Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"It all went, as they say in Wano, according to keikaku!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
looking at saturn boomeranging back to nika after getting flattened, im now completely confident that the one piece is a massive stack of comic books and the main character of the comics is nika the sun god and the bad guys are the elder stars and imu. sora warrior of the sea and germa 66 were foreshadowing, rayleigh said the roger pirates learned the true history and the straw hats might reach a different conclusion about it because the true history is the plot of the nika comics. thats also why they all laughed, the comics are funny. folks i think we can wrap this one up

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I think the broadcast delay makes sense logistically. if you want your message to reach as many as possible you'd give them a few minutes to actually get in front of a TV before you just start dropping truth bombs. It doesn't start playing until Vegapunk is dead (or its set to go off once Kizaru successfully cauterizes his wound with his lasers), and then it's 10 minutes after that before the message actually plays.

What happens if you miss the big Vegapunk announcement cause you were on the toilet and didn't even get a heads up?

Anyways i'm more convinced after this week that the elder stars also have dark cartoon powers

JahRoo posted:

the way saturns legs are moving is reminiscent of snake man with how they’re zig zagging and changing direction. I wouldn’t be surprised if their mythical zoans (presumably) also have some flavor of “dark” cartoon logic that mirrors the Nika power. We saw some kind of weird shadow power from presumably Imu back when they killed cobra.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i need to see huge luffy squashing the evil spider-cow

can't believe this actually happened

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

JahRoo posted:

Anyways i'm more convinced after this week that the elder stars also have dark cartoon powers

yep 100%

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Admiral Pizza-ru

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lmfao

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Dragon sitting on his rear end, writing a big speech in his head to declare a world revolution while Vegapunk and Luffy do the heavy lifting

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Star Platinum posted:

Dragon sitting on his rear end, writing a big speech in his head to declare a world revolution while Vegapunk and Luffy do the heavy lifting

Dragon is using the Luigi strat

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Let's gooo

Curious how he's going to resolve the ethereal nature of the Elders. Are they just satellites of Imu similar to what Vegapunk did? Are they anti-Nika? Are they real?

Don't know if they have "dark cartoon" powers, and kind of hope they don't. I like that Luffy's ability is not straight up Popeye but rather "ability to warp the world based on their imagination", it would feel mildly subtractive if that power of imagination was just something anyone could do. ...then again it is kind of fitting with the series overall theme of dreams being important.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Ahh... Chapter.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I wanted a new state of the world chapter, but not like this!!! lmao willing to see what Oda is cooking by blueballing us this hard. Dunno if I buy it being a hyper keikaku thing, but I do believe he'll have something that'll shift the footage live with a bodycam implanted into him because he assumed whoever offed him would probably be taking his body or something.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I can’t wait to see how Usopp gets credit for this

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I stand by my earlier prediction that the Elders have powers based around fear. Saturn and the others can't be hurt because the scariest monsters are the ones that keep on coming no matter what.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I wonder if the announcement is just a ruse to draw out the elders and the actual plan is to cut to a livestream of the demonic rulers of the world after 10 minutes

Yeah, the fact that it's specifically the Vegapunks that died in there makes me think the pre-recorded bit is a smokescreen and the elders are about to get doxxed.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Also, new cover story!!!!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

This is the first chapter I haven’t liked in probably half a decade or more.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

are you gonna tell us if it was a good ch or not

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:tviv:

Saturn just straight-up summoning the other elders right here and now, holy poo poo.

The "arc timer" actually kinda works here because Vegapunk knew he'd only get one chance to transmit his broadcast, and he wanted to give as many people time to set up equipment to properly view the feed as he could, but didn't want to wait too long in fear of having it cut off. So now it looks like it's gonna be a reverse of the Birdcage, where Luffy & co. have to hold out as long as possible to make sure everyone escapes and that the broadcast completes successfully.

Oda is getting really good at timing his breaks. :cry:

scary ghost dog posted:

looking at saturn boomeranging back to nika after getting flattened, im now completely confident that the one piece is a massive stack of comic books and the main character of the comics is nika the sun god and the bad guys are the elder stars and imu. sora warrior of the sea and germa 66 were foreshadowing, rayleigh said the roger pirates learned the true history and the straw hats might reach a different conclusion about it because the true history is the plot of the nika comics. thats also why they all laughed, the comics are funny. folks i think we can wrap this one up

This was the dumbass theory I thought up a while ago, and now that someone else is thinking the same thing, I'm locking it in and sending it. "Laugh Tale", it's right there, it's a funny story.

Oda did confirm the One Piece *is* a physical thing and not just "the friends we made along the way" bullshit!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Yeah, the fact that it's specifically the Vegapunks that died in there makes me think the pre-recorded bit is a smokescreen and the elders are about to get doxxed.

Oh my god, this would be amazing as a final "gently caress you" to the Elders from Vegapunk. The Elders clearly do not want to be seen in their true forms by anyone except the top ranking marines. Oops, now millions upon millions of people know what the rulers of the world look like, and here they are committing this horrible atrocity on Vegapunk's private island of science!

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

This was the dumbass theory I thought up a while ago, and now that someone else is thinking the same thing, I'm locking it in and sending it. "Laugh Tale", it's right there, it's a funny story.

Oda did confirm the One Piece *is* a physical thing and not just "the friends we made along the way" bullshit!

