Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Captain Invictus posted:

Gods are meant to be terrifying.

But enough about Usopp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I went to Thailand recently for vacation and watched some Muay Thai matches. Before each match, they do a ceremonial dance called Wai Kru Ram Muay, and part of the dance looks surprisingly familiar:

Any idea if Oda was inspired by Muay Thai for the Nika pose? The music during the match also vaguely reminds me of the Drums of Liberation. At the very least, watching Muay Thai rang a lot of bells for me when it comes to Street Fighter tropes like called attacks and results.

E: I wouldn't be surprised if Oda looked at South/Southeast Asian cultures for inspiration considering Luffy’s final attack against Kaido is called Bajrang/Monkey God Gun.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 23, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DizzyBum posted:

:piaa:

I didn't expect Vegapunk to have a deadman's switch ready to go, and I really should have. He's about to dump the biggest truth bomb on the world and the top brass won't have any way to cover this up. If they can't stop the broadcast, their only option will be to incarcerate or kill everyone that hears the news. Good loving luck with that, guys!

I feel like Vegapunk should have directly threatened Saturn with revealing the truth to the world if they kill him, but then again maybe Vegapunk wanted things to happen this way given how much he is red flagging right now.

Also holy dear mother of gently caress if we are about to see the Void Century get revealed in a chapter or two... :suspense::tviv:

It's one hell of a play by Vegapunk, that's for sure. The World Government can exterminate an island or two and rule the rest no problem, but what if the entire world needed to be eradicated? Would the WG call his bluff? I think they would, honestly. It would make for a super cataclysmic final battle as the whole world revolts and fights for survival at the same time.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 23, 2024

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Any idea if Oda was inspired by Muay Thai for the Nika pose? The music during the match also vaguely reminds me of the Drums of Liberation. At the very least, watching Muay Thai rang a lot of bells for me when it comes to Street Fighter tropes like called attacks and results.

E: I wouldn't be surprised if Oda looked at South/Southeast Asian cultures for inspiration considering Luffy’s final attack against Kaido is called Bajrang/Monkey God Gun.

Most people think Joy Boy's name comes from Jayabaya, an ancient Indonesian king who made a prophecy about the country's freedom - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayabaya

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

no the name comes from him being a joyful boy

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
okay heres how vivi can still join paulie can still join bernie can still win yamato can still join kizaru can still join

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Ryaomon posted:

okay heres how vivi can still join paulie can still join bernie can still win yamato can still join kizaru can still join
Did anyone else notice he cleanly shot through the hole that was already in Vegapunk, to avoid hurting him further

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 23, 2024

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

No Wave posted:

Did anyone else notice he cleanly shot through the hole that was already in Vegapunk, to avoid hurting him further

[spoiler] im becoming a kuzaru cautarize truther for real [spoiler]

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

No Wave posted:

yeah and I'm pretty sure he shot him full of nanomachines to power him up

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
you can’t cauterize a hole through your body! If anything that’d kill him faster

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tragic how Akainu's attempts to cauterize Ace's wounds went so badly wrong

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You guys, obviously Vegapunk and Kizaru are in cahoots and Kizaru shot Vegapunk to activate the dead man switch so he can still look like he's obeying orders while epically screwing the WG over!

And then Vegapunk stuffs his brain into a spare Pacifista or something idk

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 23, 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CharlestonJew posted:

yeah and I'm pretty sure he shot him full of nanomachines to power him up
fool! everyone knows you have to stab someone in the torso unexpectedly to do that! at range doesn't work! squard taught us this.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

fool! everyone knows you have to stab someone in the torso unexpectedly to do that! at range doesn't work! squard taught us this.

then it's a good thing kizaru is clearly using his light sword, distinct from the shooting of a beam

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Kizaru successfully healed Vegapunk with his cauterizing paladin light beam but then Sanji picked up the body and jiggled some internal organs around, causing massive internal haemorraging. Another case of these so-called “heroes” - the Strawhat Pirates - being truly evil! Sad!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

given all the flashbacks and the Food Incident, i wouldn't be surprised if kizaru actually knew about the dead man's switch this whole time and killed vegapunk to help fulfill a prearranged plan. i could fully buy vegapunk wanting to go out in a blaze of glory as penance for his past sins, although why kizaru's playing an agent of chaos is still a mystery

