Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t remember dialog well because my brain is stupid and mentally ill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Denis sounds like a stupid idiot moron who has never seen Blade

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Might be a good idea to re-watch with subtitles. Or read the book. Dune is extremely quotable.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

I know Villeneuve is a visuals guy, so his point comes across a bit extreme, but I think there have been plenty of examples in the last 10-15 years of the TV-ification of filmmaking (see: Disney/MCU)

My mate likes this because it means he can get up and go to the kitchen, make himself a snack and come back, sit down, browse the web for five minutes and keep the movie going the entire time he does all of this.

I think this is poo poo! But I suspect that's part of the impetus behind the mountains and mountains of verbal exposition these things have.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

just rewatched pan's labyrinth for the first time since it was in theaters. it was pretty ok. i dig the visuals and how brutal it is, but it's overall a pretty thin story and it took me like four nights to finish bc i just got really bored most times i put it on.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I get what DV is saying, and film is primarily a visual medium, but when that visual medium
Is combined with great dialogue then one gets something extraordinary*. However, often that is not the case and dialogue does a lot of the heavy lifting that a director should be doing visually. Probably the first thing that screenwriters are taught (and which many have forgotten or been instructed to ignore) is Show, Don’t Tell.

A fantastic example of a film with no dialogue, and which is perfectly comprehensible, funny, and moving, is the first Shaun the Sheep film. Brilliant visual storytelling. (I’m not being facetious; it’s a really excellent film).

*for instance , I wouldn’t want to lose “I drink your milkshake!”, or the whole of The Big Lebowski

therattle fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 27, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
*Paul Muad'Dib having prophetic vision of a galactic Jihad enacted in his name*: So... THAT'S gonna happen!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Failed Imagineer posted:

*Paul Muad'Dib having prophetic vision of a galactic Jihad enacted in his name*: Oh my gawd, it's a galactic Jihad enacted in my name!

Script-doctored

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They're Jihading them! And they're doing it in my name! Oh my goooooooooood

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lol

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There was a world film premier in Sydney this week (because Mardi Gras, I guess?) and I thought it would be pretty awesome to go because they were doing a Q&A after and I've never really had the opportunity to see one of those or even see a world premier. Train broke down so I literally ran a suburb and a half to make it on time but I dunno why I bothered because the film loving s u c k e d. Awful subtitles, and a tendency to belabour its metaphors into the loving ground. Rosé is the drink of self confidence! My marriage is on the rocks because my husband only takes me on two cruises a year! (this is the exact opposite of what I suspect is true about cruises tbh.)

Moral? I dunno, Blue Lights sucks out of space.

Honestly, I should have just stayed at the Optus networking event that I accidentally talked my way into because I got confused about where I was meant to be.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

therattle posted:

I get what DV is saying, and film is primarily a visual medium, but when that visual medium
Is combined with great dialogue then one gets something extraordinary*. However, often that is not the case and dialogue does a lot of the heavy lifting that a director should be doing visually. Probably the first thing that screenwriters are taught (and which many have forgotten or been instructed to ignore) is Show, Don’t Tell.

A fantastic example of a film with no dialogue, and which is perfectly comprehensible, funny, and moving, is the first Shaun the Sheep film. Brilliant visual storytelling. (I’m not being facetious; it’s a really excellent film).

*for instance , I wouldn’t want to lose “I drink your milkshake!”, or the whole of The Big Lebowski

The easy litmus test for this is simply to imagine how the film would work with every piece of dialogue cut. TWBB doesn't have dialogue for the first what twenty minutes? And you could cut every line and still get across every single emotion and action just on the cinematography, editing, and acting; the dialogue is purely additive, and is generally, like many PTA films, used to add humor instead of drama. Another example is the Omlette scene at the end of Phantom Thread, there are a few lines of dialogue, but PTA knows when to get out of his actors way and let them do their job instead of loading them up with unnecessary exposition.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

2001 has no dialogue for its first 20 minutes or the last 30-40 minutes I'd guess. And that's a perfect movie right there.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don’t think 12 Angry Men would be a very satisfying viewing experience if you cut out all the dialogue.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gripweed posted:

I don’t think 12 Angry Men would be a very satisfying viewing experience if you cut out all the dialogue.

It could make an interesting ballet

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

No One Will Save You basically pulled the exact trick he's describing and was better than 90% of his filmography so he must be onto something.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Which is why we categorize it as a television show.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No one will save you was so dope.

It’s what the grey alien genre needed badly.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

feedmyleg posted:

Which is why we categorize it as a television show.

Some would even say it's a stage play

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

12 angry men is based off a play. So of course it needed that crutch we call dialogue

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Mckenna Grace might have her names in inverse order but she's spectacular and I'm counting down the days she turns an age where she can be cast as something other than precocious child or student.

