Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

I will never accept "Ultimate"

This is the hill I die on

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ultimate is definitely snappier but it simplifies it down too much and loses the associated humor behind the original title. which again is a general problem with the nisa translations for danganronpa, they don't actually flow better and they mess up with some of the actual jokes that were present in the existing scripts

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

there was a similar drama about fata morgana of all things lol. a character is said to have a "fragile male ego" whereas in japanese they were just called a tsundere. the phrasings a bit weird but it was a pretty good change given the character it was refering to imo.

Waffleman_ posted:

ya it stinks

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Colonel posted:

ultimate is definitely snappier but it simplifies it down too much and loses the associated humor behind the original title. which again is a general problem with the nisa translations for danganronpa, they don't actually flow better and they mess up with some of the actual jokes that were present in the existing scripts

i dont necessarily like ultimate but I don't know how to translate 超高校 into English either, so :shrug:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dongicus posted:

there was a similar drama about fata morgana of all things lol. a character is said to have a "fragile male ego" whereas in japanese they were just called a tsundere. the phrasings a bit weird but it was a pretty good change given the character it was refering to imo.

yeah iirc the justification was that "tsundere" has specific english connotations due to it basically being a loanword that made it inappropriate to use in that manner which is completely fair

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The people mad were also people who never read it in the first place.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i just remember people acting like the concept of the "fragile male ego" being invented in the last five years. i dont want to say "read a book" but read a book

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saagonsa posted:

Guess what parts I had a problem with :twisted:

(It was calling【敗者】"Luther" and not "Loser")

agreed, that was a shame

man, rip billy kamitz...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Meowywitch posted:

i dont necessarily like ultimate but I don't know how to translate 超高校 into English either, so :shrug:

You could just keep it as goofy as the original "super high-schooler" which works better because "ultimate" implies that these kids are the best at their subject matter period, and while that was sometimes true it was often moreso just "they are really good for highschoolers, not complete pros" and it kinda adds to the goofy tone of the series as a whole.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Meowywitch posted:

i mean it literally is just super high school. that's all those kanji mean when put together. if you want to find a snappier alternative you want to find something that at least preserves the flavor a bit and while ultimate maintains the general meaning it doesn't maintain the inherent silliness there.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

yeah it's just wordy in English

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

My favorite bad NISA translation is still Ys 8 Archeozoic Big Hole

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Funny that we're approaching a second modern falcom game getting a major TL overhaul

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

did it happen again?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

The era of really bad translations is dead and buried, and honestly that’s probably why the argument can get so strong now. Twenty years ago bad translations were self evident. Nobody had to argue that ‘this guy are sick’ and ‘move zig’ were bad, and it’s trivial to convince people it is wrong or should be changed.

but it’s a different argument when you’re trying to say why “they will come and rescue me” should be rendered as “verily in mine heart and soul I believe they will cometh….”. It’s not self evident anymore and you’re gonna have to convince me.

It's bc she's an ojou sama and talks like one and the machine tl doesn't depict that you dumb bitch

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kild posted:

It's bc she's an ojou sama and talks like one and the machine tl doesn't depict that you dumb bitch

Just noticed she's literally ending her sentences with わ, lol.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Fortunately most of the doggy translations can be fixed by playing it in jpn audio and you can pick out the desu~wa characters yourself or the kansai-ben or ones that talk like a courtesan

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tales of Woe posted:

did it happen again?

akysys is going back to clean up the tokyo xanadu translation, again

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

The era of really bad translations is dead and buried, and honestly that’s probably why the argument can get so strong now. Twenty years ago bad translations were self evident. Nobody had to argue that ‘this guy are sick’ and ‘move zig’ were bad, and it’s trivial to convince people it is wrong or should be changed.

but it’s a different argument when you’re trying to say why “they will come and rescue me” should be rendered as “verily in mine heart and soul I believe they will cometh….”. It’s not self evident anymore and you’re gonna have to convince me.
the person making those complaints doesnt even know japanese you moron, and neither do you

