on the taskbar vs which ones get hidden and you have to click the little arrow. The problem is, every time I, for example, update my graphics card drivers- which is often, of course- the icon goes back to being hidden behind the arrow and I am forced to go back into Taskbar Settings every single time to re-show it on the taskbar.

This might be a hot take, but that arrow is loving bullshit and hiding open applications is a real and bewildering security risk, so it's strange af that it defaults to actively hiding your programs?

I want to know what is open on my loving computer. How do I banish this stupid arrow to the shadow realm? I want to see every single application, always. That's it. And I find it actively shady that Microsoft apparently doesn't think that option should be in Taskbar Settings...

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Did 11 remove that toggle? In 10 it's

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

No, Windows 11 has a useless toggle to hide the whole arrow submenu, simply making previously hidden tray icons both hidden and entirely inaccessible, which is insane.

Add a new program, its tray icon will be hidden and if you want it to always be visible, you must go through taskbar settings.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

wow what a piece of poo poo, that setting has been vital for like 25 years

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I've been having this issue with Discord in Windows 10. It's a pain, but made slightly better by the realisation that you can just drag and drop the icon back to where it should be, rather than going through settings (though I have no idea if this works in 11).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

They could simply have new programs default to always visible to completely take the sting out of that. Then I'd be happy with a way to banish them if they're of no use to me.

E ^^^^^^ That works in 11

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

down1nit posted:

Kinda sorta feels like your bios or ec is stuck/crashing? See if there's a bios update for your system, ditto for chipset or "power management" software.

The power button is odd, the ec is supposed to respond to that no matter what (on paper). The goal is to have the power button engaged for approx 5 solid seconds. Perhaps your button is shite or has corrosion somewhere?

yea, i updated my bios this morning--thanks.

what is ec?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
removing the UI toggle is bullshit, but uh...

Taima posted:

This might be a hot take, but that arrow is loving bullshit and hiding open applications is a real and bewildering security risk, so it's strange af that it defaults to actively hiding your programs?

I really can't call hiding systray programs a security risk. Any actual malware isn't gonna give itself a systray icon, and plenty of programs that have components which are possibly remote-exploitable will run those parts as services which also may not show up in the tray. (Or worse, will run background services that stay on even when you exit the frontend.)

If you are worried about security risks, the answer is a real audit of what's installed and what it runs, not looking in the systray.

edit:

down1nit posted:

Do this but using DDU rather than windows, which will 100% wipe all old video drivers that could be hanging around.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 17, 2024

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

down1nit posted:

This one sounds fun!

Is chrome your main browser? Firefox?

Try two videos in incognito mode. Same?

Try two videos in a new Chrome profile. Same?

Open devmgmt.msc and under Display Adapters, right click and uninstall the 970. Keep the drivers if it askd. Action menu, choose "scan for new hardware", try two videos. Same?

My main browser is Chrome yes. I tried Edge and it also has the same issue it seems with the chugging. To be clear I think the chugging and the glitching are probably separate issues. I don't use Edge enough to see it glitching. So that's only really in Chrome.

Separately I was trying to reproduce it in incognito mode in Chrome on both sides of my monitor, I briefly went to another Chrome browser (not incognito) on the left side, and it glitched again but it revealed the incognito window that was underneath the non-incognito window on the left side.

I have rebooted my machine, and I have tried reinstalling my drivers but maybe I'll do this again to make sure.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The XB1 has some goofy poo poo with it's firmware. Take a screenshot when you see the mirrored behavior and see what's on the clipboard (put it in MSPaint). If the clipboard returns a mirrored image, the problem is probably with the GPU. If the clipboard returns a normal image, that suggests the XB1 is being goofy. My chips are on the XB1 being at fault.

The other issue you describe re: chugging/buffering is probably just hardware perf. I assume the 970 is paired with an equally old CPU and modern Youtube will consume the poo poo out of that.

i was on Windows 7 for the longest time before upgrading to 10 and 10 + Chrome ran well for a bit before this started happening maybe 1-2 months ago. I do have older hardware but its never been an issue running YouTube like this either in 7 or 10.

I did have an issue with my monitor where very middle line of pixels in the middle of the monitor just "disappeared" similar to this guys issue but after a reboot it never reappeared. https://community.acer.com/en/discu...-of-the-display

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It could be of interest to try the h264ify extension in your browsers and see if it still happens?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

abelwingnut posted:

yea, i updated my bios this morning--thanks.

what is ec?

An embedded controller! At one point it was a simple keyboard controller, but it's gotten more tasks over the years so they call it the generic name of EC.

Boringpost: The EC in this case is a chip on your motherboard with many "old school" tasks. It reads your keyboard input, reads communication networks, and importantly for you, It supplies signals to various circuits to tell the computer to turn on and operate. I like describing the EC as a CPU's Assistant, since does things the CPU would absolutely like done, but without bothering the CPU too much. It does this by being a computer itself.

It has "ram" and a "hard drive" as well as a "CPU".

It uses a BIOS chip, usually the main BIOS chip to get its instructions. Sometimes there's a whole other chip, just for the EC. The EC reads from whichever BIOS and does the things it's told, but because it's a computer conceptually, it can crash too. Sometimes updating it's instructions helps. Usually both Main and EC bios updates are in one download, and your computer will reboot multiple times during the update to apply each one.

Sometimes you hit the jackpot and your computer reboots 6 times from one update file! Wow! (EC, ME, BIOS, TB, TPM, VGA, etc.)

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Taima posted:

I've been using Win11 for a long while and enjoy it. But I am hoping I could get some help on a minor issue that is driving me nuts if yall don't mind.

on the Taskbar, there are those little icons on the bottom right? I think these are called System Tray Icons?

