Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Feels like it's walking on very well trodden ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Flame of Recca complete! The ending was fine, I guess, although the final fight dragged on a bit and both Recca getting over his chuunibyou and Kaoru reconciling with Kurai and then time traveling felt a bit unearned.

I like what I’ve read of MAR so far. It’s overtly sillier than Flame of Recca - it has a plot line where Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk fights vegetarian werewolves who are stealing his cabbages. I feel like the silly tone works pretty well.

I’ve just gotten to the first fight against the Chess Pieces, and I’m a little confused about their ranks. Phantom is supposed to be their strongest person, so why is his title only First Knight, while the guy the protagonist is already putting up a good fight against is a Rook? And how many members do they have? Probably more than one chess set’s worth, if the Pawns go down that easily. (These are rhetorical questions; don’t spoil the answers for me.)

Edit: The answer to the first question turns out to be that Knights > Bishops > Rooks, exactly the reverse of their value in actual chess. I suspect that the author doesn’t actually play chess.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 23, 2024

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Silver2195 posted:

I just subscribed to the Viz app (not to be confused with the Shonen Jump app). There’s an interesting array of older shojo and shonen stuff available. So far I’ve mostly been reading The Law of Ueki.

I like many of the weird turn-X-into-Y powers, like the main villain’s power to turn any inanimate object into the Platonic Form of that kind of object. The fights are generally clever; they do run into the “protagonist taking too many hits” problem to an extent, but for once we actually get an explanation for this eventually. It also has a really great secondary protagonist in Mori.

My biggest complaint is probably that Ueki’s recklessness gets obnoxious even by shonen manga standards at times, like when he declines the opportunity for healing or training breaks because he’s so mad at the villains that he just has to fight them now (sometimes resulting in a deus ex machina interrupting the fight to force him to take a healing/training break). The characterization of the villains can also get a bit rote; you’d think the premise would allow for a pretty wide variety of motivations, but they end up mostly being variations on people who think that true altruism doesn’t exist and/or that caring about others makes you weak.

So are you going to read Law of Ueki Plus?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Flair posted:

So are you going to read Law of Ueki Plus?

That doesn't appear to be on the Viz app.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I've also been reading some Case Closed (Detective Conan). The whole concept is very strange tonally, isn't it? You have these serious murder mysteries combined with these Saturday-morning-cartoon elements like the inventor neighbor and the chibified protagonist. (Also funny how no one seems to think it odd for a 7-year-old boy to be so comfortable around dead bodies.)

I suspect it will get stale eventually (it's a 1000+-chapter series, after all, and it has a reputation for becoming more formulaic over time), but for now I'm enjoying the twisty mysteries.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like case closed movies because they are invariably 1000% insane. half the time they forget to give the culprit a motive.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Did his crush ever find out about the body swap? The permanent plotline of keeping that a secret (and trying to make the reader invested in that) was probably the dumbest part of that series.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 24, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

No Wave posted:

Did his crush ever find out about the body swap? Keeping that a secret for no reason was probably the dumbest part of that series.

The manga’s still going but last I heard, no

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hiding it from the love interest never really makes a ton of sense. Hiding it from her father? Sure, he's kind of a dink but she seems like she could keep a secret.

I've read a little over half the series and while you can sometimes tell when Aoyama is phoning it in (everybody starts doing a LOT of recapping) it has generally been good. The stories that are the best are the ones that take the characters out of their comfort zones like when Conan can't just knock someone out and have "them" solve the case.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's never any question of the main plot resolving. it's a long term cash cow.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It actually seems like it's moving towards a conclusion

The Black organization seems to be moving in most of the cases going on now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

Flame of Recca complete! The ending was fine, I guess, although the final fight dragged on a bit and both Recca getting over his chuunibyou and Kaoru reconciling with Kurai and then time traveling felt a bit unearned.

I like what I’ve read of MAR so far. It’s overtly sillier than Flame of Recca - it has a plot line where Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk fights vegetarian werewolves who are stealing his cabbages. I feel like the silly tone works pretty well.

