Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Venomous posted:

you stopped???

its been free of smoke for a while here fortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGkJSEOd1R4

Whoops, Antarctic sea ice is gone :lol::lol:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
its loving 60 outside in Feb in WI, normally, even last year, we are sub zero at this point

I just don't loving know, how can anything but full ecological disaster be coming

it's like the fourth day in a row, it keeps happening

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

hubris.height posted:

its loving 60 outside in Feb in WI, normally, even last year, we are sub zero at this point

I just don't loving know, how can anything but full ecological disaster be coming

Just frame the scene with your fingers like you're making a movie and keep saying "this is normal" until your brain believes it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

hubris.height posted:

lol it’s basically been early June weather and super sunny-warm, and everyone is just like OMG its so nice outside!!!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I mean the ski hills around here just use snow makers, can't they just do that?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Posting in its entirety, emphasis mine.

NYTrash posted:

Scientists are freaking out about ocean temperatures

By David Gelles

From his office at the University of Miami, Brian McNoldy, an expert in hurricane formation, is tracking the latest temperature data from the North Atlantic with a mixture of concern and bewilderment.

For the past year, oceans around the world have been substantially warmer than usual. Last month was the hottest January on record in the world’s oceans, and temperatures have continued to rise since then. The heat wave has been especially pronounced in the North Atlantic.

“The North Atlantic has been record-breakingly warm for almost a year now,” McNoldy said. “It’s just astonishing. Like, it doesn’t seem real.”

Across the unusually warm Atlantic, in Cambridge, England, Rob Larter, a marine scientist who tracks polar ice levels, is equally perplexed.

“It’s quite scary, partly because I’m not hearing any scientists that have a convincing explanation of why it is we’ve got such a departure,” he said. “We’re used to having a fairly good handle on things. But the impression at the moment is that things have gone further and faster than we expected. That’s an uncomfortable place as a scientist to be.”

Spin the globe to the south, and the situation is similarly dire.

“The sea ice around the Antarctic just not growing,” said Matthew England, a professor at the University of New South Wales who studies ocean currents. “The temperature’s just going off the charts. It’s like an omen of the future.”

What’s driving the heat?
Global warming, caused by the burning of fossil fuels, has been driving up global temperatures on land and in the sea for decades now. Over the past year, worldwide average temperatures were more than 1.5 degrees Celsius, or 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit, higher than before the industrial age. New data from a variety of sources has led some climate scientists to suggest that global warming is accelerating.

Given the overall warming trend, higher temperatures in the oceans aren’t a complete surprise. Oceans absorb most of the additional heat that greenhouse gasses trap near the surface of the Earth, and have been steadily warming for years. The current El Niño weather cycle is also leading to additional heat in the Pacific Ocean and allowing more energy to be released into the atmosphere.

Yet the past year has come as a shock even to those who follow the data closely.

“We all know that there’s been a rapid warming, particularly over the last few decades,” Larter said. “But it over the last 18 months, it’s jumped up beyond what we expected.”

Scientists are offering a range of explanations for the record heat in the North Atlantic.

One surprising factor may be a reduction in pollution in the area. In 2020, a new rule went into effect that limited the amount of sulfur dioxide contained in the fuel used by container ships. That has reduced the amount of particulate matter in the air, which let in more solar radiation and contributed to global warming.

“When those aerosols were in the sky above the shipping lanes, they helped create a cloud cover, and there’s much less now,” McNoldy said. “That’s a legitimate thing.”

But the reduction of sulfur dioxide alone can’t explain the North Atlantic’s extreme heat, scientists said.

Another factor may be the complex feedback loops in the Earth’s weather patterns. The North Atlantic has been unusually clear lately, with fewer clouds than normal to block the sunlight from heating the water. The area has also been less windy than normal, which may have also led to a spike in temperatures.

Without strong winds, colder water from deeper in the ocean doesn’t rise to the surface as readily, England said.

What comes next
In the near term, McNoldy said the warmer waters in The Atlantic could fuel a strong and lengthy hurricane season.

“Compared to other fairly significant hurricane seasons, this is way warmer at this point in the year,” he said.

The marine heat is also expected to reduce Arctic sea ice, Larter said.

“What’s bad news for sea ice has a lot of knock-on effects,” he said. “The formation of sea ice is the process that really drives a lot of the ocean’s circulation. And if the overturning circulation slows down, that really has climate impacts across the world.”

Recent research has suggested that as glaciers melt and more fresh water enters the Atlantic, a crucial ocean current could falter, potentially leading to drastic changes in global weather patterns, such as a rapid reduction in temperatures across Europe.

McNoldy said it was too early to say whether the ongoing heat wave is part of the early stages of such a change. “I hope it’s not something much worse, like, you know, like some significant change in the ocean current,” he said. “That would have far greater implications.”

[Biosphere Collapse] I Hope It's Not Something Much Worse

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Cabbages and Kings posted:

quote:

One surprising factor may be a reduction in pollution in the area. In 2020, a new rule went into effect that limited the amount of sulfur dioxide contained in the fuel used by container ships. That has reduced the amount of particulate matter in the air, which let in more solar radiation and contributed to global warming.

“When those aerosols were in the sky above the shipping lanes, they helped create a cloud cover, and there’s much less now,” McNoldy said. “That’s a legitimate thing.”

