Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

By that definition, any political reforms by definitions are also material conditions reforms, because increasing a group's political power also increases their ability to push for policies affecting their material conditions.

You are looking at this from a very "top-down" perspective. In reality, the peasants and workers who marched for bread and land in the streets of Paris, St. Petersburg, or Shanghai were more concerned with getting their basic needs for survival met, than with increasing their group's political power.

quote:

In the French and Russian Revolutions, material conditions were actually a side issue: the primary focus of both revolutions was around dismantling social and political barriers, typically a backlash against the extremely rigid class structures of feudalism.

That may have been what motivated the elites who rode the waves of public resentment against their monarchs, but the public resentment was fueled by impossibly high grain prices, regressive taxes, extremely low pay, unpopular wars that disproportionately affected the poor, etc. These are all material conditions. Had the peasants and workers been fed and paid they most likely would not have risen up against Louis XVI or Nicholas II. Calling these material concerns "side issues" is completely ahistorical.

quote:

In China, as far as I can tell, the initial 1911 revolution was primarily motivated by ethnic resentment against the Manchu elite and nationalistic resentment against foreign involvement in China, as well as a reaction to the failure of various attempts at political reform.

Public resentment in the 1911 revolution was partially fueled by the government's complete inability to deal with crises like the 1906 famine, which killed up to 25 million. That is very much a material condition.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

In the French and Russian Revolutions, material conditions were actually a side issue: the primary focus of both revolutions was around dismantling social and political barriers, typically a backlash against the extremely rigid class structures of feudalism.

Those are material conditions, too. Here’s a way think about it. Have you ever boarded an old battleship or destroyer? Like WWII era. They’ve got these metal placards posted around “Never forget material conditions”. Here they’re referencing the damage control state of the vessel. Very simplified it is: are the water tight doors open or are they shut? That’s the material conditions on a ship

Social and political barriers are open or shut doors. Those are real conditions that exist independently from and outside of one’s consciousness. They’re no less material conditions than the organization of a railroad, or a horizontal global supply chain.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Those are material conditions, too. Here’s a way think about it. Have you ever boarded an old battleship or destroyer? Like WWII era. They’ve got these metal placards posted around “Never forget material conditions”. Here they’re referencing the damage control state of the vessel. Very simplified it is: are the water tight doors open or are they shut? That’s the material conditions on a ship

Social and political barriers are open or shut doors. Those are real conditions that exist independently from and outside of one’s consciousness. They’re no less material conditions than the organization of a railroad, or a horizontal global supply chain.

You have constructed a definition which is impossibly, uselessly, unfalsifiably broad. This is, of course, not a new problem with this line of rhetoric.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 26, 2024

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is racism a material condition?

cause everything comes down to racism in the end

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Discendo Vox posted:

edit: god drat it, let's try a fifth loving time.

You said:

This has been demonstrated to be false. The people who associate with fascists do not do so on the basis of such rhetoric, and are not actually impacted by the economic arguments in question. This has been demonstrated repeatedly, and in the first half of the post you keep alluding to, you already acknowledged it. By internalizing the idea that this element of the rhetoric is a part of what makes it effective, you construct a scenario where there is a fascist appeal rooted in economic arguments, which means that actual arguments about economic policies offered by either fascists or by Democrats stop being relevant; your argument becomes false (because it misrepresents the actual basis of the fascist appeal), and unfalsifiable (because it cannot be corrected by reference to actual policies or outcomes). It also internalizes the fascist framing of economics as a function of status, the very conspiratorial redirection you identified. It is doing this despite already acknowledging that the fascist does not care about actual policy. It's internally incoherent and detached from reality on every level. You are saying "I know this isn't how it works, but it's how it works," and simultaneously, "I know they are lying, but they are telling the truth."

I don't think acknowledging that economic framing is an integral part of fascist movements because it's effective for certain purposes is the same thing as believing said framing.

Economic framing allows them to obfuscate their true intentions and present them as legitimate to outsiders because being out and proud about their true intentions makes the initial hurdle of getting a hearing much higher. If economic arguments had no purpose in fascist rhetoric, they wouldn't bother to make them. Trump wouldn't waste time blathering about reopening steel mills and coal mines and doing trade wars with China and talking about how he's an expert businessman who'll fix America's broken economy.

