Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Over 500k acres burned and the fires are still raging.

What do you call half a million acres of Texas on fire?
A good start. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

All I have to add to Michigan chat is there was an Arab-American woman who looked to be in her twenties interviewed on ABC last night and was asked that, if it came down to it, if she would vote for Trump over Biden over Gaza/Israel and her response was something to the effect of short-term inconvenience for long-term gain.

I...can't see the man who's long championed an Arab/Muslim ban being the person you'd want to bang the drum for here long-term.

Yeah, I saw the same thing. I think anyone who thinks accelerationism is "better" needs to get their heads checked. Dumb as gently caress idiots like her are what's gonna get us another 4 years of Trump, which will irreparably harm the country and most people, including her. It's worse than shooting yourself in the foot, it's like hacking off your own legs.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's those damned wind turbines, fanning the flames.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Wendy’s is imho the worst fast food anyway though who is willing to pay those prices anyway and how do I get them help

Mods!?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ASAPI posted:

I saw something last night on the local news about this. They are reporting 0% containment last I heard. I'm not even sure they have the manpower/equipment available to contain something like this.

There’s not a lot you can do with an out of control fire and 50+ mph winds. They had to evacuate BWXT Pantex.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

What do you call half a million acres of Texas on fire?
A good start. :v:

:lol:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Bored As gently caress posted:

Yeah, I saw the same thing. I think anyone who thinks accelerationism is "better" needs to get their heads checked. Dumb as gently caress idiots like her are what's gonna get us another 4 years of Trump, which will irreparably harm the country and most people, including her. It's worse than shooting yourself in the foot, it's like hacking off your own legs.

I do not think Arab-Americans watching a man declare his support over and over again for the massacre of their cousins (sometimes literally) choosing to not vote for him are that unreasonable, and I think you don’t really have a place to be self-righteous toward them about it when your position is “well the other guy might also do genocide plus more other bad things too.”

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
rip turtleman

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1762891228205424976?t=DKsPLmGelCZBy20X23-K5A&s=19

new leader will likely be more trumpy and somehow even more of a lovely human than mcconnell

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I will never surrender. Arby’s is the superior nationwide option.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

facialimpediment posted:

rip turtleman

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1762891228205424976?t=DKsPLmGelCZBy20X23-K5A&s=19

new leader will likely be more trumpy and somehow even more of a lovely human than mcconnell

God drat it you said RIP and I got my hopes up for ol' Mitch popping his clogs.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Lemniscate Blue posted:

He not even resigning from the Senate. Lame.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mr. Nice! posted:

wow, everything IS bigger in Texas

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Flikken posted:

He not even resigning from the Senate. Lame.

fair, but having him probably have less power than loving tommy tuberville is its own special form of death

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

facialimpediment posted:

fair, but having him probably have less power than loving tommy tuberville is its own special form of death

He's still going to be a senior committee member on any committee he's on and if the R's take back the Senate he will probably end up President Pro Temp.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Same.

Was supremely disappointed.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Empty quote

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I have learnt today that there's more than a few goons that do not value their butthole.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Don't edge me like this

not caring here posted:

I have learnt today that there's more than a few goons that do not value their butthole.

I have the weakest stomach especially for someone who eats the amount of full spiced Asian and Hispanic food but I do have an iron keister.

Wendy's delenda eset

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

not caring here posted:

Years of getting hosed by the green weenie will do that to you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Trump likely doesn't actually have the money to pay his judgements. Womp womp.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CommieGIR posted:

But he’s a billionaire!!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CommieGIR posted:

Serious Trouble (Barro/Popehat) were speculating last week that Donnie really has lovely capital-raising (initially typoed as crapital-raising) options right now. Dude has a shitload of money tied up in owning like 33% of office buildings that ain't worth poo poo anymore. So not only can he not sell the buildings outright (he's a minority owner), he's likely upside-down on the holdings due to post-covid office vacancies. Not a whole lot of rich fucks buying office space at the moment!

And his Truth Social poo poo is still ~6 months from him being able to cash out. And the "it's worth $4B!!!!11!" takes are likely just trump leaks. Bond companies probably aren't going to take meme stock savings bond coupons as legitimate collateral. Really will get weird if he can't get a judgment stay delaying the collections.

Edit: lol he only offered a $100m bond https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/28/nyregion/trump-bond-civil-fraud.html?smtyp=cur&smid=bsky-nytimes

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 28, 2024

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The interesting part about the Texas fires is the number of utility trucks I saw hauling rear end out of town today.

I’m in SC.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

But he’s a billionaire!!

Real post - Technically, he probably is if you count his property holdings.

But nearly all of that is massively inflated and worthless holdings. So yeah. He's not. He'll likely have to fire sale his property if he has to end up paying out his judgements.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Video from the wildfires:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzHQ8TX19-E

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

But nearly all of that is massively inflated and worthless holdings. So yeah. He's not. He'll likely have to fire sale his property if he has to end up paying out his judgements.

