Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I've noticed that when baking salmon, sometimes the resulting salmon is sort of crumbly, coming apart in smaller flakes, and other times it comes apart more in thick "slices" that separate neatly from each other.

Does anyone know if this is a consequence of how long it's been cooked, or the quality/cut of the salmon? Because I feel like the salmon I purchase tends to be around the same size and, within a minute, cooked at the same degree and heat every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

PurpleXVI posted:

I've noticed that when baking salmon, sometimes the resulting salmon is sort of crumbly, coming apart in smaller flakes, and other times it comes apart more in thick "slices" that separate neatly from each other.

Does anyone know if this is a consequence of how long it's been cooked, or the quality/cut of the salmon? Because I feel like the salmon I purchase tends to be around the same size and, within a minute, cooked at the same degree and heat every time.

The texture of fish changes based on age, diet, processing, etc. Not just the cooking method. Salmon can be wild caught or captive bred. You're not wrong that you're sometimes getting a different product sometimes. There are a LOT of factors in play. Salmon really needs to be harvested when it's juuuuuust riiiiight and figuring out when that is for a given population is the work of someone far more into salmon than I.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I've found that a big difference, anecdotally, is wild vs farmed.

I feel like I've definitely gotten "crumbly" salmon more often from farmed rather than wild. Although I hardly ever buy farmed anyway.

I basically don't buy salmon unless it's wild caught sockeye, fresh and in-season.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Previously frozen, as well? Fresh tend to be distinguishably less, well, mushy at any given temperature.

e: Also depends on method used, fish quality etc. fully aware sashimi grade stuff does fine

Kalsco fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 23, 2024

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I believe there is a major difference in the texture between farmed and wild salmon, with farmed having much more fat leading to a softer mouthfeel overall.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I have been in the aquarium hobby off and on for about 37ish years. Taste tested a lot of fish food. Seen reports from people who have attempted to eat aquarium fish. Fish tastes like what they eat and the big bags of crap food sold for farm/pond fish are gross. Smelly in a bad way, super greasy, etc.

I can't eat farmed fish without tasting fish food. Most people will not have that mental block.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

Taste tested a lot of fish food.
what

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
This is unfortunately true of almost every thing you can eat. Anything allowed to grow at its own pace with positive human regard for the end result is essentially a completely different food from whatever happens at the other end of the bell curve.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I have a whole drawer of random fish foods and by taste testing them I can fulfill my autistic impulse to taste things. Also it gives me a better handle on what my fish like and don't like so I can more better buy good food for them.

All of it is super gross but pond/farm food is way worse than stuff made for aquarium fish.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
On the whole ,that makes sense, as people are _much_ more likely to taste aquarium fish food. As such, there's a vested interest in making most pet food the "Okay, I could eat that, maybe." flavor for humans.

Fish that are food, not friends, they get what's economical.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The advice I got when living on Canada's West coast was to pick salmon based on how fat they are right at the tail end - apparently that's a good sign that they are healthy and well-fed .

It's worked out well for me. It's hard to get fresh salmon where I live now though, and yes sometimes it's crumbly.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Fruits of the sea posted:

The advice I got when living on Canada's West coast was to pick salmon based on how fat they are right at the tail end - apparently that's a good sign that they are healthy and well-fed .

It's worked out well for me. It's hard to get fresh salmon where I live now though, and yes sometimes it's crumbly.

I feel for you. I recently moved from South Florida to Pennsylvania and have a devil of a time finding good fish. I can find fresh Mahi and sometimes grouper, but snapper and corvina are tough to track down.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The worst part is that I live on the coast in Scandinavia. In theory we should get excellent fish, including salmon! But it's all shipped to Southern Europe and what's left is sold at a crazy mark-up.

On the plus side, it's still possible to get excellent flounder and cod.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Along those lines then, I'm not a huge fish guy. I eat cod regularly, used to do tilapia on the regular when it was cheaper, and really liked halibut as a kid. I like tuna, but almost exclusively in tuna salad or sushi. I've not had any good cooked tuna dishes. (Yes, I know canned tuna is not raw). I hate salmon in almost any form, but enjoy it smoked every now and again.

So, I'm taking a trip to Florida and the gulf coast in a few weeks, and I'm going to be eating at restaurants for the whole week. What are some good different fish to try? I'm willing to try whatever (no shellfish though, allergic).

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

swickles posted:

I feel for you. I recently moved from South Florida to Pennsylvania and have a devil of a time finding good fish. I can find fresh Mahi and sometimes grouper, but snapper and corvina are tough to track down.

The fish selection is indeed dire, but you might be able to find rainbow trout at farmers markets or supermarkets if you're lucky. That tends to be pretty good.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

CzarChasm posted:

Along those lines then, I'm not a huge fish guy. I eat cod regularly, used to do tilapia on the regular when it was cheaper, and really liked halibut as a kid. I like tuna, but almost exclusively in tuna salad or sushi. I've not had any good cooked tuna dishes. (Yes, I know canned tuna is not raw). I hate salmon in almost any form, but enjoy it smoked every now and again.