I'm essentially saying that economic concerns are an effective tool for fascists like dogwhistling is an effective tool for racists. Those who are already part of the movement understand what the movement is actually about, and those outside of the movement can credulously buy the bullshit at face value.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

But racism comes down to excusing the abuse of our-groups for materialistic purposes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Kanos posted:

I don't think acknowledging that economic framing is an integral part of fascist movements because it's effective for certain purposes is the same thing as believing said framing.

It has already been communicated to you, and you have already acknowledged, that the economic framing is not an effective part of the rhetorical framing of fascism. it's a pretense. You already acknowledged it is a pretense. It is not what makes the rhetoric effectve. You have done nothing to show that it is effective, and multiple users, multiple times, have explained that it is not the means by which people engage with fascism.

Kanos posted:

Economic framing allows them to obfuscate their true intentions and present them as legitimate to outsiders because being out and proud about their true intentions makes the initial hurdle of getting a hearing much higher.

You are the only person who is accepting either the prevalence of this framing or its success. You are the person who has constructed and internalized this. Only you.

Kanos posted:

If economic arguments had no purpose in fascist rhetoric, they wouldn't bother to make them. Trump wouldn't waste time blathering about reopening steel mills and coal mines and doing trade wars with China and talking about how he's an expert businessman who'll fix America's broken economy.

Let me make sure you understand what you are saying. Because Donald Trump wastes time blathering about something, you think it must be because it is effective? Why? Why do you think it is effective when you have already been presented evidence that it is not, and acknowledged that it is not?

Kanos posted:

I'm essentially saying that economic concerns are an effective tool for fascists like dogwhistling is an effective tool for racists. Those who are already part of the movement understand what the movement is actually about, and those outside of the movement can credulously buy the bullshit at face value.

You are demanding that we engage with what you know is bullshit at the expense of engaging with what you know is reality.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Anything can be a material condition, or not a material condition, depending on the rhetorical needs of the user.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

You have constructed a definition which is impossibly, uselessly, unfalsifiably broad. This is, of course, not a new problem with this line of rhetoric.

Navy seems do well enough with it. Thus far I’m the only one that’s proposed a definition.

The conditions of reality as it actually exists outside our brains.

Edit : I guess what I’m saying is that when that outside reality can kill you, and it will on ships, one checks and rechecks what actual conditions really are.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 26, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Navy seems do well enough with it. Thus far I’m the only one that’s proposed a definition.

The conditions of reality as it actually exists outside our brains.

Edit : I guess what I’m saying is that when that outside reality can kill you, and it will on ships, one checks and rechecks what actual conditions really are.

Your "definition" is just anything the user wants to be true. It includes whatever the user wants it to, and rejects whatever they want to disregard.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The marxist conception of social base (means of production) and superstructure (literally everything else) seems apropos re: 'what are material conditions.'

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Discendo Vox posted:

It has already been communicated to you, and you have already acknowledged, that the economic framing is not an effective part of the rhetorical framing of fascism. it's a pretense. You already acknowledged it is a pretense. It is not what makes the rhetoric effectve. You have done nothing to show that it is effective, and multiple users, multiple times, have explained that it is not the means by which people engage with fascism.

Yes, it's a pretense, but pretenses are very important when you're attempting to get people to platform and listen to ideas that are generally considered abhorrent or beyond the pale. Understanding the infection vector is nearly as important as understanding the disease itself.

quote:

You are the only person who is accepting either the prevalence of this framing or its success. You are the person who has constructed and internalized this. Only you.

Let me make sure you understand what you are saying. Because Donald Trump wastes time blathering about something, you think it must be because it is effective? Why? Why do you think it is effective when you have already been presented evidence that it is not, and acknowledged that it is not?

