Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I no longer believe in a “real” redemption for Kizaru, just a deathbed “I wish I lived more honestly to my feelings” kind of thing

Kizaru (deathbed): I wish... that I had been lazier and even more flaky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Alas, the one character who truly desires nothing more than to sit behind a desk all day is being forced to fight seriously by his boss's boss.

Kizaru doesn't need redemption, he needs a permanent vacation!

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Elite posted:

Kizaru (deathbed): I wish... that I had been lazier and even more flaky.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Kizaru seems like the dude who only works when his boss is looking over his shoulder and even when they are, he's just doing the bare minimum to make it look like he's working hard. I mean, rip in piss after Sanji blocked the light beam but I doubt Kizaru was putting his heart into anything happening here other than the threat of being murdered by the elder spider

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I Want To Believe in kizaru redemption (and I still think he fed Luffy) but fujitora is obviously most likely to go against the world government and ryokugyu is explicitly a huge akainu fan so there's a good chance that kizaru's arc is going to establish that going along to get along is just a good way to get killed

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Begemot posted:

One Piece powerscaling irritates me to no end, so I try to just ignore it.
The actual powerscaling in the story can be very good. The fight with Kaido had as much weight as it did because Big Mom and Kaido were set up as being an order of magnitude stronger than everyone else- completely insurmountable obstacles. That were then surmounted. That felt really great 'cause of powerscaling.

It can definitely lead to tedious discussions (both ironic and sincere), but the way Oda uses it to give structure to the world is cool and good, in my opinion.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Kizaru goes back in time and convinces Vegapunk to make his defensive shield out of lava rather than light, so Akainu can come here instead and Kizaru gets the day off.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tampa Bae posted:

Kizaru seems like the dude who only works when his boss is looking over his shoulder and even when they are, he's just doing the bare minimum to make it look like he's working hard. I mean, rip in piss after Sanji blocked the light beam but I doubt Kizaru was putting his heart into anything happening here other than the threat of being murdered by the elder spider

Nah, Kizaru seems to take his job semi seriously. He's unclear and casual about it, but he does his job.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

bitmap posted:

nothin but leg days

i'm imagining sanji like an inverse burgess and i don't like it

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
or even kuma like a guy with 90% legs and little bitty torso

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Kuzan was the one who acted like a lazy bum as an Admiral, not Kizaru

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Kizaru seems like the guy they promoted to Admiral because he barely got anything done so at least this way the vice Admirals under him can get stuff done unimpeded.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Voxx posted:

or even kuma like a guy with 90% legs and little bitty torso

Moria was the inverse kuma

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kizaru is "uncertain justice". He's not lazy. He was introduced riding in on a cannon ball to kick rear end. This admiral is active and dutiful.

He's just easily confused.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I don't remember him ever appearing before but as a long time Ultraman fan I was very amused to see Red King show up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

There was a fantastic fan-theory about "uncertain justice" being more about him being a dreamless person in a world of dreamers. Whereas you have two hundred people running around all trying to achieve their respective goals, he doesn't have any. Hence him just following orders, despite it not being something he wants. Guy doesn't know what he ultimately wants.

That still seems to mostly track, but it was being seen through the lens that Luffy/Bonney/Vegapunk would inspire him to actually take a side. Which, while cute, seems much less likely now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had skipped like 4000 posts to get to the current pages, so excuse me since I missed something, but what the gently caress is fraudposting

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Invictus posted:

I had skipped like 4000 posts to get to the current pages, so excuse me since I missed something, but what the gently caress is fraudposting

First off, coward

Second, it's a form of the classic powerscaling argument where people pretend that any character in the series that is even mildly inconvenienced is a "fraud" who isn't as powerful as they've been made out to be. The biggest target of this is generally Mihawk, followed by Akainu. It's all facetious here, but I have trouble telling how serious it is elsewhere in the fandom

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
sounds like I didn't miss much then

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's the community making fake drama because it's funny and the dang story is too good to provide that much to argue over.

Cute stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjpFJaJpSVo

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Kild fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 19, 2024

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Captain Invictus posted:

sounds like I wasn't missed

:c00l:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Voxx posted:

sanji is a creeper and doesn't even lift weights

He follows a strict 1960 workout routine. Nothing but calisthenics, cigarettes, and booze. Except he actually has good nutrition on top of it instead of God awful jello dishes and well done meats.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Even weirder than the constant jellos were the aspics. That era had awful food

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It's the community making fake drama because it's funny and the dang story is too good to provide that much to argue over.

Cute stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjpFJaJpSVo

I'm willing to believe it was funny at some point

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Blockhouse posted:

It was. That single video, and nothing else.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The worst foods of the 1960s and the best part of the Egghead Island Arc are the aspics.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

It was. That single video, and nothing else.

The Akainu desk thing is funny too, but just those 2 things.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

i ate the hockey hockey no mi making me a hockey man

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Blockhouse posted:

X

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
fraud stuff is funny ya'll just old and grumpy

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Farg posted:

fraud stuff is funny ya'll just old and grumpy

Yes. But also, it is my right as an old man.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Like anything funny it can get tiring in excess

I will laugh at "get my rear end behind a desk or i'm cooked!!" and fraudhawk specifically forever, though.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

luchadornado posted:

i ate the hockey hockey no mi making me a hockey man

Just like Enel can't harm Luffy, this is Kizaru's weakness fruit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gyges posted:

He follows a strict 1960 workout routine. Nothing but calisthenics, cigarettes, and booze. Except he actually has good nutrition on top of it instead of God awful jello dishes and well done meats.

Ah superintendent zoro, isometric exercise. care to join me?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I don't know much about frauds but this image cracks me up

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
We got some memes out of it. I think rat Shanks is funnier than Fraudhawk, though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

if there's one thing goons love to do it's take a funny joke and run it straight into the ground

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's even an emote for it, which also immediately got run straight into the ground when it was introduced
:regd08:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Captain Invictus posted:

There's even an emote for it, which also immediately got run straight into the ground when it was introduced
:regd08:

its 16 years old lol