Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

boofhead posted:

That was Transylvania though, wasn't it? I've never heard of a definition of Transylvania that extended that far east

They're both Trans peoples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Popete posted:

I there is even less political support in NATO contries for sending troops to Ukraine now than there was in 2020. It's just not going to happen unless Russia actually invades Poland or something.

I can't imagine any U.S. president even attempting to bring that up as a possibility.

To touch upon this line of debate, this interesting poll was posted today. Not a very large polling group (2000 respondents) but apparently 44% of Dutch people would support Dutch boots on the ground in Ukraine. Most of them would expect these troops to only do supporting roles like mine clearing. 19% of respondents were open to the idea of Dutch troops actually engaging jn combat.

https://www.hartvannederland.nl/panel/bijna-helft-nederlanders-voor-grondtroepen-oekraine

I wonder what the numbers would be in France, Poland and Baltic states. I definitely would not “rule out” boots on the ground since it seems to be a political necessity in the long run and even has public support if it’s in “ancillary roles” (not sure how safe the average Dutchman thinks mine clearing in Ukraine is right now…)

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
I heard Michael Kofman mention that the US and a few other NATO countries still do not even have have observers in Ukraine, which shows the level of apprehension in getting involved. But if other European countries get boots on the ground it will begin with those advisor and support roles. I could see scenarios were countries that feel most threatened by Russian expansion would lead in that in that, giving the public support for opposing Russia. And since Russia already thinks they are fighting NATO, they could not really escalate things if Poland, Estonia, Latvia, or others have some troops in Ukraine.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

jaete posted:

it's a given that Putin will seek to invade NATO countries such as Poland when he's done with Ukraine

I'm sorry, where is this coming from? I don't doubt that Putin has plans to destabilize and exploit political divisions in this part of the world (he's already doing it) but a full scale invasion of a core nato member, as long as nato exists, would not go well for him and even he must know that. The idea that he's going to wrap up in Ukraine and then immediately roll on Warsaw (then berlin? paris? london?) seems ludicrous to me.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I'm sorry, where is this coming from? I don't doubt that Putin has plans to destabilize and exploit political divisions in this part of the world (he's already doing it) but a full scale invasion of a core nato member, as long as nato exists, would not go well for him and even he must know that. The idea that he's going to wrap up in Ukraine and then immediately roll on Warsaw (then berlin? paris? london?) seems ludicrous to me.

We, the experts and the public opinion have said the same thing about starting a land war in Ukraine. We have had lengthy discussions in this very thread about if the war is in any way rational, logical or economicaly viable.

The only deterrent would be force and even that might not be enough. We cannot prepare for an "if" situation, we can only delay the "when" as long as possible, as long as the current government of Russia is in power. Maybe we might delay the war long enough for Putin to leave office, one way or another, but as long as things at the top won't change, we can't just assume that further war won't happen.

As for reasons, oh they're plenty: old Russian territories, Russian minorities in Eastern Poland, connecting the Królewiec oblast with the main country by ways other then annexing Belarus and, the one I personally see as the most likely to be used by Moscow, Poland will soon start the construction of our nuclear power plants. And as we know from what the US was doing in the middle east, once a country becomes nuclear, what's stopping them from building bombs? Small, weak Russia would be scared of their big, nuclear powered Polish neighbour.

Hell, invoking Iran might be how the useful idiots in USA will be converted to believing Russia has the right to go further.