'we completely fell for it' is a literal translation of this line that google translate spits out

however what's actually being said here is, 釣られ. which uses the kanji, 釣. this means angling, fishing, getting hooked (by fishing bait.) the character is saying he got baited and hooked like a fish. the translation keeps this. the google tl he spits out does not.

sit down and shut the gently caress up about poo poo you dont understand.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Sorry but super high school level is just real cringe in English whereas ultimate is a good word to use. That’s translation

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I like dangan ronpa but if you joined this site for it then I’m going to suplex you

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Namtab posted:

I like dangan ronpa but if you joined this site for it then I’m going to suplex you

i joined the site to help slowbeef navigate in metroid prime (because he got lost in straight hallways)

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Meowywitch posted:

i joined the site to help slowbeef navigate in metroid prime (because he got lost in straight hallways)

lmfao watching slowbeef play super metroid with scarboy and diabetus is one of the first things i did here back in the day

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and if you were getting probed for this six years ago im sure the flashcard program you launch every 13 days so you can say you're 'learning japanese' as you hit the translate tweet button on jp fanartists talking about their dinner would be a more worthwhile use of your time then crying about poo poo you barely grasp

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oWZY65-Hw8

A classic.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

the person making those complaints doesnt even know japanese you moron, and neither do you

'we completely fell for it' is a literal translation of this line that google translate spits out

however what's actually being said here is, 釣られ. which uses the kanji, 釣. this means angling, fishing, getting hooked (by fishing bait.) the character is saying he got baited and hooked like a fish. the translation keeps this. the google tl he spits out does not.

lol. owned.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

this video is cringe because i'm in it

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!

Endorph posted:

Endorph posted:

and if you were getting probed for this six years ago im sure the flashcard program you launch every 13 days so you can say you're 'learning japanese' as you hit the translate tweet button on jp fanartists talking about their dinner would be a more worthwhile use of your time then crying about poo poo you barely grasp

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

yeah lol this came up from all the dipshit tourists losing their minds over GBF Versus and Re:Link. The idea that theres a perfect TL that 'localizers" purposefully ruin is just. insane. Also that these people are somehow so important that they get all the decisions??
my fave part of the granblue relink discourse was someone getting mad about the line 'the ship's in the shop for repairs' because it wasnt being sold

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

lol drat

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Meowywitch posted:

this video is cringe because i'm in it

The internet never forgets does it?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Endorph posted:

you dont see an ethering this thorough that often on todays bitchmade internet

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Endorph posted:

Get em.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lmao

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Another favorite clueless culture war tourist moment I remember is when people accused the translators for Somnium files of "forcing in Woke ideology" and citing the LGBT line...even though the JP line says out the acronym in plain detail that even if you didn't know a lick of Japanese you'd pick it up lol.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dongicus posted:

the recent yakuza remasters had a new localisation applied to it and a few substories had some really dumb reddit tier lines here and there that stuck out for me. i dont mind them punching up certain dialogues but it has to be written by people who are funny and get the tone of a scene also lmfao at being mad at yakuza for "turning" woke
yea the most frustrating part of all this is that there are cases of localizers/translators trying too hard in places but theres so much noise in the room that its pretty impossible to talk about. like theres even a few complaints in the unicorn overlord thread i agree with, like a guy who makes One chicken pun in the jp getting it turned into 3-4 lines of chicken puns back to back in the english tl. but the dude's so melodramatic and leads with like 20 images of the most benign poo poo that its impossible to even pick those out, much less have a reasonable conversation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Another favorite clueless culture war tourist moment I remember is when people accused the translators for Somnium files of "forcing in Woke ideology" and citing the LGBT line...even though the JP line says out the acronym in plain detail that even if you didn't know a lick of Japanese you'd pick it up lol.
i liked someone joking about the somnium files writer being a woke woman from california who moved to japan to work in the games industry and multiple people believed it as the explanation for why that line was there

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

my fave part of the granblue relink discourse was someone getting mad about the line 'the ship's in the shop for repairs' because it wasnt being sold

That can't be real...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Everytime I see the title Unicorn Overlord, I think it’s the newest Gundam show or something