Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MiddleOfMayhem/status/1763607096103428393

Oh right, that well known Christian doctrine of "interdimensional beings". I think they hammered that out at Worms.

yeah. there is alot of weird 40k level "if aliens exist, they are monster goetic demons from hell" poo poo from evangelical right, its really really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It became Christian canon when the Pope formally defined the Abduction of Mary

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MiddleOfMayhem/status/1763607096103428393

Oh right, that well known Christian doctrine of "interdimensional beings". I think they hammered that out at Worms.

The full context is way crazier.

I thought they were just talking about some kind of weird supplemental to the already existing UFO bill Congress passed in 2022.

They are talking about some kind of Christian conspiracy theory about angels and asking the air force to search for UFOs that might be angels.

quote:

Rep. Eric Burlison (R-MO), one of Luna's saucer-chasing partners in Congress, thinks UFOs could be "angels... messengers of God."

https://x.com/MiddleOfMayhem/status/1747420335283327206

And Rep. Tim Burchett (R-TN), the leader of the so-called Congressional "UFO caucus", says evidence of flying saucers is in The Bible and that the literal Devil is trying to stop UFO disclosure.

https://x.com/MiddleOfMayhem/status/1666829924928466945

My recent @nypost report reveals a dubious UFO "religion" that has infiltrated the US government and duped credulous Congressional leaders into hunting aliens that don't exist:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=3RUoYqBewC8

Watch the full interview with Rep. Luna with @GrantMitt3 here:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=klP13AJz4_E

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe the angels don't want USAF fighter jets shadowing them in the sky, seems risky.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 1, 2024

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
gently caress, the lunatics really are running the asylum in the GOP, full stop.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Maybe she thinks "aliens" is a harmful term because it makes them sound like those filthy illegals.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. there is alot of weird 40k level "if aliens exist, they are monster goetic demons from hell" poo poo from evangelical right, its really really weird.

I have a few UFO believer publications from the early 90s, and there are a number of, uh, accounts that talk about there being good and evil aliens. As in, the person says they were in the process of being abducted by shadow people when essentially a classic gray alien (but tall and shining with golden light) brandished a flaming sword and drove away the evil ones. Then the good alien took him up to the starship and showed him the world, and said good is destined to triumph over evil so have faith and courage and do good where you can. I'm at work so I can't check the details, but this is the general idea.

As far as I can tell, it's basically C S Lewis logic: Jesus died for everyone's sins everywhere, so of course there are Christians and anti-Christians on other planets. The rest is a reflection of the individual, whether they're bigoted and insane or just insane, etc. As you said really, really weird.

There's also the branch of white supremacists who believe Aryans came from another planet, while brown people are from earth. Yes, they explicitly frame themselves as the colonizer.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
There is as much likelihood that UFOs are aliens or angels, probably zero. UFO believers are as self deluding as Christians.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Why would anyone who believed that WANT to find aliens? Same as if you thought they were angels. If you truly, honestly thought they were messengers sent from either Heaven or Hell then the objectively correct move would be "leave them alone" not "spend thousands of dollars of tax payer money trying to harass them."

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's all true, as shown in the documentary film Signs

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The full context is way crazier.

I thought they were just talking about some kind of weird supplemental to the already existing UFO bill Congress passed in 2022.

They are talking about some kind of Christian conspiracy theory about angels and asking the air force to search for UFOs that might be angels.

yeah, giant eye ringed thing doing fly overs.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Why would anyone who believed that WANT to find aliens? Same as if you thought they were angels. If you truly, honestly thought they were messengers sent from either Heaven or Hell then the objectively correct move would be "leave them alone" not "spend thousands of dollars of tax payer money trying to harass them."

i mean id be cool with any of those entities existed because then "we are not alone" but yeah, i wouldnt chase down an angel or demon with a jet.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jesus III posted:

There is as much likelihood that UFOs are aliens or angels, probably zero. UFO believers are as self deluding as Christians.

Thank you for your insight.

Well, if monsters exist and they're dangerous, you want to know about them so you can fight them. If angels exist, you want to know about them to make sure you're on their side. That part seems pretty consistent. I guess.

Ultimately, though, most of this stuff is just people using magical thinking to apply pareidolia to a nebulous body of fears and emotional hangups. The shapes they see in their inner shadows are a reflection of the media and culture they were exposed to in their formative years, and/or what kind of environment they were in when the screws came loose.

