Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Like or hate the 10 minute timer, you have to admit the context around it is very in-character for Vegapunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

oh boy, I now have a whole free week to read about...500 more chapters

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Oda you magnificent bastard. This is a level beyond blue balls.
And I can't hate the chapter, because it has Luffy turning the villains into pizza before throwing them like a frisbee.
Then ending with ALL FIVE ELDERS showing up.

...gonna be a long two weeks.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Gonna be real the buildup to the chapter release is better than the chapter itself.

Sorry, not sorry, not going to care about the Egg Head Island incident because I spent the day waiting for an alcoholic, psychologically abusive translator in constant state of distress, anxiety, and worry about the future.

Refreshing the thread and seeing one new reply was my own "Egg Head Island incident" for almost 20 hours.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I'm definitely of the mind that the 10 minute thing is a fakeout. So much emphasis placed on the need to set up video transponders when if it was actually a lore dump Vegapunk could *probably* just talk about it. And then the cherry on top is Edison saying the odds of them being interrupted within 10 minutes is low as if to goad all of the elders onto the island by making them desperate (which is exactly what happened).

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Oda's razor: the amount of insanely complicated setup or justification the fans think up during break week is inversely proportional to the complexity of the reveal itself

which means that vegapunk really did just forget that it takes time to broadcast things

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Looking it up real quick, the only thing Vegapunk actually said last chapter was that he wanted to show everyone “the truth of our world” and it seems like everyone immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was going to be some kind of void century explanation, as if Oda was ever gonna let that happen pre-Laugh Tale.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I dunno why so many of you are complaining because I think Oda deliberately doing this delay is funny as hell.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Looking it up real quick, the only thing Vegapunk actually said last chapter was that he wanted to show everyone “the truth of our world” and it seems like everyone immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was going to be some kind of void century explanation, as if Oda was ever gonna let that happen pre-Laugh Tale.

True, it’s entirely possible he anticipated this reaction and is going to cut to live footage of the Gorosei in their monster forms attacking Egghead

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I don't see why the Elder Stars having Devil Fruit powers would be a big scandal. Surprising, sure, but just having a Devil Fruit isn't illegal or anything like that. There's a possibility that they really are weird monsters rather than Devil Fruit users, but that wouldn't be clear just from looking at them.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Silver2195 posted:

I don't see why the Elder Stars having Devil Fruit powers would be a big scandal. Surprising, sure, but just having a Devil Fruit isn't illegal or anything like that. There's a possibility that they really are weird monsters rather than Devil Fruit users, but that wouldn't be clear just from looking at them.

its probably an infodump on what he learned but also proving nika is real would be a much more dramatic event

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Back in Dressrosa, the 10min timer thing ground the pacing of the battle between Luffy and Doflamingo to a halt.

This doesn't feel as bad. It's happening alongside the battle taking place, and setting a ticking clock element to this showdown about to happen. I can't see all five elders being defeated here yet, but could see the Straw Hats holding them off for the 10mins to let the broadcast air.

It is also a really funny fake out that I am simultaneously furious about and laughing at. Well played.

The Elders spoke about a "purge" earlier. My little theory is that is what the Void Century is. And now that the world has been starting to inch towards the "truth", whatever it is, it's about time for another. This whole incident I can imagine being the trigger for the Elders and Imu to start one off again, perhaps much sooner than they were expecting. ALl depends on what Vegapunk lets slip.

gently caress, I just love everything about Gear 5 as well. Kizaru looks completely done with this poo poo.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It may be that as a god Nika is powered up by belief, like Goku getting energy for a spirit bomb, in which case revealing him to the world would power up Luffy to an insane degree.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

anime was right posted:

also my hunch here is that oda is doing a cliffhanger specifically because chapter 1111 i think is the end of the volume and a funny number so whatever big poo poo thats gonna happen will be in... 3 weeks lmao

