Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

As bad as the NXT reports are i do wonder if OVW and earlier developmental might have even worse stories that haven't gotten out cause wrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

As bad as the NXT reports are i do wonder if OVW and earlier developmental might have even worse stories that haven't gotten out cause wrestling
Well, for starters, there's Mikey Batts getting fired for having a consensual fling with Alicia Fox or Kelly Kelly:
https://twitter.com/IANdrewDiceClay/status/1760443335271981385?t=jF_JSRkf_gLV4I-EVVhcAQ&s=19

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

There were a ton of abuse stories with DeMott in DSW.

Part of the reason HHH hired him back for the PC.

The Dinsmore story about Carrano happened after an OVW show.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the matt cardona stuff comes to mind as some of the most mean spirited poo poo to come from DSW.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Long-Time Lurker posted:

It's high-key frustrating to read more and more stories about WWE being gross when a significant amount of wrestling fans just don't care about any of it. Even when they aren't Fedpilled, they seem to think you are the weirdo for caring too much about WWE being a rape/abuse factory instead of just letting people "enjoy things."

Because no matter how hard people don't watch it won't get any better and they're only depriving themselves.
Individuals will opt for their own happiness over the ability to not help people they've never met in any tangible way in the name of a moral stance.
I voted with my wallet against WWE over a decade ago and it turns out hey, my vote doesn't matter. If I didn't hate WWE so much I'd feel like I cheated myself.
Is this an excuse? Whether it is or it isn't more importantly it's the tragedy of the commons playing out in realtime.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rarity posted:

Dave's known more about the inner workings of WWE for forty years than any other journo and has chosen to never a big fuss about it

The cognitive dissonance has to be something else for him. Like the kinda weird thing about all this is that none of it is really that new. Scandals and a clear pattern of systematic abuse have been there for decades. So while I get why this has become the straw that broke the camels back for many theres something a little off about the way its like a changed situation. But thats nothing compared to what someone like Meltzer should feel since hes been an insider to this poo poo for decades and the gatekeeper for it getting out. So its hard to acknowledge how bad all of it is without also saying Im kind of complicit in covering it up. Underselling its with vague mention of some stuff not being true or as bad as it sounds gives him some cover to say he didnt know.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

There were a ton of abuse stories with DeMott in DSW.

Part of the reason HHH hired him back for the PC.

The Dinsmore story about Carrano happened after an OVW show.
Kenny Omega left his development deal at least partly because of Demott's treatment of people

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

You're thinking of George Barrios who (to my knowledge) has no specific allegations against him. Mark Carrano is the guy second from the right on the YouTube thumbnail. .

i retract my statement

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

thefncrow posted:

It really seems like the reason Owen stuck out as a prankster is that he actually understood what was a prank versus what was just assault.

In Bret's book he describes sharing a hotel room with his dad during a Wrestlemania weekend, and his dad getting a call in their room.

quote:

On the morning of WrestleMania V, a call came for Stu, who stood in his long, striped nightshirt talking with a big smile on his face.

Yeah, Reg . . . how the hell are you?

Reg Park had been a respected bodybuilder once upon a time. He was an easygoing guy and the conversation started out friendly, but Stu couldnt believe his ears when Reg suddenly said, Stu, you were always afraid of me. You never had the balls to try me, or I would have shoved your head up your rear end!

Stu was pacing the room with the receiver pressed hard against his cauliflower ear, his jaw set like granite. Reg, if you wanted to try me, why didnt you try me? Even the veins in his sturdy white legs seemed to swell with rageI was sure Stu was about to head downstairs and face off with Reg right there in the lobby! Jade was wide-eyed, wondering why Grampy was getting so upset.

Then Stu abruptly sat on the bed and slammed the phone down. A shy, almost embarrassed smile broke over my dads face. One Ill never forget.

That was Owen. The little bastard got me!

