Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013

Coaaab posted:

I liked the contrast with the emotional ED that's the culmination of how beating this video game boss is the most important thing in the world and then the very silly mini afterwards that sort of undercuts that by taking a step back and observing the irl priorities of someone else

The contrast doesn't undercut anything. Both can coexist, and that's what makes this show beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm hoping that they at least got some sweet unique loot out of this on top of the buckets of xp.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The devs did not expect anyone to actually beat the unique bosses, and forgot to implement a drop table for them.

The protagonists get banned for glitch abuse.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Tunicate posted:

The devs did not expect anyone to actually beat the unique bosses, and forgot to implement a drop table for them.

The protagonists get banned for glitch abuse.

Didn’t this happen in EverQuest with an boss that was supposed to be unkillable until a server event happened

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

taiyoko posted:

I'm hoping that they at least got some sweet unique loot out of this on top of the buckets of xp.

I don’t think Pencilgon will benefit from any EXP she was already max level I recall.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Meme Emulator posted:

Didn’t this happen in EverQuest with an boss that was supposed to be unkillable until a server event happened

Unbeatable Bosses for a time have been in many MMOs.

I recall C’thun in WoW was one.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

MonsterEnvy posted:

Unbeatable Bosses for a time have been in many MMOs.

I recall C’thun in WoW was one.

Yes but he was supposed to be killable and was just tuned too high. I never played EverQuest but I believe there was a Sleeper and he should have been unkillable until he awoke when some other world boss was killed. Some people managed to beat it in its unbeatable state though

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

devs getting mad that their special mary sue boss got killed by players was absolutely a thing that happened in old MMOs

i wouldnt be surprised if it happened here too, SLF seems like that kind of game

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

sharkmafia posted:

devs getting mad that their special mary sue boss got killed by players was absolutely a thing that happened in old MMOs

i wouldnt be surprised if it happened here too, SLF seems like that kind of game

Oh definitely. Absolutely Virtue is an example from FFXI.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Meme Emulator posted:

Yeah, Kerafyrm The Sleeper. Someone figured out how to fight it and the top 3 guilds assembled over 180 players to make the attempt, and after 3 hours and 15 minutes they got it down to 26% health but the devs despawned it to prevent them from winning the fight. They later apologised for doing that and the guilds re-attempted the fight and managed to kill the dragon for the first time ever.
https://annex.fandom.com/wiki/Kerafyrm

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah he sounds a lot like a Shangri Lab Unique (Minus that they sound like they are ultimately supposed to be beatable.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
City of Heroes had Hamidon, which the devs were okay with players beating, but iirc (it's been nearly 20 years) they kept getting mad when they used the 'wrong' strategy and would patch the fight so it wouldn't work. The intended strategy ended up being dumb as hell.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Awww... They're making him chocolate for Valentine's Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shorts?fIg7xBEFW_E

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Yon posted:

City of Heroes had Hamidon, which the devs were okay with players beating, but iirc (it's been nearly 20 years) they kept getting mad when they used the 'wrong' strategy and would patch the fight so it wouldn't work. The intended strategy ended up being dumb as hell.

City of Heroes status effects work on a hybrid magnitude/duration system in PvE content. Every status power that lands on you, like being immobilized by a web grenade or stunned by a flashbang, has a magnitude like 2 or 3 and lasts for a certain amount of time. Resistance to status effects comes in forms that will either reduce its duration or resist a certain magnitude of the effect, and for most forms of protection it's a bit of both. Normal enemies have a small resist magnitude - minions usually have 1, lieutenants 2 and bosses 3 - and a hero power that's intended to apply a status will usually apply magnitude 3, meaning it won't work on a boss unless you hit twice and overlap the durations.

