Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

loquacius posted:

People got overdramatic about their misreading of The Last Samurai's name (Tom Cruise wasn't the last samurai (singular), he was a guy who met the last samurai (plural)) but it was still Dances With Wolves poo poo where they can only make a movie about nonwhite people if the main character is a white person

it rocked when Netflux had Marco Polo learn from a blind Kung Fu master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

They should do an original series where Sacajawea is a psychic or something.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Bring back Raised by Wolves.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

it's a western because it takes place in the untamed danish west, which would only be colonized by copenhagen in the latter half of the 19th century.

is django unchained a western because it takes place in louisiana which is also west of actual cities

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

is django unchained a western because it takes place in louisiana which is also west of actual cities

it's a Southern

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

idk but yeah it's not good. it's still way better than I thought it would be. none of the kids can really act which sinks the entire venture before it gets out of dry dock. but when they're fighting it's pretty cool, the music is well done, it's shot decently for a streamer, the sets and wardrobe are surprisingly good, and it's well-lit (mostly) for a Netflix show. that could be cause a lot of it is outside so they didn’t have much choice, I guess we'll see. I'll wind up watching it all at the gym/work unless it really sucks poo poo, which is possible.

i think the acting is bad all around honestly the adult performances are every bit as limpdicked as the kids and theres enough serious names there that the direction seems to be the bigger issue than the talent

live action avatars biggest problem imo is that theyre in such a hurry to get to the season two and season three beats that the season one beats theyre supposed to be focusing on just come off as halfassed at worst and actively undermined at best like whose idea was it to make commander zhao a dumb loser whose only doing what azula tells him to it creates this weirdass climax where zhao getting his rear end kicked isnt dramatic or satisfying because hes never been presented as a serious threat compared to villains from future seasons who dont even have anything to do yet

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

i think the acting is bad all around honestly the adult performances are every bit as limpdicked as the kids and theres enough serious names there that the direction seems to be the bigger issue than the talent

live action avatars biggest problem imo is that theyre in such a hurry to get to the season two and season three beats that the season one beats theyre supposed to be focusing on just come off as halfassed at worst and actively undermined at best like whose idea was it to make commander zhao a dumb loser whose only doing what azula tells him to it creates this weirdass climax where zhao getting his rear end kicked isnt dramatic or satisfying because hes never been presented as a serious threat compared to villains from future seasons who dont even have anything to do yet

this is one thing that Game Of Thrones adaptation did very well to its credit, while it still had material to adapt from lol. they had no problem pacing out S1 - S4 with the material they had, then once they hit blank pages it's like they hit the panic button

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Western is a state of mind.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

War and Pieces posted:

that character was really good and the fight he has with homeboy at the end of season one was awesome. southern mantis style is so loving cool

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I got to the part where Azula is introduced today and I'll say it. they fumbled the casting. she's too jolly looking. and Katara is such a bad actress, that's the one role you really needed to nail if you were gonna have any hope of it being good. Zuko's actor is actually pretty decent at being an insufferable little poo poo and Sokka nails like half of his comedic beats which is a lot more than I would have guessed after episode 1

but yes the pacing is dire. I don't know if this series would make sense to someone who hasn't already seen the cartoon

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah Bernard Cornwell's archer series was fun enough. Unlike the Anglo-Saxon one it didn't go on long enough to be insanely repetitive lol, like eleven books in a row of 'Uhtred starts up high, but then he gets knocked down low/driven out by the mean Christians but in the end he saves the day by stabbing the big ugly Dane of the Week'.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I loved the Last Kingdom TV show because it was so formulaic. Every season there's a big bad Dane and an evil scheming Saxon. Lots of problems get caused by both, and eventually Uhtred fixes everything.

This pretty much sums up why I gave up on the show after a couple seasons. It's repetitive and their in story logic of why you wouldn't venerate and just give the guy who regularly saves your rear end anything he wants just seemed stupider and stupider. Also how old was he supposed to be I think he oversaw multiple generations grow up and never seemed older than 35.

If it was a stealth Highland series then yeah I'm back in.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Shageletic posted:

If it was a stealth Highland series then yeah I'm back in.

Why waste your time with a stealth highland series when you can enjoy a blatant one

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
The original Avatar cartoon was great. I heard the Legend of Korra was cool. Just make another sequel, you dingos.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Eric Cantonese posted:

The original Avatar cartoon was great. I heard the Legend of Korra was cool. Just make another sequel, you dingos.

They are, but Paramount's going under (and being mismanaged aside from that) so it's a question of what happens first.

