Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

tetrapyloctomy posted:

This movie in 3D in a theater was like a 90 minute panic attack. I'm kind of glad I didn't see it in an IMAX theater.

I ended up watching it the first time on a large theater screen more or less by accident and it was good as hell, but also insanely anxiety-inducing. The finale made it all worth it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

This movie in 3D in a theater was like a 90 minute panic attack. I'm kind of glad I didn't see it in an IMAX theater.

I did, at the one in downtown denver. I was high as balls on edibles. it was a ride for sure. beautifully shot. I remember everyone complaining about it at the time but I thought it was awesome on the big screen at least

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

if it’s the one off Colorado I’m jealous

Great imax theater. I saw it in a lie max and a Alamo but it was still amazing so not a huge deal

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

CelticPredator posted:

if it’s the one off Colorado I’m jealous

Great imax theater. I saw it in a lie max and a Alamo but it was still amazing so not a huge deal

no, i only went to the one on the 16th street mall. also saw Fury Road there. good times

the other theater in denver I liked was the indie one near the zoo

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

This is definitely one to watch with the lights off, sitting as close as possible to your TV.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
First two episodes of Shogun are up on Hulu. Really good, faithful to the books and the actors really seem nailed in on the characters. Reviews that have seen the entire thing say it doesn't let up for the whole run.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is shogun just a mini series or are they spreading it out over seasons?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Perestroika posted:

I ended up watching it the first time on a large theater screen more or less by accident and it was good as hell, but also insanely anxiety-inducing. The finale made it all worth it, though.

Inspector Hound posted:

This is definitely one to watch with the lights off, sitting as close as possible to your TV.

It got kind of a bad rap when it was released because the plot is so thin, but honestly I think it had just the right plot to "screaming while hurtling through the void" ratio. I should watch it again to see how it holds up.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It got kind of a bad rap when it was released because the plot is so thin, but honestly I think it had just the right plot to "screaming while hurtling through the void" ratio. I should watch it again to see how it holds up.
the one part that still made me cringe was that for as thin as the plot was they couldn't help but have a blaring siren telling the audience that being "lost in orbit" was a metaphor for Bullock's character "driving around in circles" after she lost her daughter. Like when she's finally landing she yells something like "no more driving around in circles!!!" and I just groan. trust your audience bro

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Upsidads posted:

On rewatching Predator 2 I now think its depiction of escalating super crime makes this the prequel to Robocop
I really needed it to be Robocop 2 level wacky and it just didn't get there enough for me.

Still mind blown by the existence of people who dislike Robocop 2. Cmon! Cmon!!!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kingtheninja posted:

Is shogun just a mini series or are they spreading it out over seasons?

10-episode limited series. The original 1980 mini was only 5 episodes.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I really needed it to be Robocop 2 level wacky and it just didn't get there enough for me.

Still mind blown by the existence of people who dislike Robocop 2. Cmon! Cmon!!!

It gets close
Every detective has an elaborate unique outfit, every gun is a snowflake

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

ive been watching bosch. its the ultimate dad show. the copaganda is like a warm blanket for your mind

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Man the Mechanic is so pretty good and the Mechanic: Resurrection is the worst action movie Jason Statham has ever made

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Punkin Spunkin posted:

robocop 2 is a serious downgrade from robocop 1

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Never try and out verhoeven, verhoeven

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Robocop 2 has its moments but does feel weirdly toned down from the original, like the studio got a little more involved.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

robocop 2 is a serious downgrade from robocop 1
Oh for sure, but I agree with that keeping in mind Robocop is one of my all time favorite films. I don't expect Robocop 2 to be as good as that basically perfect film, but it's still fantastic. Like I wish we'd gotten a Darkman 2 on the level of Robocop 2, haven't seen the former but I haven't really heard good things.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The purple tint added to robo’s suit adds 1 star to the movie.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Maxwell Lord posted:

Robocop 2 has its moments but does feel weirdly toned down from the original, like the studio got a little more involved.

they did frank miller's original insane script was cut up into a less insane one

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
robocp 2 was originally going to be a serial killer and then after robocop beats it for the first time an evil psychiatrist lady uploads her brain into robocop 2 for the rematch

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Not a fan of the tubi website revamp.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Agreed

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The test Robocops are pretty cool designs

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
If you guys are RoboCop fans and haven't watched the documentary yet I highly recommend it, lots of good behind the scenes stories

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I haven't seen anyone hyping the Robocop TV show yet, for shame.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Robocop TV show absolutely rules. Totally bloodless and a bit toothless, but they try to make up for it by going real fuckin weird.