Where does Hamidon come into this? Well, he's a giant cell whose organelles all blast the players individually, in addition to a big corker blast from the nucleus that you need to farm drops from the zone monsters to survive. He starts with 6 yellow blasters, 6 blue power drainers, and 6 green healers, and they have their own quirks for dealing with them. But as originally intended, when he hit his 25% health breakpoints he would spawn one blaster organelle on top of everyone currently inside the cell protoplasm, which in a full zone of 50 heroes means more concentrated pain than anybody can stand. You're allegedly supposed to either spread out when he gets low or have everybody but the most damagest pull out entirely until the yellow hit.

I say allegedly, because Hamidon wasn't technically immune to status effects, he just had a very, very high resist magnitude. But surely the entire raid wouldn't show up with hold powers and all just focus them on the nucleus until they stacked up high enough, making him unable to use any power including the yellow summon.

Of the two ways to herd cats that one proved a lot easier in practice.

They did eventually change the fight, but not so that Hamidon couldn't be held. It's still a good idea to shut down that death beam of his. The summon will always happen now, regardless, though instead of a ruinous amount of blaster yellows it just puts him back to his original loadout of 6, 6, and 6 and scatters everybody out of the cell so they have to fight their way in again.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
Wasn't there at least one or two strats prior to hold power spam that succeeded and were patched to not work, back in the "No, really, how DO we kill this thing?" era?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Finally watched the episode.

SLF loving rules

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Just like every raid I've ever been in, someone in the group just has to make jokes while the ending cutscene plays.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Well well well

If it isn't the consequences of Orcelott's actions

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Nemo2342 posted:

Just like every raid I've ever been in, someone in the group just has to make jokes while the ending cutscene plays.

If you aren’t cracking jokes about your friend getting emotional during a cutscene, are you really friends?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Nemo2342 posted:

After thirty minutes of the most intense battle Sunrakus ever been in, Thrall comes in and delivers the killing blow during the cutscene

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Looking forward to the most important part of the raid:

PHAT LEWTS :dogcited:

Now if this was an Ubisoft game, it'd be a slightly better weapon that you can buy a dozen different skins for at $20 a pop. :ubisoft:

And WB would charge $40. :shibe:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Doodles posted:

PHAT LEWTS

Did they even show the loot or explain it at all? I was waiting all episode. This was a fun one but seriously, this show's ability to not get to the loving point is unparalleled, lol

Like everyone, I've seen more than my share of anime padding but this poo poo is next level. We are literally like 7 episodes into this fight including prep and the final death, and we don't even KNOW THE LOOT

I'm giving this show a pass because I really do think it's wonderful but if this show gripped me even 10% less I would seriously consider dropping it. Then Emul says SUNRAKU SAN SUKRAKU SAN! and it's like... poo poo. I'm in.

I'll keep watching and will read the manga after. I just wish that the episodes were longer or something to account for how long doing literally everything takes and how much is just stop motion dialog over looped animations or just a mostly static drawing. I'm curious if you guys agree because sometimes I am mesmerized by how actions and narrative threads that would take 10 minutes in many animes take like 3 episodes in this one.

e: and for the record, the way everyone is studiously ignoring the loving loot of the first unique monster ever killed in the game, is so unrealistic it makes me want to drop the show lol. This show is supposedly about MMO behavior and expectations. The actual nanosecond that loot dropped, it's all anyone would be thinking about, period, in a real game. Ow, my immersion :( hopefully there just wasn't loot, or something, because that's the only way any of this makes sense.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 18, 2024

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Taima posted:

Did they even show the loot or explain it at all? I was waiting all episode. This was a fun one but seriously, this show's ability to not get to the loving point is unparalleled, lol

Like everyone, I've seen more than my share of anime padding but this poo poo is next level. We are literally like 7 episodes into this fight including prep and the final death, and we don't even KNOW THE LOOT

I'm giving this show a pass because I really do think it's wonderful but if this show gripped me even 10% less I would seriously consider dropping it. Then Emul says SUNRAKU SAN SUKRAKU SAN! and it's like... poo poo. I'm in.

