Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So what's the total amount and number of people who have had their college debt forgiven during Biden's term?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

zoux posted:

So what's the total amount and number of people who have had their college debt forgiven during Biden's term?

I found this on a site call The19th. I'm not sure if it's a good source, but it got most to the point about things.

https://19thnews.org/2024/02/studen...4138%20billion.

quote:

Although the Supreme Court blocked the administration’s loan forgiveness plan in June that would have canceled up to $20,000 in debt for all borrowers earning under $125,000 annually, the administration has, to date, approved debt relief for 3.9 million people amounting to roughly $138 billion.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

I found this on a site call The19th. I'm not sure if it's a good source, but it got most to the point about things.

https://19thnews.org/2024/02/studen...4138%20billion.

Pretty good.

The 19th is legit, it was started by the former EIC for the Texas Tribune and it's a platform that focuses mostly on how political issues are impacting women . (Hence the name, the 19th Amendment)

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

People who signed up for the new Biden IDR student loan plan (now called the SAVE plan) and had previous federal loans that they converted to the new SAVE plan that would have met the requirements for forgiveness are now having the forgiveness trigger automatically instead of having to wait 10 years as if it were a new loan.

Yeah. Sign up for Save before April and they pull your entire payment history as qualifying payments. Half my job's as a student loan advisor's been telling people to stop dicking around and get on that. It only applies to federal held loans, but you can consolidate your commercial loans into fed loans and apply for save to get the same credit. Looks like they're doing things a bit before the deadline.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

zoux posted:

It says in the article:

quote:

it has now approved loan discharges totaling nearly $138 billion for nearly 3.9 million borrowers through dozens of administrative actions since coming into office.

Currently, it is about 1/3 of the original loan forgiveness plan amount.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

On Fox News last night, Trump listed his VP shortlist:

quote:

VIVEK RAMASWAMY
Sen. TIM SCOTT
Florida Gov. RON DeSANTIS
Rep. BYRON DONALDS
South Dakota Gov. KRISTI NOEM
TULSI GABBARD

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2024/02/21/the-biden-impeachments-latest-big-blow-00142385

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Tulsi loving Gabbard? Wow she really went off the deep end after the 2020 primaries huh? I know she was wrapped up in some eyebrow raising things even back then, but to be even considered as a Trump VP? Your life must have taken a very poor turn.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Meatball Ron getting a VP slot after all those insults getting traded around would be something else.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sorta. the fox lady listed them and he said "yeah sure". i think its some gonna be some weird unknown rando nutjob like mike johnson.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sorta. the fox lady listed them and he said "yeah sure". i think its some gonna be some weird unknown rando nutjob like mike johnson.

He seemed to love Tim Scott last night:

quote:

Trump on Tuesday evening singled out Scott, who was in the audience, for the most praise. Scott, who dropped out of the Republican primary last year and later endorsed Trump, has been aggressively campaigning for Trump in his home state ahead of South Carolina’s Feb. 24 primary.

“A lot of people are talking about that gentleman right over there,” Trump said, gesturing to Scott. “He’s been such a great advocate. I have to say this in a very positive way, Tim Scott, he has been much better for me than he was for himself. I watched his campaign, and he doesn’t like talking about himself. But boy does he talk about Trump. … I called him and I said, ‘Tim, you’re better for me than you were for yourself.’”

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

If I were a betting man I would bet on Ivanka.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

He seemed to love Tim Scott last night:

partly, but i dont think he picks him, i think he likes debasing morons like scott who will debase themselves at a chance at the throne.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dull Fork posted:

Tulsi loving Gabbard? Wow she really went off the deep end after the 2020 primaries huh? I know she was wrapped up in some eyebrow raising things even back then, but to be even considered as a Trump VP? Your life must have taken a very poor turn.

