Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

the New Lore that laios basically grabbed shuro off the street and press-ganged him into the party is very good

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Huh, Namari immediately bailing after the dragon wipe is kinda harsher with this new context of her being the first and longest-lasting non-family party member.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

namari bailing immediately is at least somewhat understandable considering she’s got to work hard to dig out of the stigma her father consigned her to but shuro leaving is the real early characterization question mark, considering farlyn was his (in his perception) almost-fiance and the letter of resignation he left said that he had gotten an offer from another party

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

panko posted:

namari bailing immediately is at least somewhat understandable considering she’s got to work hard to dig out of the stigma her father consigned her to but shuro leaving is the real early characterization question mark, considering farlyn was his (in his perception) almost-fiance and the letter of resignation he left said that he had gotten an offer from another party
Didn't he immediately leave to get his retainers so he could immediately go back for Falin? It's a point that he was basically exhausted because he plumbed the depths of the dungeon too recklessly in his haste to get back to the site of the red dragon fight.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

yeah but none of that comes through in chapter 1

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 21, 2024

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

panko posted:

yeah but none of that comes through in chapter 1

Shuro doesn't exactly like Laios, trust Laios, or enjoy dealing with Laios. and it doesn't really seem like he particularly got along with any of the others besides Farlyn. seems like he mostly kept to himself, aside from Laios constantly wanting to hang out with him

makes sense that he wouldn't stick around to give a proper farewell before running off to go grab a party he felt was far more competent, and also makes sense that he wouldn't offer to take Laios with him

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

that’s all fine as backfilled lore but like with namari’s characterization none of that comes through in chapter 1

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

panko posted:

that’s all fine as backfilled lore but like with namari’s characterization none of that comes through in chapter 1

Why should it? They left abruptly because of personal reasons and we learn about that later. Not talking about it in the first chapter just gives room for the crew to met Senshi and begin their gourmet tour of the dungeon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they didn't have a deep bond of friendship. they were coworkers. everyone who went after farlyn did so because they love her. if marcille had access to a party of highly skilled retainers like shuro, she probably would have acted just like he did. the exception was chilchuck, who is a grumpy old dad that couldn't let these idiot kids go get themselves killed.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

panko posted:

Not every manga author starts off chapter 1 with every single character idea, worldbuilding concept, story beat, and arc fully conceived. I'm sure some do, but for many others it's a process that is developed over time, starting with a few clear ideas fleshed out, a general plot progression, and the first few chapters written.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
This gives me Stargate vibes and now I'm imagining Ryoko Kui helming a Stargate reboot.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Can Of Worms posted:

This gives me Stargate vibes and now I'm imagining Ryoko Kui helming a Stargate reboot.

Oh god I didn't notice that I messed up the transparency there

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

DrSunshine posted:

Not every manga author starts off chapter 1 with every single character idea, worldbuilding concept, story beat, and arc fully conceived. I'm sure some do, but for many others it's a process that is developed over time, starting with a few clear ideas fleshed out, a general plot progression, and the first few chapters written.

this is not a bad thing nor was I criticizing it :shrug:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

didn't expect Kabru to dump some Canary Unit 731 lore :stare:

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
Laios is the goodest boy

and that's why everyone puts up with his poo poo

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Three new comics! :toot:

Laios and Kabru

Thistle's sense of humor.

Melini greenification project

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I hope these post-credits never stop

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I love Kabru's stuff

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I love that Izutsumi was the only remember to remember the poop detail

also Laios and Kabru? More like gay gay homosexual gay

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GOD that detail was killing me yes, YES I AM THE NERD WHO THOUGHT THAT ALL THAT SALT MUST BE HELL ON THE SOIL QUALITY, no Ryoko is nerds with me and thought of that too.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m so happy that Laios has a friend

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

WAIT IZU HAS AN ADORABLE KITTY BOW

edit: WHAT THE gently caress HAS SHE ALWAYS HAD THIS

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

GOD that detail was killing me yes, YES I AM THE NERD WHO THOUGHT THAT ALL THAT SALT MUST BE HELL ON THE SOIL QUALITY, no Ryoko is nerds with me and thought of that too.

It's all a part of the Demons curse that prevents Laios from fulfilling his dreams. "Sorry Laios, no tradition of Monster hunting and Monster cuisine in your kingdom, here, have forests instead."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

DrSunshine posted:

That one Terry Pratchett interview where someone asks him if the Patrician of Ankh-Morpork was someone else in the first book because he seems less capable and intimidating and Pratchett answered, "Maybe he was Vetinari, but written by a more stupid writer."

SexyBlindfold posted:

Same.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Scholtz posted:

Melini greenification project

Wow what a lovely kingdom :haw:

Zodar
May 21, 2007

SexyBlindfold posted:

The Men Behind The Dun(geon)

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Ok this raised a question I can't remember the answer to: Did the manga ever discuss where people pooped in the dungeon? Maybe it was in an earlier chapter and I just forgot after all these years.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

ZiegeDame posted:

Ok this raised a question I can't remember the answer to: Did the manga ever discuss where people pooped in the dungeon? Maybe it was in an earlier chapter and I just forgot after all these years.

Yes, in Chapter 8.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Wait...why is the poop making forests?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Artificer posted:

Chapter 90

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
e: ^^^^

Artificer posted:

Because Laius wished his monster form would have poop that made forests, and he didn't come all the way back to human instantly.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

VideoWitch posted:

I love that Izutsumi was the only remember to remember the poop detail

also Laios and Kabru? More like gay gay homosexual gay

incredible callback

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I love how stoked she is to remember.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Schrodinger Izutsumi simultaneously not paying any attention to your dumb dream monster idea and remembering even the tiniest details about it.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 23, 2024

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

read this, it was very good. it is always refreshing to read a work that is thoughtful about race and gender and culture as elements of character without getting flattening or didactic about it. also the central thematic points about eating (both its pleasures and its necessary pain) held together very well from beginning to end. i also really appreciate that chilchuck's biggest character moment near the finale is ultimately just him telling marcille that he sincerely wants to reconcile with his wife and wants her there to help him. also really respect the hell out of the writing's commitment to mithrun's telefrag-based combat style, which is very cool. good stuff all around.

i know people expressed surprise that kui said she didn't get deep into video games until after she got serialized (and i don't know the extent of her knowledge of other forms of fantasy) but i think it actually makes perfect sense. dunmeshi feels like the kind of really good stuff you can get when someone with a strong understanding of writing and storytelling and a sense of the value of consistency (which i would argue is the thread uniting kui's worldbuilding and characterization, which are elements of this work people really praise) approaches a genre milieu they are less familiar with (but, crucially, don't disrespect or devalue).

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Me linking Chapter 90 led to me rereading the ending, and I just realized the end "Thank you for reading!" blurb mentions that there will be supplemental books :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Wow, I was not expecting Laios/Kabru to hit Marcille/Falin levels of "it's all but explicitly canon."