She's been called a nepo baby and it's like 1/10th true in that her dad is an orthopaedic surgeon but there are tons of people with better connections and and loads more money who don't make it. It's 100% a talent thing.

Plus unless her dad was quite old to become a father he would have still been a medical student (making a large negative salary) or a resident (basically making the same as a waiter in LA).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Big braining ourselves back to the silent era

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why didn't Craig Sheffer ever break through? In the early 90's it looked like he was going to be a genuine movie star but apparently it wasn't in the cards.

Was there a specific reason? Drugs, the law, messy relationship, studio fuckery? If not I guess he just wasn't talented

i love Nightbreed more than almost anyone but he is not a very good actor lol

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ShoogaSlim posted:

these all look like what i'm looking for. thanks!

like Mordiceius, i also had this on tape as a kid so i just wound up watching it a bunch and have fond memories of it. i also had dracula dead and loving it which i saw a bunch, but i had never actually seen bram stoker's dracula until a few years ago. i was astonished at how much of the story i knew just bc i have memories of seeing the parody as a kid lol.

https://y.yarn.co/6137e580-a6ef-4163-ae34-2a013fe4f5a6.mp4

Said this a bunch before but man Peter MacNichol is just trying his little rear end off in DRACULA, DEAD AND LOVING IT.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i love Nightbreed more than almost anyone but he is not a very good actor lol

NIGHTBREED is one of those movies like SCANNERS where it helps and not hurts that the lead is a blandly handsome guy who doesn't seem like an actor.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

NIGHTBREED is one of those movies like SCANNERS where it helps and not hurts that the lead is a blandly handsome guy who doesn't seem like an actor.

he's clearly a dude Clive Barker cast because he thought he was hot and that rules

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Kwisatz Haderach took 1500 years to breed!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I disagree I think it hurts both movies. Particularly Scanners.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it's def intentional in Scanners. plus i can't get over the fun irony of a guy with zero affect played by a guy named Stephen Lack

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

regulargonzalez posted:

Some would even say it's a stage play

yeah and i love me a good filmed stageplay, i'll gobble up old bbc productions of that poo poo. 12 angry men is directed by lumet and shot by dziga vertov's little brother, they knew what they were doing and what they did was the bare minimum. it's just barely a movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DeimosRising posted:

yeah and i love me a good filmed stageplay, i'll gobble up old bbc productions of that poo poo. 12 angry men is directed by lumet and shot by dziga vertov's little brother, they knew what they were doing and what they did was the bare minimum. it's just barely a movie.

And yet, it’s one of the greatest movies ever made.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
It’s a movie: the images move. This idea that dialogue-heavy movies somehow aren’t Pure Cinema is based on an arbitrarily restrictive idea of what cinema is. It’s not a visual medium, it’s an audio-visual medium! With the caveat that silence is audio too.

Anyway I’d much rather watch great actors perform a great script than look at a bunch of beautifully crafted images that don’t add up to much. Like Dune Part One for example.

I know what Denis means, but this kind of absolutist thinking does explain some of the shortcomings of his filmography.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

actually they're called movies because they move you

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

he's clearly a dude Clive Barker cast because he thought he was hot and that rules

Basically yeah. Ideally he'd be played by George Michael.

Basebf555 posted:

I disagree I think it hurts both movies. Particularly Scanners.

The whole point of Lack's character in SCANNERS is that he's in over his head, it's great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The whole point of Lack's character in SCANNERS is that he's in over his head, it's great.

I feel like there are actors with some talent who could portray that quality while also bringing a bit more screen presence. Let's call them, the Keanu Reeves of the world, there are always a few of them kicking around.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Actors are overrated.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Lobster Henry posted:

I know what Denis means, but this kind of absolutist thinking does explain some of the shortcomings of his filmography.
this is villenueve staking out his position as a professional film director, signaling his philosophy as an artist as well as a businessman, stand with him or criticize him for it

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I've never really been wowed by his filmography myself tbh, some solid movies I guess. Dune finally just blew me away with sheer spectacle. Kudos for adapting one of my favorite Saramago novels even if I don't really think it was that good.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also does In the Mood For Love also exist in a universe where there are only three songs or so?? Because a friend told me that music repetition is pretty onbrand for WKW and it just feels like I'm watching a Noé/Haneke film and the dude is trying to psychologically torture me.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I can only focus on three or four songs at a time, so WKW's soundtracks are right in line with my sensibilities

now i'm gonna listen to the adagio from 2046 for the next half hour or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I've never really been wowed by his filmography myself tbh, some solid movies I guess. Dune finally just blew me away with sheer spectacle. Kudos for adapting one of my favorite Saramago novels even if I don't really think it was that good.

I bloody love Sicario and I loved Arrival