So yeah, I think that we need to be ready. "This is absurd!" - yes, yes it is. So is the current war.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Kikas posted:

So yeah, I think that we need to be ready. "This is absurd!" - yes, yes it is. So is the current war.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be prepared, I live in Poland and I don't take Putin's word that he's not interested in Poland for poo poo. But I think saying it's inevitable or a certainty is not supported. And it honestly makes the argument for military buildup in Europe seem worse and fringe.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Putin has a very publicly known list of countries to annex and take over after the original Ukraine plan. Belarus, Moldova, Georgia, Kazakhstan and then hypothetically unaligned Finland. I'm sure the Poland plan would happen eventually, given enough time and resources, but that's after NATO collapses with right wing governments wrecking havoc across Europe. So not in our lifetime. We might as well file this under a complete fantasy scenario, given the circumstances

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nitrox posted:

Putin has a very publicly known list of countries to annex and take over after the original Ukraine plan. Belarus, Moldova, Georgia, Kazakhstan and then hypothetically unaligned Finland. I'm sure the Poland plan would happen eventually, given enough time and resources, but that's after NATO collapses with right wing governments wrecking havoc across Europe. So not in our lifetime. We might as well file this under a complete fantasy scenario, given the circumstances

Putin's pretty old so it's safe to say it's not going to happen considering the current pace. Does Putin have a successor? Hoarding all that political power has its downsides, especially for his legacy.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I'm not saying we shouldn't be prepared, I live in Poland and I don't take Putin's word that he's not interested in Poland for poo poo. But I think saying it's inevitable or a certainty is not supported. And it honestly makes the argument for military buildup in Europe seem worse and fringe.

The precondition here is that Russia manages to win in Ukraine, and not just win, but basically keep all of its territorial gains and make what remains of Ukraine into a neutral buffer state. It's extremely improbable, but if it happens, the likeliness of Russia attacking NATO directly would increase exponentially. If Putin sees that NATO couldn't stop him in Ukraine, 'protecting Russians in Baltic countries' is the obvious next step. If the precondition is not met, however, the likeliness of that remains very low.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Paladinus posted:

The precondition here is that Russia manages to win in Ukraine, and not just win, but basically keep all of its territorial gains and make what remains of Ukraine into a neutral buffer state. It's extremely improbable, but if it happens, the likeliness of Russia attacking NATO directly would increase exponentially. If Putin sees that NATO couldn't stop him in Ukraine, 'protecting Russians in Baltic countries' is the obvious next step. If the precondition is not met, however, the likeliness of that remains very low.

But this is not what I was responding to, I was responding to a guy saying that the next logical step, no, the next inevitable step, was a full scale invasion of Poland. It's not impossible, but it's neither inevitable nor a likely "next step".

EDIT: Not disagreeing with what you said, just pointing out that the guy I was responding to was, in fact, saying something I think is pretty fringe and unlikely.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 29, 2024

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

That all assumes that NATO in current form even exist after 5 years.

Border countries are concerned for good reason.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 29, 2024

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Deltasquid posted:

To touch upon this line of debate, this interesting poll was posted today. Not a very large polling group (2000 respondents) but apparently 44% of Dutch people would support Dutch boots on the ground in Ukraine. Most of them would expect these troops to only do supporting roles like mine clearing. 19% of respondents were open to the idea of Dutch troops actually engaging jn combat.

https://www.hartvannederland.nl/panel/bijna-helft-nederlanders-voor-grondtroepen-oekraine

I was surprised how high these numbers are, but then realised that the poll doesn't say on whose side they'd be fighting in Ukraine :v:

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1763180896348258459

Clancychat it may be, but Russia is definitely rattled by talk of western troops in Ukraine and they've drawn a new red line around it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

But this is not what I was responding to, I was responding to a guy saying that the next logical step, no, the next inevitable step, was a full scale invasion of Poland. It's not impossible, but it's neither inevitable nor a likely "next step".

EDIT: Not disagreeing with what you said, just pointing out that the guy I was responding to was, in fact, saying something I think is pretty fringe and unlikely.

I'd consider the Baltic States to be next on the list, not Poland. They've still got demographic scars from the 1940 occupation.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Morrow posted:

Clancychat it may be, but Russia is definitely rattled by talk of western troops in Ukraine and they've drawn a new red line around it.

