Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ultraviolence123 posted:

Cauldron Films' The Houses of Doom Fulci / Lenzi boxset is up for pre-order at their website and Diabolik. Four movies (The House of Clocks, The Sweet House of Horrors, The House of Lost Souls and The House of Witchcraft) and two CDs with the soundtracks. If you're like me and have bad taste in entertainment and hate having money in your bank account, don't sleep on this set.

Keeping an eye on this. Already hate that I missed out on the Criterion sale but I'm steadfast on Vinegar Syndrome stuff being my priority when it comes to new releases, I don't make any moves till I see what drops on the 1st of each month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the last DVD I bought was a still new in-shrink copy of American Splendor.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

dorium posted:

the last DVD I bought was a still new in-shrink copy of American Splendor.

Thanks for reminding me to rewatch that.

Should any boutique eventually do a Blu, they'd best include that little comic book in the package :colbert:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I always think DVDs are gonna look like poo poo now but every once in a while I watch one because it’s the only copy I own and it’s not on streaming or whatever, and they usually look fine. Side-by-side to blu of course they look worse and the level of detail isn’t there, but while actually watching it the image mostly just looks soft to me, not ugly. Depends on the DVD though.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

that dvd set of porky pig black and white shorts looked great

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'll keep buying DVDs just like I'll keep buying Blu-Rays

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gey muckle mowser posted:

I always think DVDs are gonna look like poo poo now but every once in a while I watch one because it’s the only copy I own and it’s not on streaming or whatever, and they usually look fine. Side-by-side to blu of course they look worse and the level of detail isn’t there, but while actually watching it the image mostly just looks soft to me, not ugly. Depends on the DVD though.

I always find dvd packaging these days to also feel cheap and icky. And since im collecting this, I want them to be as premium as possible. I honestly skip releases if they're barebones. Like Upgrade. Passed on it until shout released the 4k boutique one. \

I like it when a movie i like gets a cool premium thing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Do you remember way back in the day there were these like, half thickness DVD cases, and some people with huge DVD collections replaced their regular cases with the thin cases to save space?

I was reminded of that the other day because I saw some DVDs in those cases in a Little Free Library, and it got me thinking about how physical media collecting has changed over the past couple decades. It used to be mainly about the utility, the ability to have all these movies and TV shows at your fingertips. But as streaming and PLEX servers or whatever became more prominent, now the focus has shifted to the artifacts themselves. The utility is definitely still there, but if someone went into a physical media collector forum nowadays and suggested throwing out all your regular blu ray cases and putting the discs in more compact cases to save space, I think they would be murdered.

You see it in stuff like slipcovers and steelbooks. Both of which existed back in the old DVD cases, but are now way bigger parts of the collecting hobby.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
DVDs kick rear end because they're 25 cents at the thrift store!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

DVDs kick rear end because they're 25 cents at the thrift store!
Also way better menus.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m content with my Violent poo poo dvds, I don’t see what a 4k upscale would bring to the table.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

You know what’s a good looking dvd? Hot & Saucy Pizza Girls.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Sniep posted:

i'm really getting nervous that I see new releases coming out on DVD only, no HD at all

A lot of brick and mortar stores that used to sell Blu-ray are pivoting to DVD only as well, Walmart especially

What are some examples? I couldn’t find any major examples, only stuff like TV shows or obscure movies for old people.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Cemetry Gator posted:

What are some examples? I couldn’t find any major examples, only stuff like TV shows or obscure movies for old people.

Maybe it's just my local walmart. I don't see many blus, maybe a total of 3-4 speckled in with 20-30 DVDs. And of course the bin for $5 bob-for-movies bin is just DVDs now, but those bob-for-movies in Blu only lasted a couple years when they existed.

I'll try to remember the next time it comes up. I have had it where I couldn't get an HD of something becuase it was originated on some streaming service but there was a DVD available, i just can't remember what it was now.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 1, 2024

pwn
May 27, 2004

I bought the Days of Bagnold Summer DVD when it came out in 2021, and a year later the Blu-ray was released on an obscure UK boutique (Anti Worlds). Now did my DVD purchase contribute to it eventually getting picked up for a Blu? No idea. I'm just glad to have it.

