Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Actually, on that subject: is there anything in the ToS stopping me from selling a dead FC that has an attached medium property? I’ve just got no desire to lead/rebuild it, but I’m also getting lonely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

leaptosleep posted:

That reminds me of the funniest thing I've ever witnessed in this game. There was some FC drama going down in Limsa in /say and /shout chat for some reason and meanwhile a hrothgar bard was parked next to them playing the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme on a loop. It doesn't sound as funny when I describe it but I was cackling at the time.

lmao

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Actually, on that subject: is there anything in the ToS stopping me from selling a dead FC that has an attached medium property? I’ve just got no desire to lead/rebuild it, but I’m also getting lonely.

If you're selling your FC for gil there's no issue. I think a new member has to wait like 30 days before you can assign them the owner role, though, so make sure that's clear to whoever you're selling to.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Finally got my fluffy bird friend! :kimchi:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

susan b buffering posted:

i don't think this is true. reverse-engineering a game that doesn't officially support mods is interesting in a way that officially sanctioned mods aren't. it has nothing to do with moral character.

I am of extremely poor moral character actually!!!!

Some of the people who have contributed the most to Dalamud and its ecosystem are basically completely unknown if you aren't also a dev or spend a lot of time reading the dev channels in the goat place discord, so the clout chasing angle is amusing. I know I genuinely don't care myself.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I like that the devs are against mods. I remember what kind of UI nightmare modded WoW was.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i don't really know if they're "against" them so much as they realize that they can't really endorse them since huge portions of the playerbase are on platforms which can't use them

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i gotta imagine yoship's PC gamer pedigree at least makes him mod-agnostic

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

yoship is keeping all the big titty mods for himself

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
he killed the cat asses while modding them in for dev machines. what a freak.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

It's been a long standing "Don't ask, don't tell" policy to mods. The dev team obviously knows they exist and don't care as long as it's not like the UAV bullshit from the TOP race.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Countblanc posted:

i don't really know if they're "against" them so much as they realize that they can't really endorse them since huge portions of the playerbase are on platforms which can't use them

Countblanc posted:

i gotta imagine yoship's PC gamer pedigree at least makes him mod-agnostic

I dunno, given the responses we got over the mod shenanigans from a few world first races, TOP in particular*, I think it's pretty fair to say they're firmly against it.

*From YoshiP, regarding mod usage in TOP:

quote:

However, if the presumption is that this content will be tackled and cleared with the use of third-party tools, then any reason to develop high-difficulty battle content seems to be lost. It’s very difficult for me to understand as a gamer what the meaning behind using numerous third-party tools to compete to clear first would be.

[...]

If the illicit use of third-party tools is made clear through our investigations, I, at the very least, will not recognize that team as the true World First.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Restricting the use of mods in the ToS but not actively trying to root them out is a best-of-both-worlds sort of compromise. It helps to tone down the toxic elements of instrumental play without frustrating the more passionate/serious players with lacking QoL/extension features. Honestly it's why new players can easily get in to FF14, it isn't a wasteland of metrification where randoms can authoritatively comment on your "objective" performance in group play.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

There's a whole video about how addons have affected the design of WoW's boss content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKP1I7IocYU

It's over an hour long, but the gist is, since all the top tier players are using addons to trivialize content, the devs had to design fights with the assumption that those addons will be used, making them nearly impossible without them, to the point where players will get kicked out of groups, or refused entry, for not have the "correct" addons, even in relatively "casual" content. There's even addons that are designed specifically to warn you if someone in your party isn't using them.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Am I out of my mind or is the snapshot on Asura's Six-bladed Khadga ridiculously early? Seems like half the time I die to it I'm so far inside the safe zone I'm on the other side of her hitbox.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Yeah I'd much rather have the don't ask don't tell mods policy rather than WoW's you better have these specific mods or you can't play the game with us mindset.

Also I have interacted with several plugin developers to give them bug reports and whatnot and they've always been nice so I'm not sure where the idea that they must be jerks is coming from??? The gshade guy was a weird exception to the rule.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Funky Valentine posted:

Who is the Arthmoor of FF14 modding.

MidoriKami when they aren’t busy ragequitting the mod discord.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cabbit posted:

Am I out of my mind or is the snapshot on Asura's Six-bladed Khadga ridiculously early? Seems like half the time I die to it I'm so far inside the safe zone I'm on the other side of her hitbox.
Not just you, it's absurdly fast. Unlike eg. Halone, you have near zero time to move (maybe it's different if you're playing while directly connected to the servers?) so the only consistent way to beat it for me is to start directly behind her and one step to the left / right of the 2nd (L/R) swipe, then take the step to the other side the moment the attack animations display. If I wait even the tiniest fraction of a second before taking the step to the other side, I'm getting hit.

