Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I posted it before but I've really liked him since that video of him coaching the Special Olympics team. his "I don't like basketball" bit is funny but is getting run into the ground by credulous media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

He strikes me as someone who doesn't like being famous, and it would be cool if we could as a culture acknowledge that being famous is not something that is good or desirable for a lot of people, even if the monetary compensation means that nearly everyone who doesn't like being famous will put up with being famous to get the cash.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that's what the money's for. he isn't paid simply to be good at basketball

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

https://x.com/JoestarJokic/status/1762567304137625927?s=20

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
that's fantastic

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
flash and pomp lol

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

The Kings are getting harder and harder for me to watch.

- Worst free throw shooting team in the league
- Worst close-out team on threes in the league (they allow nearly 40% shooting)
- Bizarre lineup decisions by Mike Brown where multiple guys who cannot shoot with a gun to their head are on the court

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i think id shoot the ball worse if someone had a gun aimed at me too

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

The Kings are getting harder and harder for me to watch.

- Worst free throw shooting team in the league
- Worst close-out team on threes in the league (they allow nearly 40% shooting)
- Bizarre lineup decisions by Mike Brown where multiple guys who cannot shoot with a gun to their head are on the court

They're always gonna struggle a bit on defense with the starters, and with Barnes regressing a bunch the offense isn't firing on all cylinders like last year.

Mike Brown also has the coach of the year curse, sorry

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Barnes has actually been a pretty solid/efficient offensive player since about mid-January (his d sucks though). The Kings bench and personnel decisions are what have bitten them in the rear end and also their high ceiling/low floor play where they beat the best teams in the league and lose to the worst ones

Also they really have only two guys who are consistently above average and even Fox was struggling a bit during 2024 until recently. Sabonis can't carry the whole team

But it doesn't help that Mike Brown gives minutes to Davion Mitchell, Chris Duarte, and Javale McGee while ignoring guys who can actually play like Keon Ellis and Alex Len

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 11:26 on Feb 29, 2024

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

this question is mainly to fart Simpson since he's the only one I know posting from an Exotic Foreign Location, but I'd appreciate input from anyone who lives not in the US or Canada. just a bunch of basketball-related stuff I suddenly found myself wondering about :

• overall, what are the most popular young players?
  • how do people feel about the Main Guys, eg LeBron, KD, Curry, Giannis, Jokic, etc, or are none of those guys really popular besides LeBron?
  • is there much of an awareness about non-basketball stuff, like Kyrie's Hitler stuff or what Ja Morant was in trouble for? or Jarsh Giddey? does that impact their perception/fandom?
  • is there a team that's surprisingly popular where you live or with the country in general? like do people in Shenzen really gently caress with the Pacers for some obscure reason?
  • is there any NCAA presence in the media? any local prospects traveling to the US for school?

thank you and may peace be upon you

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I live in the US but am originally from Brazil and still have extensive connections there. Brazilian fandom is like a heightened version of media attention. The teams that get the most media here in the US are pretty much the only teams that get media there. By far the most popular teams in Brazil are Lakers, Celtics and bulls in that order. Best selling jerseys reflect that. LeBron and Tatum are the leads.

But there is something else besides the media. Video games. Outside of like the brief vignettes you see on ESPN, the main way people learn about the nba is through your yearly nba 2k games. So a distant fourth are the warriors.

No one really has heard any of the gossip outside of that. Sports shows may show highlights, but other than that it's soccer all the time.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that's a great answer thanks

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Brother is Jamaican: the big teams there are the big teams with some Raptors fans because of the diaspora. Knicks have many fans because of Ewing

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

indigi posted:

this question is mainly to fart Simpson since he's the only one I know posting from an Exotic Foreign Location, but I'd appreciate input from anyone who lives not in the US or Canada. just a bunch of basketball-related stuff I suddenly found myself wondering about :

