Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

A MIRACLE posted:

i think you meant to post int he PIV thread my dude

Shut the gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

The Peccadillo posted:

Tweets. You can see Gazans screaming if you so chose

Why are you posting about it in here?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Sax Solo posted:

Oh you mean the Parker Posie episode. :D I think the last episode is maybe the worst one so no great loss. I think I got what M&MS was going for, but my main problem with it is that they succeeded so well at the relationship trouble part that I was sick of their poo poo too, and I didn't care about either of them by the end.

I saw Dream Scenario last night and liked it well enough, though it's about the heft of an episode of Black Mirror.

You know there's multiple shows whose best episode is a Parker Posie episode

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Peccadillo posted:

Tweets. You can see Gazans screaming if you so chose

Are the tweets in the room with us right now

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

:dafuq:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Drunk posting I was posting wrong. Not sure what I meant to do but I didn't nail it

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

On rewatching Predator 2 I now think its depiction of escalating super crime makes this the prequel to Robocop

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Predator 2 might be the sweatiest movie ever made, just positively drenched. Bill Paxton is sweating through his suit jacket, they're probably even sweating in that deep freezer.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

It's always been amusing to me that the one piece of lore that there is in Predator is that they like hot weather. So Antarctica is of course a natural place for them to build a pyramid.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
at the time there was a lot of concern regarding the effects of holes in the ozone layer on global warming (the last time there was any unanimous agreement on fighting climate change)

between that and skynet the future of 1997 looked pretty uncertain

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Baron von Eevl posted:

Predator 2 might be the sweatiest movie ever made, just positively drenched. Bill Paxton is sweating through his suit jacket, they're probably even sweating in that deep freezer.

That or cool hand luke

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Do The Right Thing has got to be up there.

As well as The Green Mile.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jackass 3 is the sweatiest movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBtZ08FKFSg

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
A Time to Kill is still the sweatiest movie

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

A Time to Kill is still the sweatiest movie

Yeah a top 5er for sure

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
James Spader on the treadmill in Secretary (2002) always comes to mind when I think of sweaty cinema

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
So are we referencing the conversation from the pilot of Cheers or are we actually having this conversation?

Either way: Alien.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I don't understand the people who didn't like the first Villeneuve Dune movie.... It's one of the coolest looking movies of all time in an era when CGI is actually getting worse.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I don't understand the people who didn't like the first Villeneuve Dune movie.... It's one of the coolest looking movies of all time in an era when CGI is actually getting worse.

Same. IMO it's the best sci-fi since the Matrix at least, and one of the most faithful adaptations of the book we could ever hope for in a film format. It's just a perfect / near-perfect film.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mcmagic posted:

Honestly I was just bored by it. It looked good and had a couple scenes I really loved (throat singing Sardaukar? :krad:) but otherwise it just...didn't get weird enough for me! It didn't help that movies split into two parts sucks and leaves me feeling ultimately unfulfilled when I walk out of the theater.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's not even Villeneuve's coolest looking sci-fi film.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I knew going in I wasn’t going to absolutely love it because I am a huge fan of Lynch’s Dune. It was *fine* but I hate how turning sci-fi into a “prestige drama” means making everything drab and brown and grey and uninteresting. You’re showing me a weird alien galaxy, so put some hosed up looking poo poo jn there!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Yeah as a theater experience I really enjoyed it but it wasn't a movie I felt like I needed to watch over and over again

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Started the Blackberry movie. They let howerton off the leash

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

His acting in the scene towards the end when he gets sold out to the feds is really good.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
All of the giant ships and missiles and stuff in villeneuve's dune looked fuckin rad. Unfortunately there was very little of this in the movie, and a lot of time was spent on the arrakis interiors, which were very bland. The soldiers also just looked like an army of master chief clones

Also I prefer the classic triple jawed sandworms to the new kind

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Brocktoon posted:

I knew going in I wasn’t going to absolutely love it because I am a huge fan of Lynch’s Dune. It was *fine* but I hate how turning sci-fi into a “prestige drama” means making everything drab and brown and grey and uninteresting. You’re showing me a weird alien galaxy, so put some hosed up looking poo poo jn there!

OP is upset that the desert movie is brown

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Villeneuve's style has always kind of leaned monochromatic- like, BR2049 has some interesting use of color but Arrival could very well have been black and white without feeling very different. It's a style thing but not really my preference.

I did like how boxy all the ships and tech looked, though. Sort of a sci-fi brutalism and does a decent job conveying the sheer mass and power of everything at work.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

A MIRACLE posted:

I thought he absolutely smashed it in that film. He's the best actor on Sunny, I think, and he really deserves to get more work doing meaty roles

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mcmagic posted:

OP is upset that the desert movie is brown

probably didn't help that i watched lawrence of arabia a few days before and denis's desert photography...suffers in comparison

Sirotan posted:

Honestly I was just bored by it. It looked good and had a couple scenes I really loved (throat singing Sardaukar? :krad:) but otherwise it just...didn't get weird enough for me! It didn't help that movies split into two parts sucks and leaves me feeling ultimately unfulfilled when I walk out of the theater.

yeah it's just not very weird, there's tons of expository dialogue and yet still not enough to understand what's going on, the space politics are cut to the absolute bone, the sword fights are painfully generic when the goofball premise of the shields opens a space to make them into something totally unique. great sounding movie though.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Those dorks in the space suits at the beginning had better not be the actual pilots

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Brocktoon posted:

I've been reading the book this last week and it's amazing how much heavy lifting Lynch did to make Dune visually weird, because the descriptions in the book are almost universally bog-standard medieval stuff.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Well I finished Mr. & Mrs. Smith and it was Really Really Bad. Terrible waste of Parker Posey, constant terrible action and writing that seems to intentionally undercut the terrible action... fundamentally the issue for me is that the two main characters are just unbelievably stupid and terrible at absolutely everything. The plot warps around them to let them succeed for no reason sometimes, but when they encounter problems they're just pathetically, insanely dumb and boring.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
if you thought it was constant action, I'm not sure what show you watched

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Glottis posted:

if you thought it was constant action, I'm not sure what show you watched
?? they waste an insane amount of time on garbage chase scenes and awful fights

like maybe I got particularly exhausted by the last episode stuff going on forever. but for a show that seems to be making a big joke out of how dumb the spy stuff is, they drag out every action scene like 5 times too long

Martman fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 28, 2024

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Gravity is leaving Netflix soon. It's a good sci-fi movie with a non-stop plot about coming home from work.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I would watch a moon base alpha version in a heartbeat

https://youtu.be/io5d-aAck_8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Inspector Hound posted:

Gravity is leaving Netflix soon. It's a good sci-fi movie with a non-stop plot about coming home from work.

This movie in 3D in a theater was like a 90 minute panic attack. I'm kind of glad I didn't see it in an IMAX theater.