It's pretty dumb for how much damage you take in that sequence, IMO.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

It's me I modded for cosmetics and better male hairstyles :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Alder posted:

It's me I modded for cosmetics and better male hairstyles :v:

a friend of mine installed mods purely to get stubble on his catboy

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

in one of the previous threads someone posted a picture of their catboy modded to have nipples and a happy trail and i have still not recovered

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Rosalind posted:

Also I have interacted with several plugin developers to give them bug reports and whatnot and they've always been nice so I'm not sure where the idea that they must be jerks is coming from??? The gshade guy was a weird exception to the rule.

My FC discord has a few members of and is adjacent to a community of delightful girlfriends who just want their rabbits and lizards to have cute outfits on a slightly different thicker lady body. The FF14 Dark Web Modders theory is pretty silly.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

World War Mammories posted:

in one of the previous threads someone posted a picture of their catboy modded to have nipples and a happy trail and i have still not recovered

gently caress yes

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Doomykins posted:

My FC discord has a few members of and is adjacent to a community of delightful girlfriends who just want their rabbits and lizards to have cute outfits on a slightly different thicker lady body. The FF14 Dark Web Modders theory is pretty silly.

I know someone who was really sad that none of the ingame hair colors matched her irl one and she was so happy to figure out how to mod that in :3:

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I just like the add on that makes it so my action bars work like the PVP bars. I wish there was an official settings option to make it always work like that

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They are never going to do that. The buttons are separate on purpose.

leaptosleep
Jun 13, 2023

Tensokuu posted:

I just like the add on that makes it so my action bars work like the PVP bars. I wish there was an official settings option to make it always work like that

It would definitely make things a lot easier for console/controller players

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I also feel like people ignore the benefits such a system has for people with disabilities when discussion comes up about PvP style button condensing. There's a ton of people out there that have issues playing XIV fully due to the hotbar clutter and execution demand whether it's because of physical limitations like limited hand mobility or other limitations. I see a lot of people get real loving weird about condensing buttons and automating combos and stuff. My mindset is that it's never a bad thing to add accessibility that will help people play the game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I also feel like people ignore the benefits such a system has for people with disabilities when discussion comes up about PvP style button condensing. There's a ton of people out there that have issues playing XIV fully due to the hotbar clutter and execution demand whether it's because of physical limitations like limited hand mobility or other limitations. I see a lot of people get real loving weird about condensing buttons and automating combos and stuff. My mindset is that it's never a bad thing to add accessibility that will help people play the game.

Well the people who actually make the game disagree and have stated so everytime it gets fielded to them. Kind of a closed issue.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

"The game devs said it's wrong therefor there's no merits to this discussion" is a really piss poor argument.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I mean that's fine, but that's also why the community modded the game to assist.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

"The game devs said it's wrong therefor there's no merits to this discussion" is a really piss poor argument.

"why don't they add it" is a solved issue. I don't think its a productive discussion when it's been laid why they will never do it, multiple times.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Splitting sequences of abilities that should only be one button into three is a deliberate design choice to make rotations harder to execute. I personally think that this is a really boring way to do that, because it’s very obviously just busywork, but I think the overall idea of having to manage a bunch of buttons in high-stakes situations is a good one.

That said, accessibility really is important, so condensing the basic combo down into one button and replacing the empty slots with oGCDs or conditional abilities might be a good compromise. The basic combo is a lot of your damage, so if all you can do is mash that, you’re going to do okay-ish in casual content, and then from there you can work up to the optimal play of hitting every button on your hotbar.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Tensokuu posted:

not this again

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

it's ok to miss your combo

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

maybe im twisted but i think my fingers would hurt if i was playing paladin or warrior and i was just mashing the same 2 buttons or so over and over.

hitting like 5 fell cleves in a row is already bad feeling.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ItohRespectArmy posted:

hitting like 5 fell cleves in a row is already bad feeling.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I get you're talking physical pain I just love posting question marks guy

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

its worth it to see the big damage number tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Honestly, I think accessibility is a fake argument in this context. I've never met someone who actually has this accessibility requirement that's aided by this, only people who assert that they must exist and that this would help them. And I actually don't believe them.

If you have a disability so constraining that a three-button combo is a struggle, I don't think compressing that combo actually helps. Because as you might've all noticed, your average job in this game has a lot more than three buttons. And usually, using those well has a much more complex requirement than 'hit them in order'. If 'accessibility for people with motor function issues' is the fight you want to fight, I don't think combo compression is a remotely meaningful solution. It solves the most minor problem that sort of person faces, for only a portion of the playable jobs, while not solving any other problem at play.

Sure, this solves this hypothetical person being unable to perform the 1-2-3 combo on... let's say Machinist. But does this actually solve their problems with Machinist? If you're teaming up with this person in duty roulette, is your response going to be 'good on them, able to do their 1-2-3 combo', or are you going to be annoyed that they still can't weave their Gauss Shots, properly utilize the Wildfire window, and line up a Reassemble-Drill?

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 18, 2024