Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The cover for 108 should just be Kuma rage punching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I no longer believe in a “real” redemption for Kizaru, just a deathbed “I wish I lived more honestly to my feelings” kind of thing

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Yeah if Kizaru doesn't sacrifice himself the most actual redemption I think we're gonna get is self-exile.

What I think is actually likely is Kizaru voicing some amount of hesitation in a future scene with Akainu, and Akainu killing him.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Justin_Brett posted:

I like that thematically Augur goading Saturn like that and looking at him like he's no big deal is kind of like his shooting the flag moment, since he is (probably) Usopp's opponent.

Similar logic as the Strawhats. Can't let one old guy get in the way of conquering the world if you truly mean it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Scholtz posted:

Yeah if Kizaru doesn't sacrifice himself the most actual redemption I think we're gonna get is self-exile.

What I think is actually likely is Kizaru voicing some amount of hesitation in a future scene with Akainu, and Akainu killing him.

Unless Kizaru has Even More Tragic Backstory to pull out of his coat pocket (which... fair, this is One Piece) this situation is pretty much the highest his personal stakes could possibly go. He's tasked with murdering his old friend and a 12 year old girl he personally knows. If he's not dipping for this one, what else would make him hesitate.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Scholtz posted:

Sub Akainu out with Imu or the other Elders and yeah, this is where I'm falling as well. Maybe it isn't straight up murder, but he's due for some comeuppance not from the heroes but from the bosses he's about to disappoint.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Eiba posted:

While I get the joke, I'm pretty tired of the fraud narrative.

I get that being incredibly negative about Mihawk was novel and fun at one point, but constant over the top negativity about characters is not a joke that gets better with time. To me at least.

But people seem to be enjoying themselves, so I'll leave it at that.

Same.

I blame JJK more than anything though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Unless Kizaru has Even More Tragic Backstory to pull out of his coat pocket (which... fair, this is One Piece) this situation is pretty much the highest his personal stakes could possibly go. He's tasked with murdering his old friend and a 12 year old girl he personally knows. If he's not dipping for this one, what else would make him hesitate.

Robin is his long-lost little sister.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think the fraudposting is harmless fun except for when someone is clearly getting way too into it. It helps that OP characters in-universe are notoriously petty about being stronger than each other so really it’s just the audience playing along.
I’m late to the party tho so maybe I’ll get sick of the joke too eventually

Augus fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 19, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

part of me wants Shanks to be killed by Mihawk just because the affect it’d have on the community would be incredible

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Love fraudposting personally

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

kizaru is going to join the crew and fight aokiji in the blackbeard showdown

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
do people fraudpost about say, jjba, because that would be really funny

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

lih posted:

do people fraudpost about say, jjba, because that would be really funny

Probably not to the same degree because the ability to scale characters against each other is basically entirely contextual to individual matchups and situations with how stands work. It doesnt stop some from trying though

The flat truth about powerscale shitposting in One Piece is, at its core, compared to a lot of other battle shonen manga, the ability to "scale" characters against each other in this series is surprisingly consistent. "Serious" powerscaling exists to try and explain away the inconsistencies and look at the story's portrayals of strength and try and make sense of it all. Powerscaling in general is such an unserious subject, people will naturally just try and have fun with it, and they eventually will want to defend or justify the things they enjoy doing.

Oda himself is arguably the biggest powerscaler out there. If he didnt portray characters strength the way he does, powerscaling would be more niche.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Augus posted:

part of me wants Shanks to be killed by Mihawk just because the affect it’d have on the community would be incredible

Only if it goes down the same way a certain fight in JJK did that caused everyone to go insane.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Also i blame jjk for making the fruadposting style popular and borderline annoying

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I blame bad posters

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Augus posted:

It seems pretty inevitable to me that the guy who keeps warning everyone that Blackbeard is dangerous and that he can't defeat Blackbeard alone is going to get killed by Blackbeard

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Blackbeard is going to kill shanks offscreen

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

No. I think Buggy will kill Shanks (serious)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

hatty posted:

Blackbeard is going to kill shanks offscreen

No.

Stop that.

