Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

EL BROMANCE posted:

A fatal flaw from the brilliant minds at the imperial design department? Could never have seen that coming.

Yeah, kinda like not putting an auxiliary bridge on a ship that's 19km long. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
lego pls

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

gently caress. And here I was looking forward to that set

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Honestly the worst parts of that set are the gearbox and if you ever accidentally get the chain off the gears. The stickers are pretty easy if numerous.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Borsche69 posted:

still to come, the question mark block, the midi falcon and blockade runner, the tie bomber, tie interceptor, and i'm pretty sure i loving forgot i ordered something

I hope you've opened those up and pulled the instructions and stickers out.

Granted, instructions getting all curled/scrunched up is not such a big deal if you just use digital.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

A lot of the models look better when you just ignore some or all of the stickers. The end result looks more "Lego" ... but that's what it is.

And definitely always skip the branding stickers.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Dogen posted:

Honestly the worst parts of that set are the gearbox and if you ever accidentally get the chain off the gears. The stickers are pretty easy if numerous.

I thought this was the upcoming Speed Champion set and was very confused about your post

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Flyinglemur posted:

I thought this was the upcoming Speed Champion set and was very confused about your post

Oh, it is, I guess. Just a glance it looked like the technic motorcycle stickers. Hey bmw stop it with the tricolor M branding already

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022
When your cooking skills are terrible, but it's a wasteland all around and you have no choice but to cook for yourself...

Finally got the photography itch and properly got back into building smaller mocs for photography purposes. Pretty happy with this one actually. Whole thing is on an 8x16 baseplate and is basically a bunch of plates and bricks, a guy and his motorcycle.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

A lot of the models look better when you just ignore some or all of the stickers. The end result looks more "Lego" ... but that's what it is.

And definitely always skip the branding stickers.

That’s how I feel too; I like to pick and choose which stickers. Like I’ll add the racing stripe but mostly try to skip the Shell Oil and the like.

I built another aliexpress speed champions car on the weekend. Really nice build despite some rough parts I had to clean up with model tools. Big sheet of stickers + two figures, four orange cones, and a traffic light.

The Fastest Facl

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Dogen posted:

Hey bmw stop it with the tricolor M branding already
Nein!

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

I hope you've opened those up and pulled the instructions and stickers out.

Granted, instructions getting all curled/scrunched up is not such a big deal if you just use digital.

good point about the stickers but i usually toss the instructions and use the online ones. the only instructions i've saved were for the castle (which is also the only box i've saved). i'll never sell it, but in 20 years when a loaf of bread requires a down payment and the castle is somehow worth an actual house...

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, it's basically my ritual when I get a set to get it opened up and any instructions and stickers laid flat so they're nice when I want to build them. Granted that could lead to misplaced stuff if your backlog is long or you gotta move stuff around.

At the risk of starting the instructions derail again - I've kept most of my old instructions in drawers, but part of me wants to do a purge and just toss a ton of them into recycling, but it still feels weird and wasteful to me.

Similarly, I sort off want to sell off some old sets, but don't really think I want to go through the trouble of actually dealing with selling them.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i didnt know this until now cause i never really considered it, but lego does send out replacement sticker sheets (at least for sets that are still in circulation i assume) so if something comes out the box looking warped/bent, get in contact with support and get a new one

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, it's basically my ritual when I get a set to get it opened up and any instructions and stickers laid flat so they're nice when I want to build them. Granted that could lead to misplaced stuff if your backlog is long or you gotta move stuff around.

At the risk of starting the instructions derail again - I've kept most of my old instructions in drawers, but part of me wants to do a purge and just toss a ton of them into recycling, but it still feels weird and wasteful to me.

Similarly, I sort off want to sell off some old sets, but don't really think I want to go through the trouble of actually dealing with selling them.

selling is kinda dependent on how much effort you want to put in. there's always eBay. tho honestly just listing stuff in SA-Mart and linking to it in relevant threads goes pretty quick too

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, unfortunately the "trouble with selling them" part is largely in packing them up and dealing with shipping them off. Also living in Canada I feel like shipping costs usually suck rear end. I got some big technic sets part of me wants to see if I can find someone in my city to just come pick up as-is via kijiji (craigslist like) but I'm not expecting there to be much of an audience there.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, unfortunately the "trouble with selling them" part is largely in packing them up and dealing with shipping them off. Also living in Canada I feel like shipping costs usually suck rear end. I got some big technic sets part of me wants to see if I can find someone in my city to just come pick up as-is via kijiji (craigslist like) but I'm not expecting there to be much of an audience there.

