Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Augus posted:

New Prince of Persia is fun but man even when they’re making a good game Ubisoft’s dialogue is atrocious lol.
Sargon’s reaction to waking into a room and seeing a literal god towering over him is just to robotically say “I had no idea that there were gods in this temple :geno:

I just figured in this world meeting gods is not that rare and what he said was more like “I had no idea they had opened a Shake Shack in this temple”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Arist posted:

It rules so far, seems pretty huge for a demo too

You weren't kidding, I stopped after the first real mission and preordered but I'm curious how much further it goes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

haveblue posted:

I just figured in this world meeting gods is not that rare and what he said was more like “I had no idea they had opened a Shake Shack in this temple”

https://i.imgur.com/GfyndZq.mp4

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

how is pacific drive not PSVR2 compatible

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That said I was not very impressed with the VA in prince of persia

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

haveblue posted:

Yeah, all the main characters channel the mystical power of the universe on a daily basis, you’ve seen time freeze, and meeting a demiurge is just a normal ritual the royalty does every generation. So, meeting a god of forging is neat but not really something that makes you rethink the nature of existence. Sargon doesn’t have much more reason than Kratos to be shocked at meeting a god.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Except, like, his dialogue does imply that it’s something really unique and unusual. It’s just that he expresses his surprise by basically looking at the camera and going “This is very unique and unusual”

There are lots of other cases of conversations just being really stilted in general. Some really poorly-written tutorials too, like the one for using the air-dash to recover after being knocked back.

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 25, 2024

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

It’s unexpected, but not earth shattering. He’s about as surprised as Kratos is to run into Gaia and that seemed appropriate for the context.

Not that I think that the writing is all that great. Just par for course in video games. Platforming, combat, and level design were sublime though.

I can’t recall any issues with tutorials? All the mechanics were pretty easily to comprehend and I went pretty deep on the combat nuances.

Edit: speaking of hard to understand tutorials though, loving Vagrant Story. Game looks so gorgeous on the steam deck OLED that I’ve committed to actually finishing it for once… but like five hours in and I still feel like I have the dimmest idea of mechanics and am scrapping by.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 25, 2024

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Its designed to keep you on the back foot the whole way through I believe. Vague recollections of the pain and suffering caused by vagrant story, but then also the insane satisfaction when my hand drawn maps and childhood manual spreadsheet practice all came together late game and I could briefly spank it... until a new enemy type came along and all my weapons stopped working.
I do believe I looked up scans of the guide for enemy strengths and weaknesses - that level of trial and error design to figure out why something didn't work in such a punishing game was too much.

I still love it though, such fond memories of the journey I took with that game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

haveblue posted:

That said I was not very impressed with the VA in prince of persia

I played with the Persian vo option, no idea if it was good but it sounded okay lol

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Nearing the end of yakuza 8: like a dragon 2: infinite wealth... i dont want it to go :negative:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Vikar Jerome posted:

Nearing the end of yakuza 8: like a dragon 2: infinite wealth... i dont want it to go :negative:

Perfect time to wrap it up with Rebirth just around the corner!! ;)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

this poo poo still makes me tear up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0sPSgHcURU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Omg pentiment what have I done? What wickedness have I wrought?? drat this game is good

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I love everything about Pentiment, I hope more people get to play it! It caught me completely off-guard, both releasing without much fanfare or hype and being so good

I think they shouldn't have released it in December, which seems like a blind spot for a lot of people, the only worse time to release a game than in December is at the end of December lol

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

Its designed to keep you on the back foot the whole way through I believe. Vague recollections of the pain and suffering caused by vagrant story, but then also the insane satisfaction when my hand drawn maps and childhood manual spreadsheet practice all came together late game and I could briefly spank it... until a new enemy type came along and all my weapons stopped working.
I do believe I looked up scans of the guide for enemy strengths and weaknesses - that level of trial and error design to figure out why something didn't work in such a punishing game was too much.

I still love it though, such fond memories of the journey I took with that game.

I just wrapped it up. Broke down and started following a guide when I got hopelessly lost in the second half, so it went fast than it probably would have otherwise (a bit over 10 hours on the final save).

There's a long chunk in the second part of the the game where you're just looking for keys for doors strewn all over the map with no real guidance. It's okay at first when you're exploring the upper parts of the city which all have unique designs... but a lot of it has you going through identical copy-pasted rooms, so remembering geography is really hard. You'll get cutscenes of doors being unlocked in other rooms, but you won't know which of the identical rooms it was and they'll be really far apart. It doesn't help that the in-game map is terrible and there's no way to view maps of zones you aren't currently in... So yeah, I started using a guide.

The first half of the game was great though. So was the final area (aside from some platforming that was fine with save states but infuriating to imagine doing without). I feel like the door key hunt was added as padding (There's no story progression for that entire stretch) and the game would have been better if it had just skipped it and been a much stronger five hour game.

Still, very fun and very unique experience. Don't think I've played anything else like it. FF7R's combat is the most similar system I can think of and it's still quite different. The art style has also held up incredibly well. Once you get to the town the vibes are really similar to Undead Burg in DS1/The castles in Ueda's games and that was very much up my alley.

They should bring the series back. It could be a more tactical approach to the FF7R series.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Yakuza 8 beaten. Now what, i ask you. Now what. :negative:

(Its good, not sure if its better than 0 imo but its neck and neck. Flows better than 7 did tho.)