It's been pretty demonstrably effective, because this discussion started before I even entered it, has come up repeatedly in these threads in the past, and also appears frequently in the media(the aforementioned NYT Trump Safaris).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kanos posted:

Yes, it's a pretense, but pretenses are very important when you're attempting to get people to platform and listen to ideas that are generally considered abhorrent or beyond the pale. Understanding the infection vector is nearly as important as understanding the disease itself.

It has already been repeatedly demonstrated to you that the pretense is not the means by which people are joining, rationalizing, believing, or identifying with fascism. If it were, the constituent population of fascists would be different.

Kanos posted:

It's been pretty demonstrably effective, because this discussion started before I even entered it, has come up repeatedly in these threads in the past, and also appears frequently in the media(the aforementioned NYT Trump Safaris).

Your examples are people being wrong, you chief among them. You are saying "I know this isn't how it works, but it's how it works," and simultaneously, "I know they are lying, but they are telling the truth," with the addition of "I know I am wrong, but I am right."

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
What’s been shown is that actually having low socioeconomic status doesn’t make you vote Trump.

That doesn’t mean that material concerns aren’t what’s being activated in people who shouldn’t need to be so worried about them but do and therefore vote Trump. It also doesn’t mean that those people don’t use the filled of materialist concerns as an excuse for doing what they want to do anyway.

I agree with whoever said earlier that the rich are the biggest class warriors. People at the bottom of the socioeconomic scale are often forced to think about material concerns, but does it seem so unlikely that all other things being equal they might be people who tend to pay less attention to material concerns than people whose distinguishing characteristic is that they’ve amassed lots of wealth? Ie that the poorer people might be, broadly speaking, in terms of their traits, less materialistic. And that richer people with less to actually worry about may nonetheless put more weight on “my future economic wellbeing” as a reason to vote for a fascist they think will feather their nests? That fascists may be using false rhetoric to appeal to wrongly held material concerns among selfish people all to ready to believe that oppressing others will ensure they can have a bigger house?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Staluigi posted:

very well done people

much like aaron

This one made me puff out my cheeks and exhale, drat. Like it's good, but holy poo poo

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Ms Adequate posted:

This one made me puff out my cheeks and exhale, drat. Like it's good, but holy poo poo

yeah i saw the video and a lifetime of gallows humor as compensation for horrible realities was right there for me

if he has not died yet, he will soon, unless there's some kind of unearthly new technology in burn care i know gently caress all about

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The Artificial Kid posted:

What’s been shown is that actually having low socioeconomic status doesn’t make you vote Trump.

That doesn’t mean that material concerns aren’t what’s being activated in people who shouldn’t need to be so worried about them but do and therefore vote Trump. It also doesn’t mean that those people don’t use the filled of materialist concerns as an excuse for doing what they want to do anyway.

Right, that's more or less what I was getting at. I think the whole idea of "Trump tapped into something that was being ignored and Dems should look into that" has been proven false -- at the very least, after the 2016 election. Trump's appeal ultimately ended up being something much darker that shouldn't be chased by anyone. But I do think there's still a vacuum looking to be filled. The fact that Trump filled the vacuum (only once, hopefully) just isn't necessarily as instructive as many people had assumed.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The lesson of Trump is that there's a lot of unengaged people who can be activated into a passionate base if you actually give them something other than the same old, same old. Just, you know, find a demographic other than frustrated bigots who tuned out because they thought society didn't want to say the quiet part out loud anymore.

There are "every day normal people" Republicans, though they'll almost all tell you they're independents, who you might be able to convince to be better. They largely vote Republican because that's their team and social circle. It's very case by case and you're almost certainly better off looking for an actually cohesive group of politically unengaged people. But you absolutely shouldn't expect to reason with MAGA cultists, Dominionists, Libertarians, Business Ghouls, or Remnant Cold Warriors.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

The Artificial Kid posted:

But racism comes down to excusing the abuse of our-groups for materialistic purposes.

The old saying "everything is really about sex, except sex, which is really about power" is still true, but in America we can also have "everything is really about race, except race, which is really about money."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Ronna McDaniel officially steps down after Trump criticizes her and endorses new leadership at the RNC. The party nominees picking new leadership at the RNC/DNC during an election year is normal practice, but letting Trump do it before the primary is over is basically just an acknowledgement that he runs the party.