But if a title only gets a DVD release and it doesn't sell well, they are very unlikely to pour more money into it for a Blu or god forbid UHD, which both cost exponentially more to produce than DVDs. If you like the movie and want to own it, show that with your wallet and you just may get an upgrade.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Arrow cancelled my long-standing Dark Water 4K pre-order because it's "no longer available. We have tried to source further stock but we have been unsuccessful, sorry to disappoint you."

That sucks!

micpp
Jul 21, 2007
One shall stand, one shall fall

A Big... Dog posted:

Arrow cancelled my long-standing Dark Water 4K pre-order because it's "no longer available. We have tried to source further stock but we have been unsuccessful, sorry to disappoint you."

That sucks!

I've seen reports of this happening to lots of people - I suspect it is some sort of stuffup on Arrow's part, it's too early to know anything but fingers crossed they can like idk uncancel them?

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Some DVDs look good still. Anchor Bay put out a bunch of stuff that seems unlikely to get a HD release anytime soon (Kenny & Company now please!!), those look pretty good for a DVD as long as they are anamorphic. It's shocking to me how bad the major studio DVDs look though. A lot of stuff that Warner and Paramount released are mid at best, mostly awful. New Line's discs are pretty bad too. Single layer discs - shudders.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

micpp posted:

I've seen reports of this happening to lots of people - I suspect it is some sort of stuffup on Arrow's part, it's too early to know anything but fingers crossed they can like idk uncancel them?

What in the actual gently caress. I woke up to see 3 Arrow items cancelled.

Basket Case limited edition 4k (that I preordered back in January)
Dune 1984 4k and Robocop 4k that I ordered during their Valentine's Day sale.

I kinda understand the items from that sale being canceled, but how the gently caress do you do that on a PREORDER. You're supposed to manufacture enough to cover preorders. Really leaves a sour taste in my mouth for ordering stuff direct from them.

edit: But I can still pre-order Basket Case again. What the hell.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 1, 2024

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The same thing happened to me for The Warriors a few months ago. I just had to re-establish my order and it arrived safely shortly after but it definitely gave me the same frustration especially because I swear they made me pay twice or something. In the end I have my Warriors set and I'll be ordering third-party in the future.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Between that and all the delay+defect announcements they've made the past year, I understand Arrow might be stressed out by demand or supply issues but it's definitely made me more cautious about them. They used to be super reliable so I don't doubt it's a temporary issue/they'll get it sorted eventually, but I've had better things to say lately preordering stuff from VS or Severin or Criterion or Radiance. Sucks, they were my favorite label for a while. The Shinya Tsukamoto boxset is basically one of my go-to's for recommendations/the type of stuff I want people trying to put together

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Chris James 2 posted:

They used to be super reliable so I don't doubt it's a temporary issue/they'll get it sorted eventually, but I've had better things to say lately preordering stuff from VS or Severin or Criterion or Radiance.

They got bought out two years ago by the parent company of Zavvi, a notoriously lovely company called The Hut. Just talking to people more in the know than me and I get the impression the rot has well and truly set in.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Arrow says:

"We are sorry for any frustration and confusion caused by the unexpected cancellation of your Arrow pre-order(s). You should have received a cancellation email detailing this earlier today.

Upgrading our systems has inadvertently cancelled your pre-order(s), and we’re doing all we can as a matter of priority to prevent this happening again the future. Unfortunately, cancelled orders cannot be reinstated, and you must place your order again if you still want to purchase this product."

With no refund yet, and the product being sold out... Not sure I'll bother.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I just finished this set. I wish DVD TV sets didn't take up so much space, I've collected a bunch of them over the last few years.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Monk being released on Blu-Ray by KL is great for many reasons but a big one is how you can fit four seasons in the space where two once stood.

I love how Discotek has series' that were originally SD and they have ways to fit entire shows on one or two discs even with a few extras and a bit of upscaling.