By going into Taskbar Options, you can choose which icons show on the taskbar vs which ones get hidden and you have to click the little arrow. The problem is, every time I, for example, update my graphics card drivers- which is often, of course- the icon goes back to being hidden behind the arrow and I am forced to go back into Taskbar Settings every single time to re-show it on the taskbar.

I want to know what is open on my loving computer. How do I banish this stupid arrow to the shadow realm? I want to see every single application, always. That's it. And I find it actively shady that Microsoft apparently doesn't think that option should be in Taskbar Settings...

It's supposed to stick. Is amd/Nvidia whoever maybe updating the stupid task that puts the icon there? Maybe the exe is renamed every time? nvdxxxvSept302023.exe or whatever? Just stabbing in the dark. Or maybe just disable it like we all do so then you can think "yesssss, frames" for a bit.

It *is* bullshit to take stuff away. Imagine having your right to see a doctor to save your life taken away.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Every Windows 10 machine I've ever had sometimes hangs for like 10 to even as much as 15-20 seconds very rarely when you right click on the desktop. Am I the only one experiencing this? If not, has there ever been an explanation? These are all powerful machines with a lot of RAM and it's certainly not a very resource intensive thing for the pc to do regardless.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

VelociBacon posted:

Every Windows 10 machine I've ever had sometimes hangs for like 10 to even as much as 15-20 seconds very rarely when you right click on the desktop. Am I the only one experiencing this? If not, has there ever been an explanation? These are all powerful machines with a lot of RAM and it's certainly not a very resource intensive thing for the pc to do regardless.

I've never experienced something like described with a right-click. However, I do experience it from time to time when I click into Fie Explorer and my external USB media drive has to spin up.

Do you have any spinning hdd's in the computer that could be going to sleep, then taking time to wake up?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

Do you have any spinning hdd's in the computer that could be going to sleep, then taking time to wake up?

Yeah I do actually, I have 2, one is extremely old with nothing important on it and I'm seeing how long it lasts. It would have been in every system but never as the OS disk. I've had the OS on an SSD +/- NVME for each of these. Do you think it's still doing something where it's waiting for indexing of that drive or something?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah I do actually, I have 2, one is extremely old with nothing important on it and I'm seeing how long it lasts. It would have been in every system but never as the OS disk. I've had the OS on an SSD +/- NVME for each of these. Do you think it's still doing something where it's waiting for indexing of that drive or something?

That would be my initial guess based on what you're describing but I don't have deep knowledge on the topic. You could try searching for Window settings to prevent it going to sleep, or unplug it, for testing and see if that helps.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VelociBacon posted:

Do you have software installed that adds extensions to the right-click? Either the top part or in sub-menus.

Extensions to this menu load & run every time you open the right-click, and if they suck (or just are ancient and do poo poo that worked ok in winXP but gives modern security fits) they will cause that type of delay.

This is why 11 removed the ability to add extensions to the new right-click.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Autoruns is a great piece of software to clean that stuff up.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Klyith posted:

Do you have software installed that adds extensions to the right-click? Either the top part or in sub-menus.

Extensions to this menu load & run every time you open the right-click, and if they suck (or just are ancient and do poo poo that worked ok in winXP but gives modern security fits) they will cause that type of delay.

I do but it really doesn't seem that excessive?

astral posted:

Autoruns is a great piece of software to clean that stuff up.

Does this just remove stuff? I like it the way it is and this problem probably happens 1% of the time I right click on the desktop.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The context menu extensions that are currently displaying things are not the only ones that run on right-click.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

VelociBacon posted:

FWIW, I used to use a rather ancient USB external drive (Seagate GoFlex Desk?) that ground my entire system to a complete halt when it needed to spin up. So I just left it unplugged until I needed to use it. The spinny storage HDD (WD Caviar Blue) I had inside the case never had that issue. Last fall, I replaced both of those with SSDs. I hear drive prices have gone up since then, but I'd still recommend replacing all your spinning platters as soon as you can afford it.

Klyith posted:

drat, really? I use "Edit with Notepad++" and 7-zip functions all the time via right-click in 10. I guess I could get around the former by painstakingly setting up file associations (ugh), but there's no easy solution for the latter.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ofecks posted:

FWIW, I used to use a rather ancient USB external drive (Seagate GoFlex Desk?) that ground my entire system to a complete halt when it needed to spin up. So I just left it unplugged until I needed to use it. The spinny storage HDD (WD Caviar Blue) I had inside the case never had that issue. Last fall, I replaced both of those with SSDs. I hear drive prices have gone up since then, but I'd still recommend replacing all your spinning platters as soon as you can afford it.

drat, really? I use "Edit with Notepad++" and 7-zip functions all the time via right-click in 10. I guess I could get around the former by painstakingly setting up file associations (ugh), but there's no easy solution for the latter.

Right click context menu items are still there in Windows 11, some you just need to click "View more Options" to get there.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ofecks posted:

There's a reg hack to always use the old-school context menu. On an admin command prompt, paste:

reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" /f /ve

and reboot (or kill & restart explorer).

If I still used windows I'd definitely do that because the new context menu sucks poop from a butt. Thankfully I don't have to & can escape all the other suck-poo poo parts of 11 that don't have hacks to avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Klyith posted:

There's a reg hack to always use the old-school context menu. On an admin command prompt, paste:

reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" /f /ve

and reboot (or kill & restart explorer).

If I still used windows I'd definitely do that because the new context menu sucks poop from a butt. Thankfully I don't have to & can escape all the other suck-poo poo parts of 11 that don't have hacks to avoid.

quoting this so I don't have to suffer through google search when I upgrade to 11