Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MorningMoon posted:

I would not be surprised if Blackbeard knows what the One Piece is to a degree. Like what the nature of it is (a secret of the world, a weapon, a prophecy, a special ship, whatever) and from that knowledge he works backwards to have all the knowledge/spoilers to ease his master plan.

Blackbeard ultimately defeated cause he went on a boring adventure like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

MorningMoon posted:

I would not be surprised if Blackbeard knows what the One Piece is to a degree. Like what the nature of it is (a secret of the world, a weapon, a prophecy, a special ship, whatever) and from that knowledge he works backwards to have all the knowledge/spoilers to ease his master plan.

Blackbeard has a degree in One Piece? That's nuts.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i don't see how he could know what it is. He was too young when the whitebeard/roger pirates fought each other and that was before they reached Laugh Tale anyway. There are only 2 known living members of the Roger pirates and Crocus clearly wasn't well known since he hasn't been hassled by the marines. Of course there are other members around but who they actually are is probably something of a secret. Its different from the superweapons in terms of being available knowledge for sure. I am curious as to whether he'll get access to them because they've been hyped up enough you'd think they would be in the story proper rather than the flash back of the void century and it seems far more likely he gets them than anyone else.

Though I'm still on the Big Egg the roger pirates have being uranus

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

a very brotherly, lengthy flashback that made me cry

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think blackbeard just wants power and doesn’t care who he steps on to get it

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Augus posted:

I think blackbeard just wants power and doesn’t care who he steps on to get it

its stated a couple of times he wants to rule the world and also he named his ship after xebec who also wanted to do that

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

like I don’t think anything he’s done indicates he has some deeper knowledge of what the One Piece is, I think he’s just constantly jumping on the next opportunity to expand his strength and influence

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Blackbeard may be an opportunist but he has some kind of plan in the works. He specifically went after the Yami Yami Fruit for a reason.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah, the fact that he waited for decades as a no-name grunt in Whitebeard's crew on the off-chance that he would one day see that fruit is crazy. His plan seems so specific and calculated that I feel like he must have either inherited it or devised it based on a treasure trove of info he somehow gained access to.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've made it to the timeskip and I'm wondering if BB is going to keep instantly losing every fight he tries to pick with somebody

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Meowywitch posted:

I've made it to the timeskip and I'm wondering if BB is going to keep instantly losing every fight he tries to pick with somebody

Ask whitebeard and Ace

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
He kicked Shank’s rear end once so he was at least lord of the coast tier when he was younger

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah for all people talking about Shanks being strong, at one point Blackbeard beat him and left one hell of a mark.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Blackbeard's won every fight he's been in (eventually (with help))

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We know he wants to create a government aligned nation and be it's king.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Assume that's a means to an end though. He wants the legitimacy of running a WG aligned nation so he can leverage it towards some kind of takeover.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

We know he wants to create a government aligned nation and be it's king.

i feel like the real reason he wanted that was so that, as king, he could attend the reverie and from there attempt to approach the gorosei. why he would want to do that is a mystery still, but i think it ties back to his devil fruit

see, luffys fruit is considered weird and kinda useless, and was covered up. the yami yami isnt considered nearly so lowly, but its still a strange fruit that requires you to take damage and put yourself in harms way to use effectively, and the initially presented juice of it being able to handle logias isnt really worth that squeeze in a world where haki exists. why bring up luffys fruit? because blackbeards is physically nearly identical to it. of all the fruit we have been shown so far both in story and in sbs responses, no fruit have ever looked anywhere near as close to each other as the nika fruit and the yami fruit. i think this goes beyond just luffy and blackbeard being parallels, i think that basically if luffy has the popeye fruit blackbeard has the bluto fruit.

luffy is able to inspire, to bring freedom and liberation. blackbeard locks you down and turns off your powers, powers we have been directly told is the inherited will from a bygone era, the subtext that peoples hopes and dreams and loves and fears somehow became these fruit. and he turns those off entirely. imagine the despair that being limited and diminished like that would bring.

one must imagine a moon god to oppose a sun god, right?

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

If imu is the inverse of Luffy, I still wonder if Blackbeard is a character from a different person who wanted to rule the world.

I still think it’s Rocks but what if it was something like a different incarnation of Joy Boy?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

tragedy boy

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

BB getting completely wrecked in every fight he picks is what makes him awesome.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Terper posted:

Blackbeard's won every fight he's been in (eventually (with help))
Magellan?

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Eiba posted:

Magellan?

Unfair reference as only the toilet can defeat him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

U-DO Burger posted:

BB getting completely wrecked in every fight he picks is what makes him awesome.

Yeah, I legit think it's great that he's not some seemingly impervious force like Big Mom and Kaido were, even if he (almost) always comes out on top of his fights he takes a severe beating in the process and has no compunctions about squealing in pain because getting hurt sucks!

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

PuttyKnife posted:

Unfair reference as only the toilet can defeat him.

