Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

mdct posted:

It was two pages ago, but Shigeru Mizuki was the fuckin' best. Huge recommendation into looking into his life just for a really interesting story in and of itself. Dude literally lost his dominant left arm in WWII, became an absolute pacifist after the experience, relearned how to draw with his right arm, and didn't let it stop him from becoming one of Japan's most celebrated mangaka (truly starting in his mid-to-late 40s, too!) while also completely and totally bucking the self-destructive work ethic of his peers. And pretty much singlehandedly reinvigorated the country's enthusiasm for its own folk tales. If it weren't for Kitaro, the term Youkai wouldn't be common knowledge like it is today.

yo that does own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jerusalem posted:

Garp: This is my sweet, precious protege Coby. He has fulfilled all the dreams and hopes I had for Ace, Luffy and yes even Aokiji. He is a fine lad, and full of the best promise for the Marines... also this is Helmeppo, I found him in the trash.

Garp isn't perfect, but his eye for talent doesn't miss.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Really loving how many articles are out there cautioning everyone to not go for 1109’s spoilers because it’s too important.

Feels like this week gonna go so slow.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Helmeppo reaching out to tank the cannon blast was impressive and he's been redeemed for me. Can't wait to see Coby step up and lead his team

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

PuttyKnife posted:

Really loving how many articles are out there cautioning everyone to not go for 1109’s spoilers because it’s too important.

To save anyone the trouble spoilers dont seem to be out yet.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
As someone who first started reading OP from the beginning in summer '23 and fully caught up at the beginning of the month, I am beyond excited to see the lore dump this week. I can't even begin to imagine what it feels like for people who've been following for 20+ years for this.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I am not caught up so I hope the message isn't actually earth shattering, lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Meowywitch posted:

I am not caught up so I hope the message isn't actually earth shattering, lol

you’ve got a couple days, better get reading

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also don’t read this thread if you’re not caught up lol

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Augus posted:

also don’t read this thread if you’re not caught up lol

Well I've consistently read spoilers every week for years so I'm good

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Firebert posted:

As someone who first started reading OP from the beginning in summer '23 and fully caught up at the beginning of the month, I am beyond excited to see the lore dump this week. I can't even begin to imagine what it feels like for people who've been following for 20+ years for this.

I mean, you’re aware of and want answers to all the same mysteries I do. I see this line of thinking a lot and it’s really not that special, we’ve all been reading the same book or comic here

Charles Dickens would publish A Tale of Two Cities chapter by chapter in some magazine he owned but I don’t think the people who read those chapters weekly ended up with a particularly different appreciation for A Tale of Two Cities that we do today. At least not for any reasons that have to do with how they were published and read

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I've been reading since the first manga volume in English was on the shelf at Barnes and Noble. I'm excited for this new chapter, but I've been excited weekly for decades now. One Piece is cool and good and the journey is the fun part for me. Getting answers is almost sad because it means the ride is ending

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

If I actually want to go back and properly read this poo poo (which I do), I stopped the anime like 15 years ago on the equivalent of Manga.... chapter 513?

so it shouldn't take too long to catch up

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

If I actually want to go back and properly read this poo poo (which I do), I stopped the anime like 15 years ago on the equivalent of Manga.... chapter 513?

so it shouldn't take too long to catch up

you should start over from the beginning

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

you should start over from the beginning

I'd consider it but I've heard the early Viz translations are very rough

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

PuttyKnife posted:

I feel like those get "written" every week. You see one these junk pages, you've seen them all. Nothing of value, education, or interest can be found in these.

All the fake spoilers that circulate a day or so before the real ones are kind of cute to read tho. Some read like possibly true until the last couple lines when they give up the game, but some don't even try and that's great too:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Meowywitch posted:

The overly pirate nonsense wraps up relatively quickly, like specifically calling all alcohol grog. I don’t think that kind of stuff goes beyond east blue though and all that’s left to deal with is Zolo.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

its absolutely fine

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bold decision for this week's chapter to just be 20 pages of reaction shots from around the world with no dialogue

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i'd simply read it in japanese if i'm concerned about the translation

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Bold decision for this week's chapter to just be 20 pages of reaction shots from around the world with no dialogue

I can't wait for the three episodes of the anime covering it

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm doing it, I'm in Amazon Lily... progress for the first time since I was 17. brings a metaphorical tear to my eye

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Meowywitch posted:

I'm doing it, I'm in Amazon Lily... progress for the first time since I was 17. brings a metaphorical tear to my eye
You stopped reading after Saobody? Wow not a stopping point I was expecting.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

No Wave posted:

You stopped reading after Saobody? Wow not a stopping point I was expecting.

depending on how old he is he was probably up to date when he stopped

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

Saobody was only five years ago, right?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I had a friend in a similar position who caught up just after Marineford and didn't continue until this year

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Meowywitch posted:

godspeed :patriot:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

I'm a girl and I'm an anime transplant

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

I'm a girl and I'm an anime transplant

im more interested in arguing about undiscussed potential explanations for things than being correct

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sabaody throughly Marineford is such an unbelievably good stretch of shounen

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mdct posted:

It was two pages ago, but Shigeru Mizuki was the fuckin' best. Huge recommendation into looking into his life just for a really interesting story in and of itself. Dude literally lost his dominant left arm in WWII, became an absolute pacifist after the experience, relearned how to draw with his right arm, and didn't let it stop him from becoming one of Japan's most celebrated mangaka (truly starting in his mid-to-late 40s, too!) while also completely and totally bucking the self-destructive work ethic of his peers. And pretty much singlehandedly reinvigorated the country's enthusiasm for its own folk tales. If it weren't for Kitaro, the term Youkai wouldn't be common knowledge like it is today.

100% agreed. His life and his works are some of the absolute best. He was the true GOAT.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I feel like those get "written" every week. You see one these junk pages, you've seen them all. Nothing of value, education, or interest can be found in these.

All the fake spoilers that circulate a day or so before the real ones are kind of cute to read tho. Some read like possibly true until the last couple lines when they give up the game, but some don't even try and that's great too:

I saw a fake spoiler summary that seemed plausible but ended with Jimbei puts on Zoro's bandana and unlocks a new awakened form. Got a good chuckle out of me.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Woozie66 posted:

I saw a fake spoiler summary that seemed plausible but ended with Jimbei puts on Zoro's bandana and unlocks a new awakened form. Got a good chuckle out of me.

lmao

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

:hellyeah:

I know you've been spoiled for a lot but please post your reactions to things so we can live vicariously through you

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
[/sopiler] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzthb6gqLDY [wpoisler]

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

:hellyeah:

I know you've been spoiled for a lot but please post your reactions to things so we can live vicariously through you

Boa Hancock is not endearing herself to me when the very first thing she does is kick a loving cat

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Meowywitch posted:

Boa Hancock is not endearing herself to me when the very first thing she does is kick a loving cat

You’ll forgive her. She says so herself in her intro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Woozie66 posted:

Almost posted that one but wanted to wait til actual ones dropped before doing so just in case it actually was right for the bits before that.