She is expected to be replaced by a new co-chair system run by Lara Trump and 2020 Trump campaign official/North Carolina GOP chairman Michael Whatley.

Trump's top campaign aid will take over as COO of the RNC.

The party is also cancelling a planned "election autopsy" to determine what went wrong in 2020 and 2022 for the party.

It is unclear if Ronna will go back to using her previous last name of "Romney" that she changed when she previously took over the RNC.

https://twitter.com/jonallendc/status/1762080401965597002

quote:

RNC Chair Ronna McDaniel announces her resignation

WASHINGTON — Ronna McDaniel said Monday that she will step down next month as chairwoman of the Republican National Committee following former President Donald Trump's endorsement of a new slate of leaders to direct the party.

McDaniel's decision followed Saturday's South Carolina primary and came less than two weeks after Trump endorsed North Carolina GOP chairman Michael Whatley to be the next chairman of the RNC, his daughter-in-law Lara Trump to be co-chair and top campaign aide Chris LaCivita to be the party’s chief operating officer.

McDaniel's decision was first reported by The New York Times.

In a statement, McDaniel said it had been an "honor and privilege" to serve as chairwoman for seven years.

“Some of my proudest accomplishments include firing Nancy Pelosi, winning the popular vote in 2022, creating an Election Integrity Department, building the committee’s first small dollar grassroots donor program, strengthening our state parties through our Growing Republican Organizations to Win program, expanding the Party through minority outreach at our community centers, and launching Bank Your Vote to get Republicans to commit to voting early," she said.

“I have decided to step aside at our Spring Training on March 8 in Houston to allow our nominee to select a Chair of their choosing," she added. "The RNC has historically undergone change once we have a nominee and it has always been my intention to honor that tradition."

Trump hand-picked McDaniel after the 2016 election to serve as RNC chair as Reince Priebus left the post to become his first chief of staff at the White House. She was re-elected to a fourth term in January 2023, fending off challenger Harmeet Dhillon.

McDaniel, 50, was the second woman to lead the RNC. She previously was chair of the Republican Party in Michigan, where she oversaw Trump’s successful 2016 effort in the state.

Trump told Fox News this month that “some changes” were likely at the RNC when he was asked about McDaniel’s performance.

“I think she did great when she ran Michigan for me. I think she did OK initially in the RNC,” Trump said in the interview. “I would say right now there’ll probably be some changes made.”

Scrutiny of McDaniel’s leadership at the RNC ramped up among party activists after the midterm elections in 2022, when Republicans lost several critical Senate and governors’ races. Grassroots activists and conservative influencers upset with McDaniel’s leadership coalesced around Dhillon’s effort to unseat her. But McDaniel offered a show of force ahead of the party’s winter meetings last year, unveiling a list of more than 100 RNC members who backed her for another term, and she easily defeated the challenge.

Criticism of McDaniel’s leadership is focused on her handling of party finances and grassroots efforts. The party’s latest disclosure with the Federal Election Commission showed it was facing a cash crunch, with less than half as much money in the bank as the Democratic National Committee reported at the end of 2023.

Speaking to reporters in Beaufort, South Carolina, last week, Lara Trump was asked whether the RNC would help to pay Trump’s legal bills as he faces prosecution in four jurisdictions across the country.

“Well, I said every penny will go to making sure Donald Trump will be the 47th president, to ensuring that we have great candidates to expand our lead in the House and to take back the Senate," she said, adding about providing funding for his legal expenses, "I actually don’t know where they stand on that."

"Well, I think that his legal bills have already been covered at this point," she said when pressed further.

LaCivita told reporters later in the week that the RNC will not use party funds to cover Trump-related legal expenses.

Calls for change at the RNC ramped up ahead of the party's winter meetings in Las Vegas this month. Charlie Kirk, a conservative activist and a co-founder of the right-wing group Turning Point USA who led the charge to oust McDaniel last year, held a nearby conference dubbed the "Restoring National Confidence" summit — a clear shot at the party.