Also extremely illiquid.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

CommieGIR posted:

Hes in a catch 22 in which he has very illiquid holdings, has testified under oath he has cash, has to maintain that he is very rich and liquid due to his current loans and maintain access to cheap money, but probably needs to show some hardship or reason he required a stay.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

lightpole posted:

Hes in a catch 22 in which he has very illiquid holdings, has testified under oath he has cash, has to maintain that he is very rich and liquid due to his current loans and maintain access to cheap money, but probably needs to show some hardship or reason he required a stay.

Would you say his mouth has written checks that his rear end can't cash?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

psydude posted:

Also extremely illiquid.

He has the best lawyers, who say he can only post a bond for $100M in court, but go on TV and say:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1760006117835276563?t=OeiaVCw5dYlHeP5EbzxCTQ&s=19

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

facialimpediment posted:

He has the best lawyers, who say he can only post a bond for $100M in court, but go on TV and say:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1760006117835276563?t=OeiaVCw5dYlHeP5EbzxCTQ&s=19

Good lord hahahaha

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I live in one of the largest cities in the country and I can't remember the last time I saw an Arby's. Apparently the nearest one is 4 miles from my house but not in an area where I ever go.

Coasterphreak posted:

The interesting part about the Texas fires is the number of utility trucks I saw hauling rear end out of town today.

I’m in SC.

Possible explanation - the panhandle and West Texas are a source of a significant amount of wind power in Texas. And it's February, and the weather is more akin to a typical April. If we have a repeat of last summer (oh god please no) the power demand is going to be astronomical and the state will be a tinderbox.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Coasterphreak posted:

I’m in SC.

Are you sure it's not just a nasty storm somewhere else? Utility cooperation is pretty important for fixing stuff after disasters, but they're not exactly... firefighters.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Appeals court isn't loving around apparently:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

That Works posted:

Would you say his mouth has written checks that his rear end can't cash?

Someone in another Trump thread said that a lot of his loans are personal loans, and they have clauses in them saying he must maintain X amount of liquid capital or the loan gets called in immediately since a lot of people have stopped trusting him to be good for loans. In the current situation with a court monitor running his business for him and telling him to go gently caress himself every time he tries his usual shady bullshit, the lies he's been telling for decades to paper over not having that money are getting blown out of the water and the monitor is reporting actual facts which his entire empire is deathly allergic to. I haven't seen the documentation evidence for that so I'm crossing my fingers it's true and his house of cards is going to collapse on itself with every domino falling in to three other dominos in a domino wave of finding out.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

So like a toddler holding their breath until they (don't) get what they want? There is no credible threat here, because not voting for Biden is voting for Trump. "Expressing unhappiness" is not a meaningful political action if there isn't an alternative voting path, and our first past the post system ensures there isn't.

The infinite hubris of Democrats on display here cannot fail it can only be failed

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
poo poo if I was Trump right now I'd be liquidating so hard it'd mean stripping the copper wire out of the walls and running for Russia. Miserable fucker gonna be homeless.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

not caring here posted:

poo poo if I was Trump right now I'd be liquidating so hard it'd mean stripping the copper wire out of the walls and running for Russia. Miserable fucker gonna be homeless.

He'll live off the GOPs dime until he either wins or loses the election.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The infinite hubris of Democrats on display here cannot fail it can only be failed

idgi the youth are being told things are cool and good even though their lives are like, totally not cool and good, why are they not happy

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

hypnophant posted:

i shared my view and i'm asking for yours in good faith. the vet forum isn't cspam - you're allowed to offer a more nuanced take here

Back in the 80's I asked my parents why Israel and Palestine were fighting. They said "because the leaders get money and power if they keep fighting, so they'll never stop, they will still be fighting 1000 years from now".

How much of that has changed in four decades? It seems to me that Hamas's leaders and Israel's leaders both 100% wanted this outcome, and so did a lot of citizens. Why else are they still holding hostages? So like, what is the US supposed to do differently? Shut down the bomb factory? Hamas wants those bombs dropped to generate more recruitment material at the expense of innocent people.

It's almost like this is some kinda vicious circle that no one is gonna learn anything from.

Full disclosure, I unironically picked Kingdom of Conscience in Disco Elysium because that makes perfect sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Zero VGS posted:

How much of that has changed in four decades? It seems to me that Hamas's leaders and Israel's leaders both 100% wanted this outcome, and so did a lot of citizens. Why else are they still holding hostages? So like, what is the US supposed to do differently? Shut down the bomb factory? Hamas wants those bombs dropped to generate more recruitment material at the expense of innocent people.

It's almost like this is some kinda vicious circle that no one is gonna learn anything from.

If Israel wants more bombs to do more genocide, and Hamas wants more bombs dropped to generate more recruitment, then it seems indeed the simplest solution is to simply stop providing bombs

E: I am aware this is a gross simplification, but at the same time, maybe it isn't