Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

It's one of my favorite movies of all time. The cinematography, acting, set design, and impending doom horror were all done superbly in my opinion. I can see people not liking it that much since it drags and a lot of A24 films are polarizing with their pacing. I was engrossed in the story and the family so it breezes by for me but things like Hereditary and Midsommar seem to be 5 hours long to me because I hated them, even though they're similar to Eggers' development of characters.

I also think Eggers can do no wrong so I'm a big fanboy. I like that he named it the VVitch so I can annoy people by pronouncing it Vivitch.

It's so good. I've rewatched it about as much as many film since it came out, and it's always so engaging. It's a pretty good watch with director commentary as well just for how insanely meticulous Eggers is.

Also quoting myself from earlier in the thread on some general audiences not getting it:

Crescent Wrench posted:

Not a bad experience exactly, but the first time I saw The Witch was also at a big chain. I saw it at a random 1 p.m. showing or something on a weekday in a sparsely populated theater. After it ended, I was sitting there blown away by an instant classic I absolutely loved.

My reverie was broken up by a woman shouting "ARE YOU KIDDING ME? JUST WHEN IT WAS STARTING TO GET GOOD!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Leatherhead posted:

Dead Meat's doing their 2024 Horror Awards right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q5qkLksACE
Whether you're a fan of the channel or not, it's nice to see the year's horror movies get their due, and they've got a pretty impressive range of people involved.

I liked James a lot more before he made Zoran his head writer. The guy is simply not funny.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Yeah, I prefer James' off the cuff things a lot more because you can't feel the hand of Zoran the way you can on a lot of the Kill Counts.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Hand of Zoran sounds like a 1930s or 40s horror film.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

New Bracketology movies from Elvira, the Almighty RNG, and a Sick Goat.

Where’ We’re At:
3. Takashi Miike’s The Great Yokai War: Guardians vs. 14. (Samfucius’ Cloverfield +1) Babak Anvari’s Under the Shadow
6. Roger Corman’s Tomb of Ligeia vs. 11. (Weapon X’s Teamsidious) Leigh Whannell’s Insidious: Chapter 3

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST Mar 11th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
2. Wyrd Woods and Macabre Magick vs. 15. M. Night Shyamalan
7. Kôji Shiraishi vs. 10. NYC Grime Connection

Thread / Spreadsheet / Letterboxd List

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/BDisgusting/status/1764689307602686162?s=20
That willy wonkers thing has conjured a low budget horror movie. will probably cost as much as the actual event.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

what in the hell is the wonka experience

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

some meme that's already been run into the ground and now being used to prop up a movie production that needed a hook to get funding and now it has it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Some con artists advertised a "Willy Wonka Experience" for kids that appeared(based on the ads) to be like an amusement park type thing with different games and of course all sorts of candy and Wonka-related stuff.

So they charged people a bunch of money for tickets and then when they showed up it was basically like some throw together half-assed thing that took place in a nondescript warehouse. The parents were pissed off so they posted about it on social media and it went viral.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I liked James a lot more before he made Zoran his head writer. The guy is simply not funny.

I liked when Zoran did the Tremors Kill Counts since he obviously really loves the franchise, but his style of "joke into joke into pun into another joke" can get really exhausting sometimes and doesn't always work with the movies they're covering.

James and Chelsea were on We Hates Movies last week and seemed infinitely more chill and funny doing off the cuff stuff.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Some con artists advertised a "Willy Wonka Experience" for kids that appeared(based on the ads) to be like an amusement park type thing with different games and of course all sorts of candy and Wonka-related stuff.

So they charged people a bunch of money for tickets and then when they showed up it was basically like some throw together half-assed thing that took place in a nondescript warehouse. The parents were pissed off so they posted about it on social media and it went viral.

it honestly is a pretty good horror setup if you’re not squeamish about kiddeath but in reality it was simply hilarious and violence-free instead

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Basebf555 posted:

That part of the story is kinda the less-interesting part; the ironic appeal of the “experience” is that the scammer used fully-unedited chatgpt/midjourney content as the basis for everything - the scripts the actors had to read and perform, their costumes, the various ‘rooms’ of the factory, the wall decorations, the food and drink (technically) served, etc.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I just just saw Malum and I was kinda dissapointed. I think I actually like Last Shift more even though it's a little bit more low key.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm really interested in seeing that even if it's not getting the best notices.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
zoran must be destroyed

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I know it sounds dumb to say that my enthusiasm for a movie took a major hit because of a hair related decision but come on. What is this?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think Zoran did a fine job in the Tremors series. James A. Janisse isn't exactly hilarious and his own writing can go heavy into performative outrage and dumb poo poo like praising Barbarian for setting the movie in Detroit even though he was raised like 15 miles away from Detroit. I also think Chelsea is a pretty big drag and all the Horror Awards/Royal Rumble/Podcasts are meh.