• overall, what are the most popular young players?
  • how do people feel about the Main Guys, eg LeBron, KD, Curry, Giannis, Jokic, etc, or are none of those guys really popular besides LeBron?
  • is there much of an awareness about non-basketball stuff, like Kyrie's Hitler stuff or what Ja Morant was in trouble for? or Jarsh Giddey? does that impact their perception/fandom?
  • is there a team that's surprisingly popular where you live or with the country in general? like do people in Shenzen really gently caress with the Pacers for some obscure reason?
  • is there any NCAA presence in the media? any local prospects traveling to the US for school?

thank you and may peace be upon you

I'm located in Asia and spend a lot of time in China, Philippines and Singapore - so I'll speak broadly but be specific where it applies. One big thing to note is that if people are particularly online and in HK, Singapore or the Philippines, they basically are just r/nba posters in terms of opinions.

Popular young players - Ja, Kuminga, Tatum, Luka, Donovan Mitchell, Scottie Barnes and distantly behind them all Lamelo. You'll notice One Of These Things Is Not Like The Other, and that's because there's a huge amount of Warriors fans in recent years

Main Guys - Curry is a god. KD, Dame, Kyrie, Embiid are all pretty popular. Giannis is liked but you don't really hear him mentioned unless he does something cool. Jokic was borderline hated until he got his ring and now its like... grudging respect. Lebron I've left to the end because he's extremely divisive, with some people still not over The Decision and feeling like he's a mercenary or really whiny. In Hong Kong, particularly, they hate him because of his comments during the whole row where Morey said some critical stuff about China.

Non-basketball stuff - There's some awareness, but the things people care about are different - if they care at all. Kyrie - for example - hasn't had much of an impact to popularity and the awareness of his actions is like "Flat earth and being weird". On the other hand people know a bunch about Klay's time in Asia, and particularly for Chinese / HK fans this is a big plus (I know that this isn't controversial, but it's definitely something I hear a lot more about here than in US circles)

Surprising popularity - The Warriors are by far the #1 choice. Some Hong Kongers pretend its a cultural ties thing, but before they started winning most of the fans I knew here were Raptors fans (lots of people who spent time growing up or in school in Canada). The real surprise is Dallas Mavericks in the Philippines. They are pretty huge, Luka is pretty huge, and I can't figure it out beyond like... They like cowboy stuff?

NCAA - Absolutely not. There's a few die hards who get into March Madness but usually they have spent time in US university. For prospects, well there's just a limited amount of prospects from the region generally - outside China. In China, they play in the CBA and despite that league growing pretty well the ability to produce talent still kinda sucks for whatever reason. In the Philippines they have the PBA which RULES, I cannot tell you how much I enjoy PBA games. However, the talent level is even lower than the CBA and some of that is straight up physical since there's a lot of Chris Paul sized dudes.

A personal NBA story about my weirdest international NBA fan encounter: Was in Beijing taking a taxi one time and just idly chit chatting with the driver, and he asked if I like basketball. I said yeah, and was expecting him to start talking about Kyrie or Curry or Harden or even Kobe, but he instantly comes back with "Do you like Allen Iverson?" We get to talking and I start referencing some modern stars at the time (~2018-19) and he has no clue who I'm on about. He then asks me if I like Eric Snow. So I keep digging into this and ask how he got into the NBA and he apparently got sent VHS tapes from an uncle in Philly when he was growing up, and many of them were early 2000s era 76ers games. He loves basketball but the vast vast majority of NBA content he's consumed is these VHS tapes, so he's like a weird 6ers super homer frozen in the early 2000s.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Telluric Whistler posted:

A personal NBA story about my weirdest international NBA fan encounter: Was in Beijing taking a taxi one time and just idly chit chatting with the driver, and he asked if I like basketball. I said yeah, and was expecting him to start talking about Kyrie or Curry or Harden or even Kobe, but he instantly comes back with "Do you like Allen Iverson?" We get to talking and I start referencing some modern stars at the time (~2018-19) and he has no clue who I'm on about. He then asks me if I like Eric Snow. So I keep digging into this and ask how he got into the NBA and he apparently got sent VHS tapes from an uncle in Philly when he was growing up, and many of them were early 2000s era 76ers games. He loves basketball but the vast vast majority of NBA content he's consumed is these VHS tapes, so he's like a weird 6ers super homer frozen in the early 2000s.