Even the psychopath grifters ime do a weird kind of free association to actually come up with the content. It's like speaking in tongues, but in pictures that are then put in words. They aren't consciously aware of why they came up with the original foundation. Introspecting on that question is an ego threat.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Some of y'all never read The Salvation War and it shows

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I never thought UFOs - let alone 'UFOs are demons' - would become a partisan issue but here we are.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Jesus III posted:

Amazing post / username combo here, thanks

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Not too surprising to see the mix of religious beliefs in UFOs showing up. I read a couple books a few years ago talking about the connection between UFOs as a religion and folklore. American Cosmic by D.W. Pasulka and Passport to Magonia by Jaques Vallee. Seems like there's a strain of UFO belief that is more religious and another that is more material.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I hope aliens are real and are actually just Asari

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Well, if monsters exist and they're dangerous, you want to know about them so you can fight them. If angels exist, you want to know about them to make sure you're on their side. That part seems pretty consistent. I guess.

Ultimately, though, most of this stuff is just people using magical thinking to apply pareidolia to a nebulous body of fears and emotional hangups. The shapes they see in their inner shadows are a reflection of the media and culture they were exposed to in their formative years, and/or what kind of environment they were in when the screws came loose.

Even the psychopath grifters ime do a weird kind of free association to actually come up with the content. It's like speaking in tongues, but in pictures that are then put in words. They aren't consciously aware of why they came up with the original foundation. Introspecting on that question is an ego threat.

Your welcome.

I have to deal with both UFO and religious believers. I wish we would stop wastng government time on this crap. All it does is bring out the loonies.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I hope aliens blow up earth to build a bypass

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. this is for alot of the moderates who are for some sort of border control/etc and are open to conservative bullshit. folks like my dad, and yeah just like the poll said, they get pissed when the GOP talks big game and etc but imdietly ducks out of doing something because trump said so. I dont care for the bill though it could be way worse, but tying its death to trump and the GOP and biden telling trump "hey, why dont you help me pass this since you talk so much big poo poo" will probably help biden here

That's also specifically the demographic polls keep showing are least enthusiastic about Biden and the issue they're most critical of Biden about vs. Trump, so it makes good sense to sell to the squishy middle how much Republicans don't even care about their own pet issues even if it's not a bill I want to see pass.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, giant eye ringed thing doing fly overs.

i mean id be cool with any of those entities existed because then "we are not alone" but yeah, i wouldnt chase down an angel or demon with a jet.

Exactly, biblically accurate angels rule and I'd enjoy seeing them floating around on earth because they have a rad as Hell aesthetic, but my first impulse would also be "I should leave that thing alone".

I guess in my mind Angels and Demons are different from regular monsters? Like, I can understand wanting to capture Bigfoot or Nessie for science, but the Bible makes it very clear that messing around with Angels is a bad idea.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
God and aliens makes for some almighty out-of this world cope.

It's just another story that's more interesting than reality, and gives us a way out. Same as how people will talk about the "illuminati", but when you equate that to global markets and capital they insist its far more insidious.

It's not, it's just more fantastical.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Exactly, biblically accurate angels rule and I'd enjoy seeing them floating around on earth because they have a rad as Hell aesthetic, but my first impulse would also be "I should leave that thing alone".

I guess in my mind Angels and Demons are different from regular monsters? Like, I can understand wanting to capture Bigfoot or Nessie for science, but the Bible makes it very clear that messing around with Angels is a bad idea.

Nobody in the GOP has read any part of the Bible in almost 100 years.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Killer robot posted:

That's also specifically the demographic polls keep showing are least enthusiastic about Biden and the issue they're most critical of Biden about vs. Trump, so it makes good sense to sell to the squishy middle how much Republicans don't even care about their own pet issues even if it's not a bill I want to see pass.

yeah, it depends, my dad will probably vote biden either way because he wants to gop to "not be trumpists/nuts anymore" but yeah, it sadly helps alot of moderates. mind you i dont think its passing either way at this point,

i mean it kinda depends on your concepts of angels and demons. are we talking like eldrich horrors of unspikable power and cunning that collect souls or are we talking lonely owl twinks and a hell thats basicaly just here but more of crab bucket and everyones some stripe of furry.

BRJurgis posted:

God and aliens makes for some almighty out-of this world cope.

It's just another story that's more interesting than reality, and gives us a way out. Same as how people will talk about the "illuminati", but when you equate that to global markets and capital they insist its far more insidious.

It's not, it's just more fantastical.