Like that's a good rib. That's the kind of stuff Owen did.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I always liked the Owen prank from when wrestlers were recording their lines for WWF Attitude (maybe Warzone). Owen explained to the guys there that British Bulldog was illiterate and was very sensitive about it. So they had Bulldog in the booth and they kept telling him his lines and asking him to repeat them into the mic. Eventually, Bulldog got so frustrated and yelled, "Jesus Christ, just write them down!" and everyone realized what was going on.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Owen convincing Mick Foley to purposely tank a house show match because Dave Meltzer was there is still my favorite Owen story, though the Reg Park phone prank is pretty great too.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gavok posted:

I always liked the Owen prank from when wrestlers were recording their lines for WWF Attitude (maybe Warzone). Owen explained to the guys there that British Bulldog was illiterate and was very sensitive about it. So they had Bulldog in the booth and they kept telling him his lines and asking him to repeat them into the mic. Eventually, Bulldog got so frustrated and yelled, "Jesus Christ, just write them down!" and everyone realized what was going on.
lmao thats amazing

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ChrisBTY posted:

Because no matter how hard people don't watch it won't get any better and they're only depriving themselves.
Individuals will opt for their own happiness over the ability to not help people they've never met in any tangible way in the name of a moral stance.
I voted with my wallet against WWE over a decade ago and it turns out hey, my vote doesn't matter. If I didn't hate WWE so much I'd feel like I cheated myself.
Is this an excuse? Whether it is or it isn't more importantly it's the tragedy of the commons playing out in realtime.

I find it hard to enjoy a show when I suspect that every person on screen is either a sex pest, a victim of sexual assault, or aided and abetted sexual assault.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Gavok posted:

:lol:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Vince killing Owen is up there for worst things he's done.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CombineThresher posted:

Owen convincing Mick Foley to purposely tank a house show match because Dave Meltzer was there is still my favorite Owen story, though the Reg Park phone prank is pretty great too.

And Dave was like, they had a match that got really over!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Is that the popcorn snow angel match with Dude Love where they broke Steve Austin? Foley's description of that match is absolutely hilarious. Always wish I could have seen it.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

I'm really not surprised by people's ability to shrug their shoulders at the most heinous poo poo imaginable.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Shard posted:

Vince killing Owen is up there for worst things he's done.

Terrible prank

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Owen also convinced Ahmed Johnson he was going to be on Letterman, so he rushed out to get a suit.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Owen Hart rules

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Gavok posted:

loving lmao

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

SirPhoebos posted:

I find it hard to enjoy a show when I suspect that every person on screen is either a sex pest, a victim of sexual assault, or aided and abetted sexual assault.

Distance. Some people feel distant enough from these kind of issues that the guilt doesn't outweigh the benefit of whatever they're engaging with.
I mean I even suffer with this issue with AEW. Jericho. The smoke about him and his sex pest allegations may have passed but Jericho is still a dude who donated to Trump and had Trump Jr on his podcast. You add the multiple allegations against Jay Lethal and Tony deciding to bring in Flair and plug his stupid energy drink and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Not just that but how much else is he handwaving that we arn't seeing? It's still probably 1/100th of what WWE has done but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But I still love AEW too much to disengage over it. If something really bad happens in AEW I don't know if the guilt will outweigh my love for AEW. AEW is important to me because it exists as proof that even in this hellworld good things still exist. I imagine there are people to whom WWE is the same even though I can't personally imagine why.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
WWE also has a nostalgia factor for a lot of people despite it being regularly problematic. It's similar to all the people who continue to wax lyrical about old British sitcoms despite a lot of them being extremely racist, sexist or plain not funny. Childhood feels safe when everything in the present feels unstable, even though memories have a distinctive way of lying to you. It's been a thing in Britain for decades due to the country being less relevant internationally, which is why certain groups of football fans continue to sing "TWO WORLD WARS AND ONE WORLD CUP!", but I think it's been sharply increasing in the US and elsewhere more recently for various reasons.

Heck, I'm not immune to it. There are times when I've watched clips of Stone Cold with the zamboni or the beer truck just to have a quick laugh at the old days. I haven't done so recently for obvious reasons, but maybe I'll get bored one day. My various privileges (ie not being a woman in this case) grant me a lot of distance to examine, if not outright enjoy, things that might be no-go areas for others. It's an ongoing battle (one which pales in comparison to the battles that actually matter, like getting justice for those who deserve it) to reconcile that with one's self-understanding and care for the victims.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

quote:

Hacksaw Jim Duggan told a great Owen Hart story in a sit-down interview a few years ago. A common theme in Owen Hart stories is the use of the front desk at the hotel. One night, Duggan called the front desk of the hotel that the wrestlers were staying in and was asking where the gym was so he could get a quick workout in.

The front-desk attendant responded back and said:

Youve got a phone book, why dont you look it up?

Duggan was pissed because he thought that the employee should have some courtesy, considering they were supposed to make sure his stay at the hotel was going well. The man at the front-desk threw another jab at him:

Well if you have a problem, why dont you come talk to me

Duggan was about to storm down to the lobby and confront the man until he received a phone call. The front desk attendant apologized and said that it wasnt him who was saying those things. He eventually revealed himself as fellow WWE star:

Jim Powers

Duggan lost it laughing upon hearing the name and knew that he was getting ribbed by Owen.

:lmao:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Imagine running a hotel and finding out your front desk was commandeered by a wrestler for the purpose of pranking another wrestler. Its cold and the sun is setting.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

ChrisBTY posted:

Distance. Some people feel distant enough from these kind of issues that the guilt doesn't outweigh the benefit of whatever they're engaging with.
I mean I even suffer with this issue with AEW. Jericho. The smoke about him and his sex pest allegations may have passed but Jericho is still a dude who donated to Trump and had Trump Jr on his podcast. You add the multiple allegations against Jay Lethal and Tony deciding to bring in Flair and plug his stupid energy drink and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Not just that but how much else is he handwaving that we arn't seeing? It's still probably 1/100th of what WWE has done but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But I still love AEW too much to disengage over it. If something really bad happens in AEW I don't know if the guilt will outweigh my love for AEW. AEW is important to me because it exists as proof that even in this hellworld good things still exist. I imagine there are people to whom WWE is the same even though I can't personally imagine why.

I mostly agree with all this. I think if Tony turned out to be building a 30 year culture of sex trafficking that'd be enough for me to stop supporting the product. But yes, there's a certain degree of handwaving I'm willing to do over Jericho, Flair, Justin Roberts, etc. etc.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1762601346010603660

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I'm a little confused at why WWE is still on the hook for the NDA payments, was he doing them through the company?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

That DICK! posted:

Terrible prank

Dude lmao

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

VideoWitch posted:

I'm a little confused at why WWE is still on the hook for the NDA payments, was he doing them through the company?

WWE had an interest in these NDAs being kept too. I'd be surprised if they weren't part of it, given the poo poo often happened in and around WWE shows/properties. The SEC guidance mentioned talks about when a stockholder makes payments on behalf of the company with their personal funds too, so it would imply the NDAs were signed between WWE and the victims and Vince was paying the money himself.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

VideoWitch posted:

Yes, specifically using company money to pay for the NDAs, he is expected to pay the company back for

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VideoWitch posted:

You can't use your own money to cover up something like this that would impact your business.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Ah that all makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

VideoWitch posted:

Ah that all makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
Basically, if there was a material benefit to the company, it needs to be reported.

But...

The complaint in the Janel Grant lawsuit strongly suggests the funds came from a company account. And WWE was a party to the NDA even though "WWE" wasn't officially notified, the general counsel, wasn't aware of it, etc.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Plus if Vince moved funds around and didn't properly disclose what they were for, that's fraud. Even if you own the fuckin thing, the company is not your personal piggy bank.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
The CEO being a rape monster in a company where the CEO is a talismanic figure in terms of the companies success is a classic case material information that would affect the share price if disclosed. That they didn't say in 10k fillings that the CEO is a horrible monster who uses the company's public reputation to protect his behaviour is securities fraud. Disclosing it now doesn't protect the company from not disclosing it in the past, especially since they were forced into disclosing it by an independent third party.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

cagliostr0 posted:

The CEO being a rape monster in a company where the CEO is a talismanic figure in terms of the companies success is a classic case material information that would affect the share price if disclosed. That they didn't say in 10k fillings that the CEO is a horrible monster who uses the company's public reputation to protect his behaviour is securities fraud. Disclosing it now doesn't protect the company from not disclosing it in the past, especially since they were forced into disclosing it by an independent third party.

I think they kinda did at some point, didn't they? Like there was an SEC filing where TKO put down in their shareholder risk section something like "Vince McMahon is kind of a dick and could bring us a lot of bad press."

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

CellBlock posted:

I think they kinda did at some point, didn't they? Like there was an SEC filing where TKO put down in their shareholder risk section something like "Vince McMahon is kind of a dick and could bring us a lot of bad press."

Maybe. Depends on what a jury thinks.

An argument can be made that the loss already incurred from Brock Lesnar being un-personned (to say nothing of future revelations) goes well being just a boilerplate warning about the old boss being a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://x.com/dajosc11/status/1762932402962227628?s=20