Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Me at brunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Ulf posted:

No, it’s from zooming on the current US flag with its alternating 6/5 rows of stars.

If you’d make the sneakers during the 48-star period from 1912-1957 for example you’d have a square pattern I bet.

Sorry for the boring answer.

Unrelated but I found a 48 star flag while cleaning out my recently-departed grandmother-in-law's house and now I have to figure out the best way to display it without tearing it up

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Soylent Yellow posted:

Quote is not edit.

agree to disagree

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Unrelated but I found a 48 star flag while cleaning out my recently-departed grandmother-in-law's house and now I have to figure out the best way to display it without tearing it up

Talk to museums or historical societies, they'll give you advice and a place to start for free, they love that poo poo

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Someone is going to be proudly wearing those stupid ugly shoes at my job tomorrow. I guarantee it.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Tomorrow? That's some fast shipping.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Zwabu posted:

I wonder how long before the gold stuff flakes off and fades from those ridiculous gaudy sneakers.

they are absolutely going to turn out to be fugazi trash bricks made out of tire rubber and prayers and will go from deadstock to trash in a single showcase wearing but it can still work because it isn't really targeting sneakerheads, its targeting celeb fomo sneakerhead-adjacents that idolize the wettest president

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

BiggerBoat posted:

Someone is going to be proudly wearing those stupid ugly shoes at my job tomorrow. I guarantee it.

Here's the best part, its just a preorder.
None have been made past that one pair.
Bets on them actually shipping is another thing.

Just like all those 'Win a Dinner with Donald' that no one has ever won.

e: looks like that golden pair he had were put up for auction and some Russian guy got them for $9k.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 19, 2024

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It’s like that Ultra Right Beer that some brewery was trying to sell. It was like $35 for a 6er of some lovely lager. They took a bunch of preorders and never actually shipped any or something like that. A bunch of chuds got grifted out of their money because they hated Bud Light. You love to see it.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It’s like that Ultra Right Beer that some brewery was trying to sell. It was like $35 for a 6er of some lovely lager. They took a bunch of preorders and never actually shipped any or something like that. A bunch of chuds got grifted out of their money because they hated Bud Light. You love to see it.

Remember the guy that sold Ron Paul merchandise and did the Kickstarter for the game? He never even delivered the physical rewards.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

They shipped them. However they did such a god awful packing job that they constantly busted open during shipping. Most likely what happened is that the lovely beers got damaged out and the company never shipped a replacement order.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Let's not forget all the "Fund the Wall!" grifts

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How DO those grifts get away with the money? Just that the people grifted are too lazy to actually sue?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Randalor posted:

How DO those grifts get away with the money? Just that the people grifted are too lazy to actually sue?

Doesn’t it all disappear into overheads and then 0.1% gets forwarded to something tangentially related to the purported purpose?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Randalor posted:

They don't. The only reason Bannon's not in prison right now is because some maniac pardoned him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Randalor posted:

Most of the people getting scammed are losing less than the cost to hire a lawyer and fund a civil case.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Easiest would just to have the website set up overseas in some country that doesn't give a drat under a random name, and only accept bitcoin.

Although I don't know that MAGA folk know how to use bitcoin.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I would assume there's also a certain amount of "Trump is too lazy to go after people who scam him, so if they offer him $10k out of $10m, he just deposits the check and forgets about it."

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Rand Brittain posted:

I would assume there's also a certain amount of "Trump is too lazy to go after people who scam him, so if they offer him $10k out of $10m, he just deposits the check and forgets about it."

I doubt trump knows about any of the scams happening in his name. He's oblivious to a hell of a lot. Other than the bannon one obviously, and the money was meant to be going to the wall not him, so you know, probably just respected him for trying to do a good scam.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IIRC some of the wall scams built a few tens of metres of useless barrier somewhere disconnected from everywhere else, so they could claim they fulfilled.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Staluigi posted:

they are absolutely going to turn out to be fugazi trash bricks made out of tire rubber and prayers and will go from deadstock to trash in a single showcase wearing but it can still work because it isn't really targeting sneakerheads, its targeting celeb fomo sneakerhead-adjacents that idolize the wettest president

I feel bad for the sneakerheads, all the ones I've seen since these abominations were revealed haven't even had anything left in them to be mad, they're just all super depressed that the thing they like is being sullied with the existence of such an atrocity

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

The Lone Badger posted:

IIRC some of the wall scams built a few tens of metres of useless barrier somewhere disconnected from everywhere else, so they could claim they fulfilled.