oh that's totally fair and yeah crossing the border bumps up shipping quite a bit. the true gently caress it who cares is taking pics and selling it as-is lot

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

:canada: Best bet is probably Facebook from what other folks have been saying.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Grandparent got my kid a mind storm Lego 5 in 1 and we are all excited until I couldn't find how to connect it to the app. Then realized he bought set 40413 mini mind storm models that don't actually do anything, not 51515 real one. Woops. Didn't have the heart to tell him

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What’s even more nuts is that some of them get applied to the already printed windshield.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The new 3-in-1 Flatbed Truck with Helicopter is extremely cute. I built it last night and it’s almost entirely “simple” techniques with just a few SNOT sections. But great shaping, especially on the helicopter and the truck. And no stickers! Huge contrast to the Speed Champions I’ve been building lately.

(Alternate models are pretty garbage though.)

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/flatbed-truck-with-helicopter-31146

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I dig how it's the same truck as in set 5571. Which is a model that still holds up well against modern build standards.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

smackfu posted:

The new 3-in-1 Flatbed Truck with Helicopter is extremely cute. I built it last night and it’s almost entirely “simple” techniques with just a few SNOT sections. But great shaping, especially on the helicopter and the truck. And no stickers! Huge contrast to the Speed Champions I’ve been building lately.

(Alternate models are pretty garbage though.)

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/flatbed-truck-with-helicopter-31146

My kid absolutely loved this set. He just put it together yesterday and was really impressed with it.

He also ended up getting the big rear end dreamz house and we spent a couple days (he literally just turned six and was the one putting it together) on it and GOD drat what an impressive set. Wonderful details, aesthetically pleasing as all get out, and despite thinking he wouldn't give a poo poo at all about the little story pictures in the booklet he actually loved them and they did inspire quite a bit of play while he was building.

gently caress yeah dreamz set.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
For fans of Lego mechs, I can highly recommend Mei's Dragon Mech from this year's Monkie Kid lineup. It has great articulation (including functioning knees, which is sadly still not a guarantee for mechs of that size), and the whole maintenance bay thing is a feature that's long overdue. Also, the three little helper robots have a great sense of personality, and are a really nice callback to the small robots you'd get with classic Space sets.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

I'm building this one myself at the moment also. I bought a set of decal tweezers to deal with all this.

Anyone ever build anything from CADA? This being officially licensed by Mercedes Benz makes me curious, assuming that means it's decent quality. I've got a spare shelf and need another 1/8th size car to sit next to the orange Porsche GT3 RS.
https://decadastore.com/products/cada-mercedes-amg-one-c61503w

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I built all their Initial D licensed cars and brickheadz and they’re pretty good… a little less solid than a “real” lego set but with a lot more features. Brick quality pretty good. Instructions reminded me of building sets in the 80s/90s a bit, they’re not as forgiving as modern Lego instructions.

They’ve branched out and acquired more and more licenses for cars recently.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Their 1:8 scale Humvee is pretty insane. The suspension assemblies even use carbon fiber axle pieces. Brickmeet has a build video for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCnbNgTxKN8

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 28, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like how when CaDA makes a car that Lego has not made, they are all "It's a Mazda RX-7" but when Lego has made the car it's "Italian Sports Car"

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
CaDA's orrery is better than the Lego one https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1705985509980361154

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I have the Cada Steamed Bun Shop set but I haven't built it yet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I picked up a cada set a while back and was not impressed with the quality of the bricks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mutata posted:

I have the Cada Steamed Bun Shop set but I haven't built it yet.

Same. I built the tea house, getting the lighting in was annoying as hell but otherwise it's good.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the feedback, all.

Sounds like "it'll probably be just fine" is the verdict, $300 on bootleg Lego is iffy but if the build is as entertaining and the product at the end is recognizable then it's what a decently sized Technics kit costs.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pre-emptive: 9pm PST, 12am EST for the US Legoons who want to know when the new stuff goes live tonight.

Animal Crossing
Snow White
Speed Champions
Medieval Town Square

I think that is the main stuff.

$200 gets you houses of the world series 2 release 1. And I think there is an AC polybag at some lowish amount. (allegedly)

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

$200 gets you houses of the world series 2 release 1.

Is there an image of it? I can’t seem to find it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/flower-store-40680

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Marathon stuff: https://marathon.bungie.org/story/newjan24.html

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Oh god. They’re going to release another 4 huh? Then release that Ninjago stuff too. My wallet can’t handle it!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm just waiting for Ninjago. the HotW I found to be kinda lacking for that $ threshold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Is it possible to just go to a Lego store and buy this? Or do you have to spend the minimum amount and that’s the only way?