Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

Murgos posted:

I could totally see them explaining that away as Trumps 7d chess move to use the forces of satan against themselves but the reason they think Trump is a messiah is because he’s going to bring them to rapture. Specifically by a war on the plains of Geddo as described in the Bible.

This isn’t about criminal repercussions. This is about belief. And I think taking Mammons coin to save his material wealth is going to be problematic for that crowd.

In this thread we see it as completely rational and in character with all of Trumps other behaviors to publicly sell himself to the highest bidder to avoid consequences in exchange for blatant public corruption. But, those people don’t see the last 8 years this way.

They view him in the same vein as King David. It's "god's will" a pants making GBS threads morally and now financially bankrupt man was running the country and will go out for him.

It would be fascinating if it wasn't so awful. They will literally excuse just about anything he does.

As a snipe soother, here's Mr. Biggs from almost 20 years ago.

Independence fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

My question is probably unanswerable, but how much *equity* does Trump actually have? He tells us constantly about the property he owns, and lies about its value, but if he's already mortgaged them to the tits to fund his lifestyle, he may legitimately not be able to come up with the fine amount at all.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

saintonan posted:

My question is probably unanswerable, but how much *equity* does Trump actually have? He tells us constantly about the property he owns, and lies about its value, but if he's already mortgaged them to the tits to fund his lifestyle, he may legitimately not be able to come up with the fine amount at all.

i think it's safe to say if he had the liquidity to cover the bond in its entirety during his appeal, he would have done so already. dude is accruing like 100K USD a day in interest.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Has he actually posted anything yet, or just filed notice that he plans to post it?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Randalor posted:

Buddy, the Drow are the only ones who have the right idea.

Baby has so much booty she's half-spider to support it.

In front is one of the infamous sword-based warlocks!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mdemone posted:

Has he actually posted anything yet, or just filed notice that he plans to post it?

he's done a lot of postin

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Ms Adequate posted:

Legendary own. One for the ages. I salute you, and mourn poor Beetus.

He died doing what we all love, loving drow.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mdemone posted:

Nope. So far he’s just told the Carroll judge that he shouldn’t have to pony up because it’s a pittance to a man of his wealth and thus worthless as surety and also that the fees on the bond would be too much burden for him beyond the judgement. Seems to be suggesting that Carroll pay the bond fees?

He also asked both judges to stay the bonds out of the kindness of their hearts but they both scoffed at the idea. Engoron almost literally.

Finally he asked the Fraud case appeals court to do the stay but they responded that night with a big fat, “LOL, No”.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

saintonan posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say he's leveraged to his nostrils; he's not simply broke, he couldn't reach a zero balance in his lifetime.

When you own the company and you have no board, or public filings, you can say dumb poo poo like, "my name is worth $3-billion!!!"

I am stealing a quote. I wish was mine, and can't remember the author; I'm paraphrasing it to say:

TRump is trapped in a lake of poo poo up to his nostrils, with debtors and lawyers running around him in motorboats, making waves.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 2, 2024

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

PainterofCrap posted:

TRump is trapped in a lake of poo poo up to his nostrils, with debtors and lawyers running around him in motorboats, making waves.
My dad is going to love that.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Edit: wrong thread, my bad my bad.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

BigglesSWE posted:

Stop editing those. We need a new thread title.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Trump Legal Troubles: Edit: wrong thread, my bad my bad.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Trump Legal Troubles: Mouth Breeders have rights too!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

BigglesSWE posted:

Which video game were you posting about?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

SpelledBackwards posted:

Which video game were you posting about?

It could have been about which elf subrace is the sexiest.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mdemone posted:

Remembering that he ran for president as the first candidate in decades to not release his tax returns because "they were under audit" so I have to think that his wealth is mostly smoke and mirrors and I'd bet his net value, if we had to settle the entire score, probably wouldn't look great.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Eh, Rachael Maddow got his tax returns and made a big deal out of them showing Trump didn’t pay taxes, and nothing about how little he was worth, so I can’t see that as evidence. Doesn’t mean he’s not; hopefully we’ll find out in less than thirty days.

Edit: the only thing more innately evil than Lolth is autocorrrect

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Lammasu posted:

Vanyar my homie

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

skeleton warrior posted:

Eh, Rachael Maddow got his tax returns and made a big deal out of them showing Trump didn’t pay taxes, and nothing about how little he was worth, so I can’t see that as evidence. Doesn’t mean he’s not; hopefully we’ll find out in less than thirty days.

Tax returns aren’t necessarily going to establish his net equity, and Maddow would avoid defaming him by making factual claims that weren’t justified by the returns.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

dr_rat posted:

Just checked, bit over two weeks in and the gofundme for trumps legal fees has made a whooping 1.3 million, and don't think it's really gone up much in the past week of that. Even if he was to see any of it -I still think it's pretty doubtful, no real salvation there.

The only thing I can really think of is if the Saudi's wanted to give him the money, and just gave him a loan through say Saudi National Bank which is partly government owned, with no expectations of getting the money back.

Question is what would they even get out of it. The Saudi government certainly seems far cooler on biden then trump, so maybe just the possibility of getting trump in again would be worth it.
In international relation terms between countries like the US and Saudi Arabia half a billion isn't exactly that much. Although does raise the question if someone of some group was looking to front him the money wouldn't they of done it yet? Trump certainly doesn't seem to be acting like he's expecting money to come through.

I can only think they already got what they wanted and the money was just the payoff. Whatever they wanted may not be directly evident ... like looking the other way while something was happening with the Saudi's.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

Trump sued to get Mar-a-lago’s taxes down to 18 million. I wouldn’t put any faith into anything in them.

