Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

fez_machine posted:

Maybe the Hemingway Hoax and Camouflage? They won prizes but I don't hear anyone talk about them ever

I'll vouch for Camouflage, both my wife and I read that one independently and liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think SPOCK MUST DIE! was the first time I realized a book could be bad

e: ok it wasn't that book it was some book where Spock became a pirate? Or was enslaved by very hairy women? Or both??

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 21, 2024

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Speaking of...well, none of that

Finished Exordia and I think I'm gonna be chewing on it for a while, that's a wild ride that kinda didn't let off the gas once things got going.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I think SPOCK MUST DIE! was the first time I realized a book could be bad

e: ok it wasn't that book it was some book where Spock became a pirate? Or was enslaved by very hairy women? Or both??

Could it be Spock, Messiah!? Yeah, that one's rotten.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Selachian posted:

I remember liking There Is No Darkness and Mindbridge, but it's been a very long time since I read them so I have no idea how well they've aged.

I like All My Sins Remembered for hosed-up unglamorous interstellar spy stuff, so if you like the sound of that...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Selachian posted:

Could it be Spock, Messiah!? Yeah, that one's rotten.

It was called BLACK FIRE apparently. I had to google 'spock pirate depilatory'

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

SFF Megethread: I had to google 'spock pirate depilatory'

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Exordia was quite something, wasn't it?

I'll be making my way back through the last few pages of the thread which I avoided because I'm bad with spoilers, can't wait to read everyone else's take on it.

Anyway, hell of a book, really enjoyed it. Will recommend to people I think will appreciate it, although a lot of the people I recommend books to seem to be really put off by body horror, so perhaps not those people...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Like a lot of the body horror in the locked tomb, my brain kind of blips over those passages, which is good because I hate that stuff myself.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
A Deepness in the Sky was losing me a little bit at the start - I’d find myself either not invested in the space or planet POV in turn. But by the middle of the book it absolutely drew me back in. I think I still wasn’t quite as into it as I was into A Fire Upon the Deep- the ending felt maybe a little rushed? But still one of the better books I’ve read in quite awhile. Very glad this wasn’t a Hyperion > Hyperion’s sequels situation.

Spoilers for a book older than many of my coworkers below:
Eg the revelation that there has been a secret plot to counteract the humans sort of made sense given hints? Like I’m not shocked that was what happened, but it did feel slightly hand wavy. The translators getting fully invested in their subjects and being immune to the dehumanizing effects of focus as a result did feel like it made sense, and wasn’t totally out of the blue? But yea still a twist. The in space stuff felt more like it sort of tracked based on what we’d learned so far.

I did like the parts where it emphasized how alien the spider architecture actually was by showing how humans perceived it at the end. In general I really liked the world building of the spider world - again did a great job taking a really different society (like the tines were) and playing it out.

Working through Children of the Sky now- the start again hasn’t sucked me in quite as much but momentum definitely building/getting more invested. It does feel like there is probably an argument in reading Fire > Children > Deepness? But I’m not sure. Just to have the Tines more fresh in your mind when you start Children. Deepness felt like it relied much less on your knowledge of what happened in the other two books, at least so far.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Muir also has a talent for making horror beautiful, and we see some of that in Exordia too imo

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Kesper North posted:

Muir also has a talent for making horror beautiful, and we see some of that in Exordia too imo

I'm not finding anything beautiful about Exordia's body horror, but it sure is good body horror.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

voiceless anal fricative posted:

I'm not finding anything beautiful about Exordia's body horror, but it sure is good body horror.

The initial description of Blackbird/Rosamaria as some sort of fractally-limbed angel-human was pretty beautiful. Certainly divine in one sense or another.

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

Steve Miller, the husband and writing partner of Sharon Lee, has died. They were the team responsible for the Liaden books, which many here (myself included) have expressed a liking for.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm reading The Vagrant and I'm about halfway in and it's getting to the point where I think he's being a little too obfuscatory about what the hell is going on. I know that's just something you have to deal with in SFF, getting dropped into an unfamiliar world with people using terms and referencing people and events that you have to figure out from context, but with a mute protagonist it's even more difficult. What I can figure out is cool, I like the vibe of the post-apocalyptic fantasy. Is it worth sticking with?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I read all three so I will say yes.

As I recall there's not much more than what you see

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Is there any consensus on which of the Vlad Taltos novels are the good / bad ones, or is it more of a Dresden Files situation where no two people will agree on anything other than Fool Moon being weak?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Kestral posted:

Is there any consensus on which of the Vlad Taltos novels are the good / bad ones, or is it more of a Dresden Files situation where no two people will agree on anything other than Fool Moon being weak?

The series starts out as good but simple cloak and dagger stuff focusing on Vlad and then gets more experimental and pretentious as the series shifts focus to the long-lived Dragereans, at one point adopting a Three Musketeers like style. If you're a literary sort you might love that, but it was not my thing.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Read Annihilation, it was fun and short.

Should i read the sequels?

Can i watch the movie now or does it include sequel material?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Mr. Nemo posted:

You can watch the movie.

Read the sequels. Opinions differ on how satisfied you’ll be at the end, but imo they’re both worth reading and the second book is unforgettable.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Mr. Nemo posted:

The sequels are great though less accessible (imo each one is better than the last). The movie is only based on the first book, and a bit loosely at that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I find Acceptance to be pretty weak, there are four or five strains of plot and two of them I find incredibly dull. Authority is great though, especially if you've had to deal with serious workplace power struggles before. It seems he is also now writing a prequel to the series.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Selachian posted:

Yeah, Haldeman's Star Trek novels, Planet of Judgement and World Without End, are a cut above the glorified fanfic being published under the Trek banner back then. (The less said about the Marshak-Culbreath novels, the better.)