So, I'm taking a trip to Florida and the gulf coast in a few weeks, and I'm going to be eating at restaurants for the whole week. What are some good different fish to try? I'm willing to try whatever (no shellfish though, allergic).

Hogfish or Hog Snapper is delicious. They are harder to catch (at least commercially) because they have to be speared, so you only really see them in warm coastal areas.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I 11/10 love pompano, and Florida is where you can catch it. But it is pretty flavored (deliciously) so I dont know if youre going to love it

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Pompano, grouper and snapper are your best bets

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

The worst part is that I live on the coast in Scandinavia. In theory we should get excellent fish, including salmon! But it's all shipped to Southern Europe and what's left is sold at a crazy mark-up.

I have a friend who lives in New Zealand, who routinely complains about how horribly expensive beef and lamb are, despite the huge quantities of those meats that NZ exports to other countries. You'd think it'd be cheaper close to the source, but no.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Wait until you find out about the Irish famine (they actually produced a totally sufficient amount of food, they just had to export it)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have a friend who lives in New Zealand, who routinely complains about how horribly expensive beef and lamb are, despite the huge quantities of those meats that NZ exports to other countries. You'd think it'd be cheaper close to the source, but no.

Yeah when I was in Australia they said all the good stuff was getting shuffled off to Japan

They did have decent steaks locally though

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Split dried fava beans?

Last week I made a cold farro salad with tomatoes, cucumber, feta, and a chimichurri dressing. It was a hit with the family. This week I'm a little short on farro, but I have a 1 pound bag of split dried fava beans. So I'm going to make the same dish with a 50/50 mix of farro and fava.

How do I prepare the split fava beans? Soak and boil like any other beans?

Other uses for split dried fava? I plan to use some to make falafel and hummus (I'm told you can sub garbanzos with fava). What else can I do?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bagheera posted:

Split dried fava beans?

Last week I made a cold farro salad with tomatoes, cucumber, feta, and a chimichurri dressing. It was a hit with the family. This week I'm a little short on farro, but I have a 1 pound bag of split dried fava beans. So I'm going to make the same dish with a 50/50 mix of farro and fava.

Other uses for split dried fava? I plan to use some to make falafel and hummus (I'm told you can sub garbanzos with fava). What else can I do?

Serve them with liver, and a nice Chianti.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Bagheera posted:

Split dried fava beans?

Ful Medames

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I made a really tasty dish with bellsprouts, onions and a smoked kielbasa with kosciusko mustard sprinkled through.
Any ideas on what else to add next time and/or carbs to eat with it?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

wgat

Hauki
May 11, 2010

well, when a bell pepper and a brussel sprout love each other very much

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
In trying to google it I did learn that Bellsprout has Pokedex № 69

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

Serve them with liver, and a nice Chianti.

I like how the people who only watched the lovely movie out themselves.

I ate his liver with some fava beans and a big Amarone.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Liver, wine, and beans would all be big no no foods for someone on MAOI's as Hannibal likely was, given the state of psychiatry at the time. Him describing this meal is him telling Clarice that he's off his meds.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

*Brussel sprouts, I am replaying Pokemon Crystal so had Bellsprout on the brain.
Which leads me to another question...
Would it be vegan to eat a Bellsprout?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

DildenAnders posted:

*Brussel sprouts, I am replaying Pokemon Crystal so had Bellsprout on the brain.
Which leads me to another question...
Would it be vegan to eat a Bellsprout?

Only if it agreed to it first or if you found it already dead.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
This is perhaps a tangentially cooking-related question but I have a pot outside that was shared very happily by Rosemary, Thyme, and Sage plants last year. My understanding is these are plants that will come back annually (I'm in the upper-midwest US so they are quite dormant currently), and I'm wondering if anyone has pointers for how to trim them down to prepare them for Spring. I probably want to encourage more tender new growth rather than whatever the plant naturally wants to do right? The Rosemary in particular grew very heartily and is quite woody at the base. I know very little about taking care of cooking herbs or plants in general.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They're weeds. Occasionally one won't come back.

Generally, for your bug friends, trim down your plants after like a solid good week of weather.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Rosemary is hard to kill, even in the midwest. Thyme likes sunshine, and sage is the fussiest about its moisture.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Desert Bus posted:

Liver, wine, and beans would all be big no no foods for someone on MAOI's as Hannibal likely was, given the state of psychiatry at the time. Him describing this meal is him telling Clarice that he's off his meds.

Lecter is off his allopurinol again!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

DildenAnders posted:

I made a really tasty dish with bellsprouts, onions and a smoked kielbasa with kosciusko mustard sprinkled through.
Any ideas on what else to add next time and/or carbs to eat with it?

The farro salad posted above your question sounds good. A warm potato salad in the German fashion also would be good

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

DildenAnders posted:

*Brussel sprouts

BRUSSELS sprouts.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I love some well prepared brusseled sprouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Accipiter posted:

BRUSSELS sprouts.

**Bellsprouts