Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Al! posted:

the url animefeminist.com already makes me want to drive into a tree (in pacific drive)

Why would you risk damaging your bumber (I still only have a crude one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Whirling posted:

I feel like the kind of goofy American culture warriors trying to start fights with the translators over this stuff crave only the most rigid of machine translations a la what your average fan translator will put out, which is weird because machine translation is loving terrible and so are most fan translations.

Crunchyroll Confirms Testing A.I. for Subtitling

Pretty soon the only subtitling will be done either by machine or these insane Weebs

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Gripweed posted:

but Zone of the Enders 2 is really good?

as a game, sure

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

there's an ongoing shonen manga about japanese wordplay that caused the official translator to have a mental breakdown and give up translating half the chapters

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Bro Dad posted:

there's an ongoing shonen manga about japanese wordplay that caused the official translator to have a mental breakdown and give up translating half the chapters

*hammers gavel* for the dire crime of weebery, I sentence you to...Death By Pun

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

KomradeX posted:

Crunchyroll Confirms Testing A.I. for Subtitling

Pretty soon the only subtitling will be done either by machine or these insane Weebs

I hope there's pushback from normal people over this, because stuff like whining over the Unicorn Overlord translation doesn't play well outside of your dumb reactionary spaces, but this sucks.

Anyway, posted this somewhere else, but its very dire that a lot of isekai involves a guy dying, reincarnating (thus proving the existence of an eternal soul or at least continuation of consciousness following death and thus proving the monotheistic afterlife as false), and then winding up into what was in-setting a consumer product's fantasy world. That is existentially terrifying to me, the idea that all fiction is in fact a real world and that you could get stuck in loving Berserk if you're unlucky and that all the insane people on twitter are correct when they tell you that characters can't consent and therefore writing them having sex is morally wrong, but these isekai guys LOVE IT. They love being in their favorite 7000 yen video game, where all the metaphysics are based off the design of like a dozen really old Japanese dudes and the code of hundreds of overworked young men.

Whirling has issued a correction as of 01:49 on Mar 2, 2024

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Are there any isekai's where instead of being the Chosen Hero with an elf harem, the protagonist gets reincarnated as some lovely peasant and gets to learn about life without central heating or plumbing or antibiotics

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

1stGear posted:

Are there any isekai's where instead of being the Chosen Hero with an elf harem, the protagonist gets reincarnated as some lovely peasant and gets to learn about life without central heating or plumbing or antibiotics

tanya the evil, lol

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Bro Dad posted:

is that the one with the huge spiraling text in the page sized textbox

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

1stGear posted:

There’s a manga where the guy gets reincarnated with some kind of magic power that means the government tortures him his entire life to extract his magic and then he dies and gets reincarnated again but this time as a baby he decides to go on a quest for revenge and also help the oppressed monster people he sees as victims like himself.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Gripweed posted:

There’s a manga where the guy gets reincarnated with some kind of magic power that means the government tortures him his entire life to extract his magic and then he dies and gets reincarnated again but this time as a baby he decides to go on a quest for revenge and also help the oppressed monster people he sees as victims like himself.

This is the one, I think. The undead giant priest guy is so friendly looking he's great :shobon:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

1stGear posted:

this is why karate survivor is good. because it's entirely about how much it would suck to be sent to a medieval fantasy world with zero familial social bonds

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

1stGear posted:

Grimgar was basically about a group of isekai teens who find out killing even a single goblin is a lot of hard traumatizing work that doesn’t really pay enough to cover equipment maintenance costs. Lots of time spent doing laundry by hand with their rapidly disintegrating sole set of clothes that they have no money to replace. They live in an uninsulated barn with no plumbing sleeping on straw. Maybe things change in the LN but the whole show is basically about them being trapped in a failure spiral.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Doc Hawkins posted:

tanya the evil, lol

Reading the Wikipedia summary and I have to respect this dude's commitment to atheism.

galagazombie posted:

Grimgar was basically about a group of isekai teens who find out killing even a single goblin is a lot of hard traumatizing work that doesn’t really pay enough to cover equipment maintenance costs. Lots of time spent doing laundry by hand with their rapidly disintegrating sole set of clothes that they have no money to replace. They live in an uninsulated barn with no plumbing sleeping on straw. Maybe things change in the LN but the whole show is basically about them being trapped in a failure spiral.

This looks dope, ty.

Also ty to the other applicants but I can't find a decent translation of Karate Survivor and, uh, Death Attribute Magician has some troubling tags.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

galagazombie posted:

I watched the anime and the pervert character just ruined it for me.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

1stGear posted:

There's Ascendance of a Bookworm but it's mostly about a girl getting reincarnated as a sickly peasant child and then working extremely hard to develop a printing press because books are her favorite thing but in this world they're incredibly rare and expensive and mostly in the possession of the church or the nobility as novelties. It's quite good

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

what no Crest of the Stars fans?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

1stGear posted:

The earliest parts of the Bookworm one are like this, though later much less so.

"Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash" is one where the protagonist fights, but there are a bunch of other isekai-d people who are employed as a sort of militia (and have also lost their memories of their Earth life). They have no special powers or anything (and the protagonist is only of middling talent) and generally join the militia just because they have no idea how else to survive. It's a bit of an exception in terms of attempting a "realistic" depiction of "fantasy party-based combat."

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

is Jin an isekai? it's about a modern doctor getting sent to tokugawa-era japan having to invent basic foundational medical techniques to even start helping people. also the author put up the translations for free on his patreon because someone might find the medical knowledge useful

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
What's the most transgender anime

Aside from wandering son because I already know about that one

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

have i got the anime for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPMK3z480GI

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

tokin opposition posted:

Stop Hibari-kun.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I watched the anime and the pervert character just ruined it for me.

they need a group to hunt monsters at all, but no one is interested in joining these useless kids with no skills, background or resources. so, they have no choice but to keep the stupid rear end in a top hat who fucks everything up around. he's one of the problems they have to overcome.

grimgar's a bit too depressing for my tastes, though.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Bro Dad posted:

Ended recently, didn't it?

I don't think it's humanly possible to translate Nisioisin without heroic levels of substance abuse, and I could do that poo poo as an enthusiast but it sure ain't profitable officially so I feel where the guy was coming from.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
pressing f to the insane people that scanlated medaka box back in the day

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

I remember liking this manga (unfortunately the selection for anime is much smaller) - https://myanimelist.net/manga/118862/Kanojo_ni_Naritai_Kimi_to_Boku

It's a pretty rare example of a manga with a transgirl who doesn't effortlessly pass

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

if we're counting manga then the answer is boys run the riot

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

galagazombie posted:

15 minutes in and I'm questioning how dope this actually is.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tokin opposition posted:

Ranma 1/2

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

1stGear posted:

I watched one where an office lady died and accepted her pastoral new life and just lived a peaceful routine of doing apothecary/witch things and killing slimes in the starter area for 300 years.

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level

I didn't finish it, but conceptually it was my favorite idea of what an isekai should be.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

Ranma 1/2

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’ve been reading Komi Can't Communicate. When they introduced Ase and her quirk, Ase is sweaty, I thought the author was really scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to come up with memorable one off characters. But then Ase became a pretty prominent character with complex compelling relationships with Isagi (Isagi is a perfectionist) and Naruse (Naruse is a narcissist), and it's like, drat you're pretty good at coming up with these high school weirdos.

So now they introduced this new character and I can only be like 80% sure she's going to stay as a one note joke character.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

1stGear posted:

15 minutes in and I'm questioning how dope this actually is.

this has happened to me every time i have tried to watch/read an isekai. "no no it starts out with them trapped in an MMO but later they try to make a functioning government and draft legislation," "no trust me it's actually an irreverent comedy where all the leads are pathetic like Always Sunny" i don't trust like that no more

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I’ve been reading Komi Can't Communicate. When they introduced Ase and her quirk, Ase is sweaty, I thought the author was really scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to come up with memorable one off characters. But then Ase became a pretty prominent character with complex compelling relationships with Isagi (Isagi is a perfectionist) and Naruse (Naruse is a narcissist), and it's like, drat you're pretty good at coming up with these high school weirdos.

So now they introduced this new character and I can only be like 80% sure she's going to stay as a one note joke character.

In case some folks are unfamiliar:
Ashita No Joe is the most classic boxing manga/anime there is, and this its most famous scene:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Suleman posted:

In case some folks are unfamiliar:
Ashita No Joe is the most classic boxing manga/anime there is, and this its most famous scene:

I wonder whether this shot or the Akira slide have been referenced more often. They're both absolutely everywhere and always get a sensible chuckle out of me

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Zodar posted:

this has happened to me every time i have tried to watch/read an isekai. "no no it starts out with them trapped in an MMO but later they try to make a functioning government and draft legislation," "no trust me it's actually an irreverent comedy where all the leads are pathetic like Always Sunny" i don't trust like that no more

In this case, it was more than we are introduced to a gay homicidal pervert who is depicted exactly how you think that kind of character would be depicted in anime and the final ten minutes of the episode were mostly taken up by one character talking about another character's boobs.

I'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt and say its because its trying to foreshadow that these are all a bunch of teenagers stuck in the game, but its still real awkward.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm thinking about the Isekai called The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You

The two different reviewers who put that on their year-end list swore up and down that each of the girlfriends was a multidimensional character. I do like wholesome romance...

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

it sounds exhausting

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Buck Wildman posted:

it sounds exhausting

this is the central running gag for the issues that i read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm thinking about the Isekai called The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You

The two different reviewers who put that on their year-end list swore up and down that each of the girlfriends was a multidimensional character. I do like wholesome romance...

Is that an isekai?