BRING 👏 BACK 👏 DIRTIER 👏BUNKER 👏FUEL 👏NOW

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Xaris posted:

lol it’s basically been early June weather and super sunny-warm, and everyone is just like OMG its so nice outside!!!

it is pretty nice outside

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

rollin' coal to save the shoal

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

it's strange, sitting here at the top of the mountain. I hope that the path back down isn't too difficult.

mags posted:

it is pretty nice outside

I have the windows open, it's nice letting the wind blow through after having the propane running all winter.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

expecting the shift from "we'll do solar dimming with crazy tech!" to "lets just burn dirtier fuel and call it solar dimming tech"

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

reading this thread has made me a nicer parent b/c I just don't have it in me to be too upset w/my kids about anything. I am stopping short of letting them do literally whatever they want, and definitely encouraging outside play while that's a fun and pretty option, but I just don't have the heart to worry too much about how they spend their time or "behavior correction" when I think we're all living through the best parts of their lives now. Let them loving enjoy Bluey or whatever bullshit, let them play more video games than I was allowed to, etc.

I also stop short of trying to black pill them. The 7 year old has already noticed the extreme variability in our ski season and I have just said "yep, that's the climate changing, and this will become more noticeable as you get older".

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

lmfao

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ng-sea-ice-caps

quote:

“And so I thought: isn’t there some way to maintain that ice sheet for a bit longer until CO2 levels come down and the ice becomes regenerative? I had this naive idea: why not pump water on top of it?”
“At the moment the ice is about a metre thick,” says Real Ice’s co-chief executive, Andrea Ceccolini. “By refreezing the top layer, where there is snow, we will add 10-20cm. After that, the ice will grow thicker because we are removing the snow insulation, which is constraining further growth.”

Ceccolini hopes to develop an underwater drone that could navigate the -1.5C water, detect the thickness of the ice, pump up water as necessary, refuel and move on to the next spot. “If we demonstrate [this over] 100 sq km a day with 50 drones, then we can show that this can actually scale [up] to a much larger area,” says Ceccolini.
Julienne Stroeve, professor of polar observation and modelling at University College London, says it would probably be impossible to act on a large-enough scale to have a real impact on the climate.

“I agree that the sea ice is worth protecting, since it helps to keep our planet cool, but the entire Arctic Ocean is about 14m sq km,” she says. “The only real solution is to either pull carbon out of the air or cut our emissions to half of what they currently are.”

fascist scientists trying to kill the vibe

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

also we're getting close to 1 year of records! :w00t:

https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/sst_daily/

March 13th I think? Maybe the 14th

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Had me laughing derisively.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I saw mention of Thwaites in regular news media today. Yup, I believe that's that.

Good news for the penguins is they'll probably all be dead from bird flu before the whole ice problem does 'em in.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://twitter.com/my__name__was/status/1762173907128488135

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I was assured that giving police 90% of all government funding would prevent this

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
The revolutionary vanguard should offer the farmers false promises in exchange for their help in overthrowing the ruling class. Once that's done, betray them and repossess everything they own

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

burning tires to save the mires

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Ceccolini hopes to develop an underwater drone that could navigate the -1.5C water, detect the thickness of the ice, pump up water as necessary, refuel and move on to the next spot.
Prototype:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

OIL PANIC posted:

Prototype:

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Two hours North of Albany. Still have some snow on the ground. But it's 60 degrees out. Surreal.
A foreshadowing of what the summer is going to be?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Actuary X posted:

Two hours North of Albany. Still have some snow on the ground. But it's 60 degrees out. Surreal.

in the summer its going to be a hundred degrees and snowing

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

unwantedplatypus posted:

People are going to have lawns regardless of anyone’s opinion

People are going to drink water regardless of anyone's opinion

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

*distant machine gun slide racking*
*looks nervously at purified water cache*

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Actuary X posted:

still cooler than next year

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

gently caress, lmao

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Karach posted:

BRING 👏 BACK 👏 DIRTIER 👏BUNKER 👏FUEL 👏NOW

You're just going to have some billionaire unleashing aerosols into the atmosphere, unilaterally, and there won't be anyone to stop him.

You're telling me that it's getting, in aggregate, warm enough to swim in the middle of an ocean body or thereabouts? Sounds like a plus to me.

A_Druish_Princess
Jan 12, 2024

I can fix her

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/andrew-zimmern_l_65bd4ef4e4b0102bd2d9263f

He clearly understands the situation is dire

quote:

As Americans, some of us will have to lose our rose-colored glasses when we see no bananas, apples, or fish in the supermarket. Our favorite foods are at stake of disappearing from our dinner tables, in our lifetimes!

but you'll be shocked by his proposed solution

quote:

We need to respect our democracy and create laws. Instead of being up in arms about making composting and recycling mandatory, those who can afford it should be paying for others, too. Some people have nasty words for that kind of government, but paying slightly more taxes will not really affect your lifestyle. It may save society as you know it. Those who don’t choose to support the greater good at a time when we have true existential threats are (insert your metaphor here) delusional.

Liberalism is not equipped to handle this situation. All brains are poisoned

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Liberalism is not equipped to handle this situation. All brains are poisoned

There is no political system equipped to handle this situation (well except the obviously superior political philosophy of anti-natalism).

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Have you considered posadism?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

There is no political system equipped to handle this situation (well except the obviously superior political philosophy of anti-natalism).

opposition to the boer-dominated government of the natal free state has never steered me wrong

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

this is the greatest crisis of our lives

"oh okay so who do I pay to make that go away then? We talking like a 5% tax increase or?"

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Woke: Setting yourself on fire for Palestinians (Aaron Bushnell)
Broke: Setting yourself on fire for Buddhists (Thích Quảng Đức)
Bespoke: Setting yourself on fire for the planet (Wynn Bruce)

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

american: setting the planet on fire for yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

lol some old farts response to this when i posted it in nerd group

quote:

I am unclear what I am looking at but it seems unreliable. Sea temps are wildly variable between 60 N and 60 S and across 0 to 360. It appears that they averaged them together which is not fair.

its incredible how in denial people are.