I like to think there is some greater stuff out there thats benifecent but yeah, i dont think its any kinda of religion or whatever.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Has anyone ever made a horror movie where the monster is a biblically accurate angel, and the twist is that the main character is the unknowing second coming of Christ, and the people the monster killed were people that wronged the main character (knowingly or unknowingly)?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

also their isnt really a bibilically accurate angel. its more angels have no form outside "light" or something and then take on the forum they need. some have a general forum they use alot but idk its all bullshit and mostly based on weird jewish folk apocrapha, same as demons.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Randalor posted:

Has anyone ever made a horror movie where the monster is a biblically accurate angel, and the twist is that the main character is the unknowing second coming of Christ, and the people the monster killed were people that wronged the main character (knowingly or unknowingly)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ctrYrCfes
i believe this sorta.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Randalor posted:

Yes. It was called Legion and Dennis Quaid was in it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

gurragadon posted:

Not too surprising to see the mix of religious beliefs in UFOs showing up. I read a couple books a few years ago talking about the connection between UFOs as a religion and folklore. American Cosmic by D.W. Pasulka and Passport to Magonia by Jaques Vallee. Seems like there's a strain of UFO belief that is more religious and another that is more material.

I mean I feel like the religious strain is very simple: "Existence/proof of aliens basically blows up my entire religious identity.... so might as well steal them and try to retcon them into my insanity!"

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

USCE 2024: I hope aliens are real and are actually just Asari

gurragadon posted:

Yeah UFOs/aliens are just the new will-o-the-wisps/faeries.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yes. It was called Legion and Dennis Quaid was in it.

Huh, neat! Not quite what I was picturing for a horror film, but close enough on intent. Was it any good? I might check it out if it's not horrible.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dapper_Swindler posted:

... and everyones some stripe of furry.

I was confused by this until I scrolled back up and saw the avatar lol.

Jesus III posted:

Your welcome.

I have to deal with both UFO and religious believers. I wish we would stop wastng government time on this crap. All it does is bring out the loonies.

I wish these fuckers would just fund SETI or something.

Randalor posted:

Huh, neat! Not quite what I was picturing for a horror film, but close enough on intent. Was it any good? I might check it out if it's not horrible.

Good is not the word I'd use, but I was entertained

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Randalor posted:

No, it's terribly paced. It has about 10 minutes of visually interesting horror, then 40 minutes of dialogue inside the diner preceding 5 minutes of interesting horror, followed by 2 minutes of boring horror, and then it ends. There is another hour of completely forgettable filler spaced in between all of that.

The twist is that they think it's demons, but God has given up on humanity and they are all actually biblical angels sent down to cull mankind and the second coming.

I can't remember much else about the movie except that there is a character named "Jeep" and the angels inexplicably have the power to turn blood into acid.

I have saved you two hours.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 1, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Not sure if this was posted here yet or not, but this is pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEtDq7VLQFE

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I was confused by this until I scrolled back up and saw the avatar lol.

I wish these fuckers would just fund SETI or something.

Good is not the word I'd use, but I was entertained

lol. I mean my view of hell has always been either a Private prison for god or a crab bucket society of humans and presumbly demons all loving each other over. with the devil or whatever. my view was always closer to the muslim/job view, where he is a lovely dickhead prosicutor who tried to nudge in directions without directly doing so he can gently caress you over after your dead and most of his fight with god/whatever is because he thinks humanity is a lovely creation and he wants to prove it. i think its also all bullshit but thats more interesting to think about then the american evangelical psycho poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cimber posted:

Not sure if this was posted here yet or not, but this is pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEtDq7VLQFE

I think there are alot of folks like that who just keep quiet about politics because they want to make sweet with more right wing people or dont care about politcs in general.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

No, it's terribly paced. It has about 10 minutes of visually interesting horror, then 40 minutes of dialogue inside the diner preceding 5 minutes of interesting horror, followed by 2 minutes of boring horror, and then it ends.

The twist is that they think it's demons, but God has given up on humanity and they are all actually biblical angels sent down to cull mankind and the second coming.

I can't remember much else about the movie except that there is a character named "Jeep" and the angels inexplicably have the power to turn blood into acid.

I have saved you two hours.

I watched it with a few friends back when I was in high school in an empty theater (except for my poor mother who had volunteered to let us see an R-rated movie) and we were constantly riffing on how awful it was. This is the only way I would recommend watching this film.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the american evangelical psycho poo poo.

Patrick Bateman pointing at a Bible and asking Paul if he ever read 2nd Corinthians.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I watched it with a few friends back when I was in high school in an empty theater (except for my poor mother who had volunteered to let us see an R-rated movie) and we were constantly riffing on how awful it was. This is the only way I would recommend watching this film.

Oh, yeah, I should have mentioned I watched it with friends and we were all drunk and high.

Pretty much any movie recommendation I give should be taken with this caveat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A Rick has hit the three Johns, I repeat, a Rick has hit the three Johns.

A little weird that members of Florida's congressional delegation are joining him for this announcement, but I can't think of anything it could be other than Rick Scott running for Senate Leadership.

https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1763587119044309441