No.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

No.

Stop that.

No.

Blackbeard is going to kill shanks onscreen

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mabels big day posted:

Probably not to the same degree because the ability to scale characters against each other is basically entirely contextual to individual matchups and situations with how stands work. It doesnt stop some from trying though

Also most of the “top-tier” abilities in JJBA are ones that alter space and time so doing a hypothetical match-up between Dio and Diavolo is less a debate about who is stronger and more a debate on the quantum physics of someone freezing time at the same time that someone else skips time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Augus posted:

Also most of the “top-tier” abilities in JJBA are ones that alter space and time so doing a hypothetical match-up between Dio and Diavolo is less a debate about who is stronger and more a debate on the quantum physics of someone freezing time at the same time that someone else skips time.

Diavolo should have the advantage in that encounter cause of his precognition.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

We just had a whole thing about king crimson in the JJK thread I don’t need it again here

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jojo doesn't take creating a sense of scale seriously in any way, the series is a straight up staircase where most battles play out the same (and that's fine, the silly over-explained twist is usually fun). What a fools errand to even try.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

JahRoo posted:

We just had a whole thing about king crimson in the JJK thread I don’t need it again here

What if they bring Foxy back and his awakened fruit power is just King Crimson though

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

mabels big day posted:

The flat truth about powerscale shitposting in One Piece is, at its core, compared to a lot of other battle shonen manga, the ability to "scale" characters against each other in this series is surprisingly consistent. "Serious" powerscaling exists to try and explain away the inconsistencies and look at the story's portrayals of strength and try and make sense of it all. Powerscaling in general is such an unserious subject, people will naturally just try and have fun with it, and they eventually will want to defend or justify the things they enjoy doing.

Oda himself is arguably the biggest powerscaler out there. If he didnt portray characters strength the way he does, powerscaling would be more niche.

Powerscaling in One Piece is not only surprisingly consistent (with a few exceptions, mostly involving Marineford), it's also surprisingly steep. This is most obvious with Pacifistas; the Straw Hats' training over the time skip reduces each Pacifista from a difficult fight for the entire crew to a trivial opponent for Sanji. It's not Dragon Ball-level or anything like that, but it's steeper than Naruto was for most of its run, like alone something like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
sanji is a creeper and doesn't even lift weights

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Shonen usually likes to introduce maybe a handful of guys early on that will be the final fights and stay in the shadows for the first half of the whole thing, the peak of the power level if you will, but OP has like a dozen guys working for different factions that are still in the consideration for strongest guy and are active. Mihawk has no feats and was introduced like six months into the story, but fraudposting aside he's believably one of the strongest people in the planet. Its been 25 years of watching this crew make the climb to those powerlevels. 25 years of simmering how loving strong that guy over there that did a thing 16 years ago is very unique; like Jojos reset the power levels to a degree each time it's a new part.

Anyway all that to say it's funny that the guy who spawncamped our crew pre-timeskip is sweating because Base Sanji can low-diff execute a timed parry on his light show.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Thankfully the JJBA weirdo meter keeps rising regardless of arc resets

Currently have a stand whose ability is 'scenery'

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Infinitum posted:

Thankfully the JJBA weirdo meter keeps rising regardless of arc resets

Currently have a stand whose ability is 'scenery'

I really gotta make the time to re-read part 8 (i stopped reading monthly a while after Milagro Man [the ""fight"" where the lovely sibling kept getting infinite money]) and go straight into 9

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Fraudposting is fun and cool

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Freudposting in the One Piece Thread

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
The JoJo bro lays out his whole approach in his book: Manga in Theory and Practice: The Craft of Creating Manga https://a.co/d/9eIX75c

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

One Piece powerscaling is literally just engaging with in-universe politics.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

One Piece powerscaling irritates me to no end, so I try to just ignore it.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Voxx posted:

sanji is a creeper and doesn't even lift weights

nothin but leg days

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

sanji rules actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

mabels big day posted:

One Piece powerscaling is literally just engaging with in-universe politics.
Bartolomeo's crew spends 95% of their time arguing about their personal Straw Hat tier lists