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
So yeah Doom Eternal = cool & good, but what other top notch shootmans are there on PSplus?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yakuza 8 down to $40 on Amazon.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
veeg hosed up the end of A Short Hike

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

Yakuza 8 beaten. Now what, i ask you. Now what. :negative:

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://clips.twitch.tv/YummyZanyMeerkatPeteZaroll-RSYqB2wFDZGeZRzk

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

At the current rate games are coming out I'll find time for Armored Core VI sometime in, oh, May?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

decided to give Helldivers 2 a try even though these types of games usually aren't my thing. It's pretty fun tho, the shooting feels very good and the atmosphere is on point. The robot missions can feel like you're playing a horror movie sometimes.
I placed a hellbomb too close to a building so when I activated it my character clipped inside the building and was stuck there, and I had no choice but to just sit there and accept my fate as the bomb went off lol.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Arist posted:

At the current rate games are coming out I'll find time for Armored Core VI sometime in, oh, May?

I was planning to get to it in the early summer but From has other plans.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

fridge corn posted:

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you're saying... Dra.... dragon.. quest.... viii on.... peeesstwo????

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

even tho i couldn't really understand the draw of pentiment, i was intrigued enough to pull the trigger

i have a few little nitpicks but overall it's def fun, unique, and impressive. the sound design is really fantastic. and i love the subtle "wetness" of the ink that basically dries immediately as the words are written down. little details like that in games are so refreshing.

one of the neat things i basically didn't see any post or video describe is the skill checks when trying to persuade an NPC in dialogue. i like how it takes into account things you said so far into how it weighs whether you'll be successful or not.

i don't play many games like this so idk if it's very standard, but these don't feel the same as something like disco elysium or baldurs gate 3.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i like that 90% of the time you give a legal "well actually" due to your law background people hate you

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Vikar Jerome posted:

So you're saying... Dra.... dragon.. quest.... viii on.... peeesstwo????

Absolutely! DQ8 is one of my top RPGs ever, but I also played it when it hit over here at the right time for me etc. Good stuff for sure.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dualsense Edge for 199.99€ (amazon flash deal), yay or nay? I really miss back buttons on PS5 games and I end using a DS4 with back buttons on PS4 games because of that. The only Hall Effect alternative for PS5 is the Nacon Revolution Pro 5 and even that it lacks some basic vibration and sound quality on the port is sub par for 229€.

So, pull the trigger or not?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Fwiw you can get back button mod kits that are way cheaper than an edge, and I think you can avoid soldering if you accept some limitations on remapping. But on the other hand the edge really is the best controller I've ever owned, no modkit or alternative is going to match its seamless integration and premium quality. Or its price lol. But I've also grown to appreciate the trigger travel adjustment sliders, case, and cable attachment clip. And the replaceable sticks mean drift will be cheaper to fix. IMO if you're on the fence then you should probably give in.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 25, 2024

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i like that 90% of the time you give a legal "well actually" due to your law background people hate you

i thought i was being persuasive but yeah turns out that wasn't the right strategy lol.

Guillermus posted:

Dualsense Edge for 199.99€ (amazon flash deal), yay or nay?

yeah

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Just picked up Yakuza 8 & octopath 2 for $70 total.

My queue is now ff7r2, dragons dogma 2, Yakuza 8, then octopath 2 - probably about 400 hours all in, which based on an average 15 hours a week and accounting for my honeymoon, those 4 titles are the only games I will be playing until SEPTEMBER. Not including short indie games I play for a week in between as a palette cleanser. I might hit October before I'm done with these.
What an absolute ripper of a run. Never been so excited for a stretch of back to back games like this before.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That's a hell of a deal!

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Guillermus posted:

Dualsense Edge for 199.99€ (amazon flash deal), yay or nay? I really miss back buttons on PS5 games and I end using a DS4 with back buttons on PS4 games because of that. The only Hall Effect alternative for PS5 is the Nacon Revolution Pro 5 and even that it lacks some basic vibration and sound quality on the port is sub par for 229€.

I'm literally not buying another game until I can get an Edge. I miss back buttons too much. Clicking in sticks is for the birds.

I've seen those kits and it's a bit too much to try without a backup controller in case I screw it up.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
For some reason my LG C3 turns off when Im playing hell divers... every 15 min or so. What the gently caress is going on? I can play Lies of P for hours at a time with no issues, watch tv too, but Helldivers it happens consistently. Is it cause I have my headphones on?

Its insanely annoying

edit - I mentioned the headphones cause I dont play any other games with headphones and maybe its to do with the ARC soundbar?

bows1 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 25, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Turn off HDMI CEC and see if it keeps doing it

Your tv might call it something else depending on the brand because everyone wants to be special, which is one of the many reasons it loving sucks

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Also echoing that the Edge is the best controller I've ever laid hands on. The flexibility it gives you is enormous, especially if you're someone who's had to maneuver around chronic pain. After 15 months of daily use it hasn't failed me yet (though the TPR rubber patch on the grip underside shows signs of delaminating in the future), and it's made every single game I played in 2023 a better experience.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Turn off HDMI CEC and see if it keeps doing it

Your tv might call it something else depending on the brand because everyone wants to be special, which is one of the many reasons it loving sucks

I think it's called both CEC and SIMPLINK on the C3. It causes all sorts of problems and seems to confused every external device so get it off.