I’ve just gotten to the first fight against the Chess Pieces, and I’m a little confused about their ranks. Phantom is supposed to be their strongest person, so why is his title only First Knight, while the guy the protagonist is already putting up a good fight against is a Rook? And how many members do they have? Probably more than one chess set’s worth, if the Pawns go down that easily. (These are rhetorical questions; don’t spoil the answers for me.)

Edit: The answer to the first question turns out to be that Knights > Bishops > Rooks, exactly the reverse of their value in actual chess. I suspect that the author doesn’t actually play chess.

I remember enjoying MAR when I was a kid and the short lived dub came to NA.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Silver2195 posted:

I've also been reading some Case Closed (Detective Conan). The whole concept is very strange tonally, isn't it? You have these serious murder mysteries combined with these Saturday-morning-cartoon elements like the inventor neighbor and the chibified protagonist. (Also funny how no one seems to think it odd for a 7-year-old boy to be so comfortable around dead bodies.)

I suspect it will get stale eventually (it's a 1000+-chapter series, after all, and it has a reputation for becoming more formulaic over time), but for now I'm enjoying the twisty mysteries.

Now that I think about it, Detective Conan shares a bit in common with the Yakuza/LaD series; one minute you're investigating some dark conspiracy involving a murder (and possibly concerning the fate of Japan itself), the next you're looking for some old lady's cat, and no one bats an eye at the tone change

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That’s why even the anime filler isn’t that bad to my recollection since it’s basically just more of the same

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i like case closed movies because they are invariably 1000% insane. half the time they forget to give the culprit a motive.

Oh, they're like most Lupin movies.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's one movie where the moral at the end is that it is very important that the japanese secret police be free to commit crimes without oversight or consequences. this includes how they framed kogorou for terrorism and then never faced consequences for doing so. and of course, there's a magic soccer ball scene. poo poo's wild.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, they're like most Lupin movies.

One of them is literally a Lupin movie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SpacePig posted:

One of them is literally a Lupin movie.

More I was talking about the Chaotic Neutral part of the Lupin Alignment Chart:

They do get pretty strange, it's true.

That reminds me I need to watch Lupin vs. Cat's Eye.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Hiding it from the love interest never really makes a ton of sense. Hiding it from her father? Sure, he's kind of a dink but she seems like she could keep a secret.

It’s a bit reminiscent of a Silver Age American comic, isn’t it? It’s expected that the protagonist gaslights his closest friends and family for flimsy reasons. Not a trope I’m fond of (and fortunately not something I see very often in more recent fiction).

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Undead Unlock fully embracing Avatar is a story beat I didn't know I needed so badly. The reveal of how the Master Rules are all built upon using the first rule is such a cool concept too. Everything involving the UMA Beast fight has been an absolute banger

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's Witch Watch feels like it is making fun of something specific but I don't know what.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Desperate Character posted:

Undead Unlock fully embracing Avatar is a story beat I didn't know I needed so badly. The reveal of how the Master Rules are all built upon using the first rule is such a cool concept too. Everything involving the UMA Beast fight has been an absolute banger

Makes me wonder how the rest are gonna go considering Beast is the first of 10 and it feels like they covered a lot ground already.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mamama showing up again just kind of highlights how weird it is that the cover icon for MamaYuyu has a character who barely makes an appearance in the series. Have to wonder what happened there because the turn away from her happened so quickly.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, I have no idea what's up with Mamama. Based on cover and first chapters, she looks like she was supposed to be a major supporting character, but she was almost immediately written out of the story. I wonder if she was originally supposed to have the role of the old badass guy, because he kinda appeared out of nowhere. I would be really curious about some rumors form behind the scenes about why that happened, or something, because it's pretty egregious.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A character doing an adventure with their mom is an interesting gimmick which just makes it more disappointing that it is all just various harem stereotypes.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I finished MÄR, by the way. It quickly turns into a remarkably pure form of shonen battle manga; most of the manga is one big tournament. Despite this, the tournament's format feels somewhat underutilized; it would be more interesting if the sides were more comparable in numbers and both were seriously trying to win from the start.

It's interesting that the system of powers (almost everyone using magical artifacts instead of innate abilities, with the possibility of using multiple artifacts) is basically the same as Flame of Recca's. One issue with this is that it allows characters to reveal new powers mid-battle that have no particular connection to their other powers. Maybe it would have been better if you could only equip two Ärms at a time.