That said, there needs to be a full investigation of whatever happened at the IRS during that audit. There’s no way they didn’t see the same stuff James saw in NY.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Lammasu posted:

¿Porqué no los dos? It could've been a Baldur's Gate 3 post about sexy elf subraces.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Murgos posted:

Nope. So far he’s just told the Carroll judge that he shouldn’t have to pony up because it’s a pittance to a man of his wealth and thus worthless as surety and also that the fees on the bond would be too much burden for him beyond the judgement. Seems to be suggesting that Carroll pay the bond fees?

He also asked both judges to stay the bonds out of the kindness of their hearts but they both scoffed at the idea. Engoron almost literally.

Finally he asked the Fraud case appeals court to do the stay but they responded that night with a big fat, “LOL, No”.

You skipped the part where they put a stay on his inability to take out loans, which is the funniest part

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 3, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Uglycat posted:

You skipped the part where they put a stay on his inability to take out loans, which is the funniest part

That was lifted for purposes of his getting the bond for appeal, when they asked to have the bond amount lowered or whatever.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So even if he makes an appeal, is the appeal even going to take that long? It was my understanding that his crappy lawyers closed most avenues of appeal off, and I assume who is the judge for the appeal will make sure it seen pretty quickly, and I can imagine if they relying on pretty shoddy for appeal it's going to be pretty quick to deny. Be amusing if some how he does get someone to pay his bond and has to pay the fees associated with that only for the appeal to be pretty much immediately rejected.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

He can't appeal if he can't post the penalty. All he can do is make noises.

Whatever power his lawyers had was spent in the courtroom. They can't do anything substantive outside of one.

Either he has the money or he doesn't.

He doesn't.

He knows it, and he knows that, no matter what he says, how loudly he screams, or how often: people, possibly a lot of people, will know that he is short on cash. Unable to remedy his woes because he is (get this) broke.

I think that this is why he has been glitching out and sundowning harder & faster than usual: the stress of this realization is literally killing him.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 3, 2024

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://x.com/marioella1/status/1758624804410741083?s=20

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

Big lmao if Musk tries to curry favor with Trump by offering 500 mil. But also dreading it.

Pappyland fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 3, 2024

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Hell, Musk has posted tweets that cost him more than that

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
He’d do it no strings attached just to insert himself in the conversation.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I don't understand where this confidence in the Republicans comes from. These last polls favoring Trump, and previous polls, showing that Americans think Republicans would do a better job with the economy is bonkers. The Republicans always make a mess and then the Democrats have to fix it. The Democrats are always blamed for it, though.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Polls seem to have decoupled from results the last few cycles. My favorite theory is that because you only get answers from people who talk to unknown phone numbers, polls are now selecting for the extremely credulous.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

dpkg chopra posted:

He’d do it no strings attached just to insert himself in the conversation.

Musk is probably about as liquid as Trump at the moment (from the standpoint of money and also piss )

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
lmao if musk gives trump 500m to return to twitter

trump really will be the true dealmaker and personally blessed by god if he gets elon to pay him to fuel his addiction

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

SirFozzie posted:

Saw the story about the "Trump Bucks" scam. we're soon going to be replacing the American currency with Trump Dollars (soon to be called Trumps) aren't we? Flashbacks to "Bison Dollars" from the Street Fighter movie.

That's why I'm getting in on the ground floor baby! When Trump takes over, all of us patriots are going to get rich!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

PainterofCrap posted:

He can't appeal if he can't post the penalty. All he can do is make noises.

Whatever power his lawyers had was spent in the courtroom. They can't do anything substantive outside of one.

Either he has the money or he doesn't.

He doesn't.

He knows it, and he knows that, no matter what he says, how loudly he screams, or how often: people, possibly a lot of people, will know that he is short on cash. Unable to remedy his woes because he is (get this) broke.

I think that this is why he has been glitching out and sundowning harder & faster than usual: the stress of this realization is literally killing him.

I thought he was free to appeal because as hosed as our legal system is it realizes "unable to appeal a ruling unless you pay" is bullshit and paying the penalty just puts a stay on having everything he owns sold.

So he can appeal, but the government's still going to be liquidating every single asset he has while it happens, and if he happens to win the government will just hand him a check and say "LOL, sorry."

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Alkydere posted:

I thought he was free to appeal because as hosed as our legal system is it realizes "unable to appeal a ruling unless you pay" is bullshit and paying the penalty just puts a stay on having everything he owns sold.

So he can appeal, but the government's still going to be liquidating every single asset he has while it happens, and if he happens to win the government will just hand him a check and say "LOL, sorry."

It’s this. He’s totally free to appeal within the relevant deadlines and only would have to pay various court fees. The bond is necessary not to appeal, but to stay the execution of the judgment during the pendency of the appeal.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

John Yossarian posted:

I don't understand where this confidence in the Republicans comes from. These last polls favoring Trump, and previous polls, showing that Americans think Republicans would do a better job with the economy is bonkers. The Republicans always make a mess and then the Democrats have to fix it. The Democrats are always blamed for it, though.

Most Americans are stupid and uninterested in paying any attention to politics, and therefore easy marks for pundits and media who spread those ideas. The economy is because of business and business likes Republicans (because Republicans cut taxes and reduce regulations) and therefore businesses and media businesses talk all the time about how Republicans are better for the economy and that just gets absorbed as Conventional Wisdom.

For those same reasons - Americans being stupid and uninterested in paying attention to politics - most Americans believe that Republicans are the same as they were in 1958 and don't see the disconnect between the outright racist fascist kleptocrats running things and the only subtly racist, subtly fascist politicians of their youth like Eisenhower and Reagan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

i think u made that up