Paramount's also doing a Daria sequel, cast and recorded the whole thing. Will it come out? Who knows.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

They are, but Paramount's going under (and being mismanaged aside from that) so it's a question of what happens first.

it's so funny that every major media conglomerate chased Netflix's model directly off a cliff without ever doing the math to see if streaming was actually profitable

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

War and Pieces posted:

that show ruled idc what anyone else thinks

like the culmination of marco's combat training is immediately getting destroyed by the main antagonist until the blind king fu master rescues him

also the kungfu master's name is hundred eyes

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That show was so silly and amazing just let Benedict Wong chew on the scenery it's awesome

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Streaming would have worked if the dumbasses had opened their vaults of movies and TV shows while hiring social media boosters. Get a bunch of millennials or Gen z watching Archie bunker because of memes.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

they are making a sequel, and an airbender sequel/korra prequel which makes the live action one even more weird and pointless imo

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

Streaming would have worked if the dumbasses had opened their vaults of movies and TV shows while hiring social media boosters. Get a bunch of millennials or Gen z watching Archie bunker because of memes.

Watching people rail against the chud Archie Bunker wpuld have been pretty funny too

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Archie Führerbunker

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Nichael posted:

Archie Führerbunker

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Archie Bunker is pretty good In The Heat Of The Night.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Nichael posted:

Archie Führerbunker

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Nichael posted:

Archie Führerbunker

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

That show was so silly and amazing just let Benedict Wong chew on the scenery it's awesome

kublai making people feel bad was the best part of the show

therefore they should give benedict wong joan rivers' old job

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Benedict Wong is such a loving gem he needs to lead more shows or movies

he's awesome in everything I've ever seen him in, even if the thing he's in sucks booty batter

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

a supernatural detective series set in 1910s Seattle starring Benedict Wong and Stephanie Hsu. cmon universe make it happen

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

indigi posted:

a supernatural detective series set in 1910s Seattle starring Benedict Wong and Stephanie Hsu. cmon universe make it happen

I say set it in the 1880s so you can make the great fire and subsequent regrading a setpiece

DID YOU KNOW that in 1889 most of Seattle burned down so they said gently caress it and triggered a landslide on purpose to bury the ruins and just built everything up again one or two stories higher? It's true and it's why Seattle doesn't have a subway network (the underground ruins were in the way)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If you walk around certain areas of downtown Seattle, there are periodically these little purple glass square things you step over every once in a while, and don't think anything of them, until you go on an underground tour and see that they're actually vault lights for the underground. Blew my mind when I first figured it out

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

loquacius posted:

I say set it in the 1880s so you can make the great fire and subsequent regrading a setpiece

I think setting it after the recession, race riots, expulsions, and fire would make for better ghosts/demons and currently-relevant storylines, but the turn of the 19th century-era would all be good

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

yeah having stuff take place in the underground would probably be cool enough (you can't do that in a modern show because it's a tourist attraction now)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

or is it turn of the 20th century? it's probably what it's turning into rather than turning away from. I basically meant 1875-WWI

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

loquacius posted:

yeah having stuff take place in the underground would probably be cool enough (you can't do that in a modern show because it's a tourist attraction now)

Worked for Malignant.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Open Source Idiom posted:

Paramount's also doing a Daria sequel, cast and recorded the whole thing. Will it come out? Who knows.

This keeps getting reported on but I've heard conflicting reports that this has more to do with greedy execs leaking potentially false info to the press in order to try and get someone to buy the company and make a killing, and that Paramount may not actually be doing as bad as reported. Not sure if there's any truth to those rumors though, I just want to believe them because I am enjoying P+ for star trek and the john halo show and my partner likes being able to watch women's soccer on there.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I think paramount is probably doing fine because it's the only "streaming service" my parents like. I know that's totally anecdotal but from what I've heard from them and at work, paramount plus is THE streaming choice for Boomers. It's like catnip to them.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Best pat of Marco Polo is that Prester John is real and used his divine powers to Thanos Snap the Yuan Dynasty.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
that marco polo show is the Wild Wasteland of historical dramas

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I think paramount is probably doing fine because it's the only "streaming service" my parents like. I know that's totally anecdotal but from what I've heard from them and at work, paramount plus is THE streaming choice for Boomers. It's like catnip to them.

It's CBS so there's like a million procedurals. They have all those Yellowstone shows and NCIS and poo poo, I mean I don't see how that doesn't keep them in the black forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Paramount is probably going to be badly run and lose content just like every other streaming service.