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Vermain posted:

given all the flashbacks and the Food Incident, i wouldn't be surprised if kizaru actually knew about the dead man's switch this whole time and killed vegapunk to help fulfill a prearranged plan. i could fully buy vegapunk wanting to go out in a blaze of glory as penance for his past sins, although why kizaru's playing an agent of chaos is still a mystery

The arc starts with Shaka on a phone call with Dragon telling him he was about to die. So going out in a blaze of glory to try to partially redeem working for the WG has been planned. I could see it being known by Vegapunk’s inner circle about the switch.

I do wonder what is going to happen to the other Satellites was the primary death. York definitely was under the impression the others could die and she would be fine but then you have Shaka saying he wasn’t going to survive. I guess you could see it as Shaka, being the good of Vegapunk, took it upon himself to say goodbye to an old friend for the Stella not knowing his own exact fact.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Vermain posted:

Yes. "Have you no heart, Kizaru?" was the secret password to start the plan.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
kizaru is gonna poop his pants at lightspeed

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

logger posted:

But enough about Usopp

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Thinking on it, Vegapunk must've decided on his dead man's switch broadcast and recorded it very recently, or else York would have known about it. Even York would have realized that becoming a Celestial Dragon would be impossible after a stunt like this

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

Thinking on it, Vegapunk must've decided on his dead man's switch broadcast and recorded it very recently, or else York would have known about it. Even York would have realized that becoming a Celestial Dragon would be impossible after a stunt like this
Well, maybe. She certainly wouldn't have been happy about it, but if you think it through it kind of still works. Vegapunk reveals the truth of the Void Century to the world. Lots of people are upset with the World Government. Rebellions break out all over the world against WG backed local governments. It's a huge mess. Maybe even the Marines are getting harder to rely on.

What better time to unveil your island destroying space laser? "Yeah, we're fuckers, but we can erase your home at the push of a button so what are you gonna do about it?" Seems like the one and only person left who can create Mother Flame will suddenly be pretty valuable to the World Government.

You'd think if York knew she'd mention something to the World Government, but maybe she didn't care and assumed it'd all work out.

It's also possible that the Stella has some partitioned memories. Do all the satellites know everything the Stella does about the Void Century? Maybe the Stella kept that stuff secret even from his other selves since it was so dangerous, including the deadman switch that would reveal it.

Edit:
But that brings up another issue- what good is a secret dead man's switch? Isn't the point to make people who don't want that information out there think twice about killing him?

Eiba fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 23, 2024

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Just as D. Octor Vegapunk is about to begin Luffy stops him and says he doesn't want to go on a boring adventure like that

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Eiba posted:

Edit:
But that brings up another issue- what good is a secret dead man's switch? Isn't the point to make people who don't want that information out there think twice about killing him?[/spoiler]
I dont think so. Thats the purpose of a Dr Strangelove Doomsday device but this is something else entirely. Vegapunk had something he wanted the world to know but held back because he didnt want to get killed/thought he was more valuable alive (because he believed his inventions would bring about a post-scarcity world). If he's dead, well, open the floodgates.

He couldnt have used it as a threat vs the WG because jay garcia is a MAN OF SCIENCE who could shut it down.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

"Now kiss"

https://twitter.com/peixeaquatico/status/1761078919518712068?t=JdxhCggWHVJ4j3cih0hOjA&s=19

Woozie66 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 23, 2024

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I love the way Saturn is drawn this chapter. Like an angry cow (I guess thats what he is).