The fights were rarely outright bad, though. They never dragged on too long and were never confusing.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Man, that takes me back. I think I must have read that manga about 15 years ago at this point.

Jump manga were pretty quiet this week. Sakamoto Days was good but a quick read because it was mostly an action sequence. Still recommending The God Before Me to anyone that thinks a shogi manga could hold their attention. I''m not sure how specialized an audience that must be in Japan so I'm hoping it doesn't get cancelled. Kagurabachi is kind of growing on me too, the art style is a bit rough and it hasn't done anything too innovative yet, but I also would say that it hasn't committed any big blunders.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Akanebanashi hits this week, loved it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

I finished MÄR, by the way. It quickly turns into a remarkably pure form of shonen battle manga; most of the manga is one big tournament. Despite this, the tournament's format feels somewhat underutilized; it would be more interesting if the sides were more comparable in numbers and both were seriously trying to win from the start.

It's interesting that the system of powers (almost everyone using magical artifacts instead of innate abilities, with the possibility of using multiple artifacts) is basically the same as Flame of Recca's. One issue with this is that it allows characters to reveal new powers mid-battle that have no particular connection to their other powers. Maybe it would have been better if you could only equip two Ärms at a time.

The fights were rarely outright bad, though. They never dragged on too long and were never confusing.

That was fast. I do agree that the good guys could have used several more people on their side, because of that the protagonists are not allowed to lose a single round.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 25, 2024

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

A character doing an adventure with their mom is an interesting gimmick which just makes it more disappointing that it is all just various harem stereotypes.

I almost wonder if the gimmick was dropped because early reception was poor and an editor was like "no kid wants to save the world with their mom, get rid of her." And her magic hand was the hand she lost, right? That just completely eliminated her from ever mattering in this series.

Sakamoto Days: the crane sequence was pretty cool

The God Before Me: continues to quietly be a solid manga. I worry about it sticking around, but I'm just going to continue to enjoy it in the meantime

Super Psychic Policeman Chojo: okay, Yugioh is easy pickings but that was still a good chapter

Nue's Exorcist/Shadow Eliminators: :geno:

Akane-banashi:

Jerkface posted:

:hmmyes:

Next chapter is gonna be good

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Jerkface posted:

She's going too deep!

And man, do I ever want to see what she does when she's down here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the fact that pretty much everyone completely despises chojo and are mostly correct to do so is a pretty good hook for a gag manga.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I went from having a profound ambivalence for rakugo going into this comic to thinking that if Akane doesn't make futatsume next week I'm gonna spine buster that mean looking bastard that fired her dad, AND the mean looking middle aged man who left her dad hanging, and ESPECIALLY that fat gently caress senpai of the mean middle aged guy, on top of each other, into a big spine-busted pile

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Jerkface posted:

There hasn't been a bad chapter yet

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jerkface posted:

The series is SO GOOD. It's also nice to have a series where the characters are growing and getting older as it progresses as well.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The series is SO GOOD. It's also nice to have a series where the characters are growing and getting older as it progresses as well.

Blue Box has that too, for current Jump. Been going in pretty much realtime, with Chinatsu in her last year of high school.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Blue Box has that too, for current Jump. Been going in pretty much realtime, with Chinatsu in her last year of high school.

Yeah, there hasn't been any real timeskips in Blue Box, which is a nice change of pace. Only time I can see the series doing one is for a potential finale to see where Chinatsu and Taiki end up post-high school (since I can't see the series continuing as-is once Chinatsu graduates)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This week's Green Green Greens was great. :widowsnypa:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm so pumped for blue box right now. This tournament is going to be wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Shadow Eliminators: It's funny how every monster-fighting/exorcism manga eventually introduces humanoid villains while simultaneously shifting to more arc-based plot structures. I'm not sure how much mangaka plan it that way from the start as an expected trope, as opposed to it being an unplanned change of direction when they realize the monster-of-the-week plots are starting to get stale.

In this case, it might be some of both; the shift may have been planned from the start but happened earlier than expected due to poor ratings.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 26, 2024