Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

My group (mostly) loves Yard House; the food is perfectly acceptable and giant beers always go well with Gen Con.

Looks like Nevermore still sucks given the reviews, but somehow manages to stay open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

The last time I ate at the mall I dropped goatse in the groupme.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

CellBlock posted:

Looks like Nevermore still sucks given the reviews, but somehow manages to stay open.

I gave them a second chance last year and it's still absolutely miserable. Shockingly bad.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

Exciting update nobody seems to be talking about more broadly online yet: seemingly the entire Circle Centre Mall is going to be gone by the time Gen-Con happens this year

There have not been many updates since that article but something else I saw from a few days ago suggests the teardown phase is imminent, and though obviously you never know timelines for things like this, it would not surprise me if there were just nothing in that space for years to come. Though apparently they are not touching the Artsgarden and I imagine if they were destroying the skywalk that would be bigger news?

the teardown will take longer than you think and the buildout will take less time than you do is usually how it goes with this type of work, lots of complicated utility things usually involved with this type of preservation & demolition of existing structures

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
GEN CON!!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Got my badges

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
GEEEEEENNNNN

Today has been a day of great upheaval as my VIG Companion plays with the hotel script to try to get a fancy room. Even in elitist rear end in a top hat land there is disappointment for Gen-Con

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I hope he can survive with disappointment. I can’t see pretty much any scenario where some other VIG gives up one of those suites or other larger fancy rooms.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I hope he can survive with disappointment. I can’t see pretty much any scenario where some other VIG gives up one of those suites or other larger fancy rooms.
You would think, but that was how he got a suite in 2022, by someone noticing in July that someone had given up the Omni Severin's and he grabbed it a few hours later. I can only assume that was a circumstance where someone had a business commitment fall through or something, why else would you be so confident about a huge-rear end expensive room until right before the convention

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The housing chaos is this Sunday. Be sure to buy your badges TODAY if you haven't done so yet and are not a snooty VIG.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

nesbit37 posted:

The housing chaos is this Sunday. Be sure to buy your badges TODAY if you haven't done so yet and are not a snooty VIG.

You have until Friday at 11:59 PM Eastern to buy a badge and get into the lottery in time.

quote:

Important note: Badges must be purchased by 11:59 PM EST, Friday, February 23, 2024, to be included in the randomized access queue. Any customers who purchase badges after the randomized housing access times have been issued will be placed at the end of the initial queue.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 21, 2024

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
1:31pm, I'll take it. Might be my best time ever.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hey that is workable! Looks like we are on track to have a similar setup to last year where downtown hotels sell out by 1:45, though certainly you never know

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

12:33 PM
Looks like I won Gencon

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

12:22pm here, but I’ll be staying with a buddy in town as usual.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
12:45 - will this finally be my year of connectivity?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Anyone under 1pm should be solid. I would normally say you are ok up until close to 2pm but with how nuts it was last year it’s hard to say for sure.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Radio Free Walrus posted:

12:45 - will this finally be my year of connectivity?
I believe in you R.F.W.

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004
I got 2:47. Over a decade of Going To The Con and I've never been able to stay downtown. At this point it is better to have not known how staying downtown actually is since I've never known anything else.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
This is my 10th year of going to Gen Con and I've been able to stay in a skywalk connected hotel for the last 9 years. I've known the pain of driving in and it is a far-reaching shadow that looms over every housing lottery.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

The Hotel Dragon has been slain. Got my room at the JW Marriott.
Everything else is booked, now I just gotta wait.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Last year was my first use of the housing lottery and I got the Omni. It wasn't bad but this year I managed a JW room. My fat rear end has even less walking to do.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Downtown was sold out by 1:20pm this year.

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004
At least having never gotten a downtown hotel room this time of year I can bask in some schadenfreude on the angry posts on Facebook Gen Con Fans or their message board.

"DEAR MR. GENCON, THIS IS AN OUTRAGE THAT I DIDN'T GET A DOWNTOWN ROOM!!! Here are 5 paragraphs as to why it should change in such a way that somehow just benefits my own situation!"

Always a treat.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah those are classics. Discord was surprisingly low-key in that regard, really just one guy throwing a fit because you are GUARANTEED a room in the hotel block (who said that?) and one person threatening to talk to a lawyer over ADA not having its own entire connected hotel just for disabled people.

Like obviously I have no ill-will towards that reason for needing a connected room but I trust Gen-Con specifically to be about as good on that as any convention

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

By 1:45 My friends weren't able to get a room closer than 7 miles.

But they've been able to get downtown hotels by diligently watching for openings, especially as the cancel deadline approaches.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Yeah, you'd think people who ostensibly play a lot of games would understand that sometimes you roll poorly and poo poo doesn't go your way.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

apparently this is the tool my friends used in previous years to find rooms after the lottery.

https://genconhotels.com/

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
A bunch of rooms just got added at ~10:40am EST, might be that ghost inventory they mentioned after everything sold out.

EDIT: Also quarex doing the needful and letting the GC Forum users know that this is as good as it gets, rightfully so.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
Do rooms within a few blocks tend to pop up closer to the deadline? This was going to be my big-ish vacation for the year so if I'm doomed to a hotel 8 miles away I'd rather cancel and plan something else.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

BlackIronHeart posted:

EDIT: Also quarex doing the needful and letting the GC Forum users know that this is as good as it gets, rightfully so.
Haha. Yeah like sometimes people seem to be analyzing the situation honestly and trying to figure out a place to move that makes sense, but then you get the guy who declares that because Dallas has more hotel rooms downtown it is obviously appropriate to move it there. Yep, let us move to Texas, why not, then we can alternate with Las Vegas and Orlando

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

caedwalla posted:

Do rooms within a few blocks tend to pop up closer to the deadline? This was going to be my big-ish vacation for the year so if I'm doomed to a hotel 8 miles away I'd rather cancel and plan something else.