The formula of just recounting the movie and providing cool behind the scenes facts is what gets me to watch. I think James is a great host at that but anything more is typical youtube commentary.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Willy Wonka horror movie where kids break into the chocolate factory and are.murdered one by one sounds like it'd be decent.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

It exists. It's called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and it was written by Roald Dahl.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory made it into the closest thing we have to an Official Horror Canon (Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

I know it sounds dumb to say that my enthusiasm for a movie took a major hit because of a hair related decision but come on. What is this?

a bunch of dudes who finished high school and never left the town back in my hometown.

https://x.com/BDisgusting/status/1764680266436465033?s=20
Caitlin Cronenberg's (of the Cronenberg trio) first movie drops next month.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Basebf555 posted:

social media has not been kind for this reboot. im with wanting a female crow. hot goth chick kicking rear end sounds like a lot of fun

Siouxsie going around stomping people's heads in.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Philthy posted:

social media has not been kind for this reboot. im with wanting a female crow. hot goth chick kicking rear end sounds like a lot of fun

Siouxsie going around stomping people's heads in.

Aw poo poo yeah, that sounds like a way better idea. I love me some Bill Skarsgard being weird though, I sat through most of Hemlock Grove for him. Might give it a chance.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Is that screenshot from the Crow reboot? That looks terrible

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I never really expected anything else, but yes it looks extremely lovely. The girl that played Sarah in the original emerged out from the rock she's been hiding under since that movie came out to talk about how lovely and disrespectful this looks.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

thats kinda hilarious LMAO but i do feel bad for those kids that sucks :/

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

I never really expected anything else, but yes it looks extremely lovely. The girl that played Sarah in the original emerged out from the rock she's been hiding under since that movie came out to talk about how lovely and disrespectful this looks.

yeah i mean the sequels suck but idrc bc theyre seperate stories, i feel retelling the original Crow story, even if its a reboot, is disrespectful to Brandon

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

It's Bill Skaarsgard's hair.

This movie has been in Development Hell for almost a full decade. Luke Evans was cast in the lead in 2014. And Kvlt, Evans agrees with you - he dropped out because he felt it would be disrespectful.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kvlt! posted:

thats kinda hilarious LMAO but i do feel bad for those kids that sucks :/

The AI images used to advertise it were hilariously fake looking and some even had completely nonsensical text because AI still has trouble with text and the conman running the event didn't even put in the effort of trying to fix it.

Said conman has apparently "written" 17 "books" through AI.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't feel like just doing a Crow reboot is disrespectful in a vacuum, but the character needs to be Uber Cool. The look is extremely important, you can't fumble that part of it and still do the character justice. I'm sure there's some stupid internal character-based reason why Bill Skarsgard or whoever made the decision thinks the hair should look that way but this is a role where the Rule of Cool should take precedence.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i think its doomed bc nobody will ever be as good as Brandon and a lot of people are going to go into it wanting to dislike it.

Its also just unnescescary, especially in a market saturated with reboots already

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

also may the good Lord help me but my fellow posters I must admit publicly what i know in my heart to be true:

Godzilla Minus One > Shin Godzilla

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

also may the good Lord help me but my fellow posters I must admit publicly what i know in my heart to be true:

that's true.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Kvlt! posted:

Minus One is a better horror movie, Shin is a better comedy

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm a bit more lenient on the Crow reboot look, because my thinking is that The Crow, above all else, has to carry the aura of "the coolest thing in the loving world if you're 14 years old". It's for the kids, not for us.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

he definitely looks like whatever is considered cool now. like he should have a stupid rapper name like lil lean spice, toot sweet, xXxbangerxXx, da jokah bb. something stupid like that.

genx aint cool anymore.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He’s gonna get revenge on the dealer who made him and his girlfriend od on fentanyl.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

dorium posted:

he definitely looks like whatever is considered cool now. like he should have a stupid rapper name like lil lean spice, toot sweet, xXxbangerxXx, da jokah bb. something stupid like that.

genx aint cool anymore.

Yeah I think people who liked the original The Crow forget that everyone thought people who dressed like that back in the 90s were cringe. The guy looks like a goth Joker and has the same attitude. It stands to reason that a remake would use a look that would also cause people to roll their eyes.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Doltos posted:

Yeah I think people who liked the original The Crow forget that everyone thought people who dressed like that back in the 90s were cringe. The guy looks like a goth Joker and has the same attitude. It stands to reason that a remake would use a look that would also cause people to roll their eyes.

My first impressions aren't great but I'm reserving judgement till we see some more pics, especially of him fully Crowized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Doltos posted:

yeah i very much remember the older cousins that I had when I was 7 years old making fun of the original movie and it wasnt until I was a teen that I looked back on that movie fondly. gently caress i was 7 when the original Crow movie came out.