I'm amazed Seinfeld hasn't been given that treatment yet.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I only want a proper 4:3 Seinfeld boxset in HD. Everyone knows it can be done, we already went through this when The Simpsons went HD Streaming. Stop punching in to 16:9 just because dumb dumbs get angry the picture doesnt fill the TV.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, it feels like such an easy slam dunk release. Get 4:3 Seinfeld, fit a season or two on one disc, a whole box set would be, like, a third the size of the DVDs. I'm surprised more people aren't doing what Discotek does to fit a whole bunch of data in a small form factor.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There are certain series though, like a Seinfeld or Friends or The Simpsons, where they're such long-term cash cows that I wonder if the studios would rather not put out affordable high quality physical sets. They'd rather continue to be able to command huge streaming rights deals for years into the future, and if the hardcore fans can just buy a definitive and cheap blu ray set that undercuts the series long-term value.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This month from Vinegar Syndrome:

Dr Terror's House of Horrors 4K
Specters and Maya double feature
Singapore Sling
Story of a Junkie
Goin' South 4K
Nightbeast VHS

Partner labels:

The Absence of Milk in the Mouths of the Lost
Animation Night in Canada Volume 1 (14 Oscar-nominated shorts from the National Film Board of Canada)
Another Body
Huesera: The Bone Woman
Jobe'z World
Karate Contra Mafia
The Last Slumber Party
Rebel
Scalper
Severe Injuries
Signature Move
Time of Moulting
The United States of Insanity
World War 3

Only one I've seen before is Huesera. If you wanna try before buy and have Shudder, definitely check that one out, really impressive (and uncomfortable) sound design throughout

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I will strongly recommend Singapore Sling. It's a gross-out noir romance film. truly one of the most uniquely made films I've ever seen. buying this one asap.

oh gently caress a western with Nicholson and Danny DeVito?! I'm in!

Story of a Junkie looks and sounds really interesting, but not enough for a full price blind-buy.

dorium fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 1, 2024

pwn
May 27, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Yeah, it feels like such an easy slam dunk release. Get 4:3 Seinfeld, fit a season or two on one disc, a whole box set would be, like, a third the size of the DVDs. I'm surprised more people aren't doing what Discotek does to fit a whole bunch of data in a small form factor.

Seinfeld is HD so it would take 2 discs minimum per season. The aspect ratio (which SHOULD be 1.33:1) is irrelevant in this regard. I don't even like Seinfeld and I'm sick of this poo poo—give this series a proper release, you fuckers.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

pwn posted:

Seinfeld is HD so it would take 2 discs minimum per season. The aspect ratio (which SHOULD be 1.33:1) is irrelevant in this regard. I don't even like Seinfeld and I'm sick of this poo poo—give this series a proper release, you fuckers.

The more you know! So it would still be more comparable to the Monk releases - still good, and wild that it hasn't happened.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I wouldn't be at all surprised if companies like Netflix negotiate restrictions on physical releases for shows like Friends and Seinfeld. Besides that, if you can keep leasing the rights to streaming companies, it's a steady stream of money with no cost besides the lawyers.

Anyways just relented and ordered the Solid Metal Nightmares boxed set. I come back to it monthly, and I had $30 in amazon credit, so I figured I'd finally blow the money.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Looks like some kind of horror sale on Amazon. Grabbed the Scream 4K trilogy for just under $40 before tax.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
the Small Town Monsters Kickstarter is in the last 24 hours. All four movies they plan on making this year for 90 bucks on DVD, +20 to get them on bluray. If they hit 120,000 bucks they'll do a fifth movie about Ogopogo

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/minervamonster/small-town-monsters-bigfoot-ufos-dogman-and-goatman?ref=discovery

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone else have an impossible time using the gruv mobile site? I have to constantly refresh because buttons never work. I've been spending the last twenty minutes going through my cart trying to remove stuff and it just won't work.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://x.com/PhysicalMedia_/status/1761451368790053068?s=20

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

oh god yes

please be the cover

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
lol that makes the movie look like it's full of sex. Great play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

I’m stoked but it’s def giving: