Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Fast food surge pricing? At Wendy’s? What the gently caress?

The surprisingly depressing part is it hasn't happened before. Somewhere a whole pile of MBAs are now desperate to justify their existences after getting pantsed by not doing this sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
We cannot know what goes on in dead people's heads, but all the early doxing on this guy points to him having a pretty clear mental picture of reality. Grass touching confirmed, but I don't know what posts about him to believe. I haven't seen posts from people claiming him yet.

I am beyond the edge of my seat to see what the DoD response is going to be. What I know of AF officer culture, dude had psych evals, had support structure, and none of it flagged.

It is remarkable. But I will never respect someone who brushes this away as a mental health issue. Especially when they celebrate the other ways we can die:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I do not think telling posters to kill themselves for expressing admiration for a martyr and mocking someone who chose to martyr themselves rather than deploy to support the genocide in Gaza reflects well upon you.

He is not a martyr. he is an idiot that needed mental health treatment. Underestimating that necessity is dumb.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I do not think telling posters to kill themselves for expressing admiration for a martyr and mocking someone who chose to martyr themselves rather than deploy to support the genocide in Gaza reflects well upon you.

Bad shim. Don’t do that.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 27, 2024

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

KirbyKhan posted:

We cannot know what goes on in dead people's heads, but all the early doxing on this guy points to him having a pretty clear mental picture of reality. Grass touching confirmed, but I don't know what posts about him to believe. I haven't seen posts from people claiming him yet.

I think it is safe to say that setting oneself on fire requires at least some mental health issues. Especially if that person believes that their single act will change national policy/bring an end to a conflict.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

I missed the part where he received the light of Islam and unhesitatingly recited the Shahada. Missed how he now he looks down on the Ummah from the gardens of Jannah. Truly there is no god but Allah, and Mohammad is his prophet!

dude wtf

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It’s seriously lock ‘em up in the mental ward crazy delusions of grandeur to think that he, a computer toucher with the USAF who is completely unknown and by definition easily replaced, can stop war crimes and genocide across the globe by BBQ’ing himself in front of Israel’s embassy.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

McNally posted:

dude wtf

I was trying to make a joke while high and phone posting. A combo of that Kissinger accepting Islam just before death thing and this dude. It was funny in my THC addled brain but not appropriate or funny, sorry.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

This is some absolutely pathetic and disrespectful behavior in regards to the death of this airmen and the context of the genocide in Gaza, with the obviously insincere concern trolling about mental health.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Could we PLEASE just go back to talking about the availability of Naan bread in your general vicinity and a discussion of how big of an influence naan bread would be on your wanting to reenlist?

A friend of mine lost a buddy to suicide yesterday.
The kid had been committed to hospital for suicidal ideation on the 20th of December, was deemed safe to release to the welcoming arms and general supervision of his loving family two days ago and then jumped off a rooftop yesterday.
I do not need to watch a slow motion slap fight about the merits and special exemptions to rules about joking about suicide.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Tempers seem to be running a little high. Let's all take a break and reconvene.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

SerthVarnee posted:

Could we PLEASE just go back to talking about the availability of Naan bread in your general vicinity and a discussion of how big of an influence naan bread would be on your wanting to reenlist?

New indian place finally opened up here after the other one burned down so availability is a naan issue now

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

SerthVarnee posted:

The closest grocery store to me is an Indian grocer. I am now convinced that Roti is a superior tortilla style product.

It is interesting to see the local stores adjust their stock to accommodate the influx of Indians moving in. As an added benefit, I now have access to all sorts of great restaurants providing me with new flavors.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Naan situation in north east LA was vastly superior to Orange County

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

ASAPI posted:

The closest grocery store to me is an Indian grocer. I am now convinced that Roti is a superior tortilla style product.

It is interesting to see the local stores adjust their stock to accommodate the influx of Indians moving in. As an added benefit, I now have access to all sorts of great restaurants providing me with new flavors.

Roti is way to thin and doesn’t soak up curry well, which is the empirically optimal use for Indian-subcontinent made breads

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Packaged Naan is available in the Albertsons/Kroger/Regional big box grocers in my area, they aren't baked in store, but somewhere in-state. There is a greater variety of import naan in the Bengali grocer, the square looks like it used to have a bakery like as recent as 5-10 years ago, but the couple of times I visited it has been international shelf stable import bread.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Always be getting extra garlic naan

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Roti is way to thin and doesn’t soak up curry well, which is the empirically optimal use for Indian-subcontinent made breads

West Indian (think Caribbean) cooking has two different types of Roti - one that is Paratha or thinner and made with Ghee and cooked with Ghee and ends up flakier like a flour tortilla, and one that is thicker and generally smaller that is closer to a Pita. There is also Dhal Puri which is a Paratha filled with ground Dhal (split yellow peas).