Oh my god, this would be amazing as a final "gently caress you" to the Elders from Vegapunk. The Elders clearly do not want to be seen in their true forms by anyone except the top ranking marines. Oops, now millions upon millions of people know what the rulers of the world look like, and here they are committing this horrible atrocity on Vegapunk's private island of science!

If the One Piece from the comic book One Piece is a comic book called One Piece then this entire franchise is going to be an xzibit joke that not only came before xzibit jokes, but vastly out lived them.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
cmon we all know the 10 minute thing is dumb as hell. If the information were given out immediately nobody would have argued that they missed an opportunity to let everyone hear and should have waited 10 minutes.

It’s a good comic trick to build suspense bits it’s dumb dumb dumb loving dumb.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Veskit posted:

cmon we all know the 10 minute thing is dumb as hell. If the information were given out immediately nobody would have argued that they missed an opportunity to let everyone hear and should have waited 10 minutes.

Yeah, I'm on team This Kinda Sucks. Feels like he just stalled it so the cliffhanger would hang over the break week.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
presently, my wild guess is that the announcement WILL be interrupted at some point after the ten minutes are up and he gets to start talking for real, but not before Vegapunk’s recording mentions something along the lines of the stuff he’s talking about being relevant to Laugh Tale, leading to an insane scramble as everyone tries to get the ponlglyphs to find the end of the Grand Line for whatever reason (just wanting to know, selling the info, covering everything up if you’re a cop, etc).

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I wonder if what Vegapunk has to say is going to get pushed on down the line. It might get cut off here only to somehow be played closer to a big reveal arc like Laugh Tale. The 10 minutes thing doesn't bode well. Way too much time for it to be forcibly stopped. It's kind of frustrating. It reminds me too much of History of the Occult. Spoilers for that movie: It ends with a man on tv broadcasting to the nation, who knows the terrible truth about the world, but can fix everything with a single incantation. Unfortunately, he spends too much time apologizing for his part in it and gets cut off mid-word. Evil wins because you wasted time.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I wonder if the announcement is just a ruse to draw out the elders and the actual plan is to cut to a livestream of the demonic rulers of the world after 10 minutes

Wouldn't that require Vegapunk to already know about their demonic forms ahead of time? When would he have found that out?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

lmao

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Wouldn't that require Vegapunk to already know about their demonic forms ahead of time? When would he have found that out?

eh, if you do enough research you’d realize the Elder Stars haven’t aged in at least thirty-something years, from there you can probably make some kind of inference if you combine it with a secondary source.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

:laffo:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The last time the story went 'Give us 10 minutes please' it was really dumb and bad but hey maybe it'll be better this time

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Are we mad at streamers or vegapunk or weekly serials? I can’t tell but if you’d like to find out please LIKE and SUBSCRIBE for my weekly 10 minute streams.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
I don’t think Oda is just toying with readers over a break week (“Luffy vs. Five Elders” should be cool enough to forgive any timers), but it is a pretty funny move. Incredible that he managed to put a cliffhanger at the front, middle, and end of the chapter.

U-DO Burger posted:

Even if they’re not literally the same people who erased history after defeating Joyboy, Vegapunk presumably knows enough about the void century to know what kind of monsters were responsible? It wouldn’t be impossible for him to just anticipate this and cut to live video at the end of the recording, knowing that the lab’s shielding would make it impossible for a conventional buster call to stop it and would require the WG showing its capabilities.

As far as I can remember, the main thing Vegapunk didn’t know before the incident started (assuming the recording was made before the Straw Hats arrived) was that Luffy is Nika.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gonna be real the buildup to the chapter release is better than the chapter itself.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
I find it weirdly relieving that Oda still has time to indulge in this kind of classic move. I had been worried the recording would be a way to rush things along and Egghead would be a new weird hole in the ocean in a few chapters.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Veskit posted:

I mean we don't know what the message is gonna be, it might be something that requires people to see it with their own eyes for them to even believe it. If the information was given out immediately, we wouldn't have all of the motherfuckin five elders teleporting in right now to stop the broadcast with only Luffy there to hold them off. Like I know we all got PTSD from Dressrosa, but after the initial annoyance about the delay the second half of the chapter was hype as hell. I promise if in two weeks we just get cutaways to people setting up screens and Zoro vs Lucci I'll get mad right there with you lol.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

This chapter fuckin' ruled, Oda is having so much fun building up to the big announcement. This is a much better excuse for a timer to end the arc, imo. Plus it allows for lots of funny cutaways to the Vegapunks doing dumb gags in the middle of an intense battle :allears:

Besides, we also got Luffy pancaking Saturn and Kizaru, and the new cover page arc, which is extremely exciting in its own right.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i wonder if vegapunk isnt just showing the 5 elders, but also to show the world that nika is real to inspire them

also my hunch here is that oda is doing a cliffhanger specifically because chapter 1111 i think is the end of the volume and a funny number so whatever big poo poo thats gonna happen will be in... 3 weeks lmao

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Considering the WG isn’t above genociding a country or two and the Elders consider humans to be lower than dirt (so do the Dragons but I assume even they can be stepped on if the situation calls for it) I’m curious what exactly it is about the Void Century they’re so afraid of people finding out. Saturn alone seems he could take on an army or three if there was an uprising

Though I wouldn’t be surprised if this leads to them dropping all pretense and turning the government into a full on dictatorship (and/or attempting another global purge like what I assume happened during the aforementioned century)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Electric Phantasm posted:

Gonna be real the buildup to the chapter release is better than the chapter itself.

it was v funny knowing nothing happens and seeing everyone flip out before the chapter dropped