Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Meme Emulator posted:

but it’s a different argument when you’re trying to say why “they will come and rescue me” should be rendered as “verily in mine heart and soul I believe they will cometh….”. It’s not self evident anymore and you’re gonna have to convince me.

even beyond subjective preference, you cannot have this argument in a vacuum. if the character speaking is royalty and said the former i would think tonally it falls flat and feels too plain to fit their appearance, while the latter i wouldn't bat an eyelash at (with a bit of tweaking to make it not sound so hyperbolic). conversely if a rather plain-looking character said the latter i'd either think it's supposed to be an ironic gag character or the TL is just very pretentious. hell i'd say it even differentiates the voices you hear the character dialogue in. going back to the original Twitter post, Renault in my head with the literal JP translation sounds far more gruff than the EN translation which carries a softer, more reserved tone to me. obviously without the context of who the character is i can't say for sure which works better, but if they're a character of high class than why wouldn't you dip into purple prose to get that across better

in conclusion, you are gay

symbolic fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
check out the funny face this girl makes when she thinks she's going to get murdered. sound euphonium is good

https://i.imgur.com/kc8gKgG.mp4

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

The era of really bad translations is dead and buried, and honestly that’s probably why the argument can get so strong now. Twenty years ago bad translations were self evident. Nobody had to argue that ‘this guy are sick’ and ‘move zig’ were bad, and it’s trivial to convince people it is wrong or should be changed.

but it’s a different argument when you’re trying to say why “they will come and rescue me” should be rendered as “verily in mine heart and soul I believe they will cometh….”. It’s not self evident anymore and you’re gonna have to convince me.

I think that I don’t have to try and convince you, because that would give your opinion the validity it doesn’t deserve

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Big Leg posted:

check out the funny face this girl makes when she thinks she's going to get murdered. sound euphonium is good

KyoAni ftw

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

so I started watching one piece again at last

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

its the name of the treasure in the grand line

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Namtab posted:

I think that I don’t have to try and convince you, because that would give your opinion the validity it doesn’t deserve

The validity it doesnt deserve lmfao. Are we talking about life and death situations here you drama queen?

symbolic posted:

even beyond subjective preference, you cannot have this argument in a vacuum. if the character speaking is royalty and said the former i would think tonally it falls flat and feels too plain to fit their appearance, while the latter i wouldn't bat an eyelash at (with a bit of tweaking to make it not sound so hyperbolic). conversely if a rather plain-looking character said the latter i'd either think it's supposed to be an ironic gag character or the TL is just very pretentious. hell i'd say it even differentiates the voices you hear the character dialogue in. going back to the original Twitter post, Renault in my head with the literal JP translation sounds far more gruff than the EN translation which carries a softer, more reserved tone to me. obviously without the context of who the character is i can't say for sure which works better, but if they're a character of high class than why wouldn't you dip into purple prose to get that across better

in conclusion, you are gay

I agree with you 100% about the vacuum situation. Also I wasn’t expecting something as inoffensive as what I said to get such a strong response from everyone. Did I gently caress a shibboleth up? Does taking that side make people think I’m alt right or something lol?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 26, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the unicorn overlord tl is a bit flourishy but if you translated it really directly it'd just be kinda boring and it's not really doing a war of the lions thing where everyone's getting comically shakespearified

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Meme Emulator posted:

The validity it doesnt deserve lmfao. Are we talking about life and death situations here you drama queen?

I agree with you 100% about the vacuum situation. Also I wasn’t expecting something as inoffensive as what I said to get such a strong response from everyone. Did I gently caress a shibboleth up? Does taking that side make people think I’m alt right or something lol?

No it's cause your argument is just kind of dumb on this specific instance and also in general and its weird to get this mad about the translators 'making things up' when it's just having the noble speak like a noble.

Like.the horse line isn't even that archaic.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 27, 2024

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

adding lol and lmfao to your posts prove you are definitively not mad

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

copy posted:

drat i cant believe twitter people have no reading comprehension thats crazy

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Big Leg posted:

im looking forward to season 3 this year

they kinda stopped doing those funny faces after season one though, not sure why

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

symbolic posted:

KyoAni ftw

:hai:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Meowywitch posted:

It's true lol

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

symbolic posted:

KyoAni ftw

heck, i agree.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just kinda hope I come across deadpan enough that I don't need lols

copy
Jul 26, 2007

i type lol when im laughing and sometimes i notice ive like bookended a post with lol and hell that makes me laugh too. good way to be

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

this but genuinely

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arist posted:

Translation is an act of adaptation, of interpretation. It is a process that inherently flattens meaning, connotation, context, and flavor. A good translator understands this and can re-inject those concepts back into the text through clever word choice.

if you study translation in school at all you probably read Antoine Berman and his "twelve distorting tendencies of translation" is really cool

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Namtab posted:

Game needed more robot fights, less repetition

if there is any one thing 13 sentinels could have used more of it was not robot fights

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It needed fewer characters, and more of them should have been gay.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

It needed more of that guy talking about how good yakisoba pan is, how he wants more of it, etc.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
anyway translation discourse sucks for a number of reasons, mainly owing it to being an extremely complicated field with a lot of nuance and historical theory that gets either a) boiled down to dumb culture war poo poo, or b) involves people bringing up concepts as new, when they are literally millennia old (the concept of "word-for-word" versus "sense-for-sense" translation was written about by Cicero).