Generally they’re all unleven bread with roots in South Asian cuisine and adapted to local conditions and ingredients. Naan differs largely in how it’s cooked - basically take the dough and slap it on the side of the of a Tandoor oven to cook. Roti tends to be cooked over a hot, flat skillet.

I tend to think of Roti more like an edible napkin that allows me to grab curry and rice mix with my fingers and pop the whole thing into my mouth. Vs Naan being used like a roll to sop up the left over curry sauce.

But I’m just a white guy who married a West Indian 15 years ago and try to act an interpreter when possible.

Also generally if a place is highlighting its Roti then it probably has its base in West Indian (Jamaican / Trinidadian / Guyanese) curry. But that tends to be (IME) Toronto, NYC, and FL. Otherwise you’re likely dealing with South Asian food which is awesome differently due to the different spice blends that are foundational to the curry powder used in the cooking.

Nystral fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 27, 2024

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

soak up curry, which is the empirically optimal use for Indian-subcontinent made breads

:hmmyes:

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Samosas, mint chutney, meal of champions.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I took a Cape Malay cooking class while I was in Cape Town for grad school and roti was one of the things we made, it was loving delicious.

I should learn more about South Asian cooking, I could eat it every day.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

my husband eats garlic naan and it smells like loving heaven every time he makes it and one of these days my brain will function enough to remind me to get some for myself

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SerthVarnee posted:

I'm still celebrating the proliferation of fried chili crisp at walmart. Made a sandwich with it on some toufuyan brand naan yesterday, the stonefire brand is a lot easier to find locally but I've never had a pack last past three days before erupting into mold so I treat it as a last resort and alternatives are always preferred

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 27, 2024

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Nystral posted:

West Indian (think Caribbean) cooking has two different types of Roti - one that is Paratha or thinner and made with Ghee and cooked with Ghee and ends up flakier like a flour tortilla, and one that is thicker and generally smaller that is closer to a Pita. There is also Dhal Puri which is a Paratha filled with ground Dhal (split yellow peas).

Generally they’re all unleven bread with roots in South Asian cuisine and adapted to local conditions and ingredients. Naan differs largely in how it’s cooked - basically take the dough and slap it on the side of the of a Tandoor oven to cook. Roti tends to be cooked over a hot, flat skillet.

I tend to think of Roti more like an edible napkin that allows me to grab curry and rice mix with my fingers and pop the whole thing into my mouth. Vs Naan being used like a roll to sop up the left over curry sauce.

But I’m just a white guy who married a West Indian 15 years ago and try to act an interpreter when possible.

Also generally if a place is highlighting its Roti then it probably has its base in West Indian (Jamaican / Trinidadian / Guyanese) curry. But that tends to be (IME) Toronto, NYC, and FL. Otherwise you’re likely dealing with South Asian food which is awesome differently due to the different spice blends that are foundational to the curry powder used in the cooking.

This is a good effortpost saving for my next grocery trip

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

ASAPI posted:

Roti rules!!!!
Naan no-way!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I recently bought a good, big Indian cookbook to try and replace delicious but unhealthy food with healthy food that also has flavor. It’s been spectacular. A million variations of beans and rice that aren’t just poverty food. Started making my own yogurt. Going to start buying turmeric in bulk. Working on the roti, since the book only mentions traditional style which is literally only whole wheat flour and water.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

To be clear, I do love naan. I was just surprised at how roti compared to tortillas, especially what I have available to me which seems to be some kind of whole wheat hybrid thing, which I like the flavor/texture of.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
My hands are still stained from chopping fresh kurkuma for the garlic/ginger/kurkuma mixture.

Smells and tastes good, so it's all worth it.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Knowing now that there are people itt who have to live their lives buying non-fresh baked naan fills my heart with sadness.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Ok, point taken.

Can I make a brief point and get you two gentlemen to see the point?

This:

And other variations therein should be seen and treated as equally reprehensible.

The guy in question was a 25 year old Airman. Holding up his public suicide because the mentally ill Airman lit himself on fire in agreement with otter’s political views is ghoulish.

I really only have one knee jerk reaction to that, and it’s usually to up the ante. Which I stupidly tried to do in the CE thread and I apologize for that.