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

No Wave posted:

I love the way Saturn is drawn this chapter. Like an angry cow (I guess thats what he is).

did he speak at all this chapter? i think his full demon form might be the opposite of awakening where the devil fruit wins and takes over

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

anime was right posted:

did he speak at all this chapter? i think his full demon form might be the opposite of awakening where the devil fruit wins and takes over
Its like those old impel down "awakened" zoans...Goda?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

This is amazing

anime was right posted:

I'm probably wrong but my wild theory is that he's being remote-controlled by Imu

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The sweating and the looking away :lol:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://youtu.be/zHKPUITt990?si=dMjZGy1H4sv_mYZP

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

No Wave posted:

I dont think so. Thats the purpose of a Dr Strangelove Doomsday device but this is something else entirely. Vegapunk had something he wanted the world to know but held back because he didnt want to get killed/thought he was more valuable alive (because he believed his inventions would bring about a post-scarcity world). If he's dead, well, open the floodgates.

He couldnt have used it as a threat vs the WG because jay garcia is a MAN OF SCIENCE who could shut it down.

Oh yeah, that makes sense. I was wondering why he wouldn't just release the information in the first place if it wasn't supposed to be a threat, but I guess he was hoping the government wouldn't try to kill him as hard if he kept his mouth shut.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

If Saturn and the impel down guards are any indication, do we have reason to worry/will Oda mine conflict out of the possibility of Luffy going mad and losing himself as some kind of permanent joyous boy?

Edit: what I think I’m getting at is I’m wondering if Oda will be moving forward with the idea of Luffy questioning his status as a god. Skypiea dealt with that in the opposite direction where luffy was just a man. Maybe it’s not anything the story will question if Luffy’s perspective remains uncorrupted and his righteous fury placed correctly.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 24, 2024

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

No Wave posted:

Its like those old impel down "awakened" zoans...Goda?

and monster point

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Imaging the alternate timeline where instead of Kuina Vegapunk just randomly falls down some stairs and dies and the secret message blasts out to the whole world

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Tragic how Akainu's attempts to cauterize Ace's wounds went so badly wrong

https://www.reddit.com/r/MemePiece/comments/w20epf/akainu_kills/

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Egghead is cool and all I just hope I don't have to wait until the actual final island or something for Yamato to come back

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

No Wave posted:

Yes immediately as a joke

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Eiba posted:

Well, maybe. She certainly wouldn't have been happy about it, but if you think it through it kind of still works. Vegapunk reveals the truth of the Void Century to the world. Lots of people are upset with the World Government. Rebellions break out all over the world against WG backed local governments. It's a huge mess. Maybe even the Marines are getting harder to rely on.

What better time to unveil your island destroying space laser? "Yeah, we're fuckers, but we can erase your home at the push of a button so what are you gonna do about it?" Seems like the one and only person left who can create Mother Flame will suddenly be pretty valuable to the World Government.

You'd think if York knew she'd mention something to the World Government, but maybe she didn't care and assumed it'd all work out.

It's also possible that the Stella has some partitioned memories. Do all the satellites know everything the Stella does about the Void Century? Maybe the Stella kept that stuff secret even from his other selves since it was so dangerous, including the deadman switch that would reveal it.

Edit:
But that brings up another issue- what good is a secret dead man's switch? Isn't the point to make people who don't want that information out there think twice about killing him?

York has been keeping secret memories so there's no reason to think any other Vegapunk wouldn't be able to. The main issue is that they just never thought to because they functioned as a quasi-hive mind, and it's the one who has to poo poo all the time who got fed up.

Plus I still don't think it's a recorded message going out via some deadman's switch. It's live and it's Stella talking from the Vegacloud. That's the only reason to keep in the mic check and testing in your broadcast. After all Stella is just his body while his mind is in Punk Records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Gyges posted:

York has been keeping secret memories so there's no reason to think any other Vegapunk wouldn't be able to. The main issue is that they just never thought to because they functioned as a quasi-hive mind, and it's the one who has to poo poo all the time who got fed up.

Plus I still don't think it's a recorded message going out via some deadman's switch. It's live and it's Stella talking from the Vegacloud. That's the only reason to keep in the mic check and testing in your broadcast. After all Stella is just his body while his mind is in Punk Records.

I think he just sucks at audio engineering. And anyway there's a shot of the screen in the lab showing the Stella, and he's not bloody unconsious draped over Sanji's arm, he's just standing up normally.