Even better, only Magellan can defeat Magellan.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

Its his charm point.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

Most other villains are essentially a static target that Luffy has to reach, and thus will generally win every fight we see them take to hype them up. I'd argue Blackbeard is treated more like Luffy, where he is (or at least was, previously) a scrappy and ambitious underdog who takes difficult fights to advance towards his goal. The reason Blackbeard works as a threat to me is less that he's a seemingly invincible wall like Kaido and more that every time we see him he's grown stronger and has more powerful allies - who knows where he'll be when Luffy finally takes him on?

PuttyKnife posted:

If imu is the inverse of Luffy, I still wonder if Blackbeard is a character from a different person who wanted to rule the world.

I still think it’s Rocks but what if it was something like a different incarnation of Joy Boy?
There being both "good" and "bad" revolutionaries is a theme we've seen several times before (Arlong Park, Drum Island vs Alabaster, and most obviously on Fishman Island). I could believe there was also a bad guy trying to take over the world at the same time as Joyboy was trying to liberate it, who is the ultimate progenitor of Rocks and Blackbeard's will.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Eiba posted:

Magellan?

utterly trounced by blackbeard (eventually (with help))

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I do wonder if Luffy grabbing Blackbeard would let Blackbeard negate His fruit or if it requires his hands like a lot of fruits clearly do

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Most other villains are essentially a static target that Luffy has to reach, and thus will generally win every fight we see them take to hype them up. I'd argue Blackbeard is treated more like Luffy, where he is (or at least was, previously) a scrappy and ambitious underdog who takes difficult fights to advance towards his goal. The reason Blackbeard works as a threat to me is less that he's a seemingly invincible wall like Kaido and more that every time we see him he's grown stronger and has more powerful allies - who knows where he'll be when Luffy finally takes him on?

There being both "good" and "bad" revolutionaries is a theme we've seen several times before (Arlong Park, Drum Island vs Alabaster, and most obviously on Fishman Island). I could believe there was also a bad guy trying to take over the world at the same time as Joyboy was trying to liberate it, who is the ultimate progenitor of Rocks and Blackbeard's will.

Makes me wonder if there are 2 D clans and we just haven’t learned it yet. Dawn and Dusk.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://x.com/bkub_comic/status/1764076730099319226?s=20

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Okay so last week someone definitely linked a tweet which was Luffy pushing together Kizaru and Saturn and saying “now kiss” and it’s hilariously close to what happened.

EDIT:

Found it: https://twitter.com/peixeaquatico/status/1761078919518712068?t=JdxhCggWHVJ4j3cih0hOjA&s=19

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 3, 2024

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Terper posted:

utterly trounced by blackbeard (eventually (with help))

This was just code for "He is in the shitter again"

I really hope that whatever the broadcast is, that the second half is somehow accidently hijacked of Buggy declaring that the Cross Guild is going after the One Piece for most of the world. So the people in the immediate area get some more lore, but the majority of the world is pissed that it's the same guy that kept cutting to himself during Marineford.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Paper Lion posted:

i feel like the real reason he wanted that was so that, as king, he could attend the reverie and from there attempt to approach the gorosei. why he would want to do that is a mystery still, but i think it ties back to his devil fruit

see, luffys fruit is considered weird and kinda useless, and was covered up. the yami yami isnt considered nearly so lowly, but its still a strange fruit that requires you to take damage and put yourself in harms way to use effectively, and the initially presented juice of it being able to handle logias isnt really worth that squeeze in a world where haki exists. why bring up luffys fruit? because blackbeards is physically nearly identical to it. of all the fruit we have been shown so far both in story and in sbs responses, no fruit have ever looked anywhere near as close to each other as the nika fruit and the yami fruit. i think this goes beyond just luffy and blackbeard being parallels, i think that basically if luffy has the popeye fruit blackbeard has the bluto fruit.

luffy is able to inspire, to bring freedom and liberation. blackbeard locks you down and turns off your powers, powers we have been directly told is the inherited will from a bygone era, the subtext that peoples hopes and dreams and loves and fears somehow became these fruit. and he turns those off entirely. imagine the despair that being limited and diminished like that would bring.

one must imagine a moon god to oppose a sun god, right?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

blackbeard absolutely has a tankobon of one piece in his pocket and its the one that explains devil fruit rules in too mich detail

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
so much that doesnt make sense in one piece starts making a lot of sense with this theory, especially in egghead

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
a guy who completely randomly intuitionally stumbles upon the exact personality to have in this version of reality to essentially be god vs. the guy who cannot do any of that stuff by accident but has the very very specific script in his pocket

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
main character vs…. audience????

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Blackbeard is Gary Oak to Luffy's Ash Ketchum

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

a guy who completely randomly intuitionally stumbles upon the exact personality to have in this version of reality to essentially be god vs. the guy who cannot do any of that stuff by accident but has the very very specific script in his pocket

Blackbeard is a big believer in fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Blackbeard is a big believer in fate.

yeah cuz thats what it says in the script. you ask him, hes just reading his lines