Second best cyberpunk TV show behind Max Headroom.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

feedmyleg posted:

Robocop TV show absolutely rules. Totally bloodless and a bit toothless, but they try to make up for it by going real fuckin weird.

Second best cyberpunk TV show behind Max Headroom.

Yeah I loved the RoboCop TV show, it was really surprising.

The cartoon, on the other hand...

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wow Robocop got a good sequel and a fun weird TV show??? Oh Darkman. :(

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Wow Robocop got a good sequel and a fun weird TV show??? Oh Darkman. :(

Darkman's too weird; he's all gooey under the bandages.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I watched spaceman and thought it was really cool. Liked it.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Inspector Hound posted:

Gravity is leaving Netflix soon. It's a good sci-fi movie with a non-stop plot about coming home from work.

There was a nice short film WB or the director or whatever made which was the other end of the conversation she manages to get with a cb radio guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrm2fv_zXoU

In the movie she doesn't understand anything he's saying but it gives her this touch with mankind and nature kind. And the short gives this guy a story that he just wanted to tell someone his dog was sick, so they helped eachother and that's nice

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Fiinally got around to watching two movies i've been aiming to watch for a while. Ballerina and Baby Assassins

Ballerina is fine i guess. Some good action in there, but i don't know anything about the main character at all. She's just really good at fighting and shooting.

Baby Asassins felt like an anime, i don't even know how to explain what i liked and hated about it. It's kooky, the action is good, but i'm over the John wick style of gun-jitsu.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Peccadillo posted:

There was a nice short film WB or the director or whatever made which was the other end of the conversation she manages to get with a cb radio guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrm2fv_zXoU

In the movie she doesn't understand anything he's saying but it gives her this touch with mankind and nature kind. And the short gives this guy a story that he just wanted to tell someone his dog was sick, so they helped eachother and that's nice

yeah this was honestly my favorite part of the whole movie. cool to have this warm little Easter egg in-between space stations exploding.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Smythe posted:

I watched spaceman and thought it was really cool. Liked it.

I've been reading a lot of mixed reviews on it so I've been waiting for someone here to say something about it. I'll check it out

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Amazon Prime has TMNT: Mutant Mayhem. It's really good! Charming and funny, a relatively fresh take on the characters that's still mostly rooted in the classic cartoon. The kids voicing the turtles have good chemistry and the supporting cast is a lot of fun. It's good to see Mondo Gecko in a movie and have it not feel stupid!

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 3, 2024

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Field Mousepad posted:

I've been reading a lot of mixed reviews on it so I've been waiting for someone here to say something about it. I'll check it out

yea same. i don't know why the reviews are so mixed. its very confusing to me.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

Amazon Prime has TMNT: Mutant Mayhem. It's really good! Charming and funny, a relatively fresh take on the characters that's still mostly rooted in the classic cartoon. The kids voicing the turtles have good chemistry and the supporting cast is a lot of fun. It's good to see Mondo Gecko in a movie and have it not feel stupid!

Thanks for the heads up on this I've been meaning to watch it for a while and thought it turned out to be fantastic. The part where Jackie Chan Splinter was beating up the TCRI goons I was like "This would be a good time for him to grab a chair or maybe if there was some random scaffolding..." then he looks over and boom, chair. I lost my poo poo. Really looking forward to some possible sequels.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's amazing how novel the concept of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles but they're teenagers" was looking back on it.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I've been watching Death and Other Details on Disney Plus (It's also on hulu) and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but mostly because I have a soft spot for murder mysteries and Mandy Patinkin. I have no idea if the ending is going to be satisfying or not, we're 8/10 episodes into a show focusing on a whodunnit so it could go either way.

How I'd classify it is that the characters and location aren't as deeply explored as in Murder At the End of the World, but the story moves along a lot more quickly to make up for it. There's enough going on with the setting, characters, and story that I'm invested in how it ends even though most of the people feel pretty one-note.

Curious if anyone else has checked it out and whether you agree.