this guy rules

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
it’s like a dude going to japan and only wanting to talk to the locals about stuff that was on toonami 20 years ago, so i respect it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

great post overall thank you and I especially love the Iverson-era Sixers fan. I feel like that singular cab ride had the majority of the times Eric Snow has been discussed on the entire continent

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8piyGXmnk7Q

We have a real Russell-Chamberlain situation developing with two amazing players and the better guy stuck on a worse team while the worse guy is on a future dynasty

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Chet should become a 2003 era francophobe and go all in on calling them cowards and frogs and talking about freedom fries and freedom kissing

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral/status/1763193514374857068

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/DabSquad_Slank/status/1762537925076525197

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Chet isn’t a center but yes he’s still pretty good

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tuckered out

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lmao the Morey/CP3 story is bananas. I hope Josh Harris loses a hand for hiring this man

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Lol

quote:

“I go over to the gym and Daryl calls me. . .He said, ‘I was just calling you to make sure you didn't wanna go to OKC.' I was like, ‘No, why I done moved 15 people to Houston.' And he was like, ‘Okay I just making sure.' He was like I would never trade you somewhere you didn't want to go because you chose to come to us from the Clippers,” Paul said. “I'm at the house chilling. . .next thing you know [the alert] said that I was getting traded [to OKC]. And then my phone started ringing and it was Daryl calling.”

quote:

"I called Melo and said, 'Dog, what's going?'" Paul recalled. "He said Daryl came to his room, and if you know Daryl—no people skills. Real talk, he don't really understand how to talk to people."
Just tell him you're trading him, lmao at this coward poo poo: I was just calling you to make sure you didn't wanna go to OKC
I mean you gotta be sure, who DOESN'T wanna go to Oklahoma?!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
In a weird way Hinkie might have more people skills cuz I presume you'd just get mercilessly traded without the Morey pretense. Don't even communicate if you're this bad at it.
Wow I just remembered the existence of MCW.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Harris should lose his other hand for Hinkie. by far the worst owner in the city. have fun DC

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

God bless Malik Monk

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yossarian-22 posted:

God bless Malik Monk

I didn't watch the game and just checked the box score this morning, what the gently caress happened?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Celtics are annihilating the Warriors right now and its a thing of beauty.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Where was this in the Finals

Porzingis isn't even playing

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
its troop losers night in san antonio.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

indigi posted:

great post overall thank you and I especially love the Iverson-era Sixers fan. I feel like that singular cab ride had the majority of the times Eric Snow has been discussed on the entire continent

He's my favorite cab driver ever, wish I would've gotten his number to talk more early aughts ball.

Second favorite cab driver is the dude who had rigged up a tape deck to the taxi sound system and would blast cassettes (mostly Michael Jackson and Scorpion) and sing along in vaguely matching phonetic English. That guy I did get the number of and would call him whenever I needed a cab ride back from the bar areas to my apartment a couple districts over. He was a Kobe fan :barf:

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Azathoth posted:

I didn't watch the game and just checked the box score this morning, what the gently caress happened?

Malik loving Monk and also Ant left for the birth of his child. Keon Ellis shut down Minnesota in the first half, Monk went off in the second half

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Celtics are annihilating the Warriors right now and its a thing of beauty.

140-88, the ultimate Celtics win...

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

:eyepop:

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

unbelievable how yt Supermancy (Celtics fandom) has infected these forums

do better CSPAM

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

lol KAT's stat line for the first half is 6 minutes, 2 pts 1/5 on FGs, 1 rebound and 3 fouls. wish i would have tuned in earlier to see what the gently caress he was up to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

and it's not the officials, 6 minutes left in the 2nd quarter and the Wolves have 4 fouls total, 3 of them KAT's