I've braved excement filled waters of Konsomolskaya Pravda to give you this turd:
https://www.kp.ru/daily/27572/4896783/
"it is internal problems in France that push Macron to implement such “external” projects. Since complex unresolved issues with both farmers and emigrants cannot be resolved in France in the short term, Macron decided that it was time to involve the fifth republic in the “Ukrainian project” in full. To the point that, for example, French farmers who will now fall under criminal liability as a result of protest actions can, provided their criminal sentences are lifted, be recruited into the Foreign Legion to be sent to Ukraine."

Emphasis mine, since it's funny look into mindset of Kremlin propagandist and pretty strong projection. Of course it's normal for a country to throw people into prison to then pipeline them into PMC-like deniable units..

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It looks like Ukraine's support of Israel's war with Hamas has paid off. Israel's ambassador to the UN called Ukraine an "ally" yesterday ands attacked Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Israel said they will provide Ukraine with early warning systems to help detect incoming missiles.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I think it's more Russia supporting Hamas that did it. I don't recall Ukrainian Government sending any strong statements in support of Israel.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

alex314 posted:

I think it's more Russia supporting Hamas that did it. I don't recall Ukrainian Government sending any strong statements in support of Israel.

Ukraine did seem to make a special point of condemning Hamas.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/9/essence-is-the-same-ukraines-zelenskyy-likens-hamas-to-russia

Russia's October response was slower and more guarded in condemning the Hamas attack:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/10/09/russia-hamas-israel-iran-ukraine/

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

alex314 posted:

They absolutely did, and it was a pretty blatant political maneuver to boot.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I might have missed it. I don't track Israel-Palestine too closely. I do remember Russia receiving Hamas delegation.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

alex314 posted:

I might have missed it. I don't track Israel-Palestine too closely. I do remember Russia receiving Hamas delegation.

Hamas is run by Iran, which is supplying Russia - so Ukraine's sympathies would be pretty clear.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

They absolutely did, and it was a pretty blatant political maneuver to boot.

I think Zelensky did shortly after 10/7 because Ukraine had been actively courting Israeli support for a while but I thought there was almost nothing since then officially. Could be wrong though.

ex: 10/7 condemning attacks:
https://www.reuters.com/world/ukraines-zelenskiy-condemns-terrorist-attack-israel-2023-10-07/

and it's been more neutral statements about protecting civilians since:
https://mfa.gov.ua/en/news/zayava-mzs-ukrayini-shchodo-zhertv-u-likarni-al-agli-v-sektori-gaza

I'm not sure if I missed anything else though, it seems like a political quagmire Ukraine would not want to be involved with.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

I wonder what the numbers would be in France, Poland and Baltic states. I definitely would not “rule out” boots on the ground since it seems to be a political necessity in the long run and even has public support if it’s in “ancillary roles” (not sure how safe the average Dutchman thinks mine clearing in Ukraine is right now…)

2000 is a normal-sized polling group, so it's probably a reasonable poll if the questions are well-asked, etc.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I was surprised how high these numbers are, but then realised that the poll doesn't say on whose side they'd be fighting in Ukraine :v:

I'd uh, be shocked if Poles wanted to help Russian invade anyone near them.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Yeah, you're right; that was hyperbole on my part and I'm sorry.

The point I was trying to make stands though: with Macron & others starting to talk about an absolute disaster scenario, to me that means those people think that said absolute disaster scenario is now sufficiently likely to actually happen that we all (in Europe) need to start seriously preparing for it. Or at least, we should talk about it and think about it and keep it in mind. But also prepare. I don't mean Putin will invade NATO tomorrow, but in 3 years, 5 years, 10 years, the possibility absolutely cannot be ignored, and neither can the fact that ramping up the various militaries will also take many years (so we should start now).

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Oops wrong thread

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 1, 2024

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Deteriorata posted:

Hamas is run by Iran, which is supplying Russia - so Ukraine's sympathies would be pretty clear.