Oh yeah, she went basically full MAGA basically as soon as Trump lost. In 2022, she left the Dems entirely and went independent, proclaiming that the Democratic Party was an "elitist cabal of warmongers driven by cowardly wokeness, who divide us by racializing every issue & stoke anti-white racism, actively work to undermine our God-given freedoms, are hostile to people of faith & spirituality, demonize the police & protect criminals at the expense of law-abiding Americans, believe in open borders, weaponize the national security state to go after political opponents, and above all, dragging us ever closer to nuclear war".

Incidentally, she got a paying job at Fox News just over a month after she said that. Which didn't really shock people, given that she was already a frequent guest on Tucker Carlson's show by that point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If I were a betting man I would bet on Ivanka.

I'd bet it's going to be none of those people on the list.

https://twitter.com/ArthurDelaneyHP/status/1760320272740081741

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Dull Fork posted:

After her campaign fizzled and she left the party, she just fell extra hard into the pro-Russia side of politics and the rest of her politics dropped her closer to the Trumpist side than the "leftist" side. She gets the "former Dem showing how the party has Gone Too Far" cred there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Killer robot posted:

After her campaign fizzled and she left the party, she just fell extra hard into the pro-Russia side of politics and the rest of her politics dropped her closer to the Trumpist side than the "leftist" side. She gets the "former Dem showing how the party has Gone Too Far" cred there.

Wasn't she always pretty much a republican anyway?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

I'd bet it's going to be none of those people on the list.

https://twitter.com/ArthurDelaneyHP/status/1760320272740081741

Comer says they may no longer try to impeach Biden because the House margins are too small and some Republicans in blue seats want to sell themselves as independent and think they need some evidence to justify a vote for impeachment. Other Republicans also think just keeping an open impeachment investigation for the next year without ever having a vote will be more useful.

quote:

Rep. James Comer: Biden impeachment vote may not happen

Rep. James Comer, R-Ky., the chairman of the House Oversight Committee who is leading the Republican effort to investigate President Joe Biden, says the House may not hold an impeachment vote after all.

Comer told Spectrum News that the “math keeps getting worse” for Republicans, whose razor-thin majority in the House got even tighter after losing a Republican-held New York congressional seat earlier this week.

Comer’s monthslong probe has not produced any evidence that Joe Biden has benefitted from his son Hunter’s business activities.

The president has called the inquiry a “baseless political stunt that even Republicans in Congress admit is not supported by facts.”

Comer expects the committee will soon have a report, but no matter what happens in the House, he concedes the Senate won’t convict.

“The accountability, I hope will come this year, but it may come next year with a new president, a new attorney general,” said Comer. “At the end of the day, my goal is to get the truth out there and hold people accountable for wrongdoing. That may encompass impeachment. If it doesn’t, that’s fine with me.”

Comer's comments come after Republicans’ push to impeach Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas succeeded by one vote this week, and only on the second try. The Democratic-controlled Senate will take up the case at the end of the month, where it is expected to quickly be quashed.

As chair of the House oversight committee, Comer is leading an investigation into Biden and his family’s business dealings.

“I think the conference will get to see what happens with this Mayorkas impeachment in the Senate, and how serious the Senate treats that as to whether or not we impeach Joe Biden over here or we just focus on holding him accountable,” Comer said.

Rep. Morgan McGarvey, D-Ky. criticized both impeachment efforts, saying Republicans need to get back to work.

“We need to actually get rid of these political investigations where there’s been no evidence of any crimes or misdemeanors to this point and focus on the work of Congress,” he said.

When asked about reports that some fellow Republicans are unhappy with his investigation and his leadership of it, Comer pointed to what he said were more than 60 members who have asked him to attend a campaign event on their behalf over the last year as a sign that his colleagues are happy with what he’s trying to do.

https://spectrumnews1.com/ky/louisville/news/2024/02/15/comer--biden-impeachment-vote-may-not-happen-?cid=share_twitter

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Eric Cantonese posted:

Meatball Ron getting a VP slot after all those insults getting traded around would be something else.

isn't trump's official residence florida now, and wouldn't that in turn mean that a Trump-Desantis ticket couldn't get Florida's electoral votes?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

This is a recurring problem with Democrats who are former troops. And yet, they just can't seem to resist nominating them.

"This person can win some Republican votes" obviously carries with it the corollary "because they have some Republican positions." But that doesn't seem to deter them.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Was it a mistake for the Biden administration to use the words "final solution"?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Comer says they may no longer try to impeach Biden because the House margins are too small and some Republicans in blue seats want to sell themselves as independent and think they need some evidence to justify a vote for impeachment. Other Republicans also think just keeping an open impeachment investigation for the next year without ever having a vote will be more useful.

https://spectrumnews1.com/ky/louisville/news/2024/02/15/comer--biden-impeachment-vote-may-not-happen-?cid=share_twitter

I imagine they are just going to quietly let it fade away, even Jim Jordan is flailing
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1760320971544641912

Also, Bloomberg opinion columnist accidentally reveals that the DC press corps isn't actually interested in news related to governing; government.

https://twitter.com/conorsen/status/1760049024457957592

This is why they want Trump to win, they are bored and scared that they are going to get laid off. This is the Faustian bargain they are making, and in 2016 it resulted in the largest revenues for print and cable media since they industry started collapsing at the turn of the century. They are doing it again.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

More or less. One of those "Had to be on the Democratic ticket to win in Hawaii" deals. She backed some progressive stuff, both in Congress and the primary, but nothing you wouldn't expect from a Democratic representative from Hawaii and definitely left of some of what she backed before she ran for Congress. But her big visibility was always foreign policy where she was sharply criticizing of Obama in a way that was absolute catnip to some left and libertarian types who wanted to frame him as the great warmonger of our time. Thing is, in anything past the most surface analysis, she just thought he didn't buddy up to authoritarian dictators enough and we could bomb way more Muslims if we worked with Assad rather than against him.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jimbozig posted:

This is a recurring problem with Democrats who are former troops. And yet, they just can't seem to resist nominating them.

"This person can win some Republican votes" obviously carries with it the corollary "because they have some Republican positions." But that doesn't seem to deter them.

There are plenty of "hold your nose and vote" type Democrats who are former troops. Usually they're the "economic conservative social liberal" types though. Gabbard was all the way out there in my-church-hates-the-gays land all along, right?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 21, 2024

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

zoux posted:

I imagine they are just going to quietly let it fade away, even Jim Jordan is flailing

Also, Bloomberg opinion columnist accidentally reveals that the DC press corps isn't actually interested in news related to governing; government.

I mean the Hunter Biden situation is pretty frustrating in a way, because there is evidence that Bill Barr, David Weiss and others were involved in pushing the investigation despite doubts about Smirnov and others, but now David Weiss is in charge of prosecuting Smirnov despite being a witness. One would thing that a justice department scandal with regards to Hunter Biden would drive traffic to the media, but clearly the DC media has other priorities.

For example, as Marcy Wheeler points out, Scott Brady claimed to have verified travel records for the Smirnov tip, but the DC press corps is playing possum about this:

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1760322901977293262

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

plogo posted:

I mean the Hunter Biden situation is pretty frustrating in a way, because there is evidence that Bill Barr, David Weiss and others were involved in pushing the investigation despite doubts about Smirnov and others, but now David Weiss is in charge of prosecuting Smirnov despite being a witness. One would thing that a justice department scandal with regards to Hunter Biden would drive traffic to the media, but clearly the DC media has other priorities.

For example, as Marcy Wheeler points out, Scott Brady claimed to have verified travel records for the Smirnov tip, but the DC press corps is playing possum about this:

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1760322901977293262

Ryan Lizza has, uh, motivated reasoning

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
I agree that Ryan Lizza sucks. I also wouldn't expect journalists who have been involved in reporting on Hunter Biden like Devlin Barrett or Matt Viser to start writing stories contradicting their prior narratives because they don't want to look bad. But my overall point is that I do not think the DC press as a WHOLE will delve into the origins of the Hunter Biden indictments as much as they should.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't disagree, I'll just never miss an opportunity to bag on Ryan Lizza

The unskewing guy from 2012 kind of hosed us on this because you sound like a nut anytime you dig into the cross tabs but do we really think an outright majority of Americans aged 18-29 supports a 16 week abortion ban? And is in fact the demo most pro abortion ban?