Some saw the focus on McDaniel's performance as a way for conservatives to redirect anger on the right over Trump's recent electoral failings, particularly in the midterms, after he elevated a number of candidates who embraced his false claims about the 2020 election and ended up losing key statewide races in swing states.

Behind closed doors last winter, two RNC members working on the party's internal review of what went wrong during the previous year's elections argued over whether the results had more to do with bad candidates or a lack of financial backing from the RNC. Tyler Bowyer, an RNC committeeman from Arizona who is also a top Turning Point executive and spoke at the group's summit last week, argued it was the money, while Henry Barbour, an RNC committeeman from Mississippi who co-chaired the autopsy effort, argued the losses were because of candidate quality.

Ultimately, two people familiar with the party's thinking told NBC News last year that a final report was unlikely to be made public, though a draft copy was leaked, and it did not mention Trump.

After Trump secured commanding GOP victories in Iowa and New Hampshire, it was time for the party to rally around him as the "eventual nominee," McDaniel told Fox News following the New Hampshire primary.

Days later, a Trump ally and RNC committeeman proposed a resolution to be considered at the party's winter meetings that would declare Trump the party's presumptive nominee. But after pushback, Trump himself called for the resolution to be scrapped.

Trump's rival, former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, seized on the short-lived effort, referring to it repeatedly on the trail in South Carolina. She has said it showed the party is "clearly not" an honest broker.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The only thing I will remember about her is how she stopped using the Romney name because Trump loving hated Romney’s guts

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The party is also cancelling a planned "election autopsy" to determine what went wrong in 2020 and 2022 for the party.

:yeshaha: literally Never Change, GOP

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

The only thing I will remember about her is how she stopped using the Romney name because Trump loving hated Romney’s guts

Another in the long line of people who debased themselves for Trump and got nothing in return for it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Angry_Ed posted:

Another in the long line of people who debased themselves for Trump and got nothing in return for it.

She got to leave Michigan for 7 years.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Material concerns and racism are not mutually exclusive motivating forces.

If you look at the demographics of trump supporters they're mostly relatively well off, older people who also are for some reason or other disappointed with their lives and economic situation. They often shouldn't be, but that doesn't make their sense of grievance less real, only less justified, which is not the same thing.

People who have actual problems tend to be less likely to fall for bullshit solutions and prefer real attempts to address their problems. People who are whining about fake problems are more likely to fall for con artists peddling fake solutions.
Wow the bolded is utter bullshit. I cannot tell you how many people with real problems fall for con artists peddling fake solutions for real problems, from ‘invest in bitcoin to get rich quick’ to ‘I just got diagnosed with cancer I’m going to go on this fruitatian diet instead of have surgery and chemo’ to ‘I’ll just buy a ton of lottery tickets to solve my financial problems because someone has to win.’

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Oracle posted:

Wow the bolded is utter bullshit. I cannot tell you how many people with real problems fall for con artists peddling fake solutions for real problems, from ‘invest in bitcoin to get rich quick’ to ‘I just got diagnosed with cancer I’m going to go on this fruitatian diet instead of have surgery and chemo’ to ‘I’ll just buy a ton of lottery tickets to solve my financial problems because someone has to win.’

The bigger issue is that a lot of people aren't being offered any actual solutions at all. It's not like we have universal health care or a UBI. If we did, people would like them! We know this because Medicaid and Medicare are very popular among people who have them, as is Social Security.

In the total absence of actual help, yes, people fall for con jobs. They're desperate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/highbrow_nobrow/status/1761926124588687546

So here's Donald Trump all but admitting he took documents with the expectation that the federal government would pay him to get stuff back.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm just going to reflexively assume that it's not true that Nixon sold $18 million of documents back to the feds, so what's the real story there?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

haveblue posted:

I'm just going to reflexively assume that it's not true that Nixon sold $18 million of documents back to the feds, so what's the real story there?
My guess is that was for his memoirs

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

haveblue posted:

You're instinct looks to be right. They didn't pay $18m to get the documents back. It was a settlement for claims that the Watergate tapes and other materials that were seized without compensation. And even then, 6m of that was for improvements to the Nixon Library.

quote:

WASHINGTON —

The federal government has agreed to pay $18 million to the estate of Richard Nixon to settle claims that the Watergate tapes and other presidential materials were improperly seized by the government in 1974 without compensation.