I won’t do that again here.

I’d like a large Coke and number 3. Also all the Arby’s sauce packets you can give me.

the dude knew exactly what he was doing. are you going to say the vietnamese monk who did this exact same thing also had mental health issues? i dont see you claiming anyone who's willingly given their life for their country as having mental health issues. john brown gave his life to end slavery, is that a mental health issue?

its not immoral to laud someone for having conviction and standing up against a genocide. the man gave his life in a horrible way in a bid to help end the suffering of millions and you disrespect him by calling him crazy.

edit: i shouldve refreshed the page but didnt and the point stands

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Also if you’re serious about making Roti at home a tawa is a good investment that can also make crepes and serve as a skillet. It’s literally a skillet with no sides, and perfectly capable of serving multiple roles in your kitchen. Look to spend under $25 for it, expect it to last three to five years because of the heat cycling and the handle. If you buy one of those handless ones that all metal they’re awesome but they’re not as easy to store as I’d like IME.

Don’t spend a ton of money on fancy ghee because it was discovered by instagram influencers. Buy a cheap one because it’s all the same drat stuff. You’re going to dab it on the skillet and also rub the paratha roti with some melted ghee as it’s cooking. Then flip rub / baste the roti and cook for a few moments. Then when you take it off the skillet you need to “fluff” it, which is basically pulling it and clapping it to help loosen the layers. This is what makes paratha roti so great as an accompaniment to your dish.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

My Spirit Otter posted:

the dude knew exactly what he was doing.

ex-Lethality Jane noted some things that makes the situation not as clean as that. Based on the timing, he was due to leave military service very soon. The airman had also posted on LinkedIn that he was looking for post-military work for his transition out, and not finding any work. That kind of poo poo can spiral in a hurry, as lots of military/major sports figures reference that transition as being really, really fuckin hard. ex-Lethality Jane phrased it in a different way, based on her experience, that I'm sanitizing for reasons.

Anyways, New York Democrats went to court and spent millions of dollars to throw out the state's independent redistricting commission map to institute their own gerrymander. There was also court races involved that they won.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1762500253981245758?t=Gk7e6oc07ReoCLxDzXo6CQ&s=19

And instead they just decided to try and shore up incumbents and didn't give a gently caress about getting more seats. The NY Dems really, really suck.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
In local news, basically every precinct has a pain-in-the-rear end voter that asks a ton of questions at check-in, just to be a dick. This asshead spent two full minutes at check-in, willingly refusing to comprehend the concept of an open primary. Then, pesters the check-out lady for another two minutes about some poo poo I turned out.

Upon being told to have a nice day on his way out, he told us poll workers "GO TRUMP!".

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

ex-Lethality Jane noted some things that makes the situation not as clean as that. Based on the timing, he was due to leave military service very soon. The airman had also posted on LinkedIn that he was looking for post-military work for his transition out, and not finding any work. That kind of poo poo can spiral in a hurry, as lots of military/major sports figures reference that transition as being really, really fuckin hard. ex-Lethality Jane phrased it in a different way, based on her experience, that I'm sanitizing for reasons.

Anyways, New York Democrats went to court and spent millions of dollars to throw out the state's independent redistricting commission map to institute their own gerrymander. There was also court races involved that they won.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1762500253981245758?t=Gk7e6oc07ReoCLxDzXo6CQ&s=19

And instead they just decided to try and shore up incumbents and didn't give a gently caress about getting more seats. The NY Dems really, really suck.

NY Democrats are basically solely responsible for losing the House thanks to this poo poo.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
A guy showed up at the primary last year (March, 2023) claiming he was there to vote for Trump. Nothing could be explained to him

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Soul Dentist posted:

A guy showed up at the primary last year (March, 2023) claiming he was there to vote for Trump. Nothing could be explained to him

Per other workers here, during the 2022 election something similar happened. A voter had some hearing/visual impairments and insisted she wanted to vote for Trump and only Trump. She couldn't figure it out, called for help, still couldn't figure it out, and eventually started swatting at poll workers trying to help.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Naan vs roti is one thing, but are you having goat, sheep, or neither?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Platystemon posted:

I prefer goat over lamb/sheep.

Who am I kidding though? I am a fat goon and readily accept whatever is recommended by the restaurant with almost no consideration as to what is in said recommendation.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Platystemon posted:

I’ve been going neither. Need to lower my cholesterol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I can't really see the naan vs. roti debate as being serious without exploring the z axis to this graph: platha.