Yeah, if I remember, the whole thing about the build a wall thing falling apart was that they repeatedly stated over and over that all the money was going to the wall and that they wouldn't see a dime of the cash. Then they cashed in, which landed them in hot water. Presumably if you don't make those guarantees and state up front how the money will be used, then you're golden if people still donate to you.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ms Adequate posted:

I feel bad for the sneakerheads, all the ones I've seen since these abominations were revealed haven't even had anything left in them to be mad, they're just all super depressed that the thing they like is being sullied with the existence of such an atrocity

The thing they like is stupid, so that's good

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

dr_rat posted:

Easiest would just to have the website set up overseas in some country that doesn't give a drat under a random name, and only accept bitcoin.

Although I don't know that MAGA folk know how to use bitcoin.

If all else fails plenty of people by now have learned how to buy apple store gift cards at target

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Quote is not edit, phones are difficult

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lord Stimperor posted:

If all else fails plenty of people by now have learned how to buy apple store gift cards at target

And also apparently they are for some reason many company and governments preferred methods of exchanging money.

No a government tax department will never want you to pay a "suddenly discovered unpaid tax debt" in Apple store gift cards. Why the hell would that ever be a thing!!!!

I wonder if Apple has internal numbers of what percentage of those cards are most likely just being used for crime.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

dr_rat posted:

I wonder if Apple has internal numbers of what percentage of those cards are most likely just being used for crime.

All of them?

I mean, what other benefit do they have over the same amount in currency?

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

The Lone Badger posted:

All of them?

I mean, what other benefit do they have over the same amount in currency?

Unlike currency, you can pre-steal them! https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/what-is-the-card-draining-scam-police-warn-holiday-shoppers-purchasing-gift-cards

Never buy gift cards.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah, I've never really gotten the concept of gift cards. I have received them occasionally as presents, so for some reasons people do actually buy them for that it seems?

But seriously always just give cash. It's like a gift card but far more useful. What the hell?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Say you're about to buy a computer from the apple store. Go to kroger, buy gift cards in the amount of the computer on a 4x fuel points day, using a credit card that gives you 2% back on groceries, take those cards to the apple store, and buy the computer with them. Now you have the computer for 2% cheaper and enough fuel points to fill up your tank for $10 for the rest of the month.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, I've never really gotten the concept of gift cards. I have received them occasionally as presents, so for some reasons people do actually buy them for that it seems?

But seriously always just give cash. It's like a gift card but far more useful. What the hell?

It is a nice in-between of picking an actual present but not the details. Like, a restaurant gift card lets you gift someone a meal in a nice place but they can pick what they eat. Or a movie gift card is a nice evening in a movie theatre and they get to pick which one and when.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 19, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Valiantman posted:

It is a nice in-between of picking an actual present but not the details. Like, a restaurant gift card lets you gift someone a meal in a nice place but they can pick what they eat. Or a movie gift card is a nice evening in a movie theatre and they get to pick which one and when.

They could do that if you just gave them money!!!

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
But you couldn't force them to do it. That's the fun.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I have given a wrapped game disc as a present with a little gift card attached for getting the DLC because there's no GOTY edition of Breath of the Wild for some reason.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jesus III posted:

But you couldn't force them to do it. That's the fun.

Oh so gift cards are just a kink thing? That makes sense.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Back when I did customer support for Apple, I had a call from one person who preferred to use those prepaid Visa gift cards to make purchases in the app store, but did this often enough that they stopped being able to add new credit card numbers to their account.

That was pretty much the perfect scenario for gift cards, and I told them as much.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

There are also people who can't have money, at least not wired to them. Think for instance people on benefits, where a deposit into their account might get them in trouble.

And you can sort of launder them. E
At years end, my employer lets us shop in a gift store. It's mostly rubbish, or gift cards. If I can't use the gift card I sell it for about 90% value.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
There also used to be machines that would exchange gift cards for cash. I have no idea how that was legal (and these machines were in supermarkets, even) seeing as how I saw these circa 2020, long after concerns about money laundering via gift cards had been raised.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Angry_Ed posted:

There also used to be machines that would exchange gift cards for cash. I have no idea how that was legal (and these machines were in supermarkets, even) seeing as how I saw these circa 2020, long after concerns about money laundering via gift cards had been raised.

There have been several entire industries of automatic pawn shop machines in supermarkets that make very low level crime easier. Like those, the cellphone "recycling" stations, the coinstar(rare coin collections), cash for gold, etc. I'm surprised we haven't seen something as brazen as a machine that takes copper wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

That machine that took smart phones was completely insane

No questions asked.