I'll keep watching and will read the manga after. I just wish that the episodes were longer or something to account for how long doing literally everything takes and how much is just stop motion dialog over looped animations or just a mostly static drawing. I'm curious if you guys agree because sometimes I am mesmerized by how actions and narrative threads that would take 10 minutes in many animes take like 3 episodes in this one.

I don't understand why this shiw does this to people. It's meticulously gone over every other aspect of the game. It's clearly just more interested in the character bits and fallout that's more immediately pressing than going over loot at this second.

You're complaining about padding and asking for it to stuff in more stuff where it doesn't need to go.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Taima posted:

Uh, get used to this, while we'll learn key pieces of information along with the characters, we'll also have times where the characters know something, but it is revealed in the story after the fact i.e. the changes to Endure with Sunraku's self-inflicted damage

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Ah ok, that's good to know. Just curious- are you implying that the loot for this boss won't be addressed anytime soon?

If so, that's ok. I can recalibrate my expectations. I just thought an important aspect of the show was its authenticity re: MMO behaviors and tropes.

If the loot doesn't matter then the loot doesn't matter. I am along for the ride and despite my gripes, will finish out and will read the manga as long as yall think the manga is good.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I don't understand why this shiw does this to people. It's meticulously gone over every other aspect of the game. It's clearly just more interested in the character bits and fallout that's more immediately pressing than going over loot at this second.

You're complaining about padding and asking for it to stuff in more stuff where it doesn't need to go.

I'm not sure how to respond to this as you're just kind of saying I shouldn't/can't have an opinion, but thank you for responding, cheers.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Taima posted:

I'm not sure how to respond to this as you're just kind of saying I shouldn't/can't have an opinion, but thank you for responding, cheers.

I just think it's silly to complain about the show being 'padded' and showing every detail of something then immediately assume it was never going to show a detail of the fight because they've staggered talking about it to get to other more pressing parts.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

theyve been dragging the show out the entire boss battle why stop now

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

doomisland posted:

theyve been dragging the show out the entire boss battle why stop now

I mean I disagree since the fight both looked awesome and felt well paced and It was long as hell in the anime too.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
An anime that is fun because of cool fights having an awesome multi episode boss fight is good, actually

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I mean, the production clearly decided to go for a quality over quantity approach to the main runtime, filling the dead air with all the minis. But they've paced it pretty well around that limitation. I didn't care that the fight took four episodes because each episode was really loving cool in its own right.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The loot will be addressed coming up

and it is indeed PHAT

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Stretching things with the minis is probably the least bad way to have the natural stopping point fit two cours neatly.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 18, 2024

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The minis are good and funny

Are they based on anything like volume extras or are they all anime original?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
A couple are based on some volume extras (like the "interview" with Pencilgon) but I think the majority are original.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

claw game handjob posted:

A couple are based on some volume extras (like the "interview" with Pencilgon) but I think the majority are original.

The one where he picks up a poo poo game is also partially based on another as well except he actually DOES have to fight a horde of other Kusoge Hunters. The best ones are still the one about the idol who's friends with Pencilgon and the origin story of the Professor.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Loot chat:

We're currently like 95% through chapter 45, which ends volume 5. The loot gets revealed in chapter 47, so we've possibly got 1 more episode to wait depending on how they want to organize things.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Reading some of the comments and reviews in other sites especially ANN make me laugh my rear end off with all of theorizing about the game being some kind of real actual world when it's in all likelihood the chuuni adult woman child CEO's fanfic turned into a game.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

it would be very MMO style that they're going for to have the reward simply be the announcement and a user title by their name

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

bean mom posted:

it would be very MMO style that they're going for to have the reward simply be the announcement and a user title by their name

Pencilgon would be totally fine with this, Katzo would be annoyed but okay, Sunraku would absolutely lose his poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Pencilgon would be totally fine with this, Katzo would be annoyed but okay, Sunraku would absolutely lose his poo poo.

*pats my death's demise title*

honestly im glad the loot is teased. a good hook for the next ep