Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gas superheated to plasma form I think, the ammunition for them is actually gas canisters. Also why you very rarely see anyone reload a blaster, since they're good for hundreds of shots even from a small bottle relative to the gun's size. I'm not sure how video games handle them, though I wouldn't be surprised if overheating was more of a concern than conserving ammo.
Generally the shooters treat them like bullets while the space sims either don't really worry about ammo or have a power system where you have to balance powering the engines, weapons and shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The old games treated them like guns in DOOM, where you fire from a large ammo count, and some weapons shared the same ammo but cost more per shot

Battlefront 2018 uses an overheating mechanic where you can fire continuously, then time a "reload" to either instantly empty the cooldown bar or get a burst of infinite ammo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vinylshadow posted:

The old games treated them like guns in DOOM, where you fire from a large ammo count, and some weapons shared the same ammo but cost more per shot

IIRC doesn't Dark Forces literally use the Doom engine? Either way, that was exactly what I was thinking of. Even makes sense, if it's the same base material but bigger guns can use more of it at once with a more energetic reaction, effectively working like a gas tank, or a battery.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC doesn't Dark Forces literally use the Doom engine? Either way, that was exactly what I was thinking of. Even makes sense, if it's the same base material but bigger guns can use more of it at once with a more energetic reaction, effectively working like a gas tank, or a battery.

It doesn't, it uses its own engine (which had some cool features that Doom didn't).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, the "Jedi Engine" lol

There's a project to get it up to modern speed now: https://theforceengine.github.io/

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The jedi engine was very much a reverse engineered and improved version of the doom engine. The sith engine is the same thing for the quake engine, where they added some features that would show up in quake 2.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Does any Star Wars game have a battery stat for lightsabers? You'd think they'd consume a lot of energy too.

First time I saw AotC I thought Anakin's stopped working because it ran out of battery at the worst possible moment.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

YaketySass posted:

Does any Star Wars game have a battery stat for lightsabers? You'd think they'd consume a lot of energy too.

First time I saw AotC I thought Anakin's stopped working because it ran out of battery at the worst possible moment.

According to Legends lore, the stasis field that encloses the blade of a saber recycles the energy of the blade back into the power cell, thus the saber only draws power when it's actually cutting something, making battery replacement a rare issue.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's not officially Star Wars, but the No More Heroes games make you shake the wiimote to charge up the "beam katana" weapon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Robot Style posted:

It's not officially Star Wars, but the No More Heroes games make you shake the wiimote to charge up the "beam katana" weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e56eOBxQVds

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

YaketySass posted:

The only time I can remember lightsaber fuel coming up in a story was in a comic book where the Jedi Librarian built a lightsaber rifle to try and kill Darth Vader.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I remember there being an pre-Old Republic thing where lightsabers had to be powered by a battery pack you'd wear on your belt, but I don't know how canon it ever was. It certainly isn't now. Kinda cool idea for first gen lightsabers, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And if you're wondering if it's meant to look like jacking off, it is. No More Heroes is silly.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Is that what Cloud City was mining? Gas for weapon ammo? No wonder it's important.

I think Farscape had a similar idea but in that case the gas was made using the roots of a plant. So farming it became a huge industry.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I assume everyone's using some kind of hydrogen fueled mined from gas giants like that.

Lightsabers should have a built in shakeweight. You must learn control!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The only time I can remember lightsaber fuel coming up in a story was in a comic book where the Jedi Librarian built a lightsaber rifle to try and kill Darth Vader.

“I’ve got a way to kill Darth Vader” is the best sub-movie trope. Better than “there’s a new Death Star” and “somehow this dude survived order 66”

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I always felt like the armor against blasters was hilariously inconsistent. Seems like 90% of it does gently caress all and you just die anyway (unless you're a featured character), and the other 10% just completely reflects everything. I'm sure there are tomes explaining it in the EU that I do not know.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

One explanation for Stormtrooper armor's variable effectiveness was that it was made of "plastoid", a type of futuristic material that could disperse energy from stuff like blasters, but was also literally just plastic so was next to useless against blunt force trauma (like getting lightly beaned in the head by a rock thrown by an Ewok).

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
sort of like how the terrifying concept of microwave radiation weaponry can be blocked with a thin sheet of aluminium foil, i guess.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

thrawn527 posted:

I remember there being an pre-Old Republic thing where lightsabers had to be powered by a battery pack you'd wear on your belt

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

I remember there being an pre-Old Republic thing where lightsabers had to be powered by a battery pack you'd wear on your belt, but I don't know how canon it ever was. It certainly isn't now. Kinda cool idea for first gen lightsabers, though.

I like that because it makes a weird kind of sense, like early mobile phones. (Thanks, Yakuza 0)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Today I learned that actress Fiona Johnson, aka The Woman In The Red Dress in The Matrix, was also in AOTC as an Easter Egg on the request of Lucas.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Her forehead could use less cooking oil in that cameo

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gonz posted:

Today I learned that actress Fiona Johnson, aka The Woman In The Red Dress in The Matrix, was also in AOTC as an Easter Egg on the request of Lucas.

The guy who plays Mouse in Matrix also appears as fan-favourite Elan Sleazebaggano, while parts of the bar scene are fleshed out with duplicated ‘twin’ characters to make it appear more populated.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Robot Style posted:

One explanation for Stormtrooper armor's variable effectiveness was that it was made of "plastoid", a type of futuristic material that could disperse energy from stuff like blasters, but was also literally just plastic so was next to useless against blunt force trauma (like getting lightly beaned in the head by a rock thrown by an Ewok).
My rationalization was always that a) like the first modern combat helmets, it's designed to protect you from shrapnel, not a direct hit, and b) it's designed to turn a killing shot into just a disabling shot.

That doesn't explain why it's ineffective against slingshots.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

You have to understand

They were very sharp rocks

Or maybe the troopers didn't want the Ewoks to feel bad and played dead

Then got eaten

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Stormtrooper armour is a heat-resistant ceramic, imo.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Upsidads posted:

Her forehead could use less cooking oil in that cameo

Gonna edit an explanation into Wookiepedia

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The MSJ posted:

It's from all the jizz-wailing in that club.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

The MSJ posted:

This was my instinct as well

Her species (woe-mans) secrete a powerful pheromone, as well as possess "breasts" (links to breasts article)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Blood Boils posted:

This was my instinct as well

Her species (woe-mans) secrete a powerful pheromone, as well as possess "breasts" (links to breasts article)

"alright yoda, show em"-Kit Fisto

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
still in awe that they claimed a minor human character played by an asian man was a member of the 'near-human' 'epicanthix' species

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ungulateman posted:

still in awe that they claimed a minor human character played by an asian man was a member of the 'near-human' 'epicanthix' species

:stare:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It's like they say, "there's no minor human characters, only minor human actors."

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

shoutout to Yun and all of Jerec's dark jedi. a handful of video game bosses that were a more enjoyable squad than the knights of ren

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ingmar terdman posted:

shoutout to Yun and all of Jerec's dark jedi. a handful of video game bosses that were a more enjoyable squad than the knights of ren

Before Orensten and Smaug there were Gorc and Pic.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

ungulateman posted:

What's wild is the actor's not even Asian.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ungulateman posted:

holy christ

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Robot Style posted:

What's wild is the actor's not even Asian.

i see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ungulateman posted:

I don't get it.