there are a lot of interesting debates you could have on what the role of a translator "should" be, but try having that on the internet

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It needed fewer characters, and more of them should have been gay.

i don't think i mind any of the characters but yeah it's funny that for as cool as the gay couple is among the entire rest of the cast they all get incredibly straight pairings. there's that time they make like. one gay joke with two characters. and that joke is better than the actual relationships both of those characters were set up with

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if you study translation in school at all you probably read Antoine Berman and his "twelve distorting tendencies of translation" is really cool

Feels Villeneuve posted:

anyway translation discourse sucks for a number of reasons, mainly owing it to being an extremely complicated field with a lot of nuance and historical theory that gets either a) boiled down to dumb culture war poo poo, or b) involves people bringing up concepts as new, when they are literally millennia old (the concept of "word-for-word" versus "sense-for-sense" translation was written about by Cicero).

there are a lot of interesting debates you could have on what the role of a translator "should" be, but try having that on the internet

this is actually interesting info on the topic, ty

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also a lot of translation theory is kind of theoretical (duh) and runs into the wall that is: the practical realities of having to sell a mass-market product to gamers/film viewers/readers.

legitimately, apart from dumb culture war poo poo, i think a big reason for tension now is that - because manga/anime is now more popular in the mainstream, the amateur conventions on translating JP pop culture (non-standard use of subtitling, extensive translation notes, use of more aspects of the source language) are kind of being subsumed by the "standard" way of translating pop culture, which prioritizes "fluency" and "smoothness" of the translated text above all.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

legitimately, apart from dumb culture war poo poo, i think a big reason for tension now is that - because manga/anime is now more popular in the mainstream, the amateur conventions on translating JP pop culture (non-standard use of subtitling, extensive translation notes, use of more aspects of the source language) are kind of being subsumed by the "standard" way of translating pop culture, which prioritizes "fluency" and "smoothness" of the translated text above all.

this feeds back into the "honorifics debate"

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

also studios and AI and cutting costs so its easier that some two-bit ameatur 'translator' might easily worm their way in official projects that you can't use the argument the blanket statement of 'oh translation is complicated' when its no, they literally just suck at it.

for the twitter post, I'm on neither side, since its just a two-line example with no context, and have no idea how the rest of the game is, since there are sometimes characters that talk like that and only that character because that's their tic.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 26, 2024

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
to translators: if the thing you're translating has a cultural reference you don't understand, how long does it take you to look up that information on the internet? if, in what I presume is a rare instance, the internet is unable to provide an adequate answer, what do you turn to next?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Namtab posted:

I just assumed you’d bought a self portrait

I ain't fat bitch

copy
Jul 26, 2007

reminded of the fan translation of golden kamuy and the godly tl notes at the end of the chapters they put in

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the notes at the end of Dogsred chapters explaining hockey terms because I can do the Leo Pointing meme.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Coaaab posted:

to translators: if the thing you're translating has a cultural reference you don't understand, how long does it take you to look up that information on the internet? if, in what I presume is a rare instance, the internet is unable to provide an adequate answer, what do you turn to next?
In my experience it doesn't tend to take too long, usually around 10 minutes of light research. A google search of the phrase in question typically spits out some japanese site that helpfully explains its meaning and connotations. Occasionally I do fall down a multi-hour rabbit hole on chinese poetry but that's fairly rare.

Failing that, it just comes down to asking someone. For my Matazoro manga fan tl I was privileged enough to work with a veteran tl checker who really knew his stuff, but at times I'd just throw questions out onto a translation discord

Admittedly it usually wasn't cultural references that stumped me though as much as the wide and colourful world of japanese onomatopoeia

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GateOfD posted:

also studios and AI and cutting costs so its easier that some two-bit ameatur 'translator' might easily worm their way in official projects that you can't use the argument the blanket statement of 'oh translation is complicated' when its no, they literally just suck at it.

this does not happen.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Reminded of a small controversy during the Wild West days of web novel/light novel fanslations when web novels weren’t so mainstream or all translators condensed to one big portal site and everyone had their own blogs releasing chapters.

One translator took it upon himself to play editor and would re-arrange passages, sometimes inserting info from future chapters because he stated he thought things were poorly written in some parts. Or needed better foreshadowing.
Probably right because it’s a byproduct of Chinese web novels at the time where you were expected to always release daily chapters as content or risk losing followers, so some chapters had lots of repeat exposition to fill it out sometimes. Others argued that it wasn’t up to him.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if a bad translation happened because a "bad translator wormed their way in" it wouldn't need ai as an excuse, lovely translations as a result of a studio having no real quality standards has been happening for decades. literally the defining thing about the localization teams at a company like sega, atlus or square enix is that they don't do that poo poo and if they did it'd cause huge rumblings across the entire industry

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

On the subject, really fascinated by this common perception I see among idiots that translators and localizers are separate groups of people and the latter typically don't even speak Japanese, existing purely to filter the pure and unsullied "faithful" translations

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
as we all know, final fantasy 7 has a bad translation because of ai

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you want a good example to point to for weird quality standards that isn't just the kind of more rushed, underedited poo poo nisa or aksys put out nintendo exists as one that routinely makes strange choices whenever they're working on something that isn't an internal project. they don't need ai to make their translations weird they just make strange calls entirely on their own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I like the notes at the end of Dogsred chapters explaining hockey terms because I can do the Leo Pointing meme.

dogsred owns so hard. nihei transcends time and genre