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 21, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

According to Dave Wasserman, New York Democrats are considering overruling the bipartisan redistricting commission to submit their own map that is slightly more gerrymandered in their favor, but still keeps some of the court-ordered competitive districts that gave Republicans 9 more competitive seats in New York.

This would turn 3 lean R seats into lean D seats and keep several "competitive" districts in Long Island (one of which they just won back). This is to get a little gerrymandering in, but avoid a court case over it.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1760338496835801349

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A little gerrymandering, as a treat

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

haveblue posted:

A little gerrymandering, as a treat

*shrug* It's the only way available that even has the slim possibility of fixing some things. Gotta stick it to the red team until they squeal and then agree that the thing that sucks, sucks because it's hurting them so now it needs changed. You can't do decorum games and try to fair-play your way out of a fight with fascists.

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008

Some people dug up a public appearance from one of the people writing Trump's policy platform for 2024 and that "Christian Nationalism" document.

Last year, she said they need to "restore consequentiality to sex" by banning abortion and birth control to make women think twice about having casual sex.

She also says that the only way to stop casual sex and return sex to its "true purpose" is to "restore the danger to sex for women."

It is still kind of mind-blowing that Donald Trump is the vessel that these type of people have latched on to and that Trump is pushing policies that are the literal opposite of how he lives his own life.

https://twitter.com/Heritage/status/1662534135762624520

What kind of sad sack piece of poo poo wants to eliminate recreational sex? Who is voting for this?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Christians.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

tigersklaw posted:

What kind of sad sack piece of poo poo wants to eliminate recreational sex? Who is voting for this?

weird trad and evangelical nuts and weird /pol/ type trad incel types, no one in any real majority. also lots of weird self hatred poo poo. not in the "lol they are secret gays" but just in the "feeling any kind of pleasure is a sin as is holding hands" type poo poo. its the duggar/moral orel type poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS27S3mspjU its the religious equivalent of this.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 21, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

koolkal posted:

Christians.

Yeah I mean, they think it's a sin. I've always maintained that the pro-life movement was more about ensuring that women face consequences for sex rather than sincere concern for the fetal lives, but I didn't expect them to start admitting it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zoux posted:

Yeah I mean, they think it's a sin. I've always maintained that the pro-life movement was more about ensuring that women face consequences for sex rather than sincere concern for the fetal lives, but I didn't expect them to start admitting it.

i mean, why pretend anymore. they have purged anyone who would fight back and the GOP follows their bullshit. they got roe dead and are gonna run for everything on trump because they know if they lose and lose badly enough, they wont get into power again nationally for long time possibly.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

weird trad and evangelical nuts and weird /pol/ type trad incel types

That's what they said, Christians.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

They've also captured the Supreme Court and their only opposition is a Democratic Party that will bow down to whatever the law preists say, while refusing to pack it because doing so would "politicize" the institution. If there's a time for the Christofascist freaks to shoot their shot, it's now.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

B B posted:

They've also captured the Supreme Court and their only opposition is a Democratic Party that will bow down to whatever the law preists say, while refusing to pack it because doing so would "politicize" the institution. If there's a time for the Christofascist freaks to shoot their shot, it's now.

I'm not sure that this is true, do you have any evidence for this or what they should do differently?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

B B posted:

It's crazy how everything bad that happens is somehow the Democrats' fault. I do agree they should've used their 60-vote Senate supermajority to pass a SCOTUS reform bill in 2021, but I guess they are just too decorum poisoned.

Kari Lake is trying to pivot to the middle and, lol
https://twitter.com/MeghanMcCain/status/1760346193630990352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

zoux posted:

A lot of the anti abortion movement will straight up admit that they want women to have consequences to sex. It’s not a new or uncommon reasoning.