The out-of-court agreement, climaxing a five-month civil trial that ended last year, would result in $6 million in improvements and expansion for the Richard Nixon Library & Birthplace in Yorba Linda, Calif., and paves the way for copies of his White House tape recordings and papers eventually to be made available at the Orange County facility, officials said.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2000-jun-13-mn-40455-story.html

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Thank you for making all of my arguments significantly better than I ever could, hah.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Velocity Raptor posted:

You're instinct looks to be right. They didn't pay $18m to get the documents back. It was a settlement for claims that the Watergate tapes and other materials that were seized without compensation. And even then, 6m of that was for improvements to the Nixon Library.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2000-jun-13-mn-40455-story.html

Isn't this also what led to the Presidential Records Act being created?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
"I'm sure you didn't poo poo your pants on stage. What was the explanation for what happened that our viewers will 100% buy and you'll be off the hook."

"I poo poo MY PANTS AND EVERYONE LOVED IT!"

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
I'm pretty sure that Hannity interview is several months old at this point.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, addressing material concerns is prophylaxis and prevention, not cure, for fascism. It also, you know, helps people, which is nice.
This bolded bit seems to have gotten missed over the past couples days of discussion. It's possible, likely even, that better economic situations would help sway people away from Trump (after all, even though Clinton won the actually economically anxious white working class it's not as if it was by a 90-10 margin) -- though the gap between economic sentiment and actual economic figures over the past year should throw some frigid water on that theory -- but even if it doesn't, improving material conditions is still a good and the right thing to do.

The reason I chimed in with my initial post is that sometimes people take the basic fact ("material conditions should be improved") and twist that in to the actual cause or rhetoric they support... for example when someone who routinely handwaves away the blatant racism of the pre-Trump GOP (like Philadelphia, MS or bleugh people and their foodstamps) tries to cast Trump as the fault of elitist libs mocking the economically anxious. "We should work to improve material conditions" shouldn't necessitate we accept the bullshit in silence just because some Trump voters are legitimately economically anxious and some libs are elitist trash. When the overall theory has been debunked, pointing out that the pushed narrative is built on lies doesn't mean we can't advocate for improving material conditions anyway.

The second part of the two step, when pushed by "former" Republicans (or, as we'll see below, well regarded progressives who happen to fawn over bigots) is always that electoral success and improvement in material conditions will come from setting aside cultural disagreements.

For instance, how important is breaking up big tech?

Important enough, according to Matt Stoller, that we ought to partner with the worst of the right-wing trash.

quote:

“Consolidated corporate power is the biggest problem that we’re facing right now in our politics,” said Matt Stoller, research director at the anti-monopoly group American Economic Liberties Project, who regularly works with populist figures on the right, including APP. He said divisions within both parties about antitrust changes mean that supporters “have to cobble together a majority.”
Seems logical enough, and it's probably no big deal, let's take a look at Statt Moller Anonymous Antitrust Progressive Strategist's take

quote:

One progressive antitrust advocate, who requested anonymity to discuss the dynamic candidly, said that given they have the same goal as APP on this issue, “there’s no reason to be oppositional to them out of spite.”

But who is the APP?

quote:

The American Principles Project is one of the only right-leaning groups agitating in favor of overhauling trust-busting laws to rein in Google, Facebook, Amazon and Apple. In theory, that would make it a useful ally to Democrats who need bipartisan support to revamp U.S. antitrust laws.

But the group, known as APP, first and foremost brands itself “America’s top defender of the family,” lobbying in favor of bills that ban transgender girls from participating in high school sports and prevent trans children from receiving any type of gender-affirming care. (Medical associations, including the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Medical Association, support certain gender-affirming care for adolescents such as counseling or providing medication that delays puberty.)

APP President Terry Schilling has called pediatricians who provide gender-affirming care “groomers,” meaning pedophiles, and referred to transgender women as “ biological males who believe they are women.” The group has also delved into racial issues, describing the Black Lives Matter movement as a “rhetorical Trojan horse” pursuing “an identiarian race-based caste system” for the U.S.

Remember kids, when the goal is breaking up big tech, you'll have to break a few eggs (trans rights, racism, medical autonomy) to make an omelet for your new besties who oppose big tech for censoring conservative opinions ("lower taxes?" "No, you know the ones") and antivax bullshit. You shouldn't worry though, I'm sure it's mostly rhetori---

quote:

Another Democratic strategist who works on antitrust issues said the Democrats need support from populist Republicans to push bills across the finish line, so “intel sharing across a variety of groups of varying ideologies is vital.”

Sharing intelligence with overt fascists has never gone wrong in the past, right?

This is all tl;dr for "do material conditions motivate political and movement behavior?" is an interesting enough question but "no war but class war" "no topic but class topic" feeds in to the goal of garbage across the political spectrum by leaving the actual lies - about accommodating and making common cause with bigots and fash - accepted or, at best, unchallenged.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Discendo Vox posted:

The pretense is effective in as much as it convinces the media to look sympathetically at racists because they accept the pretense at face value. And the pretense is effective in giving moderates/centrists/"non-MAGA" Republicans the ability to deny their own inherent racism and convince themselves that they're not racist, actually while supporting policies that are implicitly and explicitly racist/anti-lgbtq and/or fascist.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Paracaidas posted:

This is all tl;dr for "do material conditions motivate political and movement behavior?" is an interesting enough question but "no war but class war" "no topic but class topic" feeds in to the goal of garbage across the political spectrum by leaving the actual lies - about accommodating and making common cause with bigots and fash - accepted or, at best, unchallenged.

Im not sure why working with bad people towards a good end is inherently bad, the way you seem to feel it is? That is something literally anyone who improved things politicially has done. I can understand the important of limiting how much you empower their ability to so unrelated bad stuff, and why intelligence sharing could be a problem, but productive effort towards mutual good goals should be the goal, since you're never gonna get anything done by limiting yourself to working with people you agree with on everything.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

GlyphGryph posted:

Im not sure why working with bad people towards a good end is inherently bad, the way you seem to feel it is? That is something literally anyone who improved things politicially has done. I can understand the important of limiting how much you empower their ability to so unrelated bad stuff, and why intelligence sharing could be a problem, but productive effort towards mutual good goals should be the goal, since you're never gonna get anything done by limiting yourself to working with people you agree with on everything.
There's a massive gap between "people I agree with on everything" and the poo poo that APP advocates for. I think we all have a threshold for what's tolerable disagreement but if anyone includes "giving lifesaving medical care to trans youth is pedophilia" and "trans is a mentally ill delusion" as tolerable, then they're poo poo people. And deluded themselves... From someone focused on the work rather than Stoller's years long campaign to paint segretationists, insurrectionists, and bigots as allies-in-waiting:

quote:

“It doesn’t make sense to work with someone that doesn’t share our values and doesn’t share our goal,” said Jeremie Greer, co-founder and executive director of economic rights group Liberation in a Generation. “I don’t think we’re fighting for the same thing.” Greer argued that the push for antitrust reform is essentially about increasing equality and strengthening democracy — and a group fighting against LGBTQ and minority rights is fundamentally opposed to that work
The work you accomplish with these allies is not going to be the work you think it is. If you're lucky, it might be adjacent... We see it literally right now with KOSA.

Blumenthal's press release posted:

“Our bill provides specific tools to stop Big Tech companies from driving toxic content at kids and to hold them accountable for putting profits over safety,” said Blumenthal. “Record levels of hopelessness and despair—a national teen mental health crisis—have been fueled by black box algorithms featuring eating disorders, bullying, suicidal thoughts, and more. Kids and parents want to take back control over their online lives. They are demanding safeguards, means to disconnect, and a duty of care for social media. Our bill has strong bipartisan momentum. And it has growing support from young people who’ve seen Big Tech’s destruction, parents who’ve lost children, mental health experts, and public interest advocates. It’s an idea whose time has come.”

Hell yeah, big tech shouldn't be allowed to commit and profit off such blatant public harms. This is a motive I genuinely agree with. Let's check in with his bipartisan coauthor

quote:

Well, there are a couple of things, of course, protecting minor children from the transgender and this culture and that influence. And I would add to that watching what’s happening on social media.

And I’ve got the kids online safety act that I think we’re going to end up getting through, probably this summer. This would put a duty of care and responsibility on the social media platforms.

And this is where children are being indoctrinated. They’re hearing things at school and then they’re getting onto YouTube to watch a video. And all of a sudden this comes to them, um, and they’re on Snapchat, or they’re on Instagram and they click on something and the next thing you know, they’re being inundated with it.

Oh. Turns out that in order to get Republicans on board we had to class "trans culture and influence" as a public harm. Oh well. I'm sure that's the only downside

quote:

“I view [KOSA] as a blank check for Attorneys General to be able to intimidate in any way that they can,” Philips told Jezebel. “They wouldn’t even need to necessarily pass this [state] legislation if you give them this tool,” she said, referring to proposals in Texas and South Carolina.

Galperin agreed that sites are likely to over-censor or “comply in advance” in order to avoid lawsuits. “To people who say, ‘Oh, surely the platforms will not do this,’ I recommend taking a look at the way that platforms have responded to SESTA/FOSTA,” Galperin said. She’s referring to the 2018 bills Stop Enabling Sex Traffickers Act (SESTA) and Allow States and Victims to Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act (FOSTA), which were ostensibly meant to fight trafficking but resulted in the censorship of sex workers.

Philips also made the comparison to SESTA/FOSTA: “Sex workers in this case are calling attention to KOSA for the same reasons—they’re saying that this is going to be a tool for censorship and I believe them. We should believe them. They are proof and have been on the ground trying to call attention to how bipartisan efforts to censor the internet have affected the most marginalized people on the internet.”

KOSA “in some ways is more of a threat,” said Venzke. “Whereas SESTA/FOSTA tied much of its liability to federal criminal law, there is nothing in KOSA that so limits the legislation’s scope.” KOSA is about mitigating harms from anxiety and depression, which is extremely broad and subjective: “The portions of the duty of care are untethered to any particular legal definitions.”
This is what happens when you work with bigots to constrain big tech. It's what happens when you're enough of a moron to believe that their antitrust concerns are genuine and look at all like yours as opposed to fighting the woke social media that's transing our kids. You get a bill that's markedly worse than the status quo and harms millions of Americans but hey, at least you put big tech in their place proactively punishing anything the GOP sees as deviant in a much harsher and more universal way than they are already inclined to

I'm down with anyone who wants to vote for and advocate for a good bill that doesn't actively create harms. The downside of seeking common cause with bigots and fash like the APP and Blackburn is they're in it FOR the harms. And the downside of a lot of the Democratic party is they've repeatedly shown themselves willing to throw people under the bus if it accomplishes their priorities or campaign promises or makes their donors happy.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Cimber posted:

Can someone explain to me why the media reports that when Trump scores 60 percent of the primary votes its an amazing victory for him, but if Biden doesn't score 90 percent he's washed up and it's game over for the democrats?

Because the media wants a horserace, and Biden is unpopular among liberal momeyed interests.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

AsInHowe posted:

Because the media wants a horserace, and Biden is unpopular among liberal momeyed interests.

It's more that the media has a mostly out of date focus on "home states" and Trump beating Haley by 19 points in her "home state" is a huge and embarrassing victory in the narrative. Even disregarding the fact that "home state = victory" hasn't been true for a long time, Haley also hasn't been elected to office in South Carolina for a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

AsInHowe posted:

They don't just want a horserace, they want a Trump victory. Crazy Donny's Three Ring Circus Of Chaos was a money-geyser for news ratings and viewership and subscriptions and engagement metrics and advertising revenue (most political and news websites have seen traffic drops of 30-50% between the Trump and Biden eras), and they want that back. Everyone living in existential dread and constantly doom-reloading news sites and twitter was really good for business!