Ukraine's sympathies lie with Ukraine. From early on in 2022 it has been on a concerted campaign to obtain support from all over the world (it accepts Chinese support readily despite China also supporting Russia) and Israel with its modern military equipment has been one of the avenues from well before the increased Hamas activity.

ie, it is nothing to do with Iran that Ukraine is trying to curry favour of Israel. If Hamas could help and it could get Hamas support without alienating the much more lucrative Israel, it would.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Morrow posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1763180896348258459

Doesn't he say this about literally everything

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

cr0y posted:

Isn't it usually Medvedev who starts screaming about how London and Washington will burn in nuclear hellfire for this assault on Mother Russia every time he stubs his toe?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

dennyk posted:

Isn't it usually Medvedev who starts screaming about how London and Washington will burn in nuclear hellfire for this assault on Mother Russia every time he stubs his toe?

Bad cop, Demented Alcoholic Cop routine

---

Meanwhile, here goes another round of discourse around 2022 ceasefire talks

https://www.wsj.com/world/russia-ukraine-peace-deal-2022-document-6e12e093

The curious thing there is how eager Kremlin was to give up on the East (in practice it probably would have meant Minsk 3, with the status of regions being murky beyond belief).

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 1, 2024

Dog on Fire
Oct 2, 2004

cr0y posted:

I wonder if news outlets truly think this is news, or if they feel they just need to report on everything this dictator says, or if they simply report it because it gets clicks.

Anyway, about NYT's quote about the same thing:

NYT posted:

NATO countries that were helping Ukraine strike Russian territory or that might consider sending their own troops must understand that “all this truly threatens a conflict with the use of nuclear weapons, and therefore the destruction of civilization,” Putin said.

Like this idiot knows anything about civilization.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

His words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Morrow posted:

All Putin has is the red marker, he doesn't own any other colors any more.

Anyway, yeah, this is the value of Macron's talk; Putin is clearly rattled by it. He knows his only prayer of victory here is western non-involvement.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Dog on Fire posted:

I wonder if news outlets truly think this is news, or if they feel they just need to report on everything this dictator says, or if they simply report it because it gets clicks.

I mean, it's pretty reasonable to report on what Putin is saying, even if it's a bit ridiculous.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Deteriorata posted:

Iran does not run Hamas, to my knowledge. Did something change?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
https://breakingdefense.com/2024/02/with-a-year-long-cr-a-real-possibility-the-service-under-secretaries-sound-the-alarm/

This is an interesting article if you think through the implications for Ukraine. Russia's intelligence operation to capture the US Republican party has been so successful, it is effectively preventing the US from replenishing its own munition stocks and starting new programs. Without the ability to replenish munitions, the US has less to give Ukraine. When we will in the West wake the gently caress up and start hard-closing network lines to/from Russia? It's not like the Internet broadcasts in the magical Aether. It's mostly still physical fiber and copper wires on the ground.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

https://breakingdefense.com/2024/02/with-a-year-long-cr-a-real-possibility-the-service-under-secretaries-sound-the-alarm/

This is an interesting article if you think through the implications for Ukraine. Russia's intelligence operation to capture the US Republican party has been so successful, it is effectively preventing the US from replenishing its own munition stocks and starting new programs. Without the ability to replenish munitions, the US has less to give Ukraine. When we will in the West wake the gently caress up and start hard-closing network lines to/from Russia? It's not like the Internet broadcasts in the magical Aether. It's mostly still physical fiber and copper wires on the ground.

While I do think a LOT more should be done to shut down Russian disinfo coming into the US I think you're severely underestimating just how hard it would be to do that.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

Uhhh sorry this is hilarious
Cutting Russia from the internet won't make your elected officials, high ranking civil servants and dipshit billionaires less selfish.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It is not Russian propaganda sites spreading Russian propaganda in the USA. They are all owned by Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

fatherboxx posted:

Uhhh sorry this is hilarious
Cutting Russia from the internet won't make your elected officials, high ranking civil servants and dipshit billionaires less selfish.

I think the idea isn't that it makes them less selfish, just that it reduces one particular opportunity to express that selfishness. Like, in the way that keeps guns away from unstable psychos doesn't actually make them stable or non-psycho.

Not opining one way or another, that's just how I took the post