Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Aoshima is doing 30 Minute... Cats?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Gripweed posted:

Aoshima is doing 30 Minute... Cats?!

It looks like that one "% furry" image I've seen a few times.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

brand engager posted:

Is it possible to cut out pieces without leaving a mark that needs to be sanded and painted? The dark blues used in the titans color scheme seem really bad about it.

So, lets talk about what the problem is. When you snip off a part, you need to wedge a relatively thick bit of metal into a bit of plastic. This strains the plastic, and when you stress plastic you get microcracks and pulled bits, this strain looks, white, this is indepenant of the color of the plastic. All the ways we deal with this, is to use methods that don't strain things, which is why you see sanding. Paint, hides it.

If I am really interested in making a really good finish... is to trim it, then shave down using a very sharp knife. Or I scrape with the back edge of a blade. Heat, works really well, but you need to be REALLY careful. Plastic glues work too. Tamiya extra thin makes all the stress marks disappear.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://x.com/deltythe73rd/status/1760674004862632297?s=46

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 22, 2024

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Good crabs

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
You, the person reading this post, should purchase and build a Z'gok.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pierson posted:

:hmmyes: My backlog isn't big enough yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pierson posted:

Shut up, I don't have the room, okay? :ohdear:

The space I do have is already earmarked for MODEROID's and 30MM kits...

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

GB4 preorders are up, if you want that collector's edition gunpla.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

...I'm so tempted, because that Gunbarrel Strike Gundam has an amazing paint scheme, but 90 bucks for a game franchise I've been burnt on once before...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pierson posted:

I have a Z'gok-E in my backlog somewhere, which totally counts.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Pyroi posted:

...I'm so tempted, because that Gunbarrel Strike Gundam has an amazing paint scheme, but 90 bucks for a game franchise I've been burnt on once before...

Don't tell me you bought New Gundam Breaker...

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

TaurusOxford posted:

Don't tell me you bought New Gundam Breaker...

I'm sorry to gundam break it to you, but i bought new gundam breaker

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Pyroi posted:

I'm sorry to gundam break it to you, but i bought new gundam breaker

My condolences, but PLEASE do everything you can do erase that game from your memory, cause that garbagefire is not representative of Gundam Breaker.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

TaurusOxford posted:

My condolences, but PLEASE do everything you can do erase that game from your memory, cause that garbagefire is not representative of Gundam Breaker.

Oh, I know, I bought it because I loved Gundam Breaker 3. If I felt like setting my Playstation back up, I'd probably play some of that for nostalgic purposes at this point.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Every now and then the original Gundam Breaker Vita Starter Pack shows up on Yahoo Auctions and I'm always tempted to get it.

I might just settle on getting the Gundam-themed Vita though because it's neat, as I still play GB3 on my OLED Vita.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
After 6 or 7 years I’m getting back into this. I’ve carried a backlog of a few RGs and MGs, plus some partially built stuff (thanks, past me, for finishing this MG nu gundam’s torso and most of the legs).

I have more disposable income now than I did then, so I ordered that Gunprimer “gate remover set”, so it’ll take me twice as long to build stuff probably but at least I’ll have something nice to file and finish with.

Is there any kind of market for an original PG RX-78? I bought one forever ago that I never touched and it’s not clear if it’s worth trying to sell now that the new version of its coming out.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Are the raser tools really worth it over say, this Dspiae amazon brand glass file i have?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Deviant posted:

Are the raser tools really worth it over say, this Dspiae amazon brand glass file i have?

I personally think they are. They use a 'dot' abrasive surface rather than the 'diagonal' abrasive (if you're talking about the Siren), which makes them direction agnostic. I've had a much easier time working with my Raser than with my Siren.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
After months of searching through my stuff, having misplaced some tools during a move, I finally found my godhand nippers, alligator clips, and Gundam markers inside a gag bug out bag I got back in 2016. Still no idea why I thought that was the place to put that stuff but now I can get back to it...as soon as I unfuck my work space.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope

Deviant posted:

I like my dspiae but it tends to get “clogged” and I find it hard to clean, but when it is clean it’s fantastic.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Jxforema posted:

I like my dspiae but it tends to get “clogged” and I find it hard to clean, but when it is clean it’s fantastic.

I blast them with the pressure setting on my sink and that gets it out good if you don't let it sit long

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Deviant posted:

I think it depends on your use case. I've never used them so I can't speak to them, but if you're painting I think it's a waste of money and I find the "premium aesthetic" hobby tool branding to be silly. Every serious modeller I know locally and a few I have talked to at cons don't support the idea either. "Just buy a cheap glass file" and all of that. I use dispiae sanding sponges and they work great. The only serious modellers I have ever seen using one through social media all smell of branding deals so I could just be biased in that direction too.