I remember liking There Is No Darkness and Mindbridge, but it's been a very long time since I read them so I have no idea how well they've aged.

All my sins remembered is extremely hosed up and good

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003RRXXMA/

The Kill Society (Sandman Slim #9) by Richard Kadrey - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M031BL8/

Infinite Dreams: Stories by Joe Haldeman - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PI1847M/

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

thotsky posted:

The series starts out as good but simple cloak and dagger stuff focusing on Vlad and then gets more experimental and pretentious as the series shifts focus to the long-lived Dragereans, at one point adopting a Three Musketeers like style. If you're a literary sort you might love that, but it was not my thing.

The Musketeers one is an in-universe historical retelling of events you-the-reader are already familiar with, written by a character who was neither there nor interested in an accuracy. It's fun.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Poldarn posted:

The Musketeers one is an in-universe historical retelling of events you-the-reader are already familiar with, written by a character who was neither there nor interested in an accuracy. It's fun.

It's also a spinoff in the same setting but not part of the actual Taltos series, so if for some reason you do not vibe with the style you can ignore them completely.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Yes, I think there are a couple of weaker Taltos ones in the main series but in general I think the quality is very consistent, especially from the fourth or so going forward. I’ve also appreciated more some of the books I didn’t like as much initially when I’ve gone back for a re-read. I suspect the jumping around in time probably won’t work for some people, as some of the “bigger” plot elements relating to the setting progress very glacially.

The Dumas-pastiche side books (Phoenix Guards) I think are fantastic and I’m even tempted to say in many ways are better than the source material. The first is a lot sillier / more fun (depending on how much you like it) than subsequent books, which become much more serialised, serious (while still retaining a lot of humour) and more involved in fleshing out the background to the main Taltos books. I really enjoy how the two separate series cover parts of the setting from very different and biased perspectives, I can’t think of any other series that does anything similar. I can see it not working for others though. But in general I think all the Dragaera books are quite unusual, very readable and fun with a bit of depth. The characters are paper thin outside of Vlad himself, though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mr. Nemo posted:

You can watch the movie now, but personally, I'd recommend going in with expectations lower than the basement. It is... not good.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PriorMarcus posted:

You can watch the movie now, but personally, I'd recommend going in with expectations lower than the basement. It is... not good.

The movie is really good, what?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Poldarn posted:

The kind of author-character who goes off on a long digression about some irrelevant (but nonetheless interesting) historical aspect of something or other; and then spends another half-page profusely apologizing to the readers for wasting their valuable time with such verbiage.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

The movie is great, as long as you’re not expecting it to tell the same story as the book. It captures the deeply unsettling feeling of Area X quite well, though.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Should I aim for the Gentleman Bastards trilogy, start with the guards subseries of Pratchett, read the standalones by Abercrombie (and presumably the next trilogy after that), the Dandelion Dynasty, or the Realm of the Enderlings saga by Robin Hobb (starting with the Farseer trilogy)?

I just finished the Stormlight Archive up to current and the first Mistborn saga. Already read the First Law trilogy. Just getting back into reading, so could use some suggestions

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

virinvictus posted:

Should I aim for the Gentleman Bastards trilogy, start with the guards subseries of Pratchett, read the standalones by Abercrombie (and presumably the next trilogy after that), the Dandelion Dynasty, or the Realm of the Enderlings saga by Robin Hobb (starting with the Farseer trilogy)?

I just finished the Stormlight Archive up to current and the first Mistborn saga. Already read the First Law trilogy. Just getting back into reading, so could use some suggestions

My vote would be Pratchett.

On the topic of Gentleman Bastards, I thought the first book was great, the second was two potentially-great books awkwardly spliced together into a single ok book, and the third was disappointing, so my rec there would be to read the first one and then stop, but seriously, Pratchett.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

ToxicFrog posted:

My vote would be Pratchett.

On the topic of Gentleman Bastards, I thought the first book was great, the second was two potentially-great books awkwardly spliced together into a single ok book, and the third was disappointing, so my rec there would be to read the first one and then stop, but seriously, Pratchett.

Agree on Pratchett and to just read Lies as a one off.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

virinvictus posted:

I thought the standalones were the best Abercrombie. The next triology is somewhat disappointing. Didn't really care much for Gentleman Bastards.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Everyone else is right about the options you presented. Lies and Abercrombies single novels own

If you're just getting back into reading, I suggest thread favoritesThe Traitor Baru Cormorant or Gideon the Ninth

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Harold Fjord posted:

Everyone else is right about the options you presented. Lies and Abercrombies single novels own

If you're just getting back into reading, I suggest thread favoritesThe Traitor Baru Cormorant or Gideon the Ninth

Added to my kindle!

Edit: Pratchett is next.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
What do you all do to avoid distractions while reading?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

genericnick posted:

I thought the standalones were the best Abercrombie. The next triology is somewhat disappointing. Didn't really care much for Gentleman Bastards.

The heroes is great.

Gideon is incredible, the trilogy is just an insanely good journey albeit unfinished at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

A Sneaker Broker posted:

What do you all do to avoid distractions while reading?

Sit on the couch away from my phone and computer, or read in the hour before sleep where I'm supposed to avoid blue light anyway.