It's gonna be Zoro having to pull out a fourth sword to be able to defeat Lucci :troll:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Someone likening this to like a twitch pre-stream chat thing is hilarious and completely won me over on it lol

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Yeah bait chp but the punchline was funny and the new cliffhanger might be top 5 hype enders in the series, and it's something I don't think anyone predicted

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If anything, this chapter should cover the anime for at least an entire month

rko
Jul 12, 2017

anime was right posted:

its probably an infodump on what he learned but also proving nika is real would be a much more dramatic event

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It may be that as a god Nika is powered up by belief, like Goku getting energy for a spirit bomb, in which case revealing him to the world would power up Luffy to an insane degree.

Vegapunk didn’t know Luffy was Nika or that the Straw Hats would be arriving when he made the video, presumably. Wasn’t he surprised when Luffy showed off Gear 5 earlier?

The idea that the WG keeps all these secrets because knowledge of the void century would impact people’s beliefs and imaginations would be a natural plot move, but I don’t know how much I love Spirit Bomb Luffy. Remains to be seen!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I don't know much about egg head but I do like Atlas

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

probably a whole chapter of people reacting to the announcement with shock but we dont actually find out what it was until much later

Instead we had a whole chapter of people reacting to the preamble.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Seeing Vegapunk’s lifeless corpse was pretty sad. Goodbye goofy morally questionable scientist man.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Yeah, the fact that it's specifically the Vegapunks that died in there makes me think the pre-recorded bit is a smokescreen and the elders are about to get doxxed.

"I've come to make an announcement; Elder Star Jaygarcia Saturn's a bitch rear end motherfucker."

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

hatty posted:

Seeing Vegapunk’s lifeless corpse was pretty sad. Goodbye goofy morally questionable scientist man.

Kinda hard to tell if he's dead. His tongue hangs out like that regardless. But the killswitch was mentioned so, yeah, rip probably. At least that body. Kizaru sucks. Kills his own friend and still trying to kill a child on orders from an obviously evil spider monster.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

the dead man switch was actually programmed to go off when a kizaru laser pierced his body, but Luffy and co have been playing too much defense and didn’t let him get one off until last chap

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

hatty posted:

Don't be so dramatic that's like the third Vegapunk corpse we've seen by now.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

tbh i don't get why vegapunk had this video set up as a dead man's switch. he already knew he was being targetted a while back, he should've had the broadcast going as soon as they started their escape attempt.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

because it saves a week!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Can't wait for 2 weeks when we find out that the gorosei summoning ritual takes 10 minutes

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

There is something very funny and One Piece about five demons from hell trying to stop an illegal Twitch stream but being foiled by Daffy Duck in god form

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

EVERYONE SET YOUR SNAIL DVRs

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
personally i'm a big fan of the slight expanding the snail lore

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm loling at the idea that some places are too cheap to buy snails with video capability.

"I ain't buying no iSnail, this old Nokia snail is good enough for me!"

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

love that Luffy's hometown is too backwater to have a video snail

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
that and also that they're something that needs care and attention, which i didn't know how i didn't realize since they're obviously living things. i hope they show that in the live action, tbh

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

mikeycp posted:

that and also that they're something that needs care and attention, which i didn't know how i didn't realize since they're obviously living things. i hope they show that in the live action, tbh

There’s a scene in the LA where Garp feeds a snail some lettuce :3:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

There’s a scene in the LA where Garp feeds a snail some lettuce :3:

oh i missed this i'll have to keep an eye out the next time i rewatch

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

mikeycp posted:

oh i missed this i'll have to keep an eye out the next time i rewatch

https://youtu.be/Y0Y9jllShyg?si=Z4MgtOgATsn84iE9

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i love it

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

kind of amazed we haven't seen a phone snail with a fruit power tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

"What position would Yamato have on the Straw Hat crew anyway?"

"Logkeeper"

"What's the point of logging only the last 15% of the journey???"