If you're snap fitting kits and just want to smooth out stress marks and nubs they're probably a fine use case? One decently "premium" product I can see being easier than buying a kit of ten different sandpaper grits.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

MG Rex donezo

this was my first non-bandai model. overall well put together and sturdy but an extremely tight fit while building and especially during final construction. I had to use leverage and my body weight to get the legs in. the plastic warped on the rail gun unfortunately which is why it's got that pinched chopstick look toward the end - I tried several ways of safely relaxing it but alas. you can see I lost one of the knee canisters on the left leg.

lining was an Ordeal, tons of lines, corners, etc. to get the markers into but it really paid off for the effort. decals were microscopic which sometimes caused some failures but I covered them to the best of my ability

moving on to the next project. gotta detail/decal the 30mm shogun then pick something new

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 23, 2024

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Look good. The railgun honestly looks cool like that, it doesn't look like a mistake. I want to pick up the black REX but it is so pricey

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This baby isn't just for show!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Big Bizness posted:

Look good. The railgun honestly looks cool like that, it doesn't look like a mistake. I want to pick up the black REX but it is so pricey

thx appreciate the praise. the gun used to be pinched completely shut that, was the best I could do after a lot of gradual flexing over time. I agree it doesn't look terrible

I wanted to do the original rex actually and even sourced one but it was mondo expensive and there was no way I was manually painting the camo on

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Really good job on the Rex. Built my own last year and man it's a bitch to build isn't it? The tiny little jaw hinge pistols drove me insane, as did trying to slide the armor back of the legs after assembly. Made me realise how much Bandai spoils us.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Brightman posted:

After months of searching through my stuff, having misplaced some tools during a move, I finally found my godhand nippers, alligator clips, and Gundam markers inside a gag bug out bag I got back in 2016. Still no idea why I thought that was the place to put that stuff but now I can get back to it...as soon as I unfuck my work space.

What else are you planning on doing when society collapses?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Pierson posted:

Really good job on the Rex. Built my own last year and man it's a bitch to build isn't it? The tiny little jaw hinge pistols drove me insane, as did trying to slide the armor back of the legs after assembly. Made me realise how much Bandai spoils us.

the jaws were easily the worst part, it took me a long time to get it all aligned correctly and I was constantly worried I was going to break it trying to hold everything in place. it definitely makes you appreciate bandai engineering, for sure

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Waffleman_ posted:

This baby isn't just for show!

The same nu was what got me back into gunpla and it's a really neat kit. I really want to get the RG sazabi and hi-nu now.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I did a Rex a few years back, even painted the whole thing. Ended up throwing it out when I moved because I wasn't satisfied with it and never got around to finishing it (lining and top coating).

Doesn't look as bad as I remember, actually. Though I remember having issues with painting. I painted every part individually before assembling, which made them hard to get together.

I've got the MGS4 version of Rex in my backlog, trying to decide what to do with that. Probably assemble the model and then paint, if I paint. But I've not painted in years, so probably want to get some practice in.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

lolling at the ball you've got between the gun barrels, glad it wasn't just me

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, I just threw some blue tack in there. I think I was planning on cutting out a bit of a clear runner and using that to prop the rail gun open, but never finished it.

I kinda rushed the thing to begin with. I booked a week of work and had nothing to do (just using vacation time that had to be used before it rolled over to the next year) so I decided I would try to fully paint it and assemble it in a week. When I had very little experience with painting.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
My moon gundam arrived! The box is beat to hell, thankfully the contents are safe but what the gently caress. It looks like fedex used it as a football or something.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think the Rex railgun bending is more normal than how it's meant to be because checked my old images and yep here it is on mine.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Pierson posted:

I think the Rex railgun bending is more normal than how it's meant to be because checked my old images and yep here it is on mine.

could be could be, I guess I was expecting it to be more open-mouthed. still needed a little work to keep them from straight up touching. nice job on yours

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cat Hatter posted:

What else are you planning on doing when society collapses?

*godhand shatters* That's not fair... That's not fair at all! There was time now!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Spent the weekend finishing off the this beauty. It's an ancient kit but since the Turn-A itself is actually pretty simplistic it doesn't get held back by old engineering. I really think my next build/purchase will be some kind of lightbox though because I'm sick of my god drat brown window-slats being on every pic I have. I am pretty sick of panel-lining however!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The black panel liner looks great on it. Did you use a .005 pen or one of the fill pens?