They open up all the time, but only like 1 at a time and you'll be competing with people using scripts to try and grab them. You can do it but its going to take a combo of luck and effort.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Thing is Gen Con isn't even close to the largest event held in Indianapolis, like the NRA convention is a bit bigger, and the Indy 500 attendance is easily twice Gen Con.
So why don't they have trouble with rooms?

I'm guessing the answer is... Gamers

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Bucnasti posted:

Thing is Gen Con isn't even close to the largest event held in Indianapolis, like the NRA convention is a bit bigger, and the Indy 500 attendance is easily twice Gen Con.
So why don't they have trouble with rooms?

I'm guessing the answer is... Gamers
I know I heard people talking about the Indianapolis 500 in the past, I want to say that they really do fill up hotels all over the city and there are even plenty of RV people and other camping-out types and stuff of the type that would not really work for gaming

But yeah the privileged attitude is probably more powerful in the gaming conventiongoers. Not saying it is entirely unjustified, as I imagine Gen-Con attendees are far more likely to arrive at the event carrying 2 pounds of things and leave carrying 50 pounds of things and want to get rid of said things as quickly as possible

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Yeah during things like the 500 basically every hotel in Indy + some of the donut counties gets an influx of people. But that event, while being far larger, is only 1 day and a good percentage of the people going are local or only a few hours away, reducing the number of rooms needed.

As for other big conventions, the people in the Indy and surrounding areas going to them I assume are just going to drive in, see the show, and drive home. Compared to those same people going to Gen Con where some decent percentage of them are going to try and get a hotel room downtown so they have a place to store stuff, stay up stupid late, etc.

What will be interesting to watch after they get the new hotels built is if they see enough demand from not just Gen Con, but some of the other events to want to build another hotel. The city very much wants to host another Super bowl for example, but were told after the one they hosted that they needed at least 2 more JW level hotels and then some to even have a chance of hosting again.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Backno posted:

What will be interesting to watch after they get the new hotels built is if they see enough demand from not just Gen Con, but some of the other events to want to build another hotel. The city very much wants to host another Super bowl for example, but were told after the one they hosted that they needed at least 2 more JW level hotels and then some to even have a chance of hosting again.
I think the best-case scenario for Gen-Con is that the city gets hubristic and builds too many hotels but before economic reality fully sets in we get to benefit from having like 5,000 more rooms than makes sense for several years or something

I will do my part and build a 1-room hotel in my car

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004
The biggest thing that makes no loving sense is WHY ISN'T THERE A LIGHT RAIL FROM AIRPORT TO DOWNTOWN??? Any sort of mass transit option would make it way easier instead of relying on Uber/Lyft madness to get from all these outskirts to the main hubs/downtown. They even have footbaw games and other stuff.

If I knew I could take a relatively affordable train downtown from the lovely hotel at the airport or elsewhere it would make it really no big deal and would probably solve things for the most part.

Also what ever happened to Gen Con running the shuttles they had that one year? I remember it being Very Cramped and the the shuttles were super late but it seemed like a more affordable way to get there from all these outskirts we are banished to.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Syntaxed posted:

The biggest thing that makes no loving sense is WHY ISN'T THERE A LIGHT RAIL FROM AIRPORT TO DOWNTOWN??? Any sort of mass transit option would make it way easier instead of relying on Uber/Lyft madness to get from all these outskirts to the main hubs/downtown. They even have footbaw games and other stuff.

unfortunately, america

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Syntaxed posted:

Also what ever happened to Gen Con running the shuttles they had that one year? I remember it being Very Cramped and the the shuttles were super late but it seemed like a more affordable way to get there from all these outskirts we are banished to.

I am guessing the shuttles either wern't enough, they were under utilized, or they wern't profitable. I used the shuttle program once around 2013 when I stayed at Candlewood Suites which was like 2 miles from the ICC. I loved it, and also never had problems with the shuttle being late or being too full or anything. Quite the opposite in fact, at least when I went to Gen Con those days the shuttle was almost empty on the way there, and there were more people on the way back but it was by no means full. It really had me wonder if enough people had bought shuttle tickets to make it worth it.

Granted, that was my experience at a closeish hotel. I have no idea what the shuttles were like for the masses out by the airport, and I could easily see for them it being the opposite problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

nesbit37 posted:

Granted, that was my experience at a closeish hotel. I have no idea what the shuttles were like for the masses out by the airport, and I could easily see for them it being the opposite problem.

I was at a hotel near the airport the first year the shuttles were running. It worked eventually, but it was kind of a poo poo show at the start. The hotel I was in was apparently the 4th stop for pick-up on the route. What was happening is that an empty bus would start it's route, hit the first three hotels, fill up, then go to the convention center. Then this would repeat, so the bus would never make it to our hotel. Some phone calls were made and it was eventually resolved, but it was over an hour before a bus made it to pick us up. Also, if memory serves, the company running the shuttles had to sub-contract other companies because they couldn